Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 87 528e
inconsistent "no spark" condition on 528e

Hello everyone, I'm back! I have a problem with an inconsistent situation. I can start the car most times when it is cold, it runs for awhile, then either stalls and will not start, or I can turn off the car and it won't start again, with a no spark condition. I have changed the motronic and a number of other things to no avail. I have cleaned contact points, looked for bare wires,etc, but nothing seems to solve the problem. I was told that the crank sensors either work or they don't, there is no in between. I am stumped! Does anyone have any ideas out there? My daughter drives this car, and every time she is gone, and the phone rings, I get cold chills running down my spine. What the heck is going on here? Please, will somebody help me. Thanks Kevin
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
either the main relay or the fuel relay. Take them out and see if they have green crap on them (corosion) If they do either clean them up or get new ones.

Andy
Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 87 528e
reply to reply on "no spark" on 528e

Hey Andy, Kevin here, I had put in a new main relay(that is the one on the side of the fuse box with 5 contacts, right?) I don't have a manual, this is a game for me, to try and figure things out for myself, but the game is over. This has been very frustrating. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, there is no rhyme or reason. The guy I bought it from trashed this thing, and it's taken a lot of my time to restore it, he even put a nice after market deck in there, but wired it up all WRONG, blowing the amp in the trunk in the meantime. He never changed the timing belt, and it broke, bending some valves, that's why I got it so cheap, so I replaced all the valves and hoses, air intake boot, water pump, coil, rotor and cap, SI board, motronic, idle control valve etc. After all that, it started doing this, so I cleaned the plugs under the intake, that turned out to be the crank sensors and it started right up, but now I'm having the same problem, I cleaned them again thinking I would get the same result, but NOOO!. I still needed those other things, except for the motronic and the little green box in front of it, but someone told me I needed a spare anyway. Now, last night the starter started making some metal to metal clunking noises when I turn it over, so today I get to take the starter out, and yes every once in awhile it over heats, I have burped it till I'm blue in the face. Could that be because I took the thermostat out? Thanks for your input. Kevin
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Bavarian Moterwerks JAH!

Mein Auto: 1983 528E
Question

Hows your battery? cap and rotor, plugs gap em at .32-.34(NGK don't use platinums! they gum up fast!) plug wires? Battery terminals/wiring? engine grounds? Alternator is producing proper charge? Anyways keep us posted....oh and I also hear that the ECU can do stuff like that too if it doesn't proper amps/volts...GOOD LUCK!

83/7 production Graphite Metallic 528e