Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: Jeep
What Mounts and Length rail for Roof Rack

I have been doing lots of reading and having trouble figuring out exactly what mounts to use. I want to start with the roof rack so that I can carry the bikes, and when needed throw extra cargo up there in a box, bag, or basket.

Eventually I will move to the Hitch so I have the option for both.

The Question for now is what feet/towers or "base" are you using to mount to your bars. I don't care about brand I like Yakima but have no allegiances. My last rack I just made with some scrap metal and a bed mount from a truck.
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I'm going to answer this assuming you have an X3, but from the question I have doubts...
The answer is simple: no feet! The "utility" or crossbars connect to the rails that are standard on on North American X3s. This is true for the BMW setup, Thule, Yakima, etc. For Thule & Yakima you buy a pair of cross bars and the adapters that bolt them onto the existing rails. (See pix 1) Then you get the ski or bike or whatever accessories you want. The crossbars come with the adapters already on them for the BMW set-up. (Pix 2)

Although Pix 1 is from Thule, Yakima has two similar setups. Look at their "Railgrab" and "Lowrider". Either use 58" crossbars.

All of the above applies to the rooftop set-up. You may also have rails inside the cargo area and there is an optional trailer hitch.

Let me know if you want additional links to photos of any of this.
Attached Images

Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.

Last edited by b-y; 09-16-2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Yakima details added
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Volvo S60, '97 Jetta
poke around the Thule website - I've got the 45050 setup- 4 feet with 50" load bars attached to the X3's up top side rails - think you can get 58" bars as well - the "Ranger" box for up top storage looks pretty good - good luck !
Old 09-17-2009, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I'm using a Yakima system. It consists of 4 LowRider towers and 2 58" cross bars. I'm also using the Yakima WindJammer attachement to reduce wind noise.

You can use the Yakima website to put together the proper system for your SAV.

Good Luck

BMW CCA #422951

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330XI, 2007 X3
I just got my base support roof rack system. I bought the BMW one because the retail value ($219) was similiar to the Thule and others, and the dealer gave me BMWCCA discount so I ended up paying only $175 plus tax. I like the BMW one because it design specifically for their roof rack, it doesn't stick too much out of the rails and it comes with the locks already so I didn't have an additional cost. Also, it suppose to be compatible with the Thule attachements, which is great because I already have the ski one.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep
Thanks guys, after I did some more looking around, it seems as if it is between the railgrab and the crossroad.

Then I just flat out wasn't sure what length bar to get (picking up the X3 Tonight). I think I will head down to rackoutfitters and let them steer me towards a brand. The bike mount is already figured out: Rocky Mount.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3
Check out the other posts on this forum....Thule Roof Rack Whistle, Roofbox/cargo/ for X3...and there's some more insite there. My '06 X3 I went with the Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad Railing Foot Pack, Thule RB53 Rapid Aero Aluminum Load Bars, Thule 871XT Fairing (38 inch). Best advice I have for price..****** around...after going to Thule or the Yakima website to configuere what you need. The one and only reason I went with Thule foot pack (over BMW specific) was that it'll work on my girlfriends SUV if we want to leave the BMW in the garage:-)
Old 09-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Volvo S60, '97 Jetta
wind noise - haven't been bothered by it - but if you decide to go the fairing route to diminish the noise I'd recommend that you are assured of having its' feet sit on the front of the roof and not the sunroof - unless you always keep it closed - this may require some experimenting with the location of the front load bar - I've always liked Thule but the BMW package noted in one of the other replies sounds pretty good !!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
No whistle from my non-aero Thule setups. One has #415 feet (old style) and the other has #450 feet (new style). Thule kayak carrier called Hullavator does not whistle, but with kayak on it I get whistling.