Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 e36 convertible
"hi-end" stereo upgrade E36 conv.

my 94' 325i conv. complete stereo install. The car was stripped down then I put Dynamat in. This install was a 08' & 09' winter project. I took my time and while doing it I went thru many changes. I built a false floor amp rack in the trunk with a locking top lid that you can open up to look at the wiring inside the amp rack. All new wiring thru the doors and everywhere else. This is what I put in

HU: JVC AVX77 single din 5.4in. touch screen

Focal 165KRX2 6.5" components front stage
Focal 130KP 5 1/4 components rear fill
Focal 27KX 11" sub thru ski pass
Alpine PDX 4.150 4ch. amp
Alpine PDX 1.600 mono amp
JVC HD/300 Radio Reciever add on
KS-U30 USB Video Cable for iPod/iPhone
Dynamat
Streetwire ZN9 interconnects
Monster 304 XLN Speaker Cable (4-Conductor)

It took alot of customizing to get the Focal 27KX sub in the trunk under the convertible top neg. room to work with installed behind the ski-pass so the bass goes into the cabin. Getting the 11" sub in there was a complete night-mare. Double Dynamat the speakers, made 1/2in. MDF rings behind speakers filled every hole and crack I could find behind the speakers to make it air tight & stuffed poly-fil. The false floor amp rack has 2 neon lights inside they each have a switch on top of the rack to turn on and off hooked up directly to batt. Put a big fan between the 2 amps to keep them nice and cool. 1/4in. Plexi-Glass windows for all the components. HD Radio installed under dash. Yellow Top DEEP CYCLE/STARTER dual batt. system sounds crystal clear with absolutely zero rattle anywhere. 1st car stereo install. 95% done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv..jpg
Views:	493
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	200786   Click image for larger version

Name:	top of amp rack.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	200787   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp rack.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	200788   Click image for larger version

Name:	amp rack wiring.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	200789   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC AVX77.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	200790  

Name:	Focal 27KX.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	200791  

Last edited by shredspillers; 09-09-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 92 325i 4dr
Wow looks awesome i was thinking of the trunk layout like that untill i started wiring everything lol. Just to do a simple clean install it took me hours more of what a honda would take .. theese cars are put together very well even harder to take apart.. I give you lots of props on that clean install im jeolous.. I was thinking of the 5.25 focal's for the front you really like them?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
wow....... Beautiful setup

Now start with your front end . Plz get new headlights. plz

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
That looks great! I wanna do something like that to mine, just haven't decided on a setup yet.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318is
Monster cable ftw and the focal equipment is as you described "high-end".
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM

yes the Focal 130KP sounded so good. I was telling myself god how can it sound any better than that? But I always wanted the 6 1/2in. it just adds a little more to the sound more lows and mids esp. with the Focal KRX2 thay are very nice sounding speakers and the TN53K tweeters are much smoother then TN52 tweeters. But the 130kp 5 1/4in. component set is still awesome. I was a little nervous cutting out the kick panels But it turned out really nice. I originally was going to get the Focal KRX3 3 way components but after alot of researching I went with the KRX2 instead. Sometimes I wish I would've got the KRX3 hahaha.
Butyou know the really scary thing was going into the garage and seeing your BMW gutted down to nothing everything stripped out, it was a kinda overwhelming for sure. Especialy since this was my 1st install. I've always worked on all my cars growing up. And when I went to Car Toys and they said they wanted over $1,000 to install my stuff I said wow maybe I will just do it myself. So I did all the work myself without any help from friends. And when ever I had any questions I went to an Australian car audio site those guys are awesome mobileelectronics.com.au
Heres a few pics of the difference in the size of the 130kp and the 165krx2 I wasnt even sure that the KRX2 was going to fit its alot bigger
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	165KRX2 & 130KP mids.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	200826   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1371.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	200827   Click image for larger version

Name:	TN53K without grill.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	200828   Click image for larger version

Name:	TN53K WITH GRILL.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	200829  
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW e36? View Post
I couldnt find anything better than the Monster speaker wire at the time so I went with it.

Focal KRX2 is 1 step down from the Focal Utopia Be 6" components and they go for $4,000. for me the KRX2 are just fine.
But anyways you can have a $10,000 system and a $1,000 system could sound better than the $10,000 it all depends on how you install it! Installation is key. yes there are louder and cheaper speakers but Focal is all about sound quality
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
cool setup!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:50 AM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
That's impressive. Wanna do mine next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmy_bimmer View Post
Oh your talking about THAT hole.. yeah thats an inspection hole
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredspillers View Post
I couldnt find anything better than the Monster speaker wire at the time so I went with it.

