Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: '04 X3
Question Time for Tires - Options for better tread life?

We've got a 2004 X3 with Pirelli Scorpions on it. They've got about 30,000 miles on them, and are in need of replacement. We were given 3 options from our BMW dealership, the same tire, Michelin Pilots, and something else that I can't remember. Cost ranged from $800 to $1000+ for a set of 4 installed. Our service guy told us that tires last between 25,000 and 30,000 normally. Has anyone had any luck in getting more mileage out of tire with other tire brands or models, and still retain decent ride and grip? We're in Colorado, so need something that will work well in all seasons.

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
The Pirelli Scorpions last more like 45K miles for most owners, especially if the 235/55-17 size. Somewhat less for the 18" size.
Not sure why yours are worn at 30K miles.
You haven't mentioned if wear was even, front to rear, side to side, or if you are the original owner.
Not sure if your service advisor is correct, as owner's experience with tire life varies quite considerably for some reason.
Some owners with Bridgestones as O.E. got less than 20K miles, so they are not recommended for better tread life obviously.
The Michelins are generally reported to get similar tread life as the Pirellis, but cornering and snow traction may be a notch below.
If you were happy with the ride and handling of the Scorpions, go with them again, as 30K miles isn't too bad.
As you may know, you won't be getting the most favorable price from the dealer - you could probably save at least 20% by shopping around.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
30k on a set of Scorpions? That's odd. I have 62k miles on mine and look like they can go for another 10k or more.

I will definitely go with the Scorpions again. I love them.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 07-09-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 AM

Hmmmmmm....

Supercourse, We bought the car last March with around 30k miles on it. The tires were in "like new" shape, and I thought that the dealer said that the tires were replaced recently. Wear is all on inside; all 4 tires, and we've had 2 alignments done on the thing. The first was because our 16 year hit a curb or something, and the last one was due to continuing wear. Both dealers said that all parts are straight and in good shape. I can handle 60k miles on a set of tires,,, even 45-50k, but $1000 for tires every 2 years is ridiculous. Maybe they weren't new tires,,, we've got almost 60k on it now,, maybe this is the original set of tires on it........

I'm pretty picky about keeping tire pressures set to factory specs, etc. and this is my wife's car; it doesn't get rodded around town by any stretch.

Thanks for the info.

Dubl
Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl View Post
We bought the car last March with around 30k miles on it. The tires were in "like new" shape,
Usually Scorpions with 30k miles will look in "like new" shape. Most probably those are the original tires but you can determine that, by looking at the tire production date; that will give you a hint if they were replaced recently.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
I've got over 22,000 miles on mine (17") and they still look new.

Whatever you decide I wouldnot go with Bridgestone!!!!!

The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT's on my daughters 2007 E90 were pure junk. They wore uneven on all 4 corners and as a result rumbled so bad you couldn't hear the radio.

Read the reviews on Tire Rack and you'll see that her experiences were not isolated.

She couldn't stand it any more and replaced them with Continental SSR's at about 25,000 miles and has been thrilled ever since.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D X-drive
My 06 X3 M-sport is due for tire replacement, odometer is at 52800 miles.

I'm decided to order the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. The performance ratings are very impressive than the scorpions.

check it out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ireSearch=true

Cheers!

2010 X5 35D X-Drive Twin Power Turbo
Jet Black/Sand Beige Nappa Leather/Poplar Light Wood Trim/Premium package/Technology Package/
3rd row seating/SLS/Running Boards/Convenience Options/4-zone automatic climate control/Keyless entry/
18"light alloy Star spoke rims Style 210 with all-season run flat tires.

2006 X3 M-Sport
Alpine White/Black Premium Leather/Technology Package/
Premium Package/Cold Weather Package/PDC/
Adaptive Headlights/18"light alloy Style 192M-sport rims.

Last edited by elbojemio; 07-09-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have 45K miles on my '06 non sport with the 18" factory option Scorpions, and they look good for another 10-15K miles. Before you buy tires from the dealer check with bimmerfest sponsor TireRack. You will be surprised at the number of tires out there. I will probably get Scorpions again even though they are not an easy riding tire, they do perform and they last.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Thanks again all,

X3-terrestrial - Thanks for the reminder. While it doesn't change our need for tires, I'll check them when I get home tonight to see if they're older or newer. Maybe we didn't get newer tires after all....
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post

The Bridgestone Turanza EL42 RFT's on my daughters 2007 E90 were pure junk. They wore uneven on all 4 corners and as a result rumbled so bad you couldn't hear the radio.

Read the reviews on Tire Rack and you'll see that her experiences were not isolated.

She couldn't stand it any more and replaced them with Continental SSR's at about 25,000 miles and has been thrilled ever since.
Did your daughter go with non runflats? What does she do for a spare tire?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Can I rotate my rear Scorpions?

