Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant369 View Post
Most stations have 2 nozzles on the same pump. It could be a different pump altogether too, I have seen it both ways. There is a larger truck nozzle and a smaller car nozzle. Unless your at a truck stop there should be an car nozzle.

The truck one will not open the fuel filler stopper but it is possible without the attachment to get the diesel in but it is a very slow process. The smaller one should fit perfectly and the diesel hoses are very long so it doesn't matter which side you pull up to.
Interesting. My experience up to about 17 years ago (with a 1978 VW Diesel Rabbit) was that truck stops had one or two pumps with the smaller (automobile) filler nozzle. Non-truck stop stations that catered to automobiles had the smaller automobile filler nozzle. It got interesting when prices were cheaper at the automobile service stations and trucks pulled in to pump 50 gallons into their tank.... I haven't seen any diesel pumps with both truck and auto size filler nozzles on the same pump, though. But then again, I am just starting to get back into the diesel thing....
Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
UPDATE ON DELIVERY OF 2010 335d

Hi Tito,

I spoke to the manager and he informed me that he found out from BMW that they extended the eco credit and you are locked in with the order and because of the delay in production and he told me to tell you that the expected delivery date is the end of november or sometime in the beginning of december.

Regards,

Client Advisor

Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
SECOND IS NOT A GEAR

Mein Auto: 335d,Supercharged Maraudr
[QUOTE=montauk1989;4522129]

Have any of you few 335D owners been able to get the dealers to budge on price?

I called Global in atl and told them the specs for the d I wanted to order and they gave me a price of 49K on a 54K sticker. I decided to go ahead with the purchase but the internet manager was off that day. Then my local dealer whom I had test drove the d at called and I told them that I was going to go ahead and get it in Atl and they came back and bettered their price saying tha it made them look bad when someone went out of market in the eyes of BMW corporate so they were going to do whatever it took. This would have been my 3rd purchase in Atl. This went back and forth[unplanned] between the two dealers undercutting each other for several days and I ended up paying like $47800 at Tom Williams in Bham plus they thew in the $575 rear shades. The order was placed on 6/10 recieved the d on 7/21. So I got close to $7K off and love having the car the way I wanted it to the last detail.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
I secured a 2010 335d for ~$8000 under sticker.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Count me as another very satisfied 335d owner that wouldlike to have a diesel forum. Diesel is the new future of sports cars! Just look at the Le Mans winners engines.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM
hang up and drive!

Ok Joe, you are in!

That makes like three of us within a 5-10 mile radius or so, so not too bad. So let's see, that would be about a 1/2 liter of diesel (gas oil) for you EU types!

I'm in Weston, Danika (over on the E90 Fanatic site) is in Sunrise, and you in Coral Springs.

I won't get mine till Dec it looks like, but it will be the way I wanted it.

As far as price breaks, I got about $5,500 off. I really did not bargain much, since it was a special order and I was happy with the eco-credit about to run out.

Let's see how many more are out there.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efhanover75 View Post
Now you are talking! Is yours awaiting transit to the States? Mine is.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Still waiting for a confirmed build date. I called BMWUSA this morning and they say confirmed, but no production date yet. I'm probably not going to see it before mid-November
Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for a confirmed build date. I called BMWUSA this morning and they say confirmed, but no production date yet. I'm probably not going to see it before mid-November
If you don't have a week scheduled for production at this point, it is a bit of wishful thinking to expect you are going to get your car by mid-November. Take 40 to 45 days after completion of production for the car to arrive at the dealer. Without even a scheduled production date, you could be looking at a November (or worse) build date, depending on when a production slot opens up for your dealer.

I am not trying to pour salt in any wound; it is just that if you don't have a scheduled production date, you are still in a holding pattern of sorts.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 944 S2 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilalleykatt View Post
I called Global in atl and told them the specs for the d I wanted to order and they gave me a price of 49K on a 54K sticker. I decided to go ahead with the purchase but the internet manager was off that day. Then my local dealer whom I had test drove the d at called and I told them that I was going to go ahead and get it in Atl and they came back and bettered their price saying tha it made them look bad when someone went out of market in the eyes of BMW corporate so they were going to do whatever it took. This would have been my 3rd purchase in Atl. This went back and forth[unplanned] between the two dealers undercutting each other for several days and I ended up paying like $47800 at Tom Williams in Bham plus they thew in the $575 rear shades. The order was placed on 6/10 recieved the d on 7/21. So I got close to $7K off and love having the car the way I wanted it to the last detail.
That's good news. My only problem now is that there aren't many cars available so I guess the dealer may feel like they shouldn't budge. I should know tomorrow.
Dave
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montauk1989 View Post
That's good news. My only problem now is that there aren't many cars available so I guess the dealer may feel like they shouldn't budge. I should know tomorrow.
Dave
I don't think there are any 2009 ds available at this point. If so, the only way you are going to get a d is to order a 2010. Pricing is a function of the market where the dealer is located.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 AM
hang up and drive!

