Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 745 li
replacement battery for 03 745li

forgive me if this question has already been answered, I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 745li that has been garaged for over 6mths with out being started. I attempted to start it today but of course the battery is completely DEAD. I called up the dealers closest to me but there is a wait to order a new battery. I need to use the car immediately, is there another battery that I can buy immediately that will work on my car? I was told that I could buy a battery from Sears but I have no idea what to get. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Why not just charge the battery up? get a jump to get going, buy a charger with "trickle charge" function for $30. Let it sit overnight and you will be good to go.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 745LI
Smile

I have a 04 745LI and the replacement battery is made by Interstate model mtph8a. I did not go this route but instead had the dealer install and register. The Interstate battery is $303 however the OEM was $251. The service and taxes totaled $425. I looked for a good DIY for 4 days but unless you find a shop/mechanic that can register the battery which requires a GT1 tool go the dealer route. There are many forums on this topic I would suggest you search for more information.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
the cleanest1

Mein Auto: E66
would they replace a battery under factory warranty? If i leave my car doors open for like 20 minutes i get a low battery message
Old 10-27-2009, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745I
Beware-I think I read somewhere that while recharging a battery if the charger goes above 14.8 volts there can be some sort of problem. Don't remember the specifics but I would definitely research this before I jump in.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I've had to sit mine on the charger pretty frequently lately...nothing special about the charger and had no problems. Do a trickle charge though, no quickstart crap...if you need to start it, jump it. I'll likely be purchasing a battery in the next day as well. Will report back.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I replaced my battery with a Carquest OEM AGM fit replacement about a year ago when I changed my alternator (http://www.carquest.com/common/downl...iesCQ_Euro.pdf). They had the non-AGM version available in the store, but I had to wait a few hours for them to get the AGM one from the warehouse. I think it was about $175-$200 for the battery (can't remember now). This seems to be a good alternative.

Of course, I also registered the battery using DIS. No errors appear even when I sit in the car with engine off for 15 min or so. Previously I always got an error telling me to recharge the battery even after 2-3 min...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Master Tinkerer

TJ, how long does it take to register the new battery once you have it in? (using DIS) There is no way to register using INPA, right?

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: E65 745
i'm going to get my diag mate to register mine sometime ! its been on the car over a year but still comes up with the warning and its irritating as hell !
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Master Tinkerer

From WDS:

"Battery replacement

This function informs the power module of a battery change. The following operations are performed:
  • The battery capacity is reset depending on the seasonal temperature.
  • The current kilometer reading is stored.
  • The stored battery statistical values (current, voltage, battery charge state) are deleted.
  • The stored temperature statistical values are deleted.
The seasonal temperature is an average battery temperature value spread of the last few days

Values for the charge level following the diagnosis command "Register battery replacement" dependent on the seasonal temperature.

Seasonal temperature / Capacity value

< 25 C / 98 %
-10 C / 68 %
0 C / 66 %
10 C / 63 %
20 C / 61 %
>30 C / 58 %

This value is retained until the vehicle has been deactivated for at least 6 hours. Thereafter, an open-circuit voltage measurement determines the capacity. The value determined in this way is entered in the power module."

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Last edited by Keif; 10-28-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: E65 745
does this mean if you leave the battery off over night it will self register then ??
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
TJ, how long does it take to register the new battery once you have it in? (using DIS) There is no way to register using INPA, right?

INPA has the registration option too which is what I used initially before I had DIS working. Once I got DIS working, I re-registered it again to be safe. As I recall the difference with INPA is that you cannot modify the amp hour rating/battery whereas DIS has the ability to select those different options. But if it is the same battery / size, etc. I suppose that's all you would care about... The computer records each battery registration and the mileage at which that registration was made (you can see the history in DIS).
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Master Tinkerer

Awesome, thanks! ...I hadn't had time to plug it up and mess with INPA yet to check out the battery or power module options. In INPA it's just under the power module, correct? Is it called anything funny, or just something along the lines of battery registration? Thanks for your help, I was a little stressed about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bembo19 View Post
does this mean if you leave the battery off over night it will self register then ??
It looks like it just determines the capacity differently in that case, but that may not cover things like the battery charge state. I may experiment with mine.

...famous last words: "Hold mah beer...hey y'all, watch this!!"

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Awesome, thanks! ...I hadn't had time to plug it up and mess with INPA yet to check out the battery or power module options. In INPA it's just under the power module, correct? Is it called anything funny, or just something along the lines of battery registration? Thanks for your help, I was a little stressed about this.

It looks like it just determines the capacity differently in that case, but that may not cover things like the battery charge state. I may experiment with mine.

...famous last words: "Hold mah beer...hey y'all, watch this!!"

I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure it is clearly labeled as "register battery" or some wording to that end.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
stlbmw

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
Please excuse my ignornace on this. Why does the battery need to be registered ? I'm reading about the AGM, DIS and
things of the sort.

Although, not being mechanically stupid, I'd like to know how this procedure/registration is accomplished by a
typical guy like me.

I'd assume the battery removal is the usual approach for that matter, but can I do the registration ?

Please help clarify.
Thanks !

stlbmw

2002 745Li

1999 528i
Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Master Tinkerer

Search for some of the other threads on this board about battery replacement -- they go further in depth on the reasons for registration / repercussions for not registering.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i got my battery at AAA
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to allaboutdaz Send a message via Yahoo to allaboutdaz
Mein Auto: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92-lighting View Post
i got my battery at aaa
aaa?
SuperDuty F350
Suzuki GSXR 1000