Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Post X3 Competitors, At A Glance

Tiguan
X1
LR2
GLK
X3
RDX
RAV4
Q5
XC60
EX35
RX
Cayenne
ML
Murano
SRX
X5
Tribeca
MDX

This table is sorted by vehicle length, the to be released new X1 and X3 are highlighted in yellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x3competitors.png
Views:	1765
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	201021  
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Looks like I will be in luck as long as they make the 2011 X3 in a MT. The end of 2011-12 will be when my vehicle hits the end of warranty of my current 08/

It also appears that the X3 will have the added "hutzpah" I have been trying to get.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Thanks, great list! I suspect that the "class leading" hp of the new X3 will be surpassed by several of the others when they come outthat usually seems to be the case. When one jumps the rest, others who can "tune up" do so quickly.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
When doing this kind of exercise, I usually add things like Horsepower / Lb of weight or Torque / Lb of weight. Also, you need a Y/N column for Manual Transmission. That, to me, is the deal breaker.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Why do folks group cars like the Tribeca, Rav4, and CRV into the same market as the X3, Q5 and Volvo XC60? As much as I'm not a fan of BMW's "premium market" strategy, I think consumers aren't necesarily cross-shopping all those cars.

Would you compare the BMW X5 with a GMC Acadia?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Why do folks group cars like the Tribeca, Rav4, and CRV into the same market as the X3, Q5 and Volvo XC60? As much as I'm not a fan of BMW's "premium market" strategy, I think consumers aren't necesarily cross-shopping all those cars.

Would you compare the BMW X5 with a GMC Acadia?

Azn,

I explore all options in a class. Kind of like women (ducks head) before I was married.

Actually, I shopped all the classes involved except for the X1 and the Q5 (which wasn't around to my knowledge).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 09-11-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
I would exclude the X5, cayenne. and ML -- theyre just too big and if youre going to include them why not include the T-reg and the Q7? Hey the Suburban is an SUV, lets include that!. Tribeca? surely you jest -- thats a minivan cloaked to look like an suv. Should we include the caravan, odyssey and sienna?

Real competition is RDX, Tiguan, Q5, XC60, GLK, Forester is almost identical in size on the road too, tho it is a notch down-market along with RAV, CRX,Murano.

The EX35-- is quite small in person and also suffers in the ground clearsance dept, , the LR2 is an unrefined pig and the Lexus is so numb/isolated that I really dont think drivers of one cross-shop the other. The real comp is from the top 5 listed above. And the only one that comes with a stick in the US other than the X3 (for now) is the Forester -- but only in base trim. Upscale models get you a fancy 4speed tranny --just like my 79 camaro (mine was a stick tho) which is a fail for me.

So if you want a small suv with a stick and more than 175hp you have a lot of vehicles to choose from -- as long as you want an x3. You can get a black one, silver, red, green, white, grey. See lots of choices
Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Its all in the "cute ute" category and folks do cross shop a lot more than one would think. I just wish the offerings we have now were available when I bought my X3.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-11-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 PM

I always thought people were cross-dressing a lot more than they let on. but not sure how this relates to looking for a cute-ute
Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
I always thought people were cross-dressing a lot more than they let on. but not sure how this relates to looking for a cute-ute
You found us out...Just got my new kilt for Renn Faire.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Some of us cross shopped across everything

Yes, while it isn't in the same market or the same style or even in the same zip code, some of us did go shopping in the Toyota lot and test drove the latest top of the line Prius with the solar roof and the uber efficient electric mode option...and went screaming out of the parking lot.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Squashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Its all in the "cute ute" category and folks do cross shop a lot more than one would think. I just wish the offerings we have now were available when I bought my X3.
Since I just bought my super bouncy X3, I did look at everything and tried everything more than once. If they hadn't squashed the RX and hadn't made it look like a Toyota with loads of expensive options added in, I might have gone that way.

I like the boxy rear of the X3 which, I think, might be going away in the next generation. I don't know but it looks like it will be more curvy like the Q5 or the Infiniti and the RX. I find that claustrophobic myself and would have bought a jeep if I wasn't concerned about reliability and the future of the company.

