Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: So. California
Blower motor not blowing

This weekend my sister picked up a 1987 325i cabriolet for a good price (free). It's going to be her car, but I'm going to be the one working on it. Newish paint, new leather interior, Recaro seats, new canvas top, generally fair to good condition mechanically.

Besides the control arms and bushings that I'll be replacing next weekend, the blower motor doesn't work. Everything lights up the way it should, and I hear relays clicking under the dash, but no joy from the vents. Fuses test good. Is there a more common failure point on these? Motor burns out? Switch goes bad? Relay goes bad? Any help anyone can provide on a starting point would be appreciated.

I'm a hobbyist, not a professional, and I'm much more familiar with the Mercedes 107 and 129 platform, but I need to learn about the e30 so I can work on this car for her. If anyone can point me to something like the shop manuals for the e30, that would also be great. I know the Haynes manuals for Mercedes stink, but MB makes their internal shop manuals available on CD. Is there anything like that for this car? Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 08-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) links

Here's a place to start and welcome aboard.

http://www.wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

As a teaser, section 6413 of the ETM has the schematic for the blower motor.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to danielw05 Send a message via MSN to danielw05 Send a message via Yahoo to danielw05 Send a message via Skype™ to danielw05
Mein Auto: 1990 325i
Does the blower motor work on any of the four fan speeds? If so, does it sound like you are killing a small bird in there? If it works only on speed 4, then it could just be the resistor. Here is how to change the resistor...

http://e30.bmwdiy.info/blower-resistor/index.html

Before I replaced anything, I would clean the resistor and motor really well with some electrical cleaner. My buddy actually used batter cleaner and his worked great afterwards and still does.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
check the resistor. motor failure isnt uncommon. check to see if the plugs going to the motor are getting power.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667