Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 93 325i
Wink Best Car Care Products! CHECK IN!

Hey guys! So Ive been thinking about making a thread on detailing and just car washing do's and dont's, like what products to use, what to stay away from etc. Im not gonna go into crazy detail, I'm just gonna state which ones are the best and worst. I never thought there was a difference between all the different products but honestly I can say from experience there is a big difference.

I don't wanna put in too much BS so I'll just jump right into it:

I'm gonna start off by saying Meguiars makes pretty much the best car detailing products. So pretty much anything you buy from them is going to be good. And Armor-All is definitely a brand to stay away from. Ive heard alot of different professional detailers saying there products are crap.

BASIC PROCESS: (again not super detailed but it will be covered later)
Wash
Clay
Wax
Detailing Wheels and Tires
Interior Detailing

Car Wash Soaps

DO'S

This is currently the soap I use at the moment and it works great for me. It suds up pretty well and surprisingly gives a good shine.

This is one of the best soaps out there that you can buy in my opinion. I meen theres realy not much to say about it, its a really good product.

DONT's

I used to use this wash before I moved to the Meguair's and honestly theres nothing special about it. Its not that great and I would prefer to stay away from it.

Claybar Products:

DO's

Meguairs claybar is a great claybar product. HIGHLY recomended by me.

The Mothers claybar kit is also a good one. I know alot of people who use it and are extremely happy with it.

DONT's

Don't use any type of liquid clay bars. They don't work as well as real clay bars. In general dont use some random product cause its cheaper. Just stick to Meguairs or Mother's.

Waxing

Meguiars 3 step system works FANTASTIC in my opinion so I high recomend it.

Plastx is used for yellowed headlights. People think that there headlights get dirty from the inside and thats the reason why they turn yellow but its really just oxidation and some other crap. Plastx is an AMAZING product.

Detailing Wheels and Tires:

DO's

Black Magic's wheel cleaner is scrub free and works pretty good in my opinion. Honestly I know alot of people who will agree that all wheel cleaners suck but its better than using just soap..

This wheel cleaner is another O.K one. Ice's wheel cleaners come with a built in brush so you can scrub the wheel. This also works. Again nothing amazing.

Probably one of the best tire shines out there you can buy.

DONT's

DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL FOR ANYTHING. Im gonna be honest, I used to use it and didnt really bother to do research cause it looks like it works well. But the truth behind armor all products that I've heard from detailers is that they DRY OUT your tires.

This is probably the only Meguair's product I really didnt like. I was at the store trying to decide which tire shine to buy and Amber advised against it but I still gave it a shot.... It works great but it drips onto your rims and creates a big mess. F uck it just stick to the spray bottles

Interior Detailing

DO'S

Febreze is a good product to spray on the carpets in your car. Make sure you get the one with "clenzaire technology" or whatever that bullsh!t is. The smell doesnt stay in your car just it kind of freshens up your car if you know what I meen.

This is the best leather cleaner in the market. I LOVE this stuff. Thanks Steven for the good find! It also comes in wipes and in lotion. Honestly I wouldnt bother with the wipes but the lotion and spray is good.

This is for your door panels, dashboard, pretty much anything that's not leather inside your car lol. They're both good just depends which one you prefer.

Little trees makes the best air fresheners in my opinion. Honestly they are the longest lasting products. Just make sure you don't hang it from your rear view mirror cause Chad will break your windshield and pull that sh!t out. MAKE SURE ITS THE LITTLE TREES BRAND not a knock off. My favorite is Watermelon

This has to be the f ucking best carpet cleaner product I have ever used in my life. F uck all that bullsh!t scotch guard or whatever crap they sell. Folex is AMAZING and you can even use it inside your house. AMAZING ON YOUR HEADLINER TOO GETS RID OF OIL AND GREASE. I swear on it.

