Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 PM
ccw007 ccw007 is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Rain Sensor initialization?

History: Got my windshield replaced during the summer months due to the usual rock/crack damage. It was replaced with an OEM that came with a rain sensor. Installer also replaced the condensation senor as well.

Yesterday, I got to use my wiper with the rain sensor. It is not sensitive at all, even with the highest sensitivity setting. prior to replacement, the wiper/rain sensor was perfect with the next to lowest setting. So something was not right here...

I checked the internet and some links said that BMW requires rain senor to be reset when new windshield is installed due to different reflection index and sensor sensitivity. In other words, it needs a re-calibration so the computer can use a new offset index value. Anyhow, I inquired about this re-calibration from my BMW's service advisor and was told no such thing is needed if the windshield is from BMW.

Question: Just wondering what is the truth here? need a BMW windshield to get the rain sensor working properly, or just needs a re-calibration?

Pls advise!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
BMW_GAL's Avatar
BMW_GAL BMW_GAL is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,279
Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
I thought the rain sensor wasn't actually part of the windshield itself but is somewhere on the rear view mirror like on the stem or something
__________________
Sig by Solidjake

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 PM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,334
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
I thought the rain sensor wasn't actually part of the windshield itself but is somewhere on the rear view mirror like on the stem or something
That's the impression I had as well.

That big black box that the rear view mirror attaches to houses the sensor, not the windshield itself.

BMW is able to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, but it shouldn't have changed with a windshield swap, right? Unless there is something trapped right where the sensor is such as dust or dirt that is no obstructing it?
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
Thunder Dump's Avatar
Thunder Dump Thunder Dump is offline
Tastes like chicken
Location: Western MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,071
Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Those rain sensors pass IR light through the windshield at an angle and measure the corresponding return for focus and refraction. It's possible that the new glass has different absorption/reflection properties and is messing up the sensor, but I've never heard of it being adjustable. Makes sense though for it to be adjustable for this very reason.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 PM
cwinter's Avatar
cwinter cwinter is offline
Here comes trouble!
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,334
Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Those rain sensors pass IR light through the windshield at an angle and measure the corresponding return for focus and refraction. It's possible that the new glass has different absorption/reflection properties and is messing up the sensor, but I've never heard of it being adjustable. Makes sense though for it to be adjustable for this very reason.
I think it's adjustable through the "hidden menu" that was mentioned here various times not too long ago.
__________________
2009 328i Sedan - Ordered: 2/24/09 .:. Delivered: 5/6/09
Jet Black | Black Dakota | Aluminum | Premium | Sport | Xenon | CA | Split Fold Seats


Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM
JeffreyJames JeffreyJames is offline
Just installed JB3.Vroom!
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: 2011 535i-Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw007 View Post
History: Got my windshield replaced during the summer months due to the usual rock/crack damage. It was replaced with an OEM that came with a rain sensor. Installer also replaced the condensation senor as well.

Yesterday, I got to use my wiper with the rain sensor. It is not sensitive at all, even with the highest sensitivity setting. prior to replacement, the wiper/rain sensor was perfect with the next to lowest setting. So something was not right here...

I checked the internet and some links said that BMW requires rain senor to be reset when new windshield is installed due to different reflection index and sensor sensitivity. In other words, it needs a re-calibration so the computer can use a new offset index value. Anyhow, I inquired about this re-calibration from my BMW's service advisor and was told no such thing is needed if the windshield is from BMW.

Question: Just wondering what is the truth here? need a BMW windshield to get the rain sensor working properly, or just needs a re-calibration?

Pls advise!
Wow.. I should have used search when I posted the similar message.. My mistake. (Sorry search gods).

We are having the same identical issue, thanks for directing me to your post. I'm going to call my SA tomorrow and see what's up. Now, I did just recently purchase a radar detector and have it directly under my rear view mirror.. I haven't tried removing it, but do you think that the placement of it is affecting the sensitivity??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 PM
jwac's Avatar
jwac jwac is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,680
Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
That's the impression I had as well.

That big black box that the rear view mirror attaches to houses the sensor, not the windshield itself.

BMW is able to adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, but it shouldn't have changed with a windshield swap, right? Unless there is something trapped right where the sensor is such as dust or dirt that is no obstructing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_GAL View Post
I thought the rain sensor wasn't actually part of the windshield itself but is somewhere on the rear view mirror like on the stem or something
The rain and light sensors on the E9x are embedded in the windshield glass. When you replace the windshield you replace the sensors as well.
__________________
2014 335i Sedan 6MT
Estoril Blue | Black leather | Dark Burl Walnut
M Sport | Premium | Driver Assistance Plus | Technology | Dynamic Handling | Cold Weather | 19" 403M Wheels | M Sport Brakes | Harman Kardon | Rear Window Shades | Auto High Beams

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms