Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
DIY: 1998 528i AM Radio Reception Fix (also applicable to other BMW models)!

1998 528i AM Radio Reception Fix (also applicable to other BMW models)

It is a beautiful day so I decide to tackle my AM Radio issue. I have FM Radio but no AM Radio. Searched the internet, hundreds of threads and thousands of people with this problem and BMW is of no help. Just Google "BMW AM Antenna reception" and you will hundreds, if not thousands threads.
So the matter is in our hands to fix, how about that!

GENERAL NOTES:
1. Get an independent Home Radio and tune to different FM and AM channels and copy on a piece of paper for testing on your BMW Radio.
2. Get an independent "LOOP" AM Antenna for testing, usually sold with home stereo system. If not, get a "LOOP" AM Antenna at your stereo store for a few dollars.
3. Do this outside (not indoor parking garage) for best radio reception.
4. Clean your hand before touching the Interior Trim.
5. Be careful not to damage the Rear Windshield Heating Elements. If any is damaged, auto parts stores sell repair kit ($5-6) to re-establish the continuity of the circuit.
6. Do a search on how:
- FM works (Open loop antenna)
- AM works (Closed loop antenna)
- BMW "Diversity" Antenna concept. Basically switching for best Channels. It was fitted for 1997 to ? 2001 models (can't be sure) then BMW dropped this concept.

PROCEDURES:
1. Get familiar with the Radio and Antenna layout. This was taken from realoem dot com.

2. To remove M.I.D. and CD Player, see my other DIY for DICE and CD Player Install.
Basically Allen or Torx #10 to remove M.I.D., then Torx#10 to remove the CD Player. Straightforward:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235269

Note that in early CD Player Models, there are 2 Antenna Connections (The Main and Diversity Connections) in the back. Here is a diagram of the CD Player Pinout:

3. To check the FM-AM Antenna Amplifier, there are 2 separate areas: Driver's and Passenger's side C-pillars. The Driver's side (US model) contains the Antenna Amplifier and the Pass Side contains Diversity or AM antenna. Look it up, I can't be sure.

4. No need to remove Rear Headrest, Seats (as seen in some DIYs). Simply pry the TOP of the light cover, it will come out. Then pull the TOP of the trim then wiggle it out:

5. Note the 2 clips and 3 tabs for re-installation. During re-installation, slide the bttom tab first (BE CAREFUL not to damage any Heating Elements!)
Also pay attention to the rear frame rubber seal to see how it fits for re-installation:

6. The FM-AM Antenna Amplifier is held by either Torx #25 or Metric bolts depending on the years and models. Take a minute to look at the setup so you don't get mixed up later:

7. I happened to open the FM-AM Antenna Amplifier to see the inside for any broken connection solder joints but found none so I closed it back up. For those who are curious what the Inside Anatomy of the FM-AM Antenna Amplifier, here it is:

8. Look at REAR windshield glass: the Very TOP 2 "Heating Element" are not Heating Elements but rather part of the Antenna design. I believe:
The Driver's side is OPEN Loop for FM reception.
The Passenger's side is CLOSED Loop for AM reception.

9. Then disconnect all the cables. Note that coaxial cables are designed with inner core and outer shield to be OPEN.
Using an Ohmmeter and Voltmeter to verify that:
- Ground Cable to Chassis is 0 Ohm.
- The "Diversity AM" cable connecting R and L side is not defective by using an Ohmmeter to check corresponding parts of both ends and it should be 0 Ohm.
- Main FM-AM Cable both ends (one end is in the driver's side pillar and the other end behind the CD Player) are OK and not damaged. Resistance should be 0 Ohm. Again, measure resistance with corresponding parts of both ends.
- With Key ON and Radio ON, there should be 12V at the "Power Supply" wire as shown in Steps #6-7 above.