I'm a big fan of the Scorpions with close to 50k miles on them. The rear passenger side is showing the most wear. Would it be ok to rotate with rear driver side?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Did your daughter go with non runflats?
No, that's what SSR stands for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ProContact+SSR

Self-Supporting Run-Flat Tires (SSR)

In the event of a loss of pressure, run-flat tires can still function reliably over a certain distance at a specified top speed. To make this possible, the sidewalls of the Self-Supporting Run-Flat Tire (SSR) are reinforced with extra rubber to absorb the weight of the vehicle should inflation pressure drop. In many cases, this enables the motorist to reach the intended destination or at least make it to the nearest automotive repair shop.

It wasn't the run flat part that made the Bridgestones go bad. I believe it was the uneven tread block design that caused them to start cupping around the outer edge.

Note how the tread blocks are not evenly sized:

The small ones wore more quickly than the large ones causing a horrible rumble that only worsened as time went. When she replaced them the small tread blocks were all but gone and the large ones were worn thin at one end and thick at the other.

For comparison here is the Continental SSR she has on it now:

Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM

More insight on our tire wear.

I took a look at the tires. The rears have plenty of tread on them. The fronts are what need replacing. Looks like I should be getting the same kind of mileage on these tires as what everyone else is posting.

The next question is if there's any reason NOT to swap the rear tires on the left and right rims when I get the new fronts put on? That should extend the treadlife even more since factory alignment has a bit of camber which causes the inside tread to wear faster than the outside.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post

Funny. The reason I joined Bimmerfest was to get some tips on the best tire for my X3. I just replaced the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 with the Perilli Scorpions. Mental note - The Turanzas were sold to me sans warranty! None of any kind. That should have been a red flag, but I went with them because they were OEM on my X3. 12k miles later, just like you, the cupping was so bad that I couldn't stand to drive it due to the loud rumble, even at 10 to 15 mph. I've heard nothing but good about the Perellis and hope they last at least twice as long as the Turanzas. Good luck with your search!
Old 07-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl View Post
We've got a 2004 X3 with Pirelli Scorpions on it. They've got about 30,000 miles on them, and are in need of replacement. We were given 3 options from our BMW dealership, the same tire, Michelin Pilots, and something else that I can't remember. Cost ranged from $800 to $1000+ for a set of 4 installed. Our service guy told us that tires last between 25,000 and 30,000 normally. Has anyone had any luck in getting more mileage out of tire with other tire brands or models, and still retain decent ride and grip? We're in Colorado, so need something that will work well in all seasons.

Thanks,
Go with the Michelin Pilots BMW spec. They are a far better tire than the Pirelli or Bridgestone. I just replaced my OE Pirelli's with the Michelin's and what a world of improvement in ride quality. IMO well worth the extra money but you can get them for a better price Michelin is currently running rebates!

Also, I understand that the replacement BMW spec Pirelli's are not as good as the OEM's. A friend of my got only 20K from his replacement Pirelli's. I got 52K on my OEM Pirelli's.
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 09-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to fire off a quick "thank you" to those in this forum.

I was looking around for good tires for my BMW X3, and ended up searching through this forum. Most of you all seemed to lean far towards the Pirelli's and my particular X3 had the Michelin's, so I gave the Pirelli's a try.

Going from the Michelin's to Pirelli's was such a noticeable change in the dynamics of the X3, it was almost like a new car.

Personal Michelin cons that I found:
Steering response seemed heavier (didn't have the servotronic option)
Wet weather traction was annoying. They'd slip a bit, and I could feel the x-drive kicking in, so I never felt like I was in danger, but they still annoyed me.
Stiffer ride (which I expected in a BMW, so didn't think anything was really wrong)

Pirelli's seemed to make the steering effort at low speeds much easier than the Michelin's that I had since they were new. The new Pirelli's gave it a more surprisingly luxury/comfortable ride, but actually seemed to grab onto the road more so than the Michelin's. I'm still not sure if it's a plus or con, but I've noticed a softer road feel that the Michelin's did not have. The Pirelli's actually seem to soften bumps and irregularities that the Michelin's really tended to feel harsh on.

When I first noticed how much softer the Pirelli's felt, I was worried I'd lose the great handling characteristics that I was used to with the Michelin's. Of course, at this point, I don't know how much of the lack of grip the Michelin's I remember is due to the tread wearing out, but at the moment, the Pirelli's seem to out-grip the Michelin's in the same corners I am used to taking albeit with more of a leaning feel that I may attribute to sidewall flexing moreso than the Michelin's did.

Anyways, I just wanted to take a few minutes to express my thanks to you guys here on the forums for the advice thats so readily available here.

Many Thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Which Michelins did you have - Primacy, MXV4, pilot mxm4?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I have Michelins on mine. 20k miles and they look great. Nice ride, good traction last winter in NH. I had the Pirelli Scorpions on when I bought the X3 with 15k miles. Lasted to 21k miles and I had to replace!

The Michelins have a 60k mile warranty. I bought them through Costco - they did a great job of mounting, balancing and installing the tires.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Which Michelins did you have - Primacy, MXV4, pilot mxm4?
I believe mine were the MXV4 ones.