Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2010 335d
335d and Navigation System?

Is the navigation system on this really something worth having? I was going to forgo it and just use a Garmin unit. Wanted to hear some thought. After adding the $2000+ sport package I was hesitant to add yet another $2000+ for navigation...

thanks,

brian
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Yes, it is worth it. Don't cheap out. Full integration, future firmware upgrades, internet usability, multimedia experience, etc...

Again, don't cheap out.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
I think it is an awesome addition and dont listen to the fool who says "dont cheap out". You are already buying a hugely more expensive car than he has and who GAF anyways? lol

I like the iDrive because it flows with the car. Integration is wonderful and you can control more than just nav w/ it. (Im sure you know that but thats why I got it)
The radio control, bluetooth, everything is just easy and clean.

I'd say go for it.
And don't forget, don't cheap out!

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 11 BMW 335is E93
I can't speak to the MY09 NAV systems; I have an 07. The previous generation nav, like most built-in systems, was not worth the money. Your Garmin is more useable. However, there are a bunch of other features that BMW choose to only expose via iDrive. If you don't have the nav, then there is no way to access some of the functionality. For this reason, plus resale value, i got the nav. From the pictures I've seen the 09 nav system is much improved....

A
2010 Honda Civic LX
Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewket View Post
I can't speak to the MY09 NAV systems; I have an 07. The previous generation nav, like most built-in systems, was not worth the money. Your Garmin is more useable. However, there are a bunch of other features that BMW choose to only expose via iDrive. If you don't have the nav, then there is no way to access some of the functionality. For this reason, plus resale value, i got the nav. From the pictures I've seen the 09 nav system is much improved....

A
Well the Garmin is more user friendly but I like the iDrive's nav more. The full screen maps on a screen that is MUCH bigger than the Garmin's are great!

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, FX35
If you can afford it get it. This is one of those options like Comfort access that is almost impossible to retrofit in case you change your mind later. I for one was willing to pay the premium for an integrated solution. Cant stand the tacky add on garmin with all the wires. Even the semi integrated BMW Garmin looks tacky to me and it begs "steal me".
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I have an 08 with the old system, and I still like it better than the Garmin I bought for my wifes car. Yes, the Garmin has better POI info than the old system, but, I like that the in-car system is very well integrated, has more readable maps, for me, is larger and clearer, has additional worthwhile features, like RTTI, and, is always there and I don't have to keep messing around with wires and putting up the Garmin and remembering to take it down.

And the new system is much better than the old one.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

You guys talk about the garmin wires and I have a Garmin in my e39. Guess what? No wires.
I charge it at night, bada bing bada boom.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: Lovely e90
Then when your battery fails your ****ed.

I have an 06 with nav, and its my favorite feature about the car. I personally would take nav over sport package, but thats just me.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
Is the navigation system on this really something worth having? I was going to forgo it and just use a Garmin unit. Wanted to hear some thought. After adding the $2000+ sport package I was hesitant to add yet another $2000+ for navigation...

thanks,

brian
Nav aside, would you use the other features that iDrive has to offer?There is quite an extensive list of features that non-idrive car don't have.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i sedan
The new idrive is AMAZING. Trust me you want it. The first time you send a destination to your car with google its worth it. It is fully integrated, nice colors, 3D building display in cities, plays DVDs, new circular info entry is very easy to use, when you are listening to HD radio it gives you all the song's info...
Can't say enough, i'm still learning what this thing does and I've had the car for 9 months
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
The navigation system is nice. Some people will point out areas where a Garmin might be better, and it is obviously much cheaper... BUT, the navigation system option is not just about getting a navigation system.

You also get:
1. full integration into the car
2. better voice command system
3. better display for audio functions, including the USB/ipod interface, Sirius, etc. if your car has these
4. much better interface for using Bluetooth, including dialing or accessing your phonebook

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 09-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The navigation system is nice. Some people will point out areas where a Garmin might be better, and it is obviously much cheaper... BUT, the navigation system option is not just about getting a navigation system.

You also get:
1. full integration into the car
2. better voice command system
3. better display for audio functions, including the USB/ipod interface, Sirius, etc. if your car has these
4. much better interface for using Bluetooth, including dialing or accessing your phonebook
Don't forget dead reckoning. Built in Navs also receive input from the car speed so when you go through tunnels, or downtown where there are large buildings, even if you lose satellite/GPS signals, the car can still provide directions and update map position. To get a garmin to do this; you need to buy the $1500 system and have it connected to the cars computer.

I found Garmin's worthless when driving around downtown San Francisco for example. By the time it got signal I missed my turns.

Garmins are great devices. But you can't compare a $250 Garmin to a built in iDrive system with Nav. Huge difference in capabilities.

Last edited by NetSpySD; 09-06-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
No doubt about it: get it if you can

it is worth the price, IMO.

European Delivery: June 25, 2012
Old 09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

I think the guy gets the point now LOL
Everyone says get it

Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
I personally would take nav over sport package, but thats just me.
+1...that's what I'd did for all the reasons listed
Old 09-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

thanks,

brian
No. The BMW Navi is POS. A garmin will be faster, offer better instructions, be more reliable and be portable.

My 335i has navi built-in. Never again. Or at least not until navi costs what it should cost on the car - $300-400. My wife's Tomtom acquires 5-6 sats in seconds (inside the house), it can be used on our vacations (including europe), it can updated quickly and easily and it's pretty much disposable. My 335i's navi has gone blank numerous times and do you know what that means? No navi = no radio. The BMW dealership can't explain it or fix it. I'd say i'm an anomaly but my sister's e90 did the same thing and eventually her electrical system went kaput resulting in a 3 week visit to the dealer.

Try entering an address with BMW's navi. It takes far longer than using a portable system and it does a worse job than any current portable system at providing instructions.

The stuff about customization and all that... honestly it's not worth it. BMW's been using the same setup in their cars for eons. There's no reason this thing should be more than $500. You can buy a full text-to-speech Garmin or Tomtom for less than $100 now. Stick with a portable unit.

Last edited by brkf; 09-06-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
No. The BMW Navi is POS. A garmin will be faster, offer better instructions, be more reliable and be portable.

My 335i has navi built-in. Never again. Or at least not until navi costs what it should cost on the car - $300-400. My wife's Tomtom acquires 5-6 sats in seconds (inside the house), it can be used on our vacations (including europe), it can updated quickly and easily and it's pretty much disposable. My 335i's navi has gone blank numerous times and do you know what that means? No navi = no radio. The BMW dealership can't explain it or fix it. I'd say i'm an anomaly but my sister's e90 did the same thing and eventually her electrical system went kaput resulting in a 3 week visit to the dealer.

Try entering an address with BMW's navi. It takes far longer than using a portable system and it does a worse job than any current portable system at providing instructions.

The stuff about customization and all that... honestly it's not worth it. BMW's been using the same setup in their cars for eons. There's no reason this thing should be more than $500. You can buy a full text-to-speech Garmin or Tomtom for less than $100 now. Stick with a portable unit.
^ This is the type of guy that ruins peoples' decisions.
He is obviously using the old idrive.

Dont listen to that fool/tool.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2010 335d
So you can send locations from google to the Navi? Did I rad that correctly? Also, did I read correctly that the iDrive has internet access?? Hadn't heard about that before. Does that mean I can go on google in the car and find hotels, check email, etc? That would be quite the feature.

thanks,

brian
Old 09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Quote:
So you can send locations from google to the Navi? Did I rad that correctly? Also, did I read correctly that the iDrive has internet access?? Hadn't heard about that before. Does that mean I can go on google in the car and find hotels, check email, etc? That would be quite the feature.

thanks,

brian
You cant send locations from the comp to it. Im not 100% sure on this but I think you can do some sort of google search but no you cant read emails and browse the web. Sorry.
I dont know where or when that feature will be available. Probably just europe

Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpySD View Post
Don't forget dead reckoning. Built in Navs also receive input from the car speed so when you go through tunnels, or downtown where there are large buildings, even if you lose satellite/GPS signals, the car can still provide directions and update map position. To get a garmin to do this; you need to buy the $1500 system and have it connected to the cars computer.

I found Garmin's worthless when driving around downtown San Francisco for example. By the time it got signal I missed my turns.

Garmins are great devices. But you can't compare a $250 Garmin to a built in iDrive system with Nav. Huge difference in capabilities.
This is an interesting point that few mention - though many great points on the pro's of iDrive have been mentioned in this thread. Portable units are horrible in San Francisco, the tall buildings and steep hills get them lost or behind you. Virtually useless.

iDrive's nav can keep track of you (more or less) going in circles in a parking garage. Plus the antenna on the roof is much more powerful and picks up the requisite number of satellites much faster if the signal is lost due to trees, tunnel, etc.

On my last ED while in Europe, I had to take an exit within a long 5+ mile tunnel. Traffic slowed dramatically while in the tunnel, then sped back up. If I had a portable unit, which would have 100% missed instructing me to take the exit, it would have caused at least a 1/2 hour detour. iDrive's nav kept track of my position the whole time in the tunnel and still gave me an accurate count-down to the exit.

Quote:

If I recall from your bitching on the Edmunds Inside Line LT blogs, you have a CPO '07, so you have the old-news iDrive that's been completely replaced on the '09's. There's no comparison - the systems have nothing in common (even the manufacturer is new), so advising against someone buying a new one based on your experience with the current one isn't so valuable of advice.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
You cant send locations from the comp to it.
The dealer said that you can do this, but I'm not clear on specifics. I think its an email address that you send the location to.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
I've only had my car for two weeks now but I love the i-drive. You get so much more than just the nav system and it really is much easier to use than the old version. I have used a Tom Tom 910 for a couple of years and the BMW system is different but the Tom Tom had quirks as well so it's a trade off.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
You cant send locations from the comp to it. Im not 100% sure on this but I think you can do some sort of google search but no you cant read emails and browse the web. Sorry.
I dont know where or when that feature will be available. Probably just europe
You can, search for something on Google Maps, click on 'Send', then 'Car', then select 'BMW', then choose your country and enter your BMW Assist ID and voilą... it goes to the car.

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 09-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:

It kind of depends on what else the car is equipped with. If Premium Package/BMW Assist (Bluetooth interface), iPod & USB, or Logic7 are in the mix, iDrive becomes a compelling option. Then you are not having to justify the cost on just the relative value of the Navigation system. I was having to make the same decision with my 335d order and even though I am no fan of the BMW Navigation system, the added features of iDrive with Premium Package (Bluetooth), iPod & USB and Logic7 options tipped the decision to spend the $ on the Navigation system option. I will probably configure one of the steering wheel buttons to turn the Navigation screen on/off.... That way, I can use the screen when I need it, and avoid the distraction the rest of the time.