Passenger's C-Pillar area:

10. Now with MID and CD pulled slightly from dash (but still connected electrically); tune on Radio and tune to a known local AM Station. If you have been having problems then you should get no AM reception but here is the good news:
- Check the FM Radio by using a short telephone wire inserted into the Connection Center Hole: you should get FM stations (switch to FM).
- Check the AM Radio (Switch to AM) by using an independent Home Stereo LOOP AM Antenna as shown: one wire inside and one wire outside the Connection: bingo mine works, so I know my MID and CD Player units can get AM stations. So my AM reception problem is outside of these Units! The Problem maybe in the Cable or the Antenna Amplifier in the REAR pillars.

11. After fiddling around for 3-4 hours, I figure out the root cause of this whole AM reception by BMW! The FM-AM Cable "Center Round Pin" is a bit too small for the Connection in the back of the CD player so it is hit or miss issue for different car owners.

12. Take a close look at the FM-AM Cable "Center Round Pin", it has a star shape like Mercedes logo. Here is the trick, use a PICKING Tool and widen the 3 grooves in the FM-AM Cable "Center Round Pin" a bit. Be careful not to damage this cable; it is not expensive (about $40) but replacing this cable is NO FUN, routing through a lot of trim work to get to the Rear C pillars with tons of labor!

13. The bottom line is by widening the 3 grooves in the FM-AM Cable "Center Round Pin" a bit, it makes the connection at the Rear of the CD Player better.

14. Now re-attach FM-AM Cable to the CD Player, you should get AM reception now! The trick is to pull the FM-AM Cable out a tiny bit (maybe 1 mm) so it is tight.

15. Now, with the radio tuned your favorite AM channel, slowly slide the CD Player in, making sure there is nothing behind to distort the FM-AM Cable itself. This FM-AM Cable Connection is a bit finicky, so you will learn how to deal with it during re-install. Leave the AM Radio On during re-install so you can adjust the Cable.

16. The Morale of this lesson: Carry an Allen or Torx #10 key in the car. Should you have problem with AM reception, slide the MID out and reach your hand back there to wiggle the FM-AM Cable Connection Point to get AM connection.

17. Congratulations, you just fixed a famous AM reception problem plaguing hundreds/thousands of BMWs causing bad reputation for BMW.

18. Enjoy your AM Radio ball games and traffic report on AM Radio and have a beer.

19. Last but not least, post your feedback after you have done this. All you need to fix AM Radio Reception problem is an Allen or Torx#10 and a PICKING Tool to spread the Cable Pound Pin, and this may be all you need to do (rather than all the stuff I described from Steps #1-15 above!), so others can learn.

20. And send me a Thank You Note with 6-packs!!! Hehe.....

----
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD43-CD-Pinout.jpg
Views:	26391
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	200151   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna00.jpg
Views:	24655
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	200152   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna01.jpg
Views:	20143
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	200153   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna02.jpg
Views:	19618
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	200154   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna03.jpg
Views:	21815
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	200155  

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna05.jpg
Views:	21070
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	200157   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna06.jpg
Views:	21733
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	200158   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna07.jpg
Views:	21052
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	200159   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna08.jpg
Views:	23828
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	200160   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998-528i-Antenna04.jpg
Views:	23344
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	200166  

Last edited by cn90; 09-06-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
EXCELLENT!

Glad you figured it out and what a great write-up.

Now...how often will you be listening to AM radio?
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
EXCELLENT!....Now...how often will you be listening to AM radio?
I did this for other bimmerheads!
To be honest with you, most of the time I listen to FM radio Classical Music.
AM radio is for weather, traffic and some sports stuff.
AM radio is for old farts like myself.....
Young kids these days don't listen to AM any longer (I might be wrong!).

Since I hate non-functional equipment, therefore this DIY!

Last edited by cn90; 09-05-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm otay. You are not.

Mein Auto: 98 540i Sport Auto
That's a great write-up (I figured the issue out accidentally, but many others will benefit from this thread)!

