Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Thumbs down 2008 535i --- problems (hp fuel pump, overheating, overheating, overheating = trash )

problems with my car:

1) 22,500 high pressure fuel pump failure! Pump is replaced.

2) 33,355 overheating! Relay replaced.

3) 33,431 overheating again!!! Electronic fan replaced.

4) 33,474 overheating again!!!!! Water pump replaced.

I just wanted to let you guys know of my troubles with my 2008 535i. I contacted BMW NA about a week ago to see if they would do something for me because I don't want this car anymore. I end up calling the BMW rep that is handling my case and he said BMW WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me since a different part was replaced everytime!

I feel llike this is just the beginning of more problems to come!

Not only am I dissapointed with my 60K car. I am really dissapointed with BMW customer service. I just can't keep towing this car back to the dealer everytime something goes wrong!! If I try to sell this car, nobody is going to want to buy it because of the service record. I am just a bit frustrated with all of this!!

For all of you potential buyers, beware of the 535i. You may have problems with the car down the road, and if you do BMW NA will probably just laugh at your problems while they enjoy your hard earned money.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
It appears the last three repairs were for the same issue of overheating. The different parts that were replaced really should not have anything to due with the issue. It is the number of repair attempts that have occurred, and whether or not your car may be qualified as a lemon in your state is what would motivate a buy back.

In CA, the lemon law allows manufacturers/dealers four repair attempts to correct the same problem. After the fourth failed repair attempt the car qualifies as a lemon as long as the car was repaired for the same problem within the initial warranty period. The CA lemon law also requires that written correspondence be sent to the manufacturer requesting their assistance.

My advice to you would be to do some research into the lemon laws for your state. If and when your car qualifies as a lemon, approach BMW again for a buy back if you truly want to get rid of your 535i. If they will not consider it, you will have your state's lemon law as your final recourse.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 08-24-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Look at it this way, your car had two problems in 33K miles. That is NOT bad.

Don't get mad at the car, the issue is, the mechanics haven't been able to fix the problem.

I'd take the angle of ' why are you unable to fix this problem? " Talk to the top dog at the dealer, they usually can get things done.

BMW needs to take control of the mechanics, I mean they had to pay for a lot of things that didn't fix the problem.

Call bmw na and ask where you can take your car to get if fixed, when they say the dealer, you say, they had it three times and couldn't fix it, they obviously don't know what they are doing....

Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I agree that the overheating problem problem was improperly diagnosed since the 3 associated repair attempts all occurred within a period of 125 miles - hardly enough to substantiate a complete repair. Very unlikely that all 3 replaced parts were failing simultaneously.

Look on the bright side ... You got a few brand new parts that you probably didn't need. If the issue is solved, it was probably the water pump all along.

Last edited by jesimmons; 08-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficionado View Post
Look at it this way, your car had two problems in 33K miles. That is NOT bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesimmons View Post
I agree that the overheating problem problem was improperly diagnosed since the 3 associated repair attempts all occurred within a period of 125 miles
+1 and +1. This has clearly been a frustrating experience, but IMO it was made more so by improper diagnosis of the overheating problem than by the condition of the car. As for the HPFP problem, well...that is what it is, a high profile issue with your engine, and now you have it fixed.

My BMWs have exhibited a pattern of a few nit problems in the first 10,000 miles, and then they settle down quite a bit. I bet yours will too.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
BMW's customer service is extremely poor. I disposed of both of my N54 engined cars due to fuel pump/driveability problems that the dealer would not fix. Both BMWs have been replaced with other brand new German makes.

They are worse than Audi. At least Audi understood what bad press does.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Yahoo to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Skype™ to sfbayrealtor1
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I completely commiserate with you (dvs11).

I had a VERY similar issue...but that was with my 2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG coupe. It was a very fun car to drive, but was in the shop every couple weeks. As bmrboy2008 up above states, in California, after 4 attempts to correct the same problem, it's a lemon. Audi ended up buying the car back from me, less the amount of use I put on the car. I can't complain with how Audi handled the situation...I thought I would have a battle to get them to deal with the lemon issue. kudo's to them.

