Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 81 320is
cold running is a no go

Hi all, actually first time i posted on this forum, so here it goes:

I have a 320iS 1981, 5speed. 1.8 liter. The problem is: when cold she barely runs, i have to monkey foot the break and gas while pushing in the clutch to keep her running (idle is 200- and dies out before and after gas pedal is depressed. After she warm up to; N.O.T everything is great! Air/fuel is set to 1.0 w/OS disconected. When O/S is connected A/f drops to approx .6 to .9. When warm she idles very strong at 850rpm. I have install a MSD ingnition which is not a problem.

What can i do, or what is wrong pertaining to basically no run when cold?

any help would be great, ideas, thoughts, comments....anything ......Thanks,

john

Previously I had long tube headers on her and she was PERFECT!. I had to change back to stock cuz i need to sell her
mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims
Ads by Google
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dizzel View Post
Hi all, actually first time i posted on this forum, so here it goes:

I have a 320iS 1981, 5speed. 1.8 liter. The problem is: when cold she barely runs, i have to monkey foot the break and gas while pushing in the clutch to keep her running (idle is 200- and dies out before and after gas pedal is depressed. After she warm up to; N.O.T everything is great! Air/fuel is set to 1.0 w/OS disconected. When O/S is connected A/f drops to approx .6 to .9. When warm she idles very strong at 850rpm. I have install a MSD ingnition which is not a problem.

What can i do, or what is wrong pertaining to basically no run when cold?

any help would be great, ideas, thoughts, comments....anything ......Thanks,

john

Previously I had long tube headers on her and she was PERFECT!. I had to change back to stock cuz i need to sell her

hi y'all, did some more work on her, it seems that my MSD was faulty, (as it stands now) i will have to wait till the morning for a completly "cold" engine to verify if engine start is proper. Bimmer was off for about 4 hours in 70-65 degree temps and she started up almost as soo as i touched the ingnition, adjsuted co levels, (which were already still withen spec) everything is rocksolid.

we post tomorrow with final results.
mods: Sterling Coated LT headers, Bilstein sport shocks and struts, Eibach Pro spring kit, AC removed, BAV gauge pod, MSD ingnition, polyurathane busings, Strut/Shock tower brace, rear mounted battery,K&N air filtration, Ansa Free Flow Muffler, Kosei K-1 racing rims
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Well not the best, but she starts up now just fine, but idle is very low, almost to the point of stalling, puch the gas a few times some backfire in the intake, ildle drops way down, then back up to maybe 200rpm. That is where it settles down at, untill warm up when everything is perfect.

any ideas on how to increase cold idle speed....once that is fixed everything is perfect.