The Q5 gets great reviews but it feels small inside and is more sedan than SUV....which is probably one reason it gets good reviews as it rides more smoothly. It does have some cool technology and some really weird humongous side mirrors. It will be good competition for BMW as Audi is gaining market share in the US.

When we are back in the market for a new car in about 5 years (1 year after the warranty runs out and every fix is $1K) I think the selection will be outstanding.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
So if you want a small suv with a stick and more than 175hp you have a lot of vehicles to choose from -- as long as you want an x3. You can get a black one, silver, red, green, white, grey. See lots of choices
Actually, for sake of completeness, I found one more when I was comparison shopping: the Hyundai Santa Fe GLS. Good sized V-6 and 5 speed MT, close to the size of an X3. I test drove it. Handling and ride was terrible, couldn't recommend it, but it does match these criteria.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Don't forget the base Cayenne, 295 hp, a slick 6 speed M/T and about the same price as a loaded up X3. Spoke, did you drive the '10 Santa Fe? It is supposed to have much better handling and ride than the previous versions..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:50 AM

the 6sp in the cayenne is disastrous -- slick? Go drive one. Its only slick if your other car is a ups truck. Oh and the car weighs 4800 lbs. Nothin cute about that
Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Spoke, did you drive the '10 Santa Fe? It is supposed to have much better handling and ride than the previous versions..
No, I drove an older model, think it was an '06 or '07. Got seasick on the freeway with all the rocking.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM

cubed, the one I drove was as slick as any BMW box I have ever used. The weight fits right between the X5 and X3, as does the price. I was very impressed with the car and if it were on offer when I got my X3 I would have gotten one. However the base version in '06 was a pig (sorry Porsche, but it was). If you haven't driven an '09 then you will have a surprise.
Spoke, the SF was SO bad they had to do something about the handling and according to the buff books vast improvements wee made. Who knows, but I think I will drive one just for kicks.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
cubed, the one I drove was as slick as any BMW box I have ever used. The weight fits right between the X5 and X3, as does the price. I was very impressed with the car and if it were on offer when I got my X3 I would have gotten one. However the base version in '06 was a pig (sorry Porsche, but it was). If you haven't driven an '09 then you will have a surprise.
Spoke, the SF was SO bad they had to do something about the handling and according to the buff books vast improvements wee made. Who knows, but I think I will drive one just for kicks.
I'll be curious what you find out about the Santa Fe.

In my test drives to my surprise the one that came in 2nd place to the X3 in my personal rankings was the Subaru Forester. You might want to try it too. Same size as X3 with many of the same features as far as shifting power front/rear and stability control. Underpowered with base 4 cylinders, but turbo version is available. I thought it rode smoothly on all surfaces, but you'll obviously want to check that out yourself. I didn't get it because I wanted a MT which was not available with the turbo, and the base engine was underpowered.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Spoke, interesting you mention the Forester as it was on my new short list. In Japan they actually have a Forester WRXsti with a super hot 4 banger, manual, and brembo brakes among all the other bits. Needless to say we will never see one here, although I would bet there are Subie tuners out there who can get all the parts and put one together. That one would probably ride even worse than the X3. I am going to try the Subie, and a bunch more just to prove to myself that I am not missing anything. I even want to look at the new GMC Terrain.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 platinum bronze x3
I am making the switch to an XC60 T6 in November. Will report back with comparisons to the '07 X3 that I just turned in from 2-yr lease. The X3 was the best car I've ever owned, but dealer was not willing to offer a fair price to buy the thing. I didn't want to take a chance with a CPO 07 for less $ - too much chance of getting one with the AT issue (mine was well-behaved 98% of the time), and family not interested in manual.

I Looked at some of the others on the great list X3ML compiled. I narrowed it down to the ones that were most similar to the X3 in performance, handling, size, and that appealed visually to me (a subjective element that figures strongly in my choices). Some just couldn't come close in features, design, finishes, price/value, etc..

