Some service advisers are so full of it... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Some service advisers are so full of it...

I brought my car in for a scheduled maintenance and just heard a service adviser telling a customer over the phone that her car's problem with excessive battery drain was caused by short trips and partially by... using an unapproved bluetooth cell phone! "Well, you know, if it is not a BMW approved phone, it may cause all kinds of electrical problems, including increased power drain"

What's next? Using non-RFT tires may cause all kinds of electrical problems via TPMS??? What a joke.
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Wow...that's unbelieveable I guess you will always have your good SAs and your not-so-good SAs.

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's: E90 and F22
Quote:
Originally Posted by invariant View Post
I brought my car in for a scheduled maintenance and just heard a service adviser telling a customer over the phone that her car's problem with excessive battery drain was caused by short trips and partially by... using an unapproved bluetooth cell phone! "Well, you know, if it is not a BMW approved phone, it may cause all kinds of electrical problems, including increased power drain"

What's next? Using non-RFT tires may cause all kinds of electrical problems via TPMS??? What a joke.
They tried to pin the same crap on me. I had a 545i and the battery was weakening. My dealer refused to replace it when I brought it in, blaming my driving style on the weak battery. Sure enough a few days later I got stuck miles from home with a completely dead battery and after waiting close to 3 hours for the crack BMW Assist guys to come, the car was towed over 40 miles back to the dealer. Still no change in attitude. I got on the phone and called BMWNA-not only did they finally replace my battery for free, but I was permitted to choose up to $200 in items free from the BMW gift catalog-I chose 2 golf shirts and a hand bag for the wife.

The kicker was after the battery was replaced and I was about to drive off, the SA had the nerve to approach me and begged me to give him all"5"'s on the survey. I not only didnt do that, I changed dealerships and bought my 328i at a competitor BMW dealership. I am very happy now at my new BMW place.
2015 Alpine White 228i Coupe ("El Chapo") with Sport Line, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, FineLine Stream Wood Trim, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package and Track Handling Package and those wonderful non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
I don't know why you should be surprised.......there are hundreds of stories like this on this and other boards.

It is what gives auto dealers, auto sales and the auto industry in general a bad name!

It also taints the people who actually go out of their way to actually help. I recently had a problem with the rear brakes on my Durango and took it to an indy shop. They found that the brake was being hung up by some rock. They fixed the problem, cleaned my brakes and rotated my tires and charged me.....$0. I felt bad gave the guy $50 but he wanted nothing!

The problem is the way that employees are incentived to do their job. If it all based on commisions, then out goes the customer....gotta sell this gadget. If the incentive is to make and keep loyal customers, then the incentives would be different.

In a recent article NDP said that Samsung TVs are recommended by sales people 58% of the time -- why? Because they get a bigger spiff for selling a Samsung TV -- surprise! Now, their may be nothing wrong with a Samsung, but if all you care about is the commion, why do you care if their is a better product with a better fit for that consumer?

Many dealers only care about how much they can extract from your wallet!

At the same time it is depressing, given how connected we are and how much information is available, that they can still get away with that sh** is just insane!

Last edited by Pedal2Floor; 09-11-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM

When it happens to you, my best advice is to move on to a different dealership. The difference between my old one and new one is day and night. Having a good SA is so very important.
2015 Alpine White 228i Coupe ("El Chapo") with Sport Line, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, FineLine Stream Wood Trim, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package and Track Handling Package and those wonderful non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
When it happens to you, my best advice is to move on to a different dealership. The difference between my old one and new one is day and night. Having a good SA is so very important.
I bring my SA coffee

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
I bring my SA coffee
Wow! That's a bit much.

Last edited by hpowders; 09-13-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Outside looking in

Mein Auto: 2015 Mustang GT
Just this week an SA told me that he used E92 (non-sports) specs for a wheel alignment for my E90 M3 sedan. He told me that E9 was the model and the 2 was for it being an "M". After a brief tangible pause I pointed outside an said "That's an E90, that's an E92 and that is an E93" (there were no E91s). I was flabbergasted that the SA didn't know model numbers.

I am getting a refund and taking it to another dealer. This mucks up my weekend.
My Little Pony
Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: '15 328xdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated335 View Post
Just this week an SA told me that he used E92 (non-sports) specs for a wheel alignment for my E90 M3 sedan. He told me that E9 was the model and the 2 was for it being an "M". After a brief tangible pause I pointed outside an said "That's an E90, that's an E92 and that is an E93" (there were no E91s). I was flabbergasted that the SA didn't know model numbers.

I am getting a refund and taking it to another dealer. This mucks up my weekend.
Now that would have me concerned.