Focal KRX2 is 1 step down from the Focal Utopia Be 6" components and they go for $4,000. for me the KRX2 are just fine.
But anyways you can have a $10,000 system and a $1,000 system could sound better than the $10,000 it all depends on how you install it! Installation is key. yes there are louder and cheaper speakers but Focal is all about sound quality
I think focal setup's are the best sounding vocally (no pun intended) systems i have heard. You can't even touch one of there subs for less then $500 and it's worth every penny.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
FixItFaster

Mein Auto: EuroS50B30, e83m54b30
Quote:
my 94' 325i conv. complete stereo install. The car was stripped down then I put Dynamat in. This install was a 08' & 09' winter project. I took my time and while doing it I went thru many changes. I built a false floor amp rack in the trunk with a locking top lid that you can open up to look at the wiring inside the amp rack. All new wiring thru the doors and everywhere else. This is what I put in

HU: JVC AVX77 single din 5.4in. touch screen

Focal 165KRX2 6.5" components front stage
Focal 130KP 5 1/4 components rear fill
Focal 27KX 11" sub thru ski pass
Alpine PDX 4.150 4ch. amp
Alpine PDX 1.600 mono amp
JVC HD/300 Radio Reciever add on
KS-U30 USB Video Cable for iPod/iPhone
Dynamat
Streetwire ZN9 interconnects
Monster 304 XLN Speaker Cable (4-Conductor)

It took alot of customizing to get the Focal 27KX sub in the trunk under the convertible top neg. room to work with installed behind the ski-pass so the bass goes into the cabin. Getting the 11" sub in there was a complete night-mare. Double Dynamat the speakers, made 1/2in. MDF rings behind speakers filled every hole and crack I could find behind the speakers to make it air tight & stuffed poly-fil. The false floor amp rack has 2 neon lights inside they each have a switch on top of the rack to turn on and off hooked up directly to batt. Put a big fan between the 2 amps to keep them nice and cool. 1/4in. Plexi-Glass windows for all the components. HD Radio installed under dash. Yellow Top DEEP CYCLE/STARTER dual batt. system sounds crystal clear with absolutely zero rattle anywhere. 1st car stereo install. 95% done
Very nice setup! How much weight did you add to your car once everything was installed??? Also I hope you cover up that sub with the ski pass cover, you wouldn't want anyone knowing what you got in there with a convertable thats for sure.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
yes the Focal 130KP sounded so good. I was telling myself god how can it sound any better than that? But I always wanted the 6 1/2in. it just adds a little more to the sound more lows and mids esp. with the Focal KRX2 thay are very nice sounding speakers and the TN53K tweeters are much smoother then TN52 tweeters. But the 130kp 5 1/4in. component set is still awesome. I was a little nervous cutting out the kick panels But it turned out really nice. I originally was going to get the Focal KRX3 3 way components but after alot of researching I went with the KRX2 instead. Sometimes I wish I would've got the KRX3 hahaha.
Butyou know the really scary thing was going into the garage and seeing your BMW gutted down to nothing everything stripped out, it was a kinda overwhelming for sure. Especialy since this was my 1st install. I've always worked on all my cars growing up. And when I went to Car Toys and they said they wanted over $1,000 to install my stuff I said wow maybe I will just do it myself. So I did all the work myself without any help from friends. And when ever I had any questions I went to an Australian car audio site those guys are awesome mobileelectronics.com.au
Heres a few pics of the difference in the size of the 130kp and the 165krx2 I wasnt even sure that the KRX2 was going to fit its alot bigger
WOW - looks great. Thanks for the link to the audio shop. They are also in Melbourne, so I will give them some business. Glad to know of a really good audio shop.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
First of all, i want to congratulate you on your mad skillz, i cant believe this is your fist install..no way.

Now to the point, you have very nice equipment minus the amps and hu, so i think u should take more advantage of your speaker by going active with a good sound processor (hint bitone). SQ is about Staging and Imagine, both of which you destroying by having rear speakers, should have used that money better. Although at the end, it all about what you like.. so