I'm an old fart, too. I like AM for the talk stations and ESPN radio when I'm in areas with huge trees that block my XM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:43 AM

UPDATE:

I posted this also on bimmerforums and received a nice input from a previous Ham Radio Operator:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...php?p=17326010

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5hoot View Post
Yes, I have done it a dozen times before on other similar situations and just so happened to do it in this application as well. Being a ham radio op since I was a small boy, I have used the solder trick to extend the center connector on some coax connectors that are too short for some reason as well as say I have a wall wort that has the correct size center connector "hole" but the outside barrel diameter is too loose or a sloppy fit inside the radio, laptop, or whatever I am trying to get the wall wort plug properly sized for and I just don't have one in the drawer. I melt a small amount of solder on the outside of the barrel and then remove almost all of it such that I built up the diameter just enough to made it now be a snug fit. Solder is a long (forever) lasting electrical conductor but also adds material to anything that is slightly undersized. Best to hold the connector sideways (horizontal) or slightly upside down as you don't just want the solder to flow too easily down inside to simply improve the connection, but you want it to "ball-up" at the tip making it about .010" bigger. The center female connection has some "give" to it such that if you add too much solder the female will give a little to hold is snug. If you were to maybe get a good connection with the solder but too big a ball at the tip, you can just lightly touch it to a dremel wheel or whatever and shape it very easily.
GREAT Info from a previous Ham Radio Operator! Now people have 2 options:

1. Spread the Mercedes star as in my DIY...or

2. Soldering Trick (Although I have not tried this soldering trick, but I love this trick!).
Old 09-26-2009, 06:56 AM

Follow-up, one month later my DIY AM Radio Channel Fix works great.
AM Channels are nice and clear as Home Stereo.

Last edited by cn90; 09-26-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Habitual User

Mein Auto: E39 540i, E39 M5, E34 535
cn90,
Thanks for another incredible write-up!
You're a real treasure on this board.
Nothing like getting props from QS7 as a bonus.

I was about to use your "Black Iron Pipe" tool to fix my radio, but now, I'll give this a try.

Getting my marching orders from talk radio has been difficult up till now.

Keep 'em commin'!

MAHALO,

HaoliBird
Old 09-27-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
cn90
I was about to use your "Black Iron Pipe" tool to fix my radio, but now, I'll give this a try.
haolibird,

How is it going?
If you look at my DIY, although it lists the whole thing in detail, the process is actually very quick.
Once the CD and MID are out, just widen the "Mercedes" star a bit and you are done.
Better yet, try the soldering trick to make the pin a bit 'fatter' as posted.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Habitual User

cn90,

Life is good!
Thanks for asking.

Fresh oil, new plugs, rotated tires.
Hell, if it were not for DSP, life would be perfect!

I have torx in hand, along w/ the proper pick for the Merc Star, and it will be done.

Again, thanks for all the DIY's.
I have had no need for the Bentley's, yet!

Aloha!

HB
Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Be american, get a bimmer

Mein Auto: 00' 540i, 87' benz 300DT
I actually have bad FM reception for some reason and i live in the city... will this DIY be same for FM or only AM?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filon102 View Post
I actually have bad FM reception for some reason and i live in the city... will this DIY be same for FM or only AM?
Both FM and AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
i don't have a problem with either receptions, but nice write up. the best part is the very bottom. skip steps 1-15 and just do this. i always hate it when you spend hours trying to fix a problem, and find out that it really was a 2min. fix.lol
btw, don't your radio have the wb buttuon for weather? and espn has a fm station now. here where i live it's 99.9.
ah, do i still have to send a 6pk? seein how i did use your write up for the intake job this weekend.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Habitual User

UPDATE!!

cn90,

Just got back from a trip to the Bay Area (510 miles, 6.5 hrs, 2 stops. Damn, I love this ride!) and my radio performed GREAT!!! Picked up stations up and down the 5 corridor, and gave me some appreciation for my DSP stereo.
Just wanted to say "Thanks", Cam.
Keep the posts coming.

Mucho Mahalo!

HB

Oh, if any of you have a chance to see "American Idiot, the Musical"... GREAT SHOW!!

