Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: e90 320d se touring
Question dash squeak/rattle e90 touring

hello everyone,

I have an annoying squeak that has developed in the centre of the dash of my e90 touring in/around the centre air vents. i have removed the cover and prodded different sections of the dash with the help of the passenger without avail. the squeak appears generally in low gears and always when accelerating.anyone got any previous experience please let me know.
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Same problem

We have the probelm. Been to the dealer 3x to no avail. But we found out the car has been in prior accident so do not know if related.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: e90 320d se touring
update on dash rattle. the rattle has been fixed-turned out to be a lose stabiliser bar behind dash/bulkhead.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to VDPHB
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
Interesting. My car developed a dash squeak/creak on the right side towards the windshield and it only occurs during low speeds upon acceleration or turning. Did your dealer fix the stabilizer bar behind the dash/bulkhead or did you?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328 xdrive
Disclosure -- I posted a version of this in its own thread a while back, but felt it was relevant to this discussion as well. I humbly apologize if this is bad etiquette.

I have a 2009 328 xdrive sedan. I think I have just about 9K miles on it now (I just don't watch that stuff usually). I love this car. But . . .

Over a month ago I noticed an intermittent noise that can only be described as a sound like creaking glass or plastic that is coming from somewhere near the dashboard. Similar to the original post in this thread, I thought it was from the center vent area. Investigating that on my own, I found nothing.

The sound not a "rat-a-tat" rattle or even a tapping noise, like I would expect. I suppose it's best described as a "creak" or "click". I even thought it might be the windshield seal since it sounds like it "moves" across the windshield and occurs most often in warmer weather. What was a once-in-a-while creak has turned into a more common noise, though.

I have heard it with or without someone in the passenger seat, so I've ruled out seat noise. It's worse on acceleration from a stop, certainly worse when the car goes over a bumpy road and usually is heard on twisting turns. It's gotten so common and so loud that it can be heard over the radio turned way up. The only variable that I noticed has a direct effect is temperature. Above 65 degrees and it's almost a certainty.

I took the car to the dealer two weeks ago. I recorded the noise with my cell phone and the technician at the dealership was convinced. So I've proven that the noise occurs and that it exists. They kept the car 3 days and drove it 85 miles and could not replicate it. (Of course is was cool outside.)

My dealership here in NY treats me like gold and I can't fault their efforts. I just hope that if the weather gets warmer this doesn't return.

I'm wondering if I should ask the dealer to take a look at that stabilizer bar.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: bmn 3 series e90
need help i have the same problem

Hello tell me please have u found out the problem with that noise,i have it too an is driven me crazzzzyyy,every time i accelerate i got thi annoyng squeak around the centre air vents.
Please tell me what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldson657@bt View Post
hello everyone,

I have an annoying squeak that has developed in the centre of the dash of my e90 touring in/around the centre air vents. i have removed the cover and prodded different sections of the dash with the help of the passenger without avail. the squeak appears generally in low gears and always when accelerating.anyone got any previous experience please let me know.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
I too have the same problem.........however, it seems to come and go when the temperature is 65-85 degrees. Today it was horrible, sounds like an old sqeaky bed when driving slow and over bumps. Like a sqeaky spring (brought back memories of the old college days and Daisy Duke). Will check my stabilizer bars.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: E90
how did you fix it? it's driving me crazy ... can't seem to figure out the source of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDPHB View Post
Interesting. My car developed a dash squeak/creak on the right side towards the windshield and it only occurs during low speeds upon acceleration or turning. Did your dealer fix the stabilizer bar behind the dash/bulkhead or did you?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Squeak

It stopped for a while, probably due to the summer heat 90 plus. Only at slow speeds during the 65-85 degrees range. The dealer wanted $2,500 to pull the dash out to see, I just don't trust them with body work. I love the car, hate the squeak. I will let you know for sure when it comes back and I fix it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: E91
I could swear I had a rattle inside the dashboard around the A/C controls but it turned out to be my rear view mirror, more specifically the plastic cover around the rain sensor. A good TAP on and all is quiet again
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Can someone please advise me on where the stabilizer bar behind the dash is? I cannot seem to locate it and this squeak is driving me insane. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHD2780 View Post
Can someone please advise me on where the stabilizer bar behind the dash is? I cannot seem to locate it and this squeak is driving me insane. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Look in your engine bay, near the firewall, you should see two strut braces connecting the strut towers to the firewall. I believe these are the items spoken about in this thread for re-torquing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 10.08.07 AM.png
Views:	60
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	430325  

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM

thanks so much for the quick response. I will try it out.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
It's apparently a common problem for some E9x...where the center bolt holding the 2 strut bars in place, strips out.

Anyway, sway bar bushings also make a creaking sound and mine are currently squeaking since I removed them to inspect. I'll have to apply a lithium grease at some point. Too lazy haha...

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Look in your engine bay, near the firewall, you should see two strut braces connecting the strut towers to the firewall. I believe these are the items spoken about in this thread for re-torquing.
Really? I thought it was a metal brace in the dashboard that comes loose with time...

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Really? I thought it was a metal brace in the dashboard that comes loose with time...
I've never encountered anything like this inside the dash, but if you get photos, I'd be interested; it seems that would be a PITA to get to and remedy. I know the bolts in the A-pillar come loose, but some loctite blue cures that.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 PM

How do I get to the bolt points of the stabilizer? It seems you have to be houdini to get to it...
Old 03-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
How do I get to the bolt points of the stabilizer? It seems you have to be houdini to get to it...
You have to remove a good bit of the plastic to reach the firewall side.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM

yikes....
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 AM

Here's the thing.... it only squeaks when i am turning the steering wheel left, while moving. And the sqeaking goes away when the fan/climate control system is turned off. Any ideas????
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
You just remove the small cap on the cowl cover. Then you have access to the center bolt on the firewall.

You don't have to remove any trim covers or cowls.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Here's the thing.... it only squeaks when i am turning the steering wheel left, while moving. And the sqeaking goes away when the fan/climate control system is turned off. Any ideas????
Then it's probably your AC blower motor.

My squeal from the AC blower motor gets louder as I brake...odd phenomenon going on here.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM

do you have a pic of where that is loacted? Under the cabin air filter??
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 PM

It's under the cowl cover. If you pull the micro filter off, you will see the blower motor on the pass side

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Yep, mine does the same thing. Fortunately, it stops after the cars been running for a couple of minutes. But if I turn the car off, I go through the same thing all over again.