Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540-M Sport
GM3 module

Anyone ever needed and had their original GM3 module recoded?
Ads by Google
Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Never heard of it. Why do you think you need it?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackmond View Post
Anyone ever needed and had their original GM3 module recoded?
Typing /GM3 F3 in the bestlinks netted this site, which is a guy who fixes them for you:
- How to find the General Module under the glovebox and how to remove the GMIII General Module 3 and how to repair the GM 3 and how the GM3 affects door locks from the key fob and central locking button (1)

You might want to ask him (Scott).
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Well, if you want to change some setting in the GM3, you need to recode it. So plenty of people have, why are you asking?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Not a full re-code, but I did change one code parameter to enable the key remote to close the windows and sunroof.

Why do you ask? What do you want to do?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 AM

Last year my interior maps lights, glove box light, trunk lights, warning chimes, seat memory and auto steering wheel up when exiting stop working. After searching this site and others I thought it was the GM3 module. I sent the module to Scott and he couldnít find anything wrong with. I put the module back in the car and the same things were not working. I get in the car about an hour later and everything is working. Everything continued to work for a few days and then those same issues resurfaced. For the next several months those same issues would come and go at random. About three months ago they stop working and had not worked at all until last night. I open the trunk to get something out and the lights came on! I couldnít believe it. I check the other lights, seat memory, warning chimes everything was working and I check this morning and everything is still working. Thatís why I thought I may need the module recoded but obviously I donít. Any idea what could be causing this?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Not all of the inop functions are controlled by the GM/ZKE. For instance, lights are operated by the LCM. Since you have "recovered" these items when opening the trunk, perhaps the car has some broken wiring in the trunk harness, which is a known problem with a range of seemingly unrelated symptoms.

Search Best Links for description, symptoms and repair methods.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
If it's the trunk wiring loom, typing /loom F3 will net this, among others:
- How to repair your frayed trunk wiring loom (1)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM

Smile

I've already check that wiring. I did have a couple of wires with cuts but I repaired them. I appreciate the information.