Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i sport
Cooling/heater hoses and CCV, 2003 530i with 55K miles

Hello,

I just bought a low mileage 2003 E39 530iA sport in great condition. The car has 55K miles, it was garage kept and driven occasionally, just enough to circulate the fluids. No major maintenance has been done for several years other than oil changes. I plan to do a lot of preventive maintenance due to it's age. Here's the list of items that I will be replacing:

Cooling system:

Radiator, fan clutch, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, overflow tank, G.A.S low pressure overflow tank cap and the associated sensors.

Engine:

Valve cover gasket, OFH gasket, new Vanos Beisan seals, rebuild the DISA with the G.A.S kit, new intake hose, new spark plugs, new fuel filter.

Fluids:

Do a tranny flush with Redline D4 and replace the tranny filter. Do a rear diff fluid change with RL 75W-90, power steering fluid flush and brake fluid flush including the ABS module.

All these due to the age of the vehicle and not necessarily the mileage. Since I'll have the OFH out to replace the OFH gasket, should I replace the CCV hoses and the other cooling system hoses that are under the intake? I see these require a lot of effort and I'm not sure they need to be replaced at this mileage but the age of the vehicle worries me. What are your thoughts? If they are still in good working order, would it be worth the extra pain and effort to get these replaced now or should I wait till they fail? What other items should be in my list to be replaced now?

Thanks,
Jim
2011 E90 M3 ESS VT1-550 (Sold)
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
The ccv will be easier to replace with the OFH removed.It might be ok but all the plastic will be very brittle.I would replace while you have easier access.

Your list is comprehensive,you could clean the throttle body and the ICV .Renew the TB gasket and any worn vacuum lines. Check intake boots for cracks.

Personally I would leave the ABS module alone and just flush the fluid at the discs.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I think you are off to a great start and are hitting the vital items that will allow you to enjoy the car once they are addressed.

I know some have had no problems with a flush and it gets a lot more newer transmission fluid in there but I would consider a drain to be safer.

Drain 6 quarts, top off 6 new quarts. Drive 500 miles and then drop the pan, new filter, another 6 quarts and you'll be close to 75 percent new transmission fluid.

I drained my original transmission fluid at 170,000 with mobile 1 atf which may be a little bit to thin even though its shifting nicely and I have no issues. 20,000 miles later the gasket is leaking at one corner so I'm going back in with castrol multi vehichle imported atf. If it blows up I'll save 2 grand for a manual swap.

Here are some helpful tips I have learned about the: ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z), 9.2 quarts/6.5 quarts (8.7 liters/6.1 liters) transmission:

1. The official answer from ZF is that is optimum performance temperature is 80 to 100 c.
2. Most failures are due to improper servicing or lack of servicing - it is very important that the transmission is not leaking and that the level is not less or more than it should be so that it does not overheat or blow any seals.

In heavy nyc traffic in warm weather using INPA I see that I do hit 235 f but if I go on the hwy and drive 65 mph it cools to 210 f within 5 minutes.

It is best to overhaul the cooling and suspension instead of nickeling and diming. I have original ccv and heater hoses at 188,000 but have spare parts ready for not if but when they fail.

Last edited by energizedmortal; 05-23-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i sport pkg 5spd
Heater hoses: I'd do best visual inspection you are able w/manifold in place and decide. I've only replaced the 2 hoses to throttle body; all others down there look good, zero leakage- car is 98 w/213K miles on the clock
Personally I'd pass on the GAS low pressure cap; the cap only comes into play to open when coolant temp is in overheat range to relieve system over-pressure; under 'normal' operation the system is pressurized to less than 1.2 Bar.
Best of luck...nice very low mileage car! / Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 05-23-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pack horse View Post
The ccv will be easier to replace with the OFH removed.It might be ok but all the plastic will be very brittle.I would replace while you have easier access.

Your list is comprehensive,you could clean the throttle body and the ICV .Renew the TB gasket and any worn vacuum lines. Check intake boots for cracks.

Personally I would leave the ABS module alone and just flush the fluid at the discs.
Thanks about reminding me to clean the TB and ICV. I will order a new TB gasket as well. I do have the BMW ISTA-D software to properly flush the ABS module. Is there a reason why I shouldn't?
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
I think you are off to a great start and are hitting the vital items that will allow you to enjoy the car once they are addressed.

