Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Icecreamfoo
Mein Auto: 02 330i
OIL Gurus: reset srvic indicator after DIY OIL CHG?

HI all, noob to the board... have a 330 DIY oild change Q and would like to ask for some opinions/advices.

I'm leaning towards changing engine oil myself, sooner than the 15k interval suggested by BMW, this long interval just doesnt sit quite well with me since i do lots stop-and-go traffic in LA. Search results shows that lots of enthusiasts here do the same as well, but i didnt see any posts that mention whether we'll need to reset the service indicator (and if so, how) ourselves... or maybe there are but i just missed them?

Cuz my roomates and friends work on their own cars all the time, including hondas, VWs, Mazda, and 2 E36 M3 and 01 Mroadster. So they can help me with oil DIY, but the E36s dont have our service indicator so they have no idea what i should do. Should I reset it, or do I just leave it? My car is at 20k miles and the indicator still shows 7k mile to next service.

Also, i saw that in this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=oil+change
PhilH mentioned there is an "oil change kit" from BMW. I'm curious how it works, and if it's really necessary? My e36 friends just do the normal drain and fill i believe...

Appreciate any inputs... Thanks!
Jerry
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Don't reset it.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Oil change kit that Phil refers to is just a filter kit that consist of oil filter and 2 washers, one for drain plug and one for filter housing cap. The P/N is 11-42-7-512-300 and lists at $8.50.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: '03 996 C2
You don't want to reset it, because your oil changes are in addition to the normal services. You still want BMW to do the normal services. Yours are "extra credit"
Old 09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
don't reset it if your car is still under the "free" maintenance time frame. the service dept looks at that to determine your "free" (read prepaid) of charge oil changes and maintenance.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Icecreamfoo
Mein Auto: 02 330i
woa u guys are fast.... this makes sense, i'll just change the oil/filter, and thanks for the part # F1. THX for the responses, it's nice to know there are this many knowledgeable peeps here.

So on top of the 5k-7.5k mile oil change, is there anything else on the car that you guys change regularly yourselves?

(Brake pads/rotors are covered under maint/warranty am i correct? my rear pads have lil life left)
Old 09-05-2003, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
BTW, if you're interested in how to reset your light here's how:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404

As others have said DON'T DO THIS DURING YOUR FREE MAINTENANCE PERIOD.