Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
318i ES E90 sluggish/lack of power?

Hello

Wondering if anyone can give me an advice or pointers on this.

I have owned my BMW 318i ES from new since March '09. I previously had a mark 1 Focus for 3 years and a mark 2 focus for 3 years after that (both 1.6 zetec's). I thought I was taking a step up when I got this BMW, which it is in terms of the overall driving experience of the car, but the acceleration problems with the car are really starting to irritate me.

The car has done just over 9,000 miles so I assume it is now well and trully 'bedded in'.

I was having a real issue with the car juddering/stuttering particularly when trying to accelerate in 2nd gear around the 1500-2000 rpm mark (sometimes a real hair-raising experience when trying to get through a gap in traffic at a roundabout!). I reported the fault to the dealer and after a bit of a wait for the new software to become available, it went in around mid August to have a software update which was designed to sort this problem out. While it has eradicated the judder effect I am still having issues with the acceleration capability of this car.

I honestly feel that my old 1.6 focus provided better acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears than this 2 litre BMW "ultimate driving machine" does. It's hard for me to describe because I'm not very technically gifted when it comes to cars, but when I am accelerating in 2nd and 3rd, I just feel that the car has absolutely no power - no "oomph", like it is very flat. It can be very frustrating especially as I feel I am almost willing this thing to move whilst watching the fuel economy gauge lurch to the right! There are times when I have literally put my foot right to the floor and there is just...nothing. I was putting normal 95 ron unleaded in it but have recently switched to the 99 ron super-unleaded to see if that makes a difference, but so far I can't feel any difference. Regards fuel economy - the computer is currently telling me I am getting 37.2 MPG. It was around 38 prior to the recent software upgrade.

I have phoned to get another appointment with the dealer to get it looked at again, but whenever I go there, I always get the feeling of being fobbed off unless you are going in with a very specific fault.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be wrong, or is this something that is common with these cars? When I am next at the dealer I am thinking of asking to test drive an equivalent model to see if it is just my car or all of these 318i's are the same. Are there specific things I should ask the dealer to check? I have a feeling I will need to be as specific/insistant as possible with them.

Any help would be appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Did you not test drive the vehicle prior to purchasing it? I've driven a 118i with the same engine, about 143bhp. While that was adequate in terms of acceleration, the 318i is about 100kg heavier, and plus being a 4 cylinder petrol, it is a bit modest in terms of torque output. The official 0-100km/h time is 9,1 seconds, so this isn't supposed to be blisteringly fast but at the same time, it shouldn't be "nothing" when you accelerate.

It's hard to diagnose whether it's really a problem or merely the limitations of power output associated with the weakest motor paired to the 3er. BMWs are great because of the whole package: handling, ride, smooth power output, steering feel, brakes etc.... not just because they can do blistering acceleration.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
I have a 318i July 2008. I have exactly the same problem you have described. I took it to one dealer as soon as I got it and he did a software upgrade, this did not help. I took it back and he denied there was a problem. I then took it to another dealer who said "they are all like that". I decided it was always going to be poor and that I would have to live with it. However I took it for its 30k service and the guy there said "your car is misfiring, we think we have sorted it, if not bring it back". Since this point it has been worse and the engine warning light has come on. My helpful dealer have offered me an appointment in 3 weeks time!

Did you manage to get yours sorted?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
I took my car for it's scheduled software update to the BMW dealer on Tuesday. I got a call at lunchtime to say that they had discovered an intermittant fault when they went to do the software upgrade which indicated a faulty crankshaft sensor. I'm not technically minded about cars so googled this and found the symptoms of a faulty crankshaft sensor to be exactly my experience of driving the car. Basically it was as rough as hell and drove like a pig. They had to order the part overnight so had to wait until yesterday at 5pm to get the car back.

Initial impressions though are that for the first time the car is accelerating very cleanly in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and actually feels like it's got a bit of power or 'oomph' for a change. Fuel economy is marginally improved - up from 38 to 40mpg.

All in all, I am very happy now although frustrated that it took from March until October to get the problem sorted. I think it was the faulty crankshaft sensor all along and it was missed somehow until my last visit to the dealer.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Good to gear you got the problem resolved. With DME electronics the way they are, sometimes faults only show up intermittently and without codes, the techs can't pinpoint what is wrong.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 318ti SE
Exclamation sluggish acceleration

Hi I've had a similar prob to the glasgow waterboy

My car is an x reg 2001 bmw 318 ti se. I've had it for nearly 3 years and it's been brilliant. over last week had probs. i was turning a corner after stopping at a traffic light and tried to pick up speed moving my gear from 1 to 2 to 3, but it felt like it was pulling back and however hard i presses on the gas, it didn;t seem to wanna move. it felt like a had a flat tyre. Had to pull over on the side as other cars were on my heel!! quite a scary experience! I tried to move off again, but there seemd to be no power a s push the gas pedal. i moved about 4-5 metres before pulling up again. i carefully moved off again as there were no cars about. managed to get home which was only 4 minutes away. I do a 8-10 minute journey from home to work. and drive short distances at 40 mph in that short journey. I put in new engine oil that night as when i check ed teh dipstick it was below the min. It drove okay, till a week later, (today) problem returned as a moved off. car felt sluggish and slow to move at first. could it be the turbo. please help. ( i usually take my baby in my car...but don't want to risk it if car suddenly stops and doen't pick up speed, especially on roundabouts). HELP!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgowwaterboy View Post
Hello

I have owned my BMW 318i ES from new since March '09. I previously had a mark 1 Focus for 3 years and a mark 2 focus for 3 years after that (both 1.6 zetec's). I thought I was taking a step up when I got this BMW, which it is in terms of the overall driving experience of the car, but the acceleration problems with the car are really starting to irritate me.