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW e36? View Post
If you like to wasted your monnies on over priced copper, sure Monster cable its the way to go, other wise any speaker cable would do.
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping
Old 09-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Milne View Post
Very nice setup! How much weight did you add to your car once everything was installed??? Also I hope you cover up that sub with the ski pass cover, you wouldn't want anyone knowing what you got in there with a convertable thats for sure.
The car is in the garage most of the time but its hard to stay out of it with the new system installed. I'm not really sure how much weight everything was. I used 1/2" MDF to make the amp rack and sub box. It is a little heavy though I'm actually thinking about redesigning the whole thing and make the sub box all the way across under the conv. top. I had to cut 1/2 of the top and 1/2 of the bottom of the outer ring on the 27KX sub just to get it to fit underneath. There is a 10'5/8" clearance and the sub was like 10'.5" or something like that cant remember what it was but it wasnt easy getting it in there with a sub box. Here's a few pic's of the sub in the box. This box had to be kicked in with my foot to get it in under the corv. top. In the pic you can see that the top and bottom outer edge was bigger than the box so I had to do what I had to do to get it in there. So I cut a little off the top and bottom just enough to get it in there. I don't buy my speakers off ebay I only buy from local Focal's authorized dealers. yea cutting into a new $1,000 27KX was a little scary. ebay has alot of fake Focal speakers with no warranty and no serial number card. crutchfield.com is now an online authorized dealer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Focal 27KX sub box.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	200962   Click image for larger version

Name:	cut 27KX.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	200963   Click image for larger version

Name:	back 27KX.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	200964  

Last edited by shredspillers; 09-10-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyvek View Post
First of all, i want to congratulate you on your mad skillz, i cant believe this is your fist install..no way.

Now to the point, you have very nice equipment minus the amps and hu, so i think u should take more advantage of your speaker by going active with a good sound processor (hint bitone). SQ is about Staging and Imagine, both of which you destroying by having rear speakers, should have used that money better. Although at the end, it all about what you like.. so

If you like to wasted your monnies on over priced copper, sure Monster cable its the way to go, other wise any speaker cable would do.

thanks for the compliment yes its my 1st install I've never even installed a deck before this.
I only used the Alpine digital PDX amps for the space and efficiency. If you talk to some of the audio pros they say they are pretty good amps. I would like to try some sound processors very soon. Its on the list. I'm a musician lead guitar 25yrs I have an ear for good quality sound and a processor would be awesome.
Have you checked out the JVC AVX77 HU? All the HU's I tried and looked at didnt have all the features that the JVC AVX77 has. mobile.jvc.com/index.jsp All the other top end single din HU's were alot slower using iphone/ipod connections very fast tranfer speeds. And some of them didnt even play cd's. But everyone has their own thing!! In the past I've always gone with Alpine or Pioneer. But I really like this HU. The touch screen is awesome and I'm not losing any gauges with a single din setup.

What are some good processors out now?

Last edited by shredspillers; 09-10-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
bswftw
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: S FITTY BItty!
Nice set up!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipwot View Post
bswftw
+1

The work is impressive, but to me, sound setups are more about the actual sound, and not neon lights and exposed hardware...

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active

Last edited by SCANDINAVIAN13; 09-10-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to andreialta Send a message via Yahoo to andreialta Send a message via Skype™ to andreialta
Mein Auto: BMW 325is
siiick. and x2 on the headlights.

Bone Stock 1992 325is but LOVE it still
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCANDINAVIAN13 View Post
+1

The work is impressive, but to me, sound setups are more about the actual sound, and not neon lights and exposed hardware...
Exactly. If you get in my car and look around, you wouldnt even know I had aftermarket audio at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
Exactly. If you get in my car and look around, you wouldnt even know I had aftermarket audio at all.

Lets see what you got in there guys!!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 AM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
Quote:
+1

but i am also running focal's...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:17 AM
vek-mw

Quote:
And if i listen to it, i also wouldnt know that you have aftermarket stuff either.
Landscaping
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
^

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 AM
vek-mw

Quote:
thanks for the compliment yes its my 1st install I've never even installed a deck before this.
I only used the Alpine digital PDX amps for the space and efficiency. If you talk to some of the audio pros they say they are pretty good amps. I would like to try some sound processors very soon. Its on the list. I'm a musician lead guitar 25yrs I have an ear for good quality sound and a processor would be awesome.
Have you checked out the JVC AVX77 HU? All the HU's I tried and looked at didnt have all the features that the JVC AVX77 has. mobile.jvc.com/index.jsp All the other top end single din HU's were alot slower using iphone/ipod connections very fast tranfer speeds. And some of them didnt even play cd's. But everyone has their own thing!! In the past I've always gone with Alpine or Pioneer. But I really like this HU. The touch screen is awesome and I'm not losing any gauges with a single din setup.

What are some good processors out now?
If by audio pros you meant authorize alpine dealers (or salesperson), sure they will tell you how awesome these amps are, on the other hand, if you do some research you will find out how noisy these amps are.

There are a couple of good sound processors out, i personally am running Zapco DC amps, but if it was me, i would get me BitOne, i being meaning to play around with one for a couple of months now but first i need to buy new comps!! going with HAT Midbasses this time around and seas neo tweeters,.
Landscaping