Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojk995 View Post
Ordered my 2010 Space Gray 335d in August. Shows as Awaiting transport as of today. My guess is that we are all in the same build. Does another month wait sound about right?
Probably. I would say most likely 3-4 weeks depending on the ship schedule.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
That's awesome. I was thinking it wouldn't be here till
Thanksgiving. Can't wait to drive it. I travel to Europe
frequently, but have never driven a 335d. Luckily, the
Dealership gave me a money back guarantee if I don't
like it when it arrives because people in the Wash. DC area
are snapping up any diesel that hits the dealerships.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Let's see who's first to get their 2010 335d.

My SA is saying that production does not actually start until first week in Nov. He claims their dealership had 3 slots and those are filled now. No more Eco Credits are available. Now I know these guys can BS, they are salemen after all.

Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. They shipped it to Germany then it was transhipped to Central America. No wonder these cars are so dam expensive!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Delivery Date

I ordered a 335d in early September but still have no confirmed build date. Any idea what the delay is? I see that the August buyers are looking at November deliveries. Am I looking at a December delivery? I got a great deal, so I can't wait to get the car.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:36 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V70 + Volvo S80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
...Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. ...
the 3 series is not built in the US. I know the X's are built at Spartanburg, but not sure if all Z's are built here.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efhanover75 View Post
I ordered a 335d in early September but still have no confirmed build date. Any idea what the delay is? I see that the August buyers are looking at November deliveries. Am I looking at a December delivery? I got a great deal, so I can't wait to get the car.
I think the sudden interest in the d's may have caught them by surprise after they seemed to move so slowly, then were snatched up. Amazing how that whole $4,500 cash for clunker and Eco Credit caught everyone by surprise. I don't think the Clunker program lasted more than a few weeks, right?

Is it possible enough people are really interested now in the diesels?

There are adds all over the TV, drums of oil rolling back onto oil tankers, etc...!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.anger View Post
I am getting 30 mpg (US), overall average (7.9 l/100km). Most of my driving is city. Recently did a little road trip to Montana and got 6.0l/100km (40mpg), but I am not driving for economy, it is just too much fun to give 'er.

just got a ridiculous quote from a tire store in Calgary not very special rims and dunlop 3D wintersports for 2296+tax.
If you think 2296 is ridiculous, don't go to the dealer - I got the wheel and tire insurance so am getting my winter set from them 3200 or so, arriving in late October. In Calgary also.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
Is the 335d built in the US or in Germany? I recall that certain models are exclusively built in certain countries and no place else.

I ordered a Z-3 when I lived in Central America, thinking it was built in Germany since it was shipped from Germany, but in fact it was built in Spartanburg, S.C. They shipped it to Germany then it was transhipped to Central America. No wonder these cars are so dam expensive!
Germany....

Old Z4/X5/X6 are South Carolina
3 Series is mostly Germany, but some South Africa (most of the US 3s come from Germany).
5/6/7/M are Germany
X3 is Austria

If you want to get really in depth, all the facilities are listed here:
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index....tandorte.shtml
Old 09-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by efhanover75 View Post
Did you get an order confirmation from BMW NA? I placed my order for a 2010 335d at the end of August and the car is presently on a boat navigating its way across the Atlantic. ETA at the dealer is late October (21 - 23 timeframe). If you don't have an order confirmation from BMW NA, you have no production (much less delivery) date. Most likely, your dealer does not have a production slot allocation. If your order is not confirmed with BMW NA by November 2, it is my understanding that you won't get the $4,500 Eco Credit when the car is eventually produced.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojk995 View Post
Ordered my 2010 Space Gray 335d in August. Shows as Awaiting transport as of today. My guess is that we are all in the same build. Does another month wait sound about right?
Do you have any idea when the car was built? My 335d which was built 9/15 is on a boat crossing the Atlantic. My order was placed the last week of August.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
the 3 series is not built in the US. I know the X's are built at Spartanburg, but not sure if all Z's are built here.
The 335d that is sold in the U.S. is built in Germany.

Last edited by anE934fun; 09-25-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
hang up and drive!

I don't have an order number yet as well, only a signed New Buyers Order with agreed upon specs and price (including the eco credit and discount), plus my $1,000 down payment. I ordered two weeks ago, so Sept 12th it was.

SA today confirmed the order is placed and they had 3 slots which are now full. I'm one of those slots. He said anyone else placing an order now can not get the $4,500 credit and they have no idea when they will get more slots.

Pretty hard to move cars that aren't even available.

Say production is delayed and won't start till first week in Nov, so how do you get a finished car on a boat already. You can never trust these SA\s. Damn them to hell.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
BMW d Driver

Almost sounds like a smaller dealer, larger dealers have more allocation I believe usually.

In any event, glad you got it and the discount. The discounts can be tricky, only way I was able to get mine was finding a car already on its way here so it would meet the time line (this was a discount on all 335s a few months ago).
Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Almost sounds like a smaller dealer, larger dealers have more allocation I believe usually.

In any event, glad you got it and the discount. The discounts can be tricky, only way I was able to get mine was finding a car already on its way here so it would meet the time line (this was a discount on all 335s a few months ago).
He claims to be one of the top 10 in USA. They have the Fort Lauderdale area basically wrapped up, and there are BMW's all over this place.

It's gonna be a pretty sad day if they are not able to deliver. Maybe late, but on my agreed terms.