The car has done just over 9,000 miles so I assume it is now well and trully 'bedded in'.

I was having a real issue with the car juddering/stuttering particularly when trying to accelerate in 2nd gear around the 1500-2000 rpm mark (sometimes a real hair-raising experience when trying to get through a gap in traffic at a roundabout!). I reported the fault to the dealer and after a bit of a wait for the new software to become available, it went in around mid August to have a software update which was designed to sort this problem out. While it has eradicated the judder effect I am still having issues with the acceleration capability of this car.

I honestly feel that my old 1.6 focus provided better acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears than this 2 litre BMW "ultimate driving machine" does. It's hard for me to describe because I'm not very technically gifted when it comes to cars, but when I am accelerating in 2nd and 3rd, I just feel that the car has absolutely no power - no "oomph", like it is very flat. It can be very frustrating especially as I feel I am almost willing this thing to move whilst watching the fuel economy gauge lurch to the right! There are times when I have literally put my foot right to the floor and there is just...nothing. I was putting normal 95 ron unleaded in it but have recently switched to the 99 ron super-unleaded to see if that makes a difference, but so far I can't feel any difference. Regards fuel economy - the computer is currently telling me I am getting 37.2 MPG. It was around 38 prior to the recent software upgrade.

I have phoned to get another appointment with the dealer to get it looked at again, but whenever I go there, I always get the feeling of being fobbed off unless you are going in with a very specific fault.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be wrong, or is this something that is common with these cars? When I am next at the dealer I am thinking of asking to test drive an equivalent model to see if it is just my car or all of these 318i's are the same. Are there specific things I should ask the dealer to check? I have a feeling I will need to be as specific/insistant as possible with them.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Hello

If you drive it diffently then the problem of accelerating in 2nd gear at 1500-2000 rpm should stop.

Last edited by joel barnard; 01-27-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
37 MPG!!!!!!!!!! I get 17!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 318i m sport
sluggish 318i (59 plate)

Hi i have had the same sort of problem as glasgowwaterbay.
Bearing in mind i brought this car new out of the show room in december 2009 it was fine up until the febuary that is when i started notice the juddering and missfires but still drove it for a few more days until one morning on my way to work i started pulling out of a junction and the engine cut out (luckly no cars on the road at this time of morning) toke 5 minutes to fire back up at this point i made my way to bmw where i purchased the car and the same happened again at a set of traffic lights at this point i was getting very frustrated especialy as the car is only 2 months old and only 2000 miles.when i finaly arrived at bmw they said they would take a look and diagnois it on there machine,after waiting for almost 3 hours they advise me that there was no fault with the car and all the could say was that with it being new the car needs to adjust to your driving (what a load of rubbish) with that i left.3 days later im back at bmw and throw the keys at the after sales manager and tell him he had better get the car sorted because within the 3 days it has gotten worse and there is no power at all.With in 30 minutes the gave me a courtacy car and told me the had just complete a deep diagnois of the engine and have found numerous faults the main being half the spark plugs had gone the ignition coil had gone and so hade the fuel injectors and it would take 2 weeks at least because they had to order them from Germany.any way i got the car back the last week in febuary.Then in the september it went back with the same problems the last week on the sunday i was driving back from seeing family and the engine management light flashed at me so i phgone bmw services and the advise me not to drive the car as there must be a serious engine malfunction so the car ended up on the back of a lorry to go back to bmw AGAIN they now tell me that its the cylinders that are causing the problem the first time i went to bmw it was cylinder 1 the secound time it was cylinder 2 this time its cylinder 3 when i collected the car yesterday they told me to expected it to happen again with cylinder 4 at this point i am seeing red and demand that they fix all under lying probems as this should not happen to a new car the reason i brought a new car was not to have these problems,but apparently the are not allowed to replace any parts under warenty unless they are faulty and at the moment cylinder 4 is no faulty so can not be repaced so i have to wait.my advise to anyone thinking of gettin a bmw forget it more hassle than its worth i mght take mine up to bmws show room and turn it in to a flower pot as that is all its good for. on all 3 occations they done a software update.

Last edited by xrpower; 02-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be wrong, or is this something that is common with these cars?
You DARE usurp my moniker?!

No wonder you have trouble. BMW generally makes free revving engines free of judder and hesitation.

However, the 318i's not sold in the USA. If you have lemon laws, guessing you're in England or Scotland, position yourself to use same. Your symptoms are severe.

Edit: In post #4, your problems were resolved.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 02-07-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrpower View Post
....this car new out of the show room in december 2009 it was fine up until the febuary that is when i started notice the juddering and missfires....

....at bmw they said they would take a look and diagnois it on there machine,after waiting for almost 3 hours they advise me that there was no fault with the car and all the could say was that with it being new the car needs to adjust to your driving....

....within the 3 days it has gotten worse and there is no power at all.With in 30 minutes the gave me a courtacy car and told me the had just complete a deep diagnois of the engine and have found numerous faults the main being half the spark plugs had gone the ignition coil had gone and so hade the fuel injectors and it would take 2 weeks at least because they had to order them from Germany.
You launched your keys at the sales manger? That guarantees a lengthy wait for parts!

You must learn humility to accept your place in the BMW hierarchy. You are but a customer, supporting the bottom of the Pyramid Of Tradition.