Other Random Stuff

DO's

I only use Microfibers on my car. Dont use towels or any other kind of papertowel or anything on your car. These just scratch the paint. Microfibers are also used for detailing like putting wax on your car and wiping it off. As well as applying leather cleaner, etc. MAKE SURE YOU FEEL THE MICROFIBER BEFORE YOU BUY IT. I have felt some microfibers that they sell at Pepboys and Kragen that are actually pretty rough. Make sure the microfiber you get is soft.

Use this instead of a brush type thing to lather up your car.

Invisible Glass makes GREAT glass cleaning products. I have never used the wipes but the aerosol can and the spray bottle both work great.

DONT's

I used to use this but Amber yelled at me last week so I stopped. Lmao... But seriously they can be abrasive and will scratch your paint. Stick to microfiber wash mitts.

Sorry for the sizes you guys i tried to find clear pictures. Hope this helps everyone out. I know I learned a lot being here on the fest.

-Andy
Ads by Google
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
Thx Andy!

So all in all, what you're tryna say is buy Meguires products and avoid others

JP man, good work. Thx

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: e36 328i sport coupe
always used maguires and always will they are top notch especially there trim detailer
Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Andy View Post
I used to use this but Amber yelled at me last week so I stopped. Lmao...
She tends to have that effect...

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Search Button Upper Right

Mein Auto: E36 95 325IS Black/Black
Nice thread start Andy

I will vouch for turtle wax ICE products. I Recently splurged on a BUNCH of ICE products for my car because I was buying the Black Box (turtle wax as well, designed for black cars) and I wanted to stay largely within the same brand. I had heard many bad things about turtle wax on the forum, not neccesarily horrible, just not recommended. Well I can say from my personal experience their ICE products and Black Box wax kit absolutely rock! The car wash is great, really sudsy and doesn't leave swirls (as Andy said, only use Microfiber applications such as that sponge he pictured ( I own three now, one for the upper car body, one for the lower car body, and a back up incase I drop one ), their Clay Bar Kit is awe inspiring, it is basically a three step process that requires a car wash, a step with their liquid clay bar (which really is kick ass, not your typical liquid clay bar...) and then following up with the real clay bar. If you own a black car, just forget about any other wax you have used and go try the black box, for about 25 dollars you can not go wrong! The Ice wheel/tire cleaner with the brush is another great product, just spray on, wait 30 seconds, scrub around, and rinse tons of marks you thought were permanent right off of your wheels I just picked up the ICE total interior cleaner and have yet to use it yet, but I will chime in once I do, I suspect it will be just as awesome as the rest of their ICE products.

Another great idea for keeping on top of your car's cleanliness is picking up a couple of The Original California Duster (thanks to Amber for the tip ), one for the outside, and one for the inside of your car (they make a smaller interior version now as well ) This is a great way to cut down on car washes and keep your car looking clean without water.

Also, a couple of different hardness wire brushes come in handy for cleaning rough spots in the engine bay and or on electrical contacts, and sometimes even for stuck in carpet grime.

Also, some detailing brushes for the AC/Heat vents and cracks in the interior. A while back I remember reading something from Amber saying a detailing session for her lasted hours and hours and you couldn't find a speck of dust with a magnifying glass in the car afterwards... you need a lot of little gadgets and cleaning accessories to accomplish this...

Edit: ALSO, Stoner's Invisible Glass really is the ultimate glass cleaner, good work Andy! just read the directions and be ready to take 2 or 3 swings at windows, you may think a once over cleans it, but just try going over the window one or two more times and you will fully understand the name "Invisible Glass"... I flinched when driving after cleaning my windows with this stuff... haha
Bilstien PSS9's / SPC Rear Control Arms / DDM Smoked Corners, Sides, Tails / K&N FIPK2 / CXRacing All Aluminum Radiator w Aluminum Shroud and Electric Fan / Stewart Components Waterpump / Aluminum Tstat Housing / SamcoSport Coolant Hoses / Fan Delete Mod - 14" Electric Pull Fan / UBERGROUND Battery Cable / NGK Ir.IX Plugs / Royal Purple Fluids for; Engine, Differential, Transmission, Power Steering.
. SOLD
MEMBER OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE SECRET CLUB ON THE 'FEST

Last edited by HyphE36; 08-21-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i; 2006 325i
That Folex stuff is the bomb. Ive used in the house for years and its the best carpet cleaner Ive seen. You can get it at Walmart for about $5 or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Can I Scream?