I'm picking up my 2010 535i from Munich in 2 weeks. I think BMW has resolved allot of those early issues with the N54...but I'll have to wait and find out first hand! I've had no problems with my 2007 530i...knock, knock...

2014 328ix GT - LiquidBlueMet/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Premium/Tech/ - Wife's first ED on 05/14/14, Re-Delivery ????
2012 X5 35D - SaphireBlack/Black Nevada/Anthracite/Premium/NAV - No ED this time (New baby girl! )
2010 535i - CarbonBlack/NatBrn Dakota/Anthracite/M-Sport/NAV - ED on 09/09/09, Re-Delivery on 11/10/09
2007 530i - TiSilver/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Step/Sport/NAV/RTTI - ED on 10/20/06, Re-Delivery 12/14/2006
www.CalPacBrokers.com
Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayrealtor1 View Post
I completely commiserate with you (dvs11).

I had a VERY similar issue...but that was with my 2005 Audi TT 3.2 DSG coupe. It was a very fun car to drive, but was in the shop every couple weeks. As bmrboy2008 up above states, in California, after 4 attempts to correct the same problem, it's a lemon. Audi ended up buying the car back from me, less the amount of use I put on the car. I can't complain with how Audi handled the situation...I thought I would have a battle to get them to deal with the lemon issue. kudo's to them.

I'm picking up my 2010 535i from Munich in 2 weeks. I think BMW has resolved allot of those early issues with the N54...but I'll have to wait and find out first hand! I've had no problems with my 2007 530i...knock, knock...
N54 engine problems have not been resolved, I have read about a couple of 2010 535s already having had the HPFP issue. Its a real shame besides that one issue this car is awesome in every way, I love my car but if this issue isn't resolved I will not be buying another BMW TT car!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 08-26-2009, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i Sport with SMG
Go to a different dealership across town or raise a little hell with the service manager at your current dealership. Like the others said seems like you had two issues only. One being the fuel pump that many 08 535's owners have had issues with. Second one sounds more like a lazy mechanic didn't correctly diagnose your issue.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: accord
wow!! I just googled "2008 535i problems" and this thread showed up first!!

It seems that even the new 2010 535i is already having issues. I sure hope BMW is looking at all these problems and doing something about it. I understand that some cars will have problems but if you are having problems like (dvs 11) then BMW should stand up and take responsibility for their faulty product. The customer is not obviously not happy with their product so then, BMW should refund the customer their money. BMW cannot afford to upset their customer just to save a few pennies. Replacing the car or refunding the money to the customer is just a small investment that BMW should make to help keep a customer for life.
Threads like this one will cost BMW substantially more then replacing the car or refunding dvs11.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot3 View Post
wow!! I just googled "2008 535i problems" and this thread showed up first!!
This thread is extremely new and short... There are many many more like it.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535I
I recently bought a 2008 535i with 3,000 miles on it for $42K with premium, cold weather,Nav, ipod, comfort seats, xenon. I'm not sure its the best price but ended up buying it since i liked it. Can anyone provide any comment on this deal?

However, I had long crank times at startup and fuses were gone bad for the power outlets but no additional issues so far. The dealership has taken care of both issues by replacing HPFP and fuses in my car due to not functioning properly.

Since then it looks fine but looking at this e-mail thread make me scary. I can understand the frustration and feel sorry for DVS11.

I heard that BMW has extended manufacturer warranty from 4 yrs/50000 to 10 yrs/100000 for HPFP failure on 135/335/535 series and mailing a letter to the affected vehicle owners the same. I didnt get one. It seems to me that the issue could be HPFP working in a newer turbo charged engines.

Any thoughts????

Thanks,
Raj
Old 09-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs11 View Post
problems with my car:

I just wanted to let you guys know of my troubles with my 2008 535i. I contacted BMW NA about a week ago to see if they would do something for me because I don't want this car anymore. I end up calling the BMW rep that is handling my case and he said BMW WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me since a different part was replaced everytime!

