Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3ng1 View Post
rs6655,
Thanks for the info and website link!
You're quite welcome. I've gained so much valuable information on this site I feel obligated to contribute where I can.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM

For me having a hitch was essential. Here is a pic of my little 4x6 utility trailer that replaced our Tacoma pickup and one of the Yakima Holdup bike rack. I've hauled furniture, lumber and our sons motorcycle with the trailer. It's also our hurricane "bug out" trailer. I have plans to put taller, enclosed, sides and a hard top on it.

I've hauled the bikes from North FL all the way to Key West and back without any problems. The only drawback is that you can't open the back hatch with bikes on it so we have to go through the back seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1698.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	200782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1719.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	200783  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Just a quick comparison. My dealer in NH has the following prices:

Hitch = $390, installed = $810.
Ball and pin = $42.50, installed = $84.50.

Interesting. The BMW instructions state "Suggested installation time 1.5 hours". It took me maybe 4+ hours. I seem to work at the speed of your BMW dealer, allowing about $100/hr for labor. :-) But then, I've never taken the bumper cover off of, or opened the trunk panels on, an X3 before. Are they including training time for their mechanics, one might ask.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM
about the mini part....

Send a message via Skype™ to minicrazy592
Mein Auto: E90 M-tech, E30 M-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
My plug fell out within weeks on Installation.

I would go with the BMW hitch since as has been said, it is not an easy job and since I doubt U-Haul gets many X-3's, I would consider it worth the extra cost either as a DIY or Dealer install.

Chhers
Someone stole mine when I parked outside on a "questionable" street. God I hope they didn't make a necklace out of it because it says BMW
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmadoggie View Post
Interesting. The BMW instructions state "Suggested installation time 1.5 hours". It took me maybe 4+ hours. I seem to work at the speed of your BMW dealer, allowing about $100/hr for labor. :-) But then, I've never taken the bumper cover off of, or opened the trunk panels on, an X3 before. Are they including training time for their mechanics, one might ask.
You had be beat. It took me the better part of a day to do mine. The dealership offered to do it for nothing but I was afraid that the tech that got the job would not be quite as careful as I would be so I declined. Since I don't see that many X3's with hitches it's quite possible that the job could go to one that had never done it before.

With all the stuff that has to come off I really think it's a job best left to a BMW body shop and not the service dept.