Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330iZHP
330i ZHP thump while shifting ???

Has anyone noticed a somewhat loud thump while shifting a 330i ZHP ??

It occurs during typical shifts and sounds like it's eminating from the rear of the car. Not sure if it's a general 330i problem or something related to the ZHP ... my principal theory is that it's a backpressure issue with the ZHP exhaust.

Any similar experiences or ideas ?

Note that the car works great and the shifting dynamics are excellent ... just slightly noisy.

Cheers
Ads by Google
Old 09-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 06 EZGO TXT, chipped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djovanovi
Has anyone noticed a somewhat loud thump while shifting a 330i ZHP ??

It occurs during typical shifts and sounds like it's eminating from the rear of the car. Not sure if it's a general 330i problem or something related to the ZHP ... my principal theory is that it's a backpressure issue with the ZHP exhaust.

Any similar experiences or ideas ?

Note that the car works great and the shifting dynamics are excellent ... just slightly noisy.

Cheers
This happens to me when I don't rev match that well. The sure fire way to get around it is to completely get off gas, shift, then gas (doing quickly of course)...and no clunk!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:32 PM

My apologies to the board veterans but this is an apparently well-known and beaten to death problem. The consensus opinion is that it's driveline slack leading to diff movement during shifts. To my knowledge, it's never been addressed successfully by the dealer.

However, there is an interesting post on my330i which suggests it might be due to a stray signal sent from the HK speed-sensitive volume circuitry to the sub-woofer. To be honest, that's exactly what it sounds like ... a thump coming from the sub. weird. will disconnect sub and report back.

Last edited by djovanovi; 09-03-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greginaz1
This happens to me when I don't rev match that well. The sure fire way to get around it is to completely get off gas, shift, then gas (doing quickly of course)...and no clunk!
Yeah, I've noticed it can be eliminated with very deliberate shifts. However, it seems, and I'll have to double check this, that it occurs when the clutch is depressed and I shift out of gear as opposed to shifting into gear and taking up the clutch. There's just no way to avoid it if doing speed shifting ... I think.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 PM
What to do...?

Mein Auto: 128i
Yup, I've experienced the same...if I shift smoothly I don't hear it.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:46 AM
;p

Mein Auto: bike w/ ET mod
i get the thump noise in my 325ci , mostly the 1-2 shift
Old 09-04-2003, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to gtvr6
Mein Auto: '01 T-Silver 330Ci 5Spd
Noticed this on my friends M3

My friend just got a CPO 2002 M3 and he's had this "clunking" noise when he shifts sometimes. It's mostly the 1-2 shift. When he asked the dealer, they were not sure if this was a normal sound or not. My car never made the noise, but it makes sense it has something to do with the LSD.

Just out of curiousity, does the 540i (6 speed) also have an LSD?