Not only am I dissapointed with my 60K car. I am really dissapointed with BMW customer service. I just can't keep towing this car back to the dealer everytime something goes wrong!! If I try to sell this car, nobody is going to want to buy it because of the service record. I am just a bit frustrated with all of this!!

For all of you potential buyers, beware of the 535i. You may have problems with the car down the road, and if you do BMW NA will probably just laugh at your problems while they enjoy your hard earned money.
DVS & Skylo:
Hi there. I have a 2008 535i and between Calgary and Phoenix, the car broke down twice. Both times it was thought to be the fuel pump. It was not. It turns out that the 2008 535 had (has) a very unique problem involving the software. I was very fortunate to find service managers in both Las Vegas and Scottsdale that were aware of the problem. In February 2009, the software for the 535 was rewritten and installed in my car. That was the end of its problems which involved loss of power (shutting down to 5 cylinders, poor starts, warning light hell, etc). BMW acknowledged the problem with the 08 535 and replaced the software for free, even though it was a Canadian car in the US. DVS, I would insist that BMW replace the software and I suspect you will have had your last problem. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4est View Post
DVS & Skylo:
Hi there. I have a 2008 535i and between Calgary and Phoenix, the car broke down twice. Both times it was thought to be the fuel pump. It was not. It turns out that the 2008 535 had (has) a very unique problem involving the software. I was very fortunate to find service managers in both Las Vegas and Scottsdale that were aware of the problem. In February 2009, the software for the 535 was rewritten and installed in my car. That was the end of its problems which involved loss of power (shutting down to 5 cylinders, poor starts, warning light hell, etc). BMW acknowledged the problem with the 08 535 and replaced the software for free, even though it was a Canadian car in the US. DVS, I would insist that BMW replace the software and I suspect you will have had your last problem. Good luck.
PS you can contact me at rob@canvasmart.com
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs11 View Post
problems with my car:

If I may, this guy is what is wrong with these boards...this gentleman shows up for exactly one post, throws out an outrageous thread title and demands a new car because his waranteed car has overheated? Despite the fact that BMW appears to be doing everything they can to get it fixed, he throws a tantrum. Maybe I'm an optimist, or maybe just level headed, but I'd be at best annoyed they can't get to the issue, while at the same time glad I'm getting all these free new parts in the process at 33K+ miles.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post
If I may, this guy is what is wrong with these boards...this gentleman shows up for exactly one post, throws out an outrageous thread title and demands a new car because his waranteed car has overheated? Despite the fact that BMW appears to be doing everything they can to get it fixed, he throws a tantrum. Maybe I'm an optimist, or maybe just level headed, but I'd be at best annoyed they can't get to the issue, while at the same time glad I'm getting all these free new parts in the process at 33K+ miles.
I think his attidude towards his car and the dealership is valid. (dvs11) paid a premium for a new car knowing it would be reliable, and would give him years of worry free driving.
Now a new car with 33+ miles shouldn't be having overheating problems, or any of those problems. At 33+ miles this car is having so many problems, think how many problems it will give him down the road. (dvs11), i would demand an equivalent replacement.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
At 33+ miles this car is having so many problems, think how many problems it will give him down the road.
I don't think this extrapolation works, or at least it hasn't in my experience. There's really one problem (setting aside the HPFP issue) he's faced, and they are having a hard time diagnosing it. It's not at all a reliable indication of any trend down the road.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
I think his attidude towards his car and the dealership is valid. (dvs11) paid a premium for a new car knowing it would be reliable, and would give him years of worry free driving.
Now a new car with 33+ miles shouldn't be having overheating problems, or any of those problems. At 33+ miles this car is having so many problems, think how many problems it will give him down the road. (dvs11), i would demand an equivalent replacement.
+1 I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP's thread; title is perfectly accurate for his situation. I would not be a happy camper if this was happening to my car (regardless if it was the dealer or the manufacturers fault). Just my two cents.

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
yea exactly. We buy these cars new to avoid major mechanical problems for at least a few years, and we want to drive them, not keep taking it to the dealer to get repaired, especially overheating problems. I wouldn't take a car like that on a long trip, and have to keep worrying about things going wrong. I think dvs11 has a lemon in his hands !
Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Its not a lemon. This board is fast becoming a place where whiners congregate. Speaking of the state of this board, there is one poster that shouts Lemon! every time someone complains about a squeaky door.