Whittled it down to Q5, X3, RX350, XC60

Q5:
Very nice, but not enough rear headroom, a bit more $$, didn't like the attitude of the two Audi dealers where I test-drove. They know they have a hot-seller and are behaving like it. They also were offering mis-information about the X3 and XC60. Stupid move on their part - they should recognize when a buyer has obviously done their research (I told them I did), and not spew a bunch of b.s. about the competitors. They turned me off to the brand for now.

X3:
Would prefer the '11 revamp, but can't wait that long, and the '10 is too much $$ now. Still a really nice vehicle, although interior is looking outdated. Was just ready for a change I guess, and looking for more value with roughly same driving performance. Wife will miss it more than I do. Maybe in 5 or 6 years....

RX350:
Eliminated almost immediately. Figured I wouldn't like the soft ride - and I didn't. Look and feel of interior controls is too fussy, overdone (hard to describe). Not even sure why it was on my "short list".

XC60:
The base T6 had many of the features that I wanted, and the add-on packages had the right combinations that fit my list (too bad no one but BMW has the heated steering wheel - I'm going to miss that!), and the exterior and interior design fit my tastes. Acceleration is great (turbo version of engine), cornering just a bit softer than X3, from what I could tell on the test drives, but slightly more dampening of rough road surface and sound is a welcome addition. Looks much more interesting than the "boxy" look that people think of when they think Volvo. Couldn't talk my family into the seaweed-green exterior though. Dealer was willing to negotiate $, even though the model is fairly scarce... had to order one. Using bicycle for two months until it gets here... I guess I'll love ANY car after going two months without one ! Rented a RAV-4 for a trip last week - UHGGHH!

Will check back in mid-November when I've driven the Volvo for a couple of weeks.

Last edited by jmatz; 09-20-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 AM

jm, looking forward to your comments. I am thinking of an XC60 as well, perhaps even an ED Will be interested in your impressions.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2007 3.0si AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatz View Post
I am making the switch to an XC60 T6 in November...
JM, looks like we "independently" came to the same conclusion!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 platinum bronze x3
Quote:
jm, looking forward to your comments. I am thinking of an XC60 as well, perhaps even an ED Will be interested in your impressions.
UJ, I liked the ED plan but have a high-schooler and couldn't just leave him at home! The free airfare and one night hotel even made it sound like a fun 3-day weekend, but couldn't convince myself or wife. Maybe ED for the next one.

I still can see another BMW in my future, and will be still participating in this board occasionally. I just don't seem to be very brand-loyal (have owned, in order, toyota, honda, jeep, ford, bmw, volvo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ml View Post
JM, looks like we "independently" came to the same conclusion!
x3ml, I guess they will allow me to keep posting here, as long as it's to compare the real-world plus/minus impressions I'm still quite pro-BMW, just not for right now.

Last edited by jmatz; 09-22-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.5i M-Spt, VW GTI
Nice Post

My lease is coming up on my 535xi and I have been looking at the same vehicles. I had two 5 series in a row, and want a change as well as more cargo space. For me, the X3 is not a contender. While I enjoy it when I get it as a service loaner, it's showing its age. I was hoping the new X1 would arrive before the new X3, but that's not the case unfortunately.

My short-list is the Audi Q5 and Volvo XC60. I view them very similarly and I am having a tough time deciding between the two. I am leaning towards the Q5, though, finding it a bit more refined. The interior is also a step-up from the Volvo. In terms of the XC60, I like the turbo's performance as well as the exterior styling. It looks different than everything else in the class. In terms of dislikes, I wish the steering was a bit firmer with better feel and the interior plastics were more similar to the Q5 or Volvo S80. In the end, though, I wish the X1 or X3 would get here sooner.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Wow just went and priced out one of the Volvo's. That is a nice vehicle.

I like their attention to form while incorporating function.

BMW better step up pretty quickly. I hope the 2011 has more to offer than just engine performance.

That is when I start shopping again.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7