Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 5-series
E60 owner with ??'s about X3 for the wife HELP!

First time post!

I recently purchased a 2006 (new to me) 530xi and I love it! I am thinking of buying an 06 and up X3 for the wife (and for me too!) but have some questions I would like to ask the members.

How is it in the snow?
Does the X3 have any problems that I should worry about?
How is the ride?
What about the storage? (We plan on having kids soon)
How much are extended warranty if the car is under 50,000 when purchased?
Are all X3's all wheel drive?
Do they all come with the PAN sunroof?

Answers to these questions and any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I will be posting pics of my 530xi shortly!
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The biggest problem for me (and my wife!)is the horrible ride of the X3 over any kind of rough pavement, porholes, raised expansion joints etc. If you can handle the bone jarring ride it is quite a capable machine. It holds as much as the old X5, is full time all wheel drive, has an almost bulletproof engine, and a fine 5 speed automatic transmission. The 07 X3 is of course a different matter and is addressed by the sticky at the top of the page. I believe that all the 3.0 X3's have the sunroof standard. There have been problems with all the panoramic sunroofs and window regulators throughout the line. The best thing you can do is take a LONG test drive with your wife, or better yet have her drive, and include a good stretch of nasty pavement in the route so you both will gain a full appreciation of the X3. Good luck!

Last edited by UncleJ; 08-27-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Spineguy

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
E60 and E83

As an owner of an e60 and an e83, here are some answers to your questions.
First of all, you may want to search the forum a bit for answers to your specific questions, but I will give you my 2 cents.

With proper tires, the x3 should do fine in snow. There are forum members in Colorado and other snowy climates who claim to have no problems driving in different conditions.

The X3 has had some problems across the spectrum, but many of the problems are specific to certain model years. I have a 2006 automatic, which has had next to no problems, after 75,000 miles, but some 2006 owners have had issues with the sunroof leaking and other minor problems. The 2007 has had transmission problems in the automatic cars, so most will say look for a manual if you are getting a 2007. Overall, you have come to the right place to research the X3. You will get a lot of information here, and most of the people are very helpful with answering your questions.

The ride is subjective. Sport package cars will ride a little stiffer, which some like. Some people think the non-sport x3 ride is stiff, so take whatever x3 you look at on a long, comprehensive test drive and choose for yourself.

We have an 8 year old and a 16 year old, and find the x3 has plenty of room. If you don't have kids yet, and are not planning on having quadruplets, you should have a fair amount of room for strollers, etc. in the back.

All x3's are considered all wheel drive, and I believe all come with the panoramic sunroof.

As far as the warranty issues, do some research. I am not very familiar with warranty pricing, but I know the farther you are from the expiration of the original warranty, the cheaper the extension will be.

Good luck on your search. My wife has a 545 and I have the X3, and they are both great cars.

Chris

Last edited by surgtech72@yaho; 08-27-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Coming from '06 Accord EX, we think the 18" wheels w/o Sport Package is our maximum. The 17" wheels w/o Sport Package feels comfortable. '07 has the known automatic transmission issue described in forum sticky. Mine was resolved by update the ECU programming ( free under warranty ).

-- Johnny
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 5-series
Thanks guys! Keep those responses coming!

What about the gas mileage?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
I've had no problems whatsoever with my 2009 in the 10 months and 26,000 miles I've owned it. No noise, water leaks, and I do not find the ride objectionable (mine is a non sport model). I'm getting about 21 to 22mpg of which very little is freeway driving.

If something were to happen to it I would buy another exactly like it without hesitation.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk5 View Post
First time post!

How is it in the snow?
How is the ride?
Are all X3's all wheel drive?
Do they all come with the PAN sunroof?
Welcome!
It is excellent in snow, never driven a better car in snow. Tires do matter.
2007 and later have issues with auto tranny, read the sticky. 2004-2006 are okay.
Ride is on the harsher side. Depends upon individual preference though, I find it fine. I suggest take a thorough test drive on all sort of roads.
Storage is great. Check out some pics on official picture thread to see how much you can load it.
Yes. X-Drive is standard with all X3s.
Yes. With 2010 onwards panorama sun roof becomes an option though.

Gas mileage is one of the best in class.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
Thumbs up

I'm a brand new X3 owner so take my comments for what they are worth...

I am head over heels in love with my 2004 3.0 X3. I have an extended warranty until this time next summer. Not sure if I will renew or not.