Hell, I can wait. Once I get my car it's sianara to all you suckers!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 PM
hang up and drive!

Besides, if they have only sold upwards of 500 d's in 2009, how many could any one dealer get?

My dealer says they sold approx 30, that's about 6% of all d's sold in the US.

Wish we had some real facts and numbers to work with here.

He did say there has been a significant increase in interest recently, especailly all that advertisement for the eco credit. But no cars! Go figure.

Yet, at the same time there are still 50 used/new 2009 335d's shown as available on Autotrader. Many of those seem to show the same standard photo of the same car. Wonder if they really have or it is just a hoax to get people to inquire.

Last edited by Flyingman; 09-25-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
He he he ...lots of 335D in Miami
Old 09-25-2009, 07:50 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalekressin View Post
He he he ...lots of 335D in Miami
With heated seats for you freaking snowbirds! Up in Wisconsin I meant!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 PM
hang up and drive!

Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI
High Temperature: Actual: 77F
Normal: 66F
Record: 85F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 56F
Normal: 45F
Record: 28F

Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
High Temperature: Actual: 88F
Normal: 88F
Record: 94F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 76F
Normal: 74F
Record: 69F

Read them stats and weep!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 PM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI
High Temperature: Actual: 77F
Normal: 66F
Record: 85F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 56F
Normal: 45F
Record: 28F

Yesterday, 9/24/2009 in FORT LAUDERDALE, FL
High Temperature: Actual: 88F
Normal: 88F
Record: 94F
Low Temperature:
Actual: 76F
Normal: 74F
Record: 69F

Read them stats and weep!
What are you trying to prove? Its warming in the Florida than the Midwest? Duh...

and that is nothing for a difference, wait till January/Feb/March when the BIG temp differences start rolling in
Old 09-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Hey Grentz, what does the 335d smell like? It sounds ridiculous, but man, I hate the smell of traditional diesel cars. It actually makes me nauseated. I have heard that they are a lot better now with the onboard urea tank...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Besides, if they have only sold upwards of 500 d's in 2009, how many could any one dealer get?

My dealer says they sold approx 30, that's about 6% of all d's sold in the US.

Wish we had some real facts and numbers to work with here.

He did say there has been a significant increase in interest recently, especailly all that advertisement for the eco credit. But no cars! Go figure.

Yet, at the same time there are still 50 used/new 2009 335d's shown as available on Autotrader. Many of those seem to show the same standard photo of the same car. Wonder if they really have or it is just a hoax to get people to inquire.
Probably more of a placeholder.... Here is a possible scenario:
Caller: Uh, I noticed you have a 335d listed on Autotrader.com.
SA: Well, we did have one but it just sold.... We are taking orders for the 2010s and BMW has an Eco Credit incentive for orders placed through November 2nd. If you want, we could place an order for you.

And, and, and....

Moral of the story - don't believe everything you see on autotrader.com.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I don't have an order number yet as well, only a signed New Buyers Order with agreed upon specs and price (including the eco credit and discount), plus my $1,000 down payment. I ordered two weeks ago, so Sept 12th it was.

SA today confirmed the order is placed and they had 3 slots which are now full. I'm one of those slots. He said anyone else placing an order now can not get the $4,500 credit and they have no idea when they will get more slots.

Pretty hard to move cars that aren't even available.

Say production is delayed and won't start till first week in Nov, so how do you get a finished car on a boat already. You can never trust these SA\s. Damn them to hell.
If you don't have an order (Production) number, you don't have an order. If your CA can't run a Vehicle Inquiry Report for you that has the following entries (Production Number, Order Status of 111 - Order Accepted, Priority of 1 - Customer Sold with your name in the Customer field), you do not have a confirmed order with BMW NA.

Not to rub salt into the wound, but with a Production Number, the dealer can tell you which week production will start, because the production has been scheduled with the factory.

Last edited by anE934fun; 09-25-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Hey Grentz, what does the 335d smell like? It sounds ridiculous, but man, I hate the smell of traditional diesel cars. It actually makes me nauseated. I have heard that they are a lot better now with the onboard urea tank...
I am not Grentz, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn recently. As to your question about 335d smell, it depends on where you are doing the smelling. Inside the car with the doors and windows closed, there is the smell of the leather interior. Outside at the rear of car with the engine idling, there is no diesel exhaust stink, which is due to the ulltra low sulfur content of diesel fuel in California. Open up the hood and if you have a sensitive nose, you will get a bit of a whiff of unburned diesel, which was probably left from when the fuel system was bolted onto the engine and leak tested. I would imagine that a complete engine wash would eliminate the eau d' diesel with one application if the eau was objectionable.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
im in LOVE with the 335d. And everyone I know who has been in it with me now wants one.
Thats a lot coming from people w/ maseratis and P cars, and above. 27.7 mpg in the city with more torque than quite a few of them

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 PM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post

Frankly I have not smelled diesel at all except for a few fumes when filling it at the pump (obviously).

There is absolutely no smell inside, and very very little at the back. To smell the exhaust you have to get right down next to it and even then it does not smell like diesel. I can smell my gas cars much easier than the diesel (I drive in with the M3 and it stinks up the whole garage...I cannot even tell when the diesel has been running in the garage though). The emissions are so low it is just incredible, another nice side effect is that the exhaust pipes stay very clean