Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 325I
No clutch pressure

Hi,
My '92 325I has been sitting for quite some time. Got engine running today, but I have no pressure against the clutch pedal whatsoever. Does anyone have any idea where to start? Master cylinder for brakes is to proper level. Pedal goes down and has to be pulled up by hand. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 09-07-2009, 02:36 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
How long has it been sitting for?

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM

About 4 years
Old 09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
IM DA BES

Ha! yea I was thinking about 4-5 months. Well then, the first thing I would do is replace all fluids anyway. Id bleed the brake fluid (also clutch fluid), im guessing there is air in the system. So bleed the brake fluid through the brake cylinders, then bleed the same fluid through the slave cylinder. That the first fluid id change just so that you know the clutch still does its job

Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Where is the bleader valve for the clutch?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
IM DA BES

On the slave cylinder under the tranny. Ill try to pull a picture up when I can. Its the same concept as bleeding the brakes.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Done plenty of brake bleeding. So blead valve gets accessed from under car below transmission? Will propping up front wheels on car ramps suffice, or do I need to jack up back wheels as well? Thanks For ALL YOUR HELP-I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR KNOWLEDGE
Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM
IM DA BES

Well just for safety I remember doing mine with all for tires off the ground. Yes, the bleeder gets accessed from underneath the car and you'll see a rubber hose connected to the cylinder. On the end of the slave cylinder you'll see the bleeder there. Its very simple.

Im not sure if you can see it in this picture, ill comment or direct on it after I post (i cant see the pic very well):

NP

Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM
IM DA BES

Damn, no you cant see it in the pic but its right behind the wires from the wiring harness.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks again. I live in NJ so it is dark right now. I will look for it right after work tommorrow night. THANKS AGAIN>
Old 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM
IM DA BES

Haha, no problem . Now im just giving you heads up, that doesnt guarantee its the problem your having, but im telling you from experience, thats wut I did to solve the problem 2 months back.

BTW, Welcome to the 'fest .

Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Found the bleeder

I used my Jeep Liberty to pull the 325I onto some car ramps. Wala, I found the bleader right where you said it would be. Ran out of daylight, so I will probably bleed it out tommorrow night, if I get home in time.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
IM DA BES

Old 09-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Hey,

Work was a nightmare all week, just got around to bleeding clutch this morning. Topped off master cylinder, cracked bleeder valve wide open, nothing coming out. Retightened pumped for 3 minutes-No pressure, cracked bleeder again. still no fluid, topped off, pumped, cracked valve 3 more times, nothing coming out-Any ideas? Do I need to start car to get brake booster helping? Keep trying same way? Pressure bleeder time? Sorry if these questions are stupid, 7th BMW only 2nd manual transmission. M3 has not had any clutch issues yet KOW. Only positive sign is MC level goes down every time I pump-must be displacing some air. -Thanks AGAIN Bernie

Wow, thats really weird. Only time that happened to me was when my slave cylinder was clogged like hell. What we did was take off the clutch hose that connects to the slave cylinder. First see if any fluid is going THAT far. maybe give a good pump or two (or maybe a couple) and see if any fluid goes through. If fluid goes through the hoses, GOOD . Now that would probably mean that the slave cylinder is the one holding you back. Take those two bolts holding the cylinder onto the transmission (keep pressure on it cuz its spring loaded). Now when you open it, look inside and see if there is any crud or crap in there. With the amount of yrs its been sitting, id presume so. Either clean it REAL WELL, or go and get another one. If you clean it, you have to make sure there is no crap in any of the pits or holes. They get really small. Now after you solve the cylinder problem, then you should be getting fluid into the transmission, FINALLY.

BTW, jus to let you know. Thursday on my way to school, my clutch pedal lost pressure and wouldnt grab onto any gears. So I figured it was the same problem and ordered myself a slave cylinder . SHould come in today . Weird how it happens as im helping someone else with it .

Good luck

FIXED-I was looking at master cylinder and I had a flashback of a caliper repair on my 318ti. I could not get fluid to caliper, until I finally realized that the GREEN filter in the MC was not filling the resevoir quickly enough and I was bleeding the brakes with the reservoir being empty. So I studied the master cylinder-SAS the brakes and the clutch are partioned. The clutch side is empty, and it only gets filled from the very top a divider wall. So I kept filling MC over max. line until clutch side had fluid. My wife just helped me bleed clutch-WE KNOW HAVE PRESSURE, we know have CLUTCH-THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I could not have done it without YOU-THANKS AGAIN-Bernie
Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E36 M3 3.2L
This is so bad.

Dude My clutch wont' go in gear, Please help and comment back if you get this. I changed;Clutch master cylinder, Clutch slave master, Brake Master Cylinder, Bleeded until no bubbles came out, but still wont' go in gear. I mean i know the pressure from the resivor isn't strong enough. Cause when i put a synge in the clutch line and pressurize it, the clutch engages in gear(with engine on). Please help, I'm all out of ideas dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbiii View Post
Hey,

Work was a nightmare all week, just got around to bleeding clutch this morning. Topped off master cylinder, cracked bleeder valve wide open, nothing coming out. Retightened pumped for 3 minutes-No pressure, cracked bleeder again. still no fluid, topped off, pumped, cracked valve 3 more times, nothing coming out-Any ideas? Do I need to start car to get brake booster helping? Keep trying same way? Pressure bleeder time? Sorry if these questions are stupid, 7th BMW only 2nd manual transmission. M3 has not had any clutch issues yet KOW. Only positive sign is MC level goes down every time I pump-must be displacing some air. -Thanks AGAIN Bernie

Wow, thats really weird. Only time that happened to me was when my slave cylinder was clogged like hell. What we did was take off the clutch hose that connects to the slave cylinder. First see if any fluid is going THAT far. maybe give a good pump or two (or maybe a couple) and see if any fluid goes through. If fluid goes through the hoses, GOOD . Now that would probably mean that the slave cylinder is the one holding you back. Take those two bolts holding the cylinder onto the transmission (keep pressure on it cuz its spring loaded). Now when you open it, look inside and see if there is any crud or crap in there. With the amount of yrs its been sitting, id presume so. Either clean it REAL WELL, or go and get another one. If you clean it, you have to make sure there is no crap in any of the pits or holes. They get really small. Now after you solve the cylinder problem, then you should be getting fluid into the transmission, FINALLY.

BTW, jus to let you know. Thursday on my way to school, my clutch pedal lost pressure and wouldnt grab onto any gears. So I figured it was the same problem and ordered myself a slave cylinder . SHould come in today . Weird how it happens as im helping someone else with it .

Good luck

FIXED-I was looking at master cylinder and I had a flashback of a caliper repair on my 318ti. I could not get fluid to caliper, until I finally realized that the GREEN filter in the MC was not filling the resevoir quickly enough and I was bleeding the brakes with the reservoir being empty. So I studied the master cylinder-SAS the brakes and the clutch are partioned. The clutch side is empty, and it only gets filled from the very top a divider wall. So I kept filling MC over max. line until clutch side had fluid. My wife just helped me bleed clutch-WE KNOW HAVE PRESSURE, we know have CLUTCH-THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP, I could not have done it without YOU-THANKS AGAIN-Bernie