I was told the X3 had a rough ride, but I'm coming from a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and this is
heaven to me! She's only got 44,000 miles on her and she's been meticulously maintained. I'm getting 25 mpg so far.
I drove her from Oregon to Keystone, CO and have also had to head down to Denver and back... wow, SO much fun to drive! I'm going to buy a set of snow tires, not sure about studs yet or not. I'm a real estate broker and haul 10 open house signs, a printer, gym bag and still have plenty of room for passengers. I could gush about this car forever, but I'll stop now.

Oh, can I just add that all the options are so much fun, I can't believe it? Who knew wipers came on by themselves when it rains, headlights come on when it's dark and lead you around every curve, and the steptronic transmission!!!

Okay, I'll quit
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
How is it in the snow?
We are retired, are big time travelers, and needed something that will handle all kinds of weather year round. This article helped us decide.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/news/0...lly/index.html
Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I too came from Jeep Cherokee's, have survived two broken backs.

The ride is much better than my Jeeps.

I feel safe and confident in any weather with this vehicle.

Tires seem to play an important part in handling weather and ride. I have the Pirelli Scorpions.

I had an 07 X3 AT, and now have an 08 X3 MT (with no major problems of any sort).

If this vehicle continues in its behavior I will defintely look to BMW in the future.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I........have survived two broken backs.
Just one for me 22 years ago. (pic)

I have no problems with the ride either. The 2007 Tacoma that our X3 replaced was brutal as it rode rough and pitched left and right going over uneven bumps and the seat had very poor lower back support. I was limited to a couple of hours at most in it. I've done some 700 mile days without a problem in our X3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116_600.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	198893  
Old 08-28-2009, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGal View Post
I'm a brand new X3 owner so take my comments for what they are worth...
Congratulations MountainGal! Didn't know you bought already. Please post some pics of your new ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
Just one for me 22 years ago. (pic)

I have no problems with the ride either. The 2007 Tacoma that our X3 replaced was brutal as it rode rough and pitched left and right going over uneven bumps and the seat had very poor lower back support. I was limited to a couple of hours at most in it. I've done some 700 mile days without a problem in our X3.
That looks scary. I hope those things inside didn't make you change your lifestyle.

X3's ride is a bit on the harsher side for sure but its not "that" harsh as people say. Again, its perception. I was in a MB R-class y'day and I just did not feel the small bumps on the road that I feel on my X3. I have driven the X on those roads several times and know it. R class has softer suspension but X handles a thousand times better. Just my 0.02.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
I hope those things inside didn't make you change your lifestyle.
Not so much at first but as I've gotten older they have. I've adapted and learned to live with my limitations. I love to travel and the X3 allows me to do that as much as I like.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
I live in Milwaukee too, and the X3 is great in the snow. We had snow tires on for half of a season, and sold them the next spring as they were no better than the Pirelli Scorpions that come on our Sport Pkg with 18 inch rims. Ride is subjective, and some think it is harsh. It can get a little jouncy, but the handling makes up for it IMO. If you enjoy a superb handling SAV, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enamoured View Post
Congratulations MountainGal! Didn't know you bought already. Please post some pics of your new ride.
Okay, there is a less than ideal shot of Blizzard on the day I bought her.
Graycie, the Jeep Cherokee is beside her... and now resides in Oregon.

I can NOT tell you how much I love my X3. <3
And yes, I'm one of those dorks who names her cars. :-)
My life is simple... what can I say. My thrills come easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	198947  
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I too came from Jeep Cherokee's, have survived two broken backs.

The ride is much better than my Jeeps.

I feel safe and confident in any weather with this vehicle.

Tires seem to play an important part in handling weather and ride. I have the Pirelli Scorpions.

I had an 07 X3 AT, and now have an 08 X3 MT (with no major problems of any sort).

If this vehicle continues in its behavior I will defintely look to BMW in the future.
You broke your back twice?? Oh gosh, I'm sorry!
I loved my Jeep... but I needed something nicer and the X3 is certainly it.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 AM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGal View Post
Okay, there is a less than ideal shot of Blizzard on the day I bought her.
Graycie, the Jeep Cherokee is beside her... and now resides in Oregon.

I can NOT tell you how much I love my X3. <3
And yes, I'm one of those dorks who names her cars. :-)
My life is simple... what can I say. My thrills come easy.
Nothing wrong with that
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
To the OP,

I have an '08 535Xi and my wife has an '06 X3. They complement each other nicely.

