Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3
DIY Oil change at 49.9k

Bought my 05 CPO in Dec 08 with 41k. My wife drives the vehicle in start/go traffic in NJ and now has 49.9k on the odometer.

I was given the maintenance records showing that it had 15k, 30k, and 41K k oil changes/maint.

I've done all my past oil changes on everything from motorcycles, VW's, Chryslers, etc.
Never a problem, so I wanted to do it myself since a year has gone by since last oil change. The last oil change was supposedly in Oct 08 at 41k when the dealer took in the car before I bought it.

Here's what I found today when I changed it myself. Large clumps of sludge and visible
dirt particles at the bottom of my drain basin. The oil filter was deformed and filthy with dirt particles. I'm now wondering if the oil in fact was changed at 41k.

I'm glad I did not wait the additional 6k miles to change the oil with the
service indicator.

Should I change it again as a precaution to see if more sludge comes out? I think so.

So as I lesson, I would definitely change the oil immediately after purchasing any used car from a dealer.
Sorry so long winded.

Greg from New Jersey
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
wow! there are garages that provide service to flush oil from the valve covers down through to the oil pan. i've never had it done and have no idea what it cost, but your experience seems like the ideal situation to investigate the procedure.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW318ti
I run a BMW LL-01 approved oil(Mobil 1 0w-40) in my truck and I change it every 8000-8500 miles. Blackstone UOAs show that the additive package is almost completely depleted by that time.
2009 328i
1999 Wrangler Sahara
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
1996 Speed Triple
Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjasr View Post
Bought my 05 CPO in Dec 08 with 41k. My wife drives the vehicle in start/go traffic in NJ and now has 49.9k on the odometer.

I was given the maintenance records showing that it had 15k, 30k, and 41K k oil changes/maint.

I've done all my past oil changes on everything from motorcycles, VW's, Chryslers, etc.
Never a problem, so I wanted to do it myself since a year has gone by since last oil change. The last oil change was supposedly in Oct 08 at 41k when the dealer took in the car before I bought it.

Here's what I found today when I changed it myself. Large clumps of sludge and visible
dirt particles at the bottom of my drain basin. The oil filter was deformed and filthy with dirt particles. I'm now wondering if the oil in fact was changed at 41k.

I'm glad I did not wait the additional 6k miles to change the oil with the
service indicator.

Should I change it again as a precaution to see if more sludge comes out? I think so.

So as I lesson, I would definitely change the oil immediately after purchasing any used car from a dealer.
Sorry so long winded.

Greg from New Jersey
I assume the oil changes were done at the dealer under the warranty. If not, perhaps synthetic oil was not used. The 41k change seems suspect under the warranty unless it was done under the 1 year interval. Typically oil changes are done every 15k. Maybe do another o.c. after 5k
Old 11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
If you saw a lot of sludge, I would personally perform another oil change. Drive your X3 until it is fully up to temperature. Then let it cool and change it again.

Do another change around 4k miles since you don't drive your X3 far based on your mileage/times between changes. hat alone can build up sludge. Try to get it out for a good drive weekly if possible!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!