Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: '95 525i & '00 540i Wagon
Rear Seatbelt Problem on 2000 540i Wagon... Help Appreciated!

My drivers side rear seatbelt going into the pillar is out about 2" and won't go in or out... just stuck there. It looks to be quite a pain to get at the part that's probably at fault and I don't have a service manual to help with the job. I searched all the boards but can't find anyone with a similar issue. Anyone ever have a similar issue and have advice for a fix? If anyone can point me in the direction of a service manual download that would also be appreciated! I downloaded a free one for my e34 but haven't been able to locate for the e39 yet.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Dont know if this helps or not but here ya go.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e39/54...y)/Seat_belts/
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks that link helps and will bookmark for future reference. The seatbelt section doesn't really show what needs to come off to get to the reel. If you or anyone knows exactly where it's located and what needs to come off, that help is also appreciated!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2000, 528i wagon
I'm having the same issue, anyone have any tips?

thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This is in the best links under 'seat belt' ...

- How to replace and repair the seat belt & pretensioner (1)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveTwoWagons View Post
If anyone can point me in the direction of a service manual download
I won't say more other than to say for the umpteenth time that what you seek is actually trivial to find had you only searched for about two seconds the way I tell everyone to search.

Take that as a hint - as you'll see the answer in hundreds of my posts.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I won't say more other than to say for the umpteenth time that what you seek is actually trivial to find had you only searched for about two seconds the way I tell everyone to search...
I have searched and so far found no answer to the question I originally posted above... anyone ever have a similar wagon seatbelt jamming issue and have advice for a fix? Actually as I stated in #3 post above, the responses although helpful really didn't answer my question and probably not his either. The online service manual doesn't explain what has to come off a wagon or even where the reel is and I dug through that site quite a bit. I think he wants to know that as well as I still do so if anyone knows EXACTLY where the rear outer reel is located (under the seat, under a panel, etc) and what parts need to come off a WAGON to get to it, that help is appreciated. We don't want to take stuff off blindly when there might be an easier way!

Last edited by HaveTwoWagons; 11-20-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I have searched and so far found no answer to the question I originally posted above... anyone ever have a similar wagon