Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Unhappy 2005 X5 Whistles at high Speed

All, can you help me figure out why when I drive over 75 mph I get a very high pitched wistle like a tea kettle. It used ot only happen when the wind was blowing right, but now it happens all the time. The dealer won't drive it over 70 to hear it hence I am trying to diognose before I waste my time with them again. I also notice when I am behind larger vehicles the noise goes away, but behind a smaller car it is still there.

Any help would be great!
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette Z06
Sounds like leaky windshield. I have had vehicles in the past that had the same problem. The reason it goes away when following large vehicles is because your drafting them. When you move out into the clean air it returns.

You can try a glass shop and have them inspect it and look for any areas where the windshield may be separating or ask the dealer if it is a know issue.

Yes this is my first post here.

YMMV
Old 09-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i sport
I recall having this issue with my 2003 540i. I fixed it by putting in the two "jack pads", which where removed by the previous owner. See here for the part: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=51718268885

Hope this fixes it.

-DJD
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i sport
Correction: I put all 4 jack pads on, not just two noted in my previous reply, and it eliminated my whistle issue.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 05 X5 4.4/05 330CIC
I have the same problem on my 2005 X5. At speeds above mph,a whistling noise starts inside front part of the ceiling. It sounds more like a tea kettle coming to boil! The strange thing is that if I slightly push or pull on front part the ceiling, the noise gets louder or stops! Could it still be a door/windscreen seal or wipers??
PS: I checked, all my jack pads are intact!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 05 X5 4.4/05 330CIC
Easy fix!!

Got a tube of wind shield sealant (clear in color and runny Almost like Crazy Glue). Put a bead along the edge of the black rubber seal on top of the wind shield, problem solved. The tea kettle stopped boiling!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
I had a similar problem after I purchased new tires and had them sipped. The sound adjusted to RPM so I thought it might have been a wheel bearing noise. So without and further to do, $300 dollars later, and 3 days at the shop for diagnoses... taking the door panel off, removing and taping the drivers side mirror, they finally swapped the four tires and the sound went away.

I've never had problems with tires! So brought it back to American tire since they wereunder full warranty and they up'd me to the original Michelins.

Even though mine is rare, check the windshield and molding. If needed, purchase the "Blue" painters 3M tape and tape off your front windshield etc. and see if the problem goes away.

Regards,

Mud~