Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Sunblock & Leather Seats -- Any suggestions on how to clean..

My friend's wife left behind some stains on the black leather seats of the X3 from her Sun Block.

Any suggestions on cleaning and protecting the seats from this happening again (other than never allowing her to sit in the car again)?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
I use plain cool water for general cleaning and Lexol conditioner twice a year to keep the leather soft.

For stains I would try plain water first. If that didn't work I would try Lexol cleaner followed by conditioner.

http://www.lexol.com/auto.html
Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Spineguy

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
Leatherique

Take a look at Leatherique as well. Apply the conditioner, which drives dirt and other contaminants out of the leather, then use the cleaner to clean the surface of the leather. I used this on my wife's beige leather in her 545i and it worked great.

Good luck,

Chris
Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks. I'm debating between the Griots and the Leatherique. I think I'm just going to order the Leatherique kit. I appreciate all the help and insight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Unfortunately for my friends, the wife has banned them from the car to avoid this problem in the future. They treat their car like crap, why would we expect them to treat ours any differently.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzee13 View Post
They treat their car like crap, why would we expect them to treat ours any differently.
I know the feeling.

My big pet peeve is people putting their feet all over the doors, and sills getting in and out of the car. All I ask is that they go from the ground to the floor mat and not touch anything in between.

Unfortunately many people can't seem to master this.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 PM

I ordered the Leatherique kit.

I have to agree with you about the door sills.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzee13 View Post
Unfortunately for my friends, the wife has banned them from the car to avoid this problem in the future. They treat their car like crap, why would we expect them to treat ours any differently.
Good for you guys. Had a friend spill some bug repellent in the back seat, wipe it up, and place a blue towel on it and sat on it for the 1 hour drive INSTEAD of telling me. I had a bottle of water that could have easily cleaned that up. But now I have a nice blue stain from the blue towel leaching onto the seat.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
5th BMW

Mein Auto: 2008 E83 / 2004 E46
I would try a dish detergent (Dawn for an example) mixed with water first after all it is a mild grease cutter and the cheaper way to go. I think you'll be surprised.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
there are several detailing gurus who regularly answer questions of this sort on the detailing message board. you should give it a try...you will receive product recommendations as well as steps to follow to solve your problem. cleaning leather seats is a frequent topic of discussion so a search on that forum would be a good first step. good luck!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, stories, and tips.

I found the detailer forum after I posted.

My wife confirmed the ban for life status. She has black leather seats. With tan leather seats, I'm never letting them into my car...

Just received the leatherique products. I'll let you know if it is any good.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
I am a sunscreen fanatic - I wear it religiously. Unfortunately, several ingredients in sunscreen stain my expensive leather purses and my (even more expensive) leather seats. This very afternoon I'm having a guy come out to re-dye my BMW's front two seats, as the stains are beyond the point of removal. (My car is 6 years old, mind you.)

Your stains seem relatively new - you should be able to get them out using a variety of commercial products or self-made concoctions like woolite/water. (For really bad stains, try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser only on the stain itself and condition immediately after.)

As far as prevention goes, assuming another sunscreen wearer somehow finds their way into your car at some point, basic routine leather upkeep (gentle cleaning and conditioning) is really your best option (assuming you don't want to go the route of car seat covers.) My leather guy said that commercial products like "sealants" or stain repellants are ineffective. HTH.