As of late last week the dealer advised there were only two 2009 335d available for sale in the entire USA. I would assume those are gone by now.

My dealer said that they had like a total of 20 diesels, including the X5d and they were sitting there not moving, then they came out with the eco-credit (wonder how they arrived at the $4,500 amount?) and they went like hot potatoes.

As far as I know, if you push hard and place your order, put down your deposit and get the eco credit in writing from the dealer, you should get the deal. When you get delivery is another story. I know they are delayed already.

You can just imagine the planning/production folks trying to decide how many d's for the US market they think they should plan for, given the slump we just went through.

I think acceptance of the TDI is slowly moving up, especially with some of the advertisements being shown for BMW and Audi clean diesel technology.

We get a few of these running around town and people start asking questions, curious, etc...

For those of us old enough to recall those wonderful GM Diesels from the late 70's early
80's, no wonder most folks in the US won't even consider a diesel.

All it took for me to get hooked was a taxi ride from Munich to Augsburg in a VW Jetta Wagon TDI doing 240km/h on the Autobahn, and I had to ask the driver if the car was a diesel or gas!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Dieselhead.

Mein Auto: '10 335d, 08 535xit, MINI
Quote:
So what dealer did you go with? Philly area here too...inquiring minds...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:04 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
autotrader.com shows quite a few 335d if you do a nationwide search. some are "used"
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 AM

I completely agree. It is wishful thinking. I'm figuring a December PCD date.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCheg101 View Post
So what dealer did you go with? Philly area here too...inquiring minds...
I went out of area. Used an intermediary to secure the best deal.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
hang up and drive!

My dealer here in South Florida (Pembroke Pines) said they sold approx 30 diesels in sedan and SUV.

He said they are one of the top 10 dealers in the US. Judging by the size of their car lot I'd agree.

They will be getting more 2010 diesels later, so there will be some in stock shortly.

It will be interesting to see if they keep the eco credit going longer than 2 Nov.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:19 AM
hang up and drive!

Guys, I was tailing a VW Jetta TDI, looked to be rather new, 08 or 09, and it was white, which I think is a mistake. I noticed the back end was pretty sooted up, typical of diesel engines. Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.
Nope. Mine never soots/smokes, unless I really get on it (+4500 RPM).

The only time that there might be some smoke would be when the DPF is cycling through the cleaning phase.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Road Warrior

Mein Auto: (2)335d, RS60 Spyder
No soot on mine.....the inside of my exhaust tips is cleaner than any gasoline car I have ever had.

www.thelonghighway.com A Blog Dedicated to the 335d
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Guys, I was tailing a VW Jetta TDI, looked to be rather new, 08 or 09, and it was white, which I think is a mistake. I noticed the back end was pretty sooted up, typical of diesel engines. Is this similar for the newer BMW Diesels with the adblue? One more reason why I orderd it in Black.
there was no 07 or 08 tdi sold over here. It was probably 06 or older. The new ones have no soot because of the DPF.

By all accounts, the new BMW diesels have NO soot at the tailpipe.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 AM
SECOND IS NOT A GEAR

Mein Auto: 335d,Supercharged Maraudr
My 09 TDI would soot up a little around the tailpipe if you ran hard for extended periods. I made it to San Fran in 34 hrs non stop and the rear was getting that old diesel look. Seemed like it would soot up more at times. As the miles accured the soot went away.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Nope. Mine never soots/smokes, unless I really get on it (+4500 RPM).

The only time that there might be some smoke would be when the DPF is cycling through the cleaning phase.
If there is soot coming out of the new diesels, there is a problem with the emission control system. The reason that diesels were banned from California and states the followed the California emission regulations is because of the particulates (aka the soot that fouled up the rear of earlier diesels). The particulate trap is supposed to eliminate particulate emissions. If it doesn't BMW (and Mercedes, VW/Audi, GM and Ford) have a big problem on their hands.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I went out of area. Used an intermediary to secure the best deal.
How much did you have to pay the intermediary? That should be factored into the overall cost of the car....
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
If there is soot coming out of the new diesels, there is a problem with the emission control system. The reason that diesels were banned from California and states the followed the California emission regulations is because of the particulates (aka the soot that fouled up the rear of earlier diesels). The particulate trap is supposed to eliminate particulate emissions. If it doesn't BMW (and Mercedes, VW/Audi, GM and Ford) have a big problem on their hands.
We have as strict - if not more strict - laws about this in the EU than California.

All BMW diesel cars and trucks made after 2003/4 have the dreaded, evil DPF.

But, if I get on all 600 torques in 4th gear with my E61, there is going to be some dust from the exhaust.