Fortunately the dealership I bring my car to has great SAs. Couldn't be happier.
2015 328dxt (F31) current
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 325
Not that I'm taking the SA side ... but it is actually possible to slowly drain your battery to death if you ONLY take small drives ... the short drives wouldn't have the time to replenish the battery against all the sitting/off time.

These cars draw a fair bit of current when parked I do believe ... the showroom cars often need to be be recharged up with trickle charger ... for this reason.

jls.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM

If you live in or near a big city at least you can change dealers. I had a choice of 3 other dealers. I feel like I finally chose the right one. If it was a small town I probably would have given up on BMW and changed brands.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
A happy customer is a repeat customer. Treating an existing customer like a half-wit dumbass is a sure way to guarantee they never come back for service or a car.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
SAs are sales people. Some glorify them and try to hold them to a higher standard but they are sales people. They are judged by how much they sell. Hence, they will try to sell you things.

Quite a few are very trustworthy and honest. Quite a few know their stuff very well. But enough are just sales people. Perhaps last they sold mens clothing at Macy's. Now they are selling you services a computer pops up on their screen to sell you.

Why are we still surprised?

That being said, unless I find a good SA at my dealership I sure the hell will take it somewhere else until I find a good SA.

I still believe these stories are the vast minority and do not accurately reflect on the general SAs capabilities and level of knowledge and honesty with a customer.

That being said, I lol'ed.

Xrated, had you told the guy you have a V8 modded 328i he prolly would have believed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsbimmer View Post
Not that I'm taking the SA side ... but it is actually possible to slowly drain your battery to death if you ONLY take small drives ... the short drives wouldn't have the time to replenish the battery against all the sitting/off time.

These cars draw a fair bit of current when parked I do believe ... the showroom cars often need to be be recharged up with trickle charger ... for this reason.

jls.
I understand the short trips argument. My whole point was about an unapproved cell phone that can increase power drain.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: '15 328xdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
SAs are sales people. Some glorify them and try to hold them to a higher standard but they are sales people. They are judged by how much they sell. Hence, they will try to sell you things.
I've never had a SA try and sell me something.
2015 328dxt (F31) current
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
That was my point of saying that this story does not accurately reflect the average SA.

I have had a few SAs try to sell me stuff at Infiniti. I smile and say "No thank you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
That was my point of saying that this story does not accurately reflect the average SA.

I have had a few SAs try to sell me stuff at Infiniti. I smile and say "No thank you."
That's because you're not a girl. I think they "try" and take advantage of females...funny though but they tried to talk ME out of my first oil change when I wanted one. It pays to do your research ahead of time. I remember back when I had my Toyota Corolla way back in 2000, they tried to push so many things on me when it didn't need to be done.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: E93-35 May08 ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
That's because you're not a girl. I think they "try" and take advantage of females...funny though but they tried to talk ME out of my first oil change when I wanted one.
LOLing at you bring SA the coffee. They're the ones (dealer) that's suppose to be serving the coffee and donuts in the mornings.

As to the oil change, it's not only a female thing. On both of my e9X, for the early oil change, they tried to tell me "you know you don't need to change it, right?".
E93-35 ED 5/2/08 completed 16:20.
Montego/Jade Gray, Gray Poplar trim, Step w/Paddles, PP, SP, CA, Heated Seats & iPod. 24-mth lease with 19,250 mi/yr. Re-delivery 6/20/08 (1st day of summer); 7-wks total.
[/SIZE]

De-badged 330xi/Mystic Blue/Gray Leather/Alumin. trim/Auto/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seat/alarm. ED date 11/14/05 and redelivery completed 1/14/06. Sold to Carmax 6/7/08 w/ 50,650 miles on the clock

Last edited by Calif65GM; 09-11-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif65GM View Post
LOLing at you bring SA the coffee. They're the ones (dealer) that's suppose to be serving the coffee and donuts in the mornings.

As to the oil change, it's not only a female thing. On both of my e9X, for the early oil change, they tried to tell me "you know you don't need to change it, right?".
I always stop by the Starbucks and get him a caramel frappacino, its just right next door and its a nice refreshment than the standard coffees they're used to everyday You're nice to them, they'll be nice to you

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Me neither. He has actually saved me alot of money. I'm glad he's the service manager as well, so I know he won't leave any time soon. I get him lunch every time I see him (only a few times a year).

Some SA's are not so good though. When mine was on vacation, I was stuck with one who didn't know much about my extended maintenance plan.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 PM

I had an SA try and sell me a totally unnecessary wheel alignment and when I refused, it was included on the service work order copy that I received as "CUSTOMER REFUSED WHEEL ALIGNMENT".