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 318is
Mother's products have never let me down...they directly compete with Meguiar's for just a couple bucks less usually per product. I just got the Mother's Clay Bar Kit last night. I've only tackled the hood and the roof but am already in awe. The feel of the paint is to die for, and turns your car into one giant mirror! Highly recommended!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
The OP mentioned the headlights getting yellow. Mine were really dull so I used this:

I did both lenses in a little over an hour and they came out great. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
This thread makes my head hurt.

-the Deep Crystal system is a good product, but I've found (and Amber can vouch for it ) a better product. The Meguiar's #7 Glaze & #27 Wax are much better than the Deep Crystal.

-Armor All does actually make a tire shine and wheel cleaner, and I happen to use them both. They're good, solid products. Using straight-up Armor-All protectant like you pictured is bad, definitely, but don't forget they make products designed for cleaning & shining that are perfectly fine.

I'll help you out more on the process later, and there are lots of other good products that aren't mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM

HEY!!! check this out, speaking of car cleaning products I made Turtle Wax's Black Box's website

http://www.turtlewaxblackbox.com/stories.aspx

First one, Steven (mah fahking) Prince
Bilstien PSS9's / SPC Rear Control Arms / DDM Smoked Corners, Sides, Tails / K&N FIPK2 / CXRacing All Aluminum Radiator w Aluminum Shroud and Electric Fan / Stewart Components Waterpump / Aluminum Tstat Housing / SamcoSport Coolant Hoses / Fan Delete Mod - 14" Electric Pull Fan / UBERGROUND Battery Cable / NGK Ir.IX Plugs / Royal Purple Fluids for; Engine, Differential, Transmission, Power Steering.
. SOLD
Old 08-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Hmm, I'll have to chime in soon with a step by step process.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Bad Rabbit

Mein Auto: '97 328is
Most of the stuff you have posted I have used before, but from my experience as a detailer on the side, I have found more and more products that are less well known (not OTC) that I won't ever let go.

1. I agree with the car wash soap. There are tons more out there, so I don't think you can really go wrong. A soap IMO is a soap although others will disagree. Any amount of surface agitation will get rid of the dirt and grime. It's the lubrication of the soap that is important to keep you from scratching the paint. I do think it is important though to find a soap that has clinging abilities so that it can "sit" on the paint and have some time to work.

2. Like said, never use a liquid clay bar. It is a scam and has no cleaning abilities. When using a clay bar, I always use a medium grade one over a light grade one. Especially if I am going to do paint correction and buff out the vehicle. Go slow and make sure again to use plenty of luberication ;-)

3. Waxing. I have used OTC stuff in my early days, but their durability is nothing compared to most higher end lines. Meguiars #26 is a favorite of mine. But my all time favorite is Collinite 845. It is definitely one of the best waxes I have ever used. It will turn a dull grey car jet black when no paint correction was wanted by the customer. Durability is great too.

4. Tire cleaner are a hit and miss. I think there is nothing better than good old elbow grease and most of the time just the bucket of car wash soap is all that is needed. Otherwise, when I need something stronger I turn to Eagle one A2Z tire cleaner. Safe on all wheels and removes the toughest of grime.

5. The interior of the car I would say is all personal preference. I like a mixture of Woolite and water as a cleaner for the dash, plastic peices and leather seats. I also like 303 Aerospace protectant and Poorboy's Trim Restorer for shining up things without getting them greasy. Amour all is a no-no with me. On the inside of the car at least it attracts dust and no one liked getting their fingers greasy. The less chemicals the better I always say.