The car has had two problems and the dealer has apparently worked diligently to fix both problems. This particular poster has added zero value to this board other than find a place to vent his only ever post tantrum. And of course, he comes to the right place, to those that applaud and scream Lemon! agreeably with him.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Here for life!!!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkNole View Post
Its not a lemon. This board is fast becoming a place where whiners congregate. Speaking of the state of this board, there is one poster that shouts Lemon! every time someone complains about a squeaky door.

The car has had two problems and the dealer has apparently worked diligently to fix both problems. This particular poster has added zero value to this board other than find a place to vent his only ever post tantrum. And of course, he comes to the right place, to those that applaud and scream Lemon! agreeably with him.
FWIW, I agree. The OP has made no attempt at meaningful discussion, and as it's been about a month since his one and only post on this or any other topic, it seems he's come here only to stir things up. On any other board he would be considered a troll.....just saying.

As an aside, it seems apparent to me his dealer his inept at diagnosing and repairing the overheating problem. Surely it doesn't seem to fit the spirit of a lemon law.

2008 535i Platinum Gray, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar - Sport Automatic Transmission
Premium Package |Sport Package
Heated Seats | Active Steering | Navigation | PDC | Logic 7 | Comfort Access | IPOD & USB | Highbeam Assist | Anthracite Headliner

Old 09-24-2009, 07:15 PM

Also, to characterize a car as "trash" after two issues in 34,000 miles comes off as a little dramatic. It was a troll post. Let's all move on.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
I have been watching the E60 site for the last several months in anticipation of replacing my E39. From what I am reading there is no way I would remotely consider the purchase of anything with the N54 engine. I can certainly understand first year issues....but this problem has extended into the third model year. Good luck 535 owners.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:15 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Financeman View Post
I have been watching the E60 site for the last several months in anticipation of replacing my E39. From what I am reading there is no way I would remotely consider the purchase of anything with the N54 engine. I can certainly understand first year issues....but this problem has extended into the third model year. Good luck 535 owners.
So be a big boy and buy a 550. Or an M3.

Because E39's never had any issues right? Unless you count pixels. Mass Air Flow meters. Exploding water pump impellers. Cylinder head gaskets. Cam sensor replacements. Creaking and rocking seats. Window regulators. Interior door handles snapping off. Did I mention pixels?

Yup, those E39's sure were bulletproof. They just don't build em like they used to, do they?

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 09-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
So be a big boy and buy a 550. Or an M3.

Because E39's never had any issues right? Unless you count pixels. Mass Air Flow meters. Exploding water pump impellers. Cylinder head gaskets. Cam sensor replacements. Creaking and rocking seats. Window regulators. Interior door handles snapping off. Did I mention pixels?

Yup, those E39's sure were bulletproof. They just don't build em like they used to, do they?
Thing is you can DIY a lot more on the E39 than the E60. They've each got their problems. The E39 is a known beast; the E60 is unknown. Responses like this make it seem that you're jealous of E39 owners or have something to prove. I bought an E39 because it's all I can afford, what of it?

Practically all BMWs since the mid '90s have had issues with cooling….

The HPFP failure rate is ridiculous; based on what I've seen here it's far and beyond the most prone-to-failure part of the entire E60 series. Thing is: the engineers knew they were building something out of the ordinary. 200 bar is a lot more than what most fuel pumps deliver (I think it's normally around 1-5 bar?). So, the obvious solution is to *overbuild* the thing; make it so damn bulletproof that the part that's drastically different than anything else that's been previously made outlasts the rest of the car! Unfortunately BMW didn't, and here we are. It is pretty ridiculous. Same thing goes for the pixels in the E39 and the cooling systems (by the way, the cylinder head problems are due to overheated cars being driven while overheated).

If someone gave me the money to buy a new 5er, it'd be an E60. Thing is, nobody wants to donate to my new car fund
'99 540i (grandfather's)