Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 05 Ford Explorer XLT
Prospective 2006 x3 owner's questions

I'm considering getting an 06 x3 and have questions.

If the mileage on the vehicle is still under the warranty limit, can I just take it to any authorized dealer and have them run up an inspection?

After the original warranty expires, is it advisable to get an extended warranty? (even though these are not performed by BMW techs)

If so, which one should I get; transmission or engine? ( which is more prone to breaking?)

What does the "E(and a number inserted here)" designation means? I've seen a lot of posts around here where they mention this referring to, I guess, their particular model of x3.

What does the "SI" refers to as opposed to "I"?

Other than low mileage, are there any significant advantages of an '06 vs. an '05 model?

Thanks for any replies.
Ads by Google
Old 08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The '06 is the last of the original X3 series, 04-06. The '07 series changed to a slightly more powerful engine and a (problamatic in many views) 6 speed auto transmission, for which there is a sticky at the top of the forum. If the car is an '06 and has less than 50k miles on the clock it is still covered by the original warranty. I doubt that a dealer will do a full unscheduled inspection at no cost, but would almost certainly run the VIN for you to see what work has been performed including repairs and service. I have an '06 and it has been an exceptionally reliable car in over 45K miles. In fact, it is the only reason I still have the car because the ride over rough pavement is horrible. However be that as it may, the X3 does ride well on smooth pavement, gets decent fuel economy, and has good performance. It is a useful car with a utilitarian interior that some might even say is spartan. Problems with the '06 seem to be things like sunroofs, door seals, water leaks, electronic and electric gremlins and that sort of thing. The engine and transmission, at least in the '06 seem excellent. if you are going to get one take a LONG test drive over some nasty pavement to gain a full appreciation for the X3. Good luck.

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-26-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcopter View Post
1-If the mileage on the vehicle is still under the warranty limit, can I just take it to any authorized dealer and have them run up an inspection?

2-After the original warranty expires, is it advisable to get an extended warranty? (even though these are not performed by BMW techs)

3-If so, which one should I get; transmission or engine? ( which is more prone to breaking?)

4-What does the "E(and a number inserted here)" designation means? I've seen a lot of posts around here where they mention this referring to, I guess, their particular model of x3.

5-What does the "SI" refers to as opposed to "I"?

6-Other than low mileage, are there any significant advantages of an '06 vs. an '05 model?

Thanks for any replies.
1-Yes, but be prepared to pay.
2-It's a good option.
3-That's hard to answer, both are really good.
4-It's a designation for BMW models. All current X3's are e83's.
5-SI badge started in 2007 I think. I=Injected, dunno about the S.
6-06 models have color coded bumpers instead of black bumpers. Which is not an advantage to me.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 08-26-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Thank you all for you very informative replies. In reference to question #3, X3-terrestrial, you're saying both engine and tranny are really good, as in, they are very reliable (I guess as in regards to this particular year for this model), so, can I surmise then that neither extended warranty is necessary? I know this is stretching it, but, should I just go ahead and go at it alone and hope for the best?

Guess what I'm trying to get at is what would be more expensive to repair, vs., what's more prone to breaking.

What is it exactly (for the most part), that engine extended warranties cover?

Transmissions, seems to me are more straight forward; everything and anything that can go wrong is there, as opposed to engines, which have more components which can't be called exactly "engine", and not be covered as such.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I have a 2006, bought it used about a year ago with 35,xxx miles. It has been a fantastic car so far. I really don't mind the ride at all, although I knew what I was getting into, my mom has a 2005 X3. I did my homework, the 2006 gets very good reviews in terms of quality and reliability. The current X3 is based on the previous generation 3 series, and it contains a lot of the same mechanical and electronic gear... they had a lot of time to get it right! For what it's worth, consumer reports rates the 06 very, very well.

In my opinion, extended warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. If you are really concerned about long term maintenance costs, then don't buy anything other than a BMW certified pre-owned X3. CPO vehicles are covered up to 100,000 miles or 10 years(?) by BMW. Mine is not CPO, but I got a great deal and saved a whole lot over an identically equipped CPO X3.

Great car... you won't regret buying one!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3
You can check the Ext. Warranty offered by Warranty Direct who sells CarMax's MAXCARE. Not all 3rd Party Ext. Warranty companies have good ratings. You should also consider Ext. Maintenance from the dealership if you can get good pricing. The costly maintenance within 100k may be the brake service which materials cost ~$300 for 2 pads and 2 rotors.

-- Johnny
Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
1-Yes, but be prepared to pay.
2-It's a good option.
3-That's hard to answer, both are really good.
4-It's a designation for BMW models. All current X3's are e83's.
5-SI badge started in 2007 I think. I=Injected, dunno about the S.
6-06 models have color coded bumpers instead of black bumpers. Which is not an advantage to me.
"S" = the then new 3-liter engine with a bit more HP. The earlier years continued to use the older engine even though the 3-series had switched over.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Another thing I wanted to run by here, what, in your opinion, ought to be the "critical" mileage on an 05 X3?
By critical I mean, after the 50K miles warranty is over, what is the next "plateau" to be aware of maintenance/trouble wise?