We have not had any issues with our X3 that I would call major, but it has needed a couple of repairs in addition to routine maintenance. Haven't looked lately, but I would guess the X3 has about 35,000 miles.

It has 18" tires but not the sport package. I would characterize the ride as firm, but not overly so. The 535Xi definitely has a smoother ride. FWIW, the ride in our X3 is firmer, but less harsh, than my former '06 330Xi when they both had Turanza EL-42 tires (RFTs on the 330Xi).

We replaced the OEM Turanza EL-42s with Goodyear Eage F1 A/S. The Goodyears noticeably improved both the ride and the handling, although they have developed a lot of road noise.

Don't normally check the gas mileage on the X3. On the few occasions when I did check, using the on-board computer after a reset of mpg, we were getting anywhere from 20 - 24 mpg after a stretch of highway driving.

The power train is very nice in the X3. But, now that we've each had hands-on experience with the TT I-6 in our 5 series (and the extra gear in the AT), we would be very interested in the new X3 if it offers that power train.

Bruce
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I am thinking of buying an 06 and up X3 for the wife (and for me too!) but have some questions I would like to ask the members.
We bought the 2007 X3 (facelift) for my wife earlier this year. We are in the UK so for us it was a 2.0 diesel manual model. We both prefer manuals anyway and given fuel prices over here diesel - and smaller engines are a must with our mileage. The 2.0 diesel model is avaraging 44 mpg for us without having to drive like a nun!

Quote:
How is it in the snow?
Brilliant! A few weeks after we bought the X3 we got heavy snow. We live in the Pennines which is a mecca for walkers, fell runners and mountainbikers so its great terrain to play around. I took the X3 out for some long plays and in comparison to the Landrover Freelander we had before the X3 - the X3 was far superior. UK X3s come equiped with Pirelli Scorpion STR tyres that are designed as a 'mud and snow tyre'. They dont have an agressive tread, but just enough to be dual purpose on roads.

Quote:
Some niggles (UK) but nothing significant. Avoid Pana roofs as when they go they are an expensive fix. The rear washer pipe can come loose and thats awkward - but you can bypass it. Not much else tbh. In Europe the X3 has a very good reliability record and the issues you have with the auto box isn't reported the same. Don't know if thats just down to the fact more manuals are sold here or that its not as big a problem.

Quote:
How is the ride?
On the facelift model (very late 2006 on) its excellent. We took a test drive to assure ourselves that it would be fine as so many people slaughter the X3 for its ride. We were very pleasantly surprised. It was better than the Freelander and tbh better than my fathers Merc 220. BMW did adress the harsh ride with the facelift - even reprogramming suspension on the sports models to SE spec.
The ride feels very car like and encourages you to push on. I enjoy driving it when I get the chance. My wife drives it locally and also commutes to Heathrow airport upto six times every other month which is a 400 mile round trip. We've had the X3 over six months and she still looks forward to the long drives as its so comfortable. (Thats a mix of windy a-roads and motorway with surfaces ranging from very poor to ok - which is the norm in the UK!)
So, based on SE model with conventional tyres (not runflats) the ride is spot on.

Quote:
We have two kids (6 and 8 yrs). Loads of room in the cabin for them and their toys on journeys. We've had the kids and one adult seated in the back with plenty of space. Also plenty of boot space and its big enough to get a full size pram and other gear in.

Quote:
Sorry don't know. Will find out next year but expect (in UK) somewhere around 600 to 800 with mileage at around 40,000. In the UK warranty prices rise at 60,000 miles.

Quote:
Answers to these questions and any other helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!
Looking at original models and facelift side by side in dealers we preferred the facelift for a few reasons. It has a revised interior which was a big improvement on the older models (especially if you find one with leather and dark wood trim as we did). The exterior is also much better (imho). The big plastic bumper is gone and the rear LED lights look very trick. It also has the newer sound system which has an aux in for ipods - so you can just plug one in, choose AUX on stereo and play ipod.
Once we'd decided on facelift it was just a case of hunting for the right spec. As said, we were after 2.0 diesel manual SE model but also wanted a few bits as Euro models are not as well specced as USA. We found one with BMW bluetooth (which is great), rear privacy glass, leather, aircon, upgraded trim and a few other bits. Its proved a great car and we are over the moon with it.

Quote:
P.S. I will be posting pics of my 530xi shortly!
Nice one !