What a bunch of lunatics!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi Coupe
Sometimes I feel so bad for clueless customers who are flat out lied to by SA's. Even worse, they're being fed misinformation which people could carry with them for life and in some cases could be used against them. What if the customer stopped using Bluetooth because they believed the SA, and got in an accident? Sure, it would still be the driver's fault 100%, but the SA's lie sure didn't help with the situation.

I've been told by several dealerships around the area "You know you don't need an oil change yet, right?" This is typically after I try explaining I want additional oil changes between the standard warranty oil changes. Not sure if they were trying to help or what...

I've also been told "It's completely normal for brakes to squeak before coming to a complete stop." lol

I also had a bad iPod cable (noticed a few weeks after I bought my car) and upon pickup the SA tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with it and couldn't duplicate the problem. I wiggled the cable while playing music and sure enough the cable was bad.

I can't think of others right now but I've definitely heard some other jacked up responses.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
I've been told by several dealerships around the area "You know you don't need an oil change yet, right?" This is typically after I try explaining I want additional oil changes between the standard warranty oil changes. Not sure if they were trying to help or what...

I've also been told "It's completely normal for brakes to squeak before coming to a complete stop." lol

I also had a bad iPod cable (noticed a few weeks after I bought my car) and upon pickup the SA tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with it and couldn't duplicate the problem. I wiggled the cable while playing music and sure enough the cable was bad.

I can't think of others right now but I've definitely heard some other jacked up responses.
1) I've actually sat through a conversation once when I dropped off my MZ4 Coupe for service, when a customer is dropping off his vehicle for an unscheduled oil change throw a fit, demanded to see the service manager since "oil changes are free." So don't be surprised to hear them ask you if you're CERTAIN you want an oil change or explain to you that you don't need one yet. It happens way too often at the dealership service departments. The general public are morons.

2) It is completely normal for brakes to squeak before coming to a complete stop, especially if the brakes aren't properly bedded in.

The reason why SAs give these generic, what sound to some of you, stupid answers, is because 99% of the time they're dealing with the uninformed general public. Regarding the original SA in this discussion, yes it is entirely possible that very short trips, starting the car just to drive 2 minutes down the road, then shutting it down, can lead to premature draining of the battery. It is also true that some MY 2006-2007 BMWs suffer from the Bluetooth module staying "hot" after the engine's been shut down and that has contributed to battery being drained...While it is not entirely due to non-BMW approved cell phones, there is a TSB out there calling for replacement of the Bluetooth control module as the leading cause of said battery problem. Maybe the SA didn't explain or word it correctly, but he/she was correct.

I suggest you guys get to know your SAs...You'll learn a lot about how the business works. They're not all idiots, and most of them are actually quite knowledgeable, but since they deal with the uninformed all day long, most of the time it's just easier to just assume the lowest common denominator.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM

They may not be idiots, but they can be unprofessional and condescending ones at that-assuming drivers are uninformed, when I may know as much about the vehicle as they do; perhaps more! They think we BMW drivers must be mentally challenged-telling me I need a wheel alignment while the car was still parked out front with no service person even attempting to place the vehicle on a lift to check it out.

If they get abuse heaped upon 'em, it is because it is well-deserved.

That's all I'm sayin'...... Word up dude!

Last edited by hpowders; 09-11-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
They may not be idiots, but they can be unprofessional and condescending ones at that-assuming drivers are uninformed, when I may know as much about the vehicle as they do; perhaps more! They think we BMW drivers must be mentally challenged-telling me I need a wheel alignment while the car was still parked out front with no service person even attempting to place the vehicle on a lift to check it out.

If they get abuse heaped upon 'em, it is because it is well-deserved.

That's all I'm sayin'...... Word up dude!

I really think it is about finding the right SA. Some of them are there just to rip you off and others are there to actually help. The thing I've noticed is every time I go to my local bmw dealership, there is never the same SA's there. There was one that I really liked that was there for about 6 months.. That's the longest I've seen one.

I also think with the economy the way it is every company is stepping up in customer service and I think SA's have gotten better at my local bmw. Probably a year ago I went into the dealership and I felt so mistreated and that they were only there to rip me off and when I went in a week ago it was the complete opposite. There the nicest people ever.

11' 335Cic Alpine White - Black Interior - Xenon - M Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

08' 535i Alpine White - Black Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

08' X5 3.0si Alpine White - Beige Interior - Sport Package - Premium Package - Navi - Current

06' 330I Sparkling Graphite - Black Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Retired

01' 330Cic Alpine White - Beige Interior - Xenon - Sport Package - Premium Package - Retired

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search