Aloha
T
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2000, 528i wagon
Great write up! I started by removing the stereo and plugging in a home stereo antennae into the back of the head unit, bam great reception. I plugged the factory antennae back in and all i got was the standard hissing. I tried expanding the connection to make it tighter and got the same hissing sound. Any ideas? Can i plug in a home antennae and bypass the normal factory antennae all together?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 AM

I guess you can try home antenna and report back. Just hide the AM ring behind the dash.

Or: use a solder and add a tiny bit of solder on the INNER core of the factory coaxial cable to make it a bit "fatter".
Read the posts in bimmerforums by "m5hoot":

Please report back your remedy.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Habitual User

cn90,

Radio still performing great!

Thanks again for ALL your contributions to this forum.

Aloha!

Haolibird
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Hi - same issue here - this is an awesome thread, thanks a lot to the OP. What a great job documenting this!

I have great FM reception but the AM was never good, and about 2 weeks ago the AM started cutting out about 5 minutes into a drive, then it cut out completely. FM & iPod still work great

My car is a 2000 540i with Nav (no DSP) and a CD changer in the trunk (replaced long ago with a Dice ipod unit,). I have a 4x3 screen in the dash, with radio & cassette next to it, not the widescreen unit.

As I understand it, the radio itself is in the trunk, drivers side, the silver box parallel to and below the brake light.

I have hold of what I think is the FM/AM antenna lead right there on top of the box. While screwing around with this I have gotten some AM reception back, so I am 99% sure it is the antenna lead I am fiddling with.

But it seems to have a different pin connector than the one shown above, there is no three section split to gently widen. It's a solid core. There do appear to be three sections to the contact point in the radio itself. Should I try pushing them together? I pushed on one gently and it seemed pretty solid. I am worried more force will break something.

I am assuming that there is no connector like this behind the piece in my dashboard that I need to check - if the radio is in the trunk why route the antenna to the dash, just send the control circuits to the dash, right?

Should I be doing the above detailed testing on the amplifier/receiver modules behind the C-Pillars? I did loosen and re-tighten all of the coax connectors going to each module.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-20-2010, 04:15 PM

I don't know about 540i but all you need to do is to pay attention to Step #12 and that is it! 10 min job max.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Hi cn90,
Thanks again for all of the effort posting this. But it seems BMW went to a different cable on the 2000 540. The connector does not have any sections to widen.

My AM radio is back to unpredictable on again-off again operation. It is quite frustrating.

I think next I will try conductive grease in the coax fittings to the antenna amplifiers, then new amplifiers, then a new unit in the dash.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedarts View Post
...But it seems BMW went to a different cable on the 2000 540. The connector does not have any sections to widen.
Could you take a pic of your cable and post it?
Some Radio hobbyists apply a tiny of solder on the inner core of the cable to increase conductivity and it works.
So post a pic.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM

Here are some pics (amazing what you can do with a flashlight & macro mode)

there is nothing on the tip of the cable to spread. The circumference of the center pin/cylinder is also continuous, so I do not think it would widen.

For today - whenever AM cuts out, I have been able to get it back by switching to FM for a 5 count, and then back. Very odd.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2587.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	219595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2585.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	219596   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2588.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	219597  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM

As I mentioned, get a solder and drop a tiny layer of solder on the tip of the cable.

Read Posts by "m5hoot":
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi
Excellent write up and pics. Many thanks for renewing my faith.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
nice write up but let me get this right, all i have to do is split open the pin a bit to get better AM reception? if so... well, i want my 2 minutes back reading and studying your pictures of the C pillar and everything else unnecessary!!!

nah... good write-up and i'm the type who listens to AM (1010 WINS) when i drive.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000, 528i wagon
Just an update. I fixed the radio reception problem by disabling the CD changer. I discovered that the cd changer connection was made inline with the antennae wiring. Basically, the antennae wire plugged into a small box (fm modulator), another antennae wire was plugged into the same box, then connected to the back of the radio head unit. I simply removed this box and ran the antennae wire directly into the head unit. Now the radio works great. I think somehow the fm modulator was messing with the signal. I ended up installing a DICE Silverline Pro and everything works perfect.

Just something to try if you can't get yours working right.