I know some have had no problems with a flush and it gets a lot more newer transmission fluid in there but I would consider a drain to be safer.

Drain 6 quarts, top off 6 new quarts. Drive 500 miles and then drop the pan, new filter, another 6 quarts and you'll be close to 75 percent new transmission fluid.

I drained my original transmission fluid at 170,000 with mobile 1 atf which may be a little bit to thin even though its shifting nicely and I have no issues. 20,000 miles later the gasket is leaking at one corner so I'm going back in with castrol multi vehichle imported atf. If it blows up I'll save 2 grand for a manual swap.

Here are some helpful tips I have learned about the: ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z), 9.2 quarts/6.5 quarts (8.7 liters/6.1 liters) transmission:

1. The official answer from ZF is that is optimum performance temperature is 80 to 100 c.
2. Most failures are due to improper servicing or lack of servicing - it is very important that the transmission is not leaking and that the level is not less or more than it should be so that it does not overheat or blow any seals.

In heavy nyc traffic in warm weather using INPA I see that I do hit 235 f but if I go on the hwy and drive 65 mph it cools to 210 f within 5 minutes.

It is best to overhaul the cooling and suspension instead of nickeling and diming. I have original ccv and heater hoses at 188,000 but have spare parts ready for not if but when they fail.
Thanks, good tips! I was going to replace the transmission filter during the first drain but it makes sense to do it on the second.
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Heater hoses: I'd do best visual inspection you are able w/manifold in place and decide. I've only replaced the 2 hoses to throttle body; all others down there look good, zero leakage- car is 98 w/213K miles on the clock
Personally I'd pass on the GAS low pressure cap; the cap only comes into play to open when coolant temp is in overheat range to relieve system over-pressure; under 'normal' operation the system is pressurized to less than 1.2 Bar.
Best of luck...nice very low mileage car! / Bill
Thanks Bill. I will inspect the hoses and take it from there. I see the GAS low pressure cap as an added insurance in case the car overheats due to a faulty fan clutch or electric fan. It may help protect my investment to the other new cooling parts that could crack due to a higher pressure.
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post
Thanks Bill. I will inspect the hoses and take it from there. I see the GAS low pressure cap as an added insurance in case the car overheats due to a faulty fan clutch or electric fan. It may help protect my investment to the other new cooling parts that could crack due to a higher pressure.
...the best 'added insurance' if/when you see the temp. go above normal is to turn the motor off like NOW. The analog temp. gauges in these cars are electronically dampened, so when you see a needle move to the right you can know motor is already pretty toasty and may be moving QUICKLY to overheat. More than a few unknowing folks have cooked their BMW motor by driving the car with needle in red zone for just couple of minutes, aluminum block and head = watch the high temp operation carefully!

Gary makes quality stuff; the cap is nice looking piece, too bad it's only visible when one opens the hood
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
...the best 'added insurance' if/when you see the temp. go above normal is to turn the motor off like NOW. The analog temp. gauges in these cars are electronically dampened, so when you see a needle move to the right you can know motor is already pretty toasty and may be moving QUICKLY to overheat. More than a few unknowing folks have cooked their BMW motor by driving the car with needle in red zone for just couple of minutes, aluminum block and head = watch the high temp operation carefully!

Gary makes quality stuff; the cap is nice looking piece, too bad it's only visible when one opens the hood
In that case, I guess a AAA membership should be in my list of things to purchase too. Thanks
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:17 AM

+1 on AAA. Get the membership that offers up to 100 miles/tow. (I had a cooling system failure and had the car flatbedded 94 miles, at AAA's expense)

NEVER let any tow truck driver place hooks onto the front or rear suspension components, NEVER - that's a no-no with Bimmers; even if the car is on a flatbed, have the guy tie the car down with straps over/thru the wheels (a flatbed is the only sensible way to tow one of these babies).

Good Luck/Bil

Last edited by Wgosma; 05-23-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post
Thanks about reminding me to clean the TB and ICV. I will order a new TB gasket as well. I do have the BMW ISTA-D software to properly flush the ABS module. Is there a reason why I shouldn't?
If you have the software that's ok otherwise it would be a visit to BMW at great expense lol .

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search