6. As for tire shine, I like the OTC Black Magic Tire Wet Foam. But I let it set for about 10 seconds, then use a foam wheel detailing pad to spread out the foam around the tire. This way it's not too shiny and avoids tire sling. Don't forget to dress your wheel wells too.

It's all about the preperation. A clean, smooth surface will always accept products better than a rough, dirty one. So if you have the ability, I recommend claying and polishing via DA or Rotary once a year or so. Use a soft mitt or Schmitt and a clean soft microfiber drying towel and you won't need to polish any more than that.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Thanks guys I put alot of time into it!

Can we get this thread nominated as a sticky?

-Andy
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
If any of you can get your hands on Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant, DO IT! One of the best waxes out there.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Those leather cleaners aren't worth a hoot.

Order some Leather World Technologies Cleaner and dilute it about half as recommended you wont believe how well it works.

I use a natural conditioner from Montana Pitch Blend, the oil and conditioner, you wouldn't believe how well it works.

There's also some better clay out there, Clay Magic is good, but 3M clay is out of this world good.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328is
too funny. I have never heard of this stuff. Yesterday I looked at this post and then a few hours later my hubby said we should get some of the Meguire's stuff. He doesn'y even go on the computer so he didn't see this post. That was weird..........

Old 08-22-2009, 09:08 AM

lol J&C

If your hubby has spent ANYtime in an autoparts stores' cleaning aisle I'm sure he know of Mothers and Meguiars
. SOLD
Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryandCheri View Post
too funny. I have never heard of this stuff. Yesterday I looked at this post and then a few hours later my hubby said we should get some of the Meguire's stuff. He doesn'y even go on the computer so he didn't see this post. That was weird..........
hahaha take my advice on the cleaners and u'll be a happy camper!

-Andy
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 PM

What works best for the rims? I ordered new roundels so I need to get my rims looking good.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:29 AM

Honestly like i said, I was talking to Chad a while back and he said there arent really any GREAT products to use for rims... You just use the products like Black Magic or the Ice stuff to kinda get rid of the majority of the dirt and grime on the rim. Then the rest of it is mostly elbow grease and and soap and water..

-Andy
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 318i 4Door Auto
You all must be rich if using Meguair's, here in Perth you need to morgage your house to buy it, its so expense. How much is it over there ??
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 318is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imoverit View Post
You all must be rich if using Meguair's, here in Perth you need to morgage your house to buy it, its so expense. How much is it over there ??
Your going to pay about 8-10 $US for each Meguair's product. For example the meguair's 3 step wax is going to cost you about $25+ with taxes. It's not really that bad. I think I spent about $90 buying wax, wheel cleaner, tire shine, vinyl care products, microfiber towels and some decent carpet cleaner.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Andy, I looove your wheels. do they make them in 16's....I might put them on my wish list....I have always loved those wheels. What size are yours..Wanna trade...LMAO

Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
http://www.lexol.com/ This is my personal favourite leather cleaner/conditioner. It does wonders even for my fairly worn seats.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Andy View Post
Honestly like i said, I was talking to Chad a while back and he said there arent really any GREAT products to use for rims... You just use the products like Black Magic or the Ice stuff to kinda get rid of the majority of the dirt and grime on the rim. Then the rest of it is mostly elbow grease and and soap and water..
Someone wasn't paying attention. I definitely use cleaner, but no cleaner does like it advertises where you "Spray on, Wipe off." Just doesn't work that way.

I'm actually using an Armor-All Wheel Cleaner which is the most powerful one I've come across so far. Even still, takes a lot of work. You really need to clean wheels once every week or so or it will be a big PITA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imoverit View Post
Meguiars? Expensive? Damn. Not here man. I can get their Pro series waxes for 11 bucks a bottle, Deep Crystal series for 8 bucks a bottle, 64oz of car wash for 7-11 bucks depending on the product. My cleaning arsenal is almost entirely Meguiar's products except for tires & wheels, and ALL of it plus my supplies like wax pads and microfibers and such couldn't have cost more than $300 altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana