Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 AM
tiobueno tiobueno is offline
Registered User
Location: Delaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Does the 2006 E90 have an engine temperature reading?

Does the 2006 E90 have an engine temperature reading? I can't find it any where on the onboard computer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:41 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
It does not, it only has a warning light that comes on when temperatures are critically high.

Yeah, I don't like it either. The 335s get the temp gauge instead of the fuel consumption gauge, so do all coupes and I believe all wagons. Not sure about the verts.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM
tiobueno tiobueno is offline
Registered User
Location: Delaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 60
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Thanks CWinter! That is strange......At least there is an alarm if you are about to overheat!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiobueno View Post
Thanks CWinter! That is strange......At least there is an alarm if you are about to overheat!
True, but what bothers me with the dummy light is that in most cases, you should have probably stopped a mile or so before that light went off to ensure you do not cause too much damage. A rising oil temp beyond normal is clearly an indicator that something is wrong.

I suppose their rationale is that if say you thermostat gets stuck closed, the car will overheat so quickly that both the gauge and light will alarm you about at the same time. That being said, the gauge is really only helpful if the overheating occurs slowly over a period of time or miles, giving you a chance to stop before the car overheats.

Anyway, I got over the fact that this is the first car I have that does not have a oil temp gauge. If at least it had a oil temp readout on the OBC!
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 AM
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,276
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
It does not, it only has a warning light that comes on when temperatures are critically high.

Yeah, I don't like it either. The 335s get the temp gauge instead of the fuel consumption gauge, so do all coupes and I believe all wagons. Not sure about the verts.
We have both the temp gage and the fuel consumption gage, or is this something different that's being discussed?
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
We have both the temp gage and the fuel consumption gage, or is this something different that's being discussed?
You have the temp gauge under your RPM tach and an instantaneous fuel consumption read out on your OBC digital display. You do not have both gauges, unless they scrapped the fuel gauge (how much fuel is left in the tank) on your car.

The 328 E90s get the fuel consumption (mpg) gauge under the RPM tach instead of the oil temp gauge. The fuel consumption gauge is helpful and I glance at it every once in a while but I would still prefer there to be a way to display engine oil temperature on the OBC. Clearly, the OBC is reading to oil temp in order to trigger the warning light if the car overheats, so why not give people a way to check what the last reading was?

Ah well...
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,276
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
You have the temp gauge under your RPM tach and an instantaneous fuel consumption read out on your OBC digital display. You do not have both gauges, unless they scrapped the fuel gauge (how much fuel is left in the tank) on your car.

The 328 E90s get the fuel consumption (mpg) gauge under the RPM tach instead of the oil temp gauge. The fuel consumption gauge is helpful and I glance at it every once in a while but I would still prefer there to be a way to display engine oil temperature on the OBC. Clearly, the OBC is reading to oil temp in order to trigger the warning light if the car overheats, so why not give people a way to check what the last reading was?

Ah well...
So what's the gage on the right hand side (not the speedometer) but the other one with the picture of an (ohh...) is this the oil temp?
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
jwac's Avatar
jwac jwac is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,680
Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiobueno View Post
Thanks CWinter! That is strange......At least there is an alarm if you are about to overheat!
Like cwinter said, no there is no gauge or temp readout in the OBC. There are warnings of 2 severities. The first overheat warning is an amber icon in the OBC while the critical warning is red. If you have iDrive, you'll also get a message/description on the iDrive screen.

Keep in mind that on most cars, the temperature gauge isn't really accurate. They're sort of useful for seeing when the engine has reached operating temperature, but beyond that the gauge usually just sits in the middle unless the engine is too hot.

The newer 335i's and all coupes/verts come with a (real) oil temperature gauge in place of the instant mpg gauge.
__________________
2014 335i Sedan 6MT
Estoril Blue | Black leather | Dark Burl Walnut
M Sport | Premium | Driver Assistance Plus | Technology | Dynamic Handling | Cold Weather | 19" 403M Wheels | M Sport Brakes | Harman Kardon | Rear Window Shades | Auto High Beams

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM
jwac's Avatar
jwac jwac is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,680
Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I suppose their rationale is that if say you thermostat gets stuck closed, the car will overheat so quickly that both the gauge and light will alarm you about at the same time. That being said, the gauge is really only helpful if the overheating occurs slowly over a period of time or miles, giving you a chance to stop before the car overheats.
Just saw these latest posts... since almost all the temp gauges out there are dummies, they won't show a gradual increase. Once the temp has risen above a pre-set threshold the gauge will swing over the hot section. It then becomes a "real" gauge and will continue to move into the red. Engineers have generally abandoned real gauges because consumers too often think something is wrong with their car if the temp, etc is "different than it usually is".

Theoretically the amber warning on the E90 should come on well before a critical period is reached.
__________________
2014 335i Sedan 6MT
Estoril Blue | Black leather | Dark Burl Walnut
M Sport | Premium | Driver Assistance Plus | Technology | Dynamic Handling | Cold Weather | 19" 403M Wheels | M Sport Brakes | Harman Kardon | Rear Window Shades | Auto High Beams

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwac View Post
Just saw these latest posts... since almost all the temp gauges out there are dummies, they won't show a gradual increase. Once the temp has risen above a pre-set threshold the gauge will swing over the hot section. It then becomes a "real" gauge and will continue to move into the red. Engineers have generally abandoned real gauges because consumers too often think something is wrong with their car if the temp, etc is "different than it usually is".

Theoretically the amber warning on the E90 should come on well before a critical period is reached.
Good info, thanks!

I am glad they have a two stage warning process, I vaguely remember reading that in the manual.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
So what's the gage on the right hand side (not the speedometer) but the other one with the picture of an (ohh...) is this the oil temp?
On all coupes and 335s you show the amount of fuel left in the gas tank on the left and the engine oil temperature on the right.

On the E90 328s you show the fuel left in the gas tank on the left and the instantaneous fuel consumption in miles per gallon on the right.

My 328i looks like this below (even though these gauges are out of an X5 I believe)



Your 335 looks like this. Notice the different gauge under the RPM tach.

__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,276
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
On all coupes and 335s you show the amount of fuel left in the gas tank on the left and the engine oil temperature on the right.

On the E90 328s you show the fuel left in the gas tank on the left and the instantaneous fuel consumption in miles per gallon on the right.

My 328i looks like this below (even though these gauges are out of an X5 I believe)



Your 335 looks like this. Notice the different gauge under the RPM tach.

Huh, never did realize how differen't they are. SO...335s have the oil temp gage then!!
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
Huh, never did realize how differen't they are. SO...335s have the oil temp gage then!!
They are really not that different, the first picture is out of an X5 but it uses the same layout as the 328 E90s.

Anyhoo....this reminds me of tutoring algebra...I saw the light bulb pop up over your head.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,276
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Temp Gage 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
They are really not that different, the first picture is out of an X5 but it uses the same layout as the 328 E90s.

Anyhoo....this reminds me of tutoring algebra...I saw the light bulb pop up over your head.

Phew...the hamster is back to running again, he just took a little break

So in response to the OPs question, not sure about 2006, but the 2009's do have an engine temperature reading
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,332
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post

Phew...the hamster is back to running again, he just took a little break

So in response to the OPs question, not sure about 2006, but the 2009's do have an engine temperature reading
Only if it's a coupe (there was none in 06, right?) or a 335 (there was none in O6). Stop confusing the fella!

There is no gauge on the 2006 325i period.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 AM
FLA 335 FLA 335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Miami Fl
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 177
Send a message via AIM to FLA 335
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Sedan
lol.
__________________
2009 BMW 335i Sedan / Auto / Paddles / Sport / BMW Assist / Heated seats / Tischer First Aid Kit w\Triangle / Tischer Hood Pad

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Vamshi Vamshi is offline
Vamshi
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 118
Mein Auto: 325i JetB/prem/sports/xen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Only if it's a coupe (there was none in 06, right?) or a 335 (there was none in O6). Stop confusing the fella!

There is no gauge on the 2006 325i period.
yep!.....there is no oil temp gauge in 2006 325i......it has mpg.....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiobueno View Post
Does the 2006 E90 have an engine temperature reading? I can't find it any where on the onboard computer.

Thanks!
Both the coolant temperature and the oil temperature can be accessed by the on-board computer if you put the dash into diagnostic mode.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Calif65GM's Avatar
Calif65GM Calif65GM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,072
Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamshi View Post
yep!.....there is no oil temp gauge in 2006 325i......it has mpg.....
+1; no MY 06s e9x have an oil temp gauge
__________________
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM
mapezzul's Avatar
mapezzul mapezzul is offline
Special Agent
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,683
Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
The reason there is no temp gauge on the N52 engine is that it has several different operating temperature ranges- it is hard to explain but the thermostat and ecu work together to have the vehicle in a certain range, for start up, performance, efficiency and a few added cycles for variation in fuel and altitude.

The fluctuation of a true gauge would make the driver think there was a problem when in fact there wasn't- since most never open the manual to learn such things.

These temp ranges help BMW get the most efficiency, performance and lower emissions.

These modern engines are amazing.

-M
__________________
2008 ///M3 Sedan. Jerez Black, Black Novillo/Sycamore, ZTP, ZPP, ZCW, iPod, Enhanced Premium Sound, 6 spd.
2008 328Xi ED 9/25/08 (Hers) White, Beige, ZCW, Xenon, Step.
2007 530XIT ED 3/22/07. Mystic Blue, Auburn, 6 spd Manual, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, Nav, PDC.
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,034
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Like others said, the coolant temp will vary and is controlled by the DME. Most coolant gauges thesedays are buffered anyways for reasons mentioned above.

The only way to see the coolant temp is thru the diagnostic menu:



Nominal temperatures range from 92-107C.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
invariant's Avatar
invariant invariant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 651
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Like others said, the coolant temp will vary and is controlled by the DME. Most coolant gauges thesedays are buffered anyways for reasons mentioned above.

The only way to see the coolant temp is thru the diagnostic menu:

Nominal temperatures range from 92-107C.
How do you access the diagnostic menu?
__________________
2008 E90 335i 6MT + SSK + CDV-delete / ZSP / aluminum / black leather / Conti DW + compact spare / integrated portable nav plus
2005 E83 X3 Auto
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
AzNMpower32's Avatar
AzNMpower32 AzNMpower32 is offline
Tar Heel Faithful
Location: WNC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,034
Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by invariant View Post
How do you access the diagnostic menu?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...uter_Functions

Since the newer BMWs don't use a key, one would push/hold the trip reset button while inserting the keyfob. The lock code for the E9x is the sum of the last 5 digits of the VIN.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Lenaxia Lenaxia is offline
Registered User
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
I am thinking about installing these into my '06 330xi.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295605

It fits right into the ashtray and they should have a color that matches your interior.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-09-2009, 02:39 PM
invariant's Avatar
invariant invariant is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 651
Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...uter_Functions

Since the newer BMWs don't use a key, one would push/hold the trip reset button while inserting the keyfob. The lock code for the E9x is the sum of the last 5 digits of the VIN.
So, once unlocked, will it lock again after you turn the engine off, or will it stay unlocked? I mean, is there any way to keep water temperature as a constant item on the menu list?
__________________
2008 E90 335i 6MT + SSK + CDV-delete / ZSP / aluminum / black leather / Conti DW + compact spare / integrated portable nav plus
2005 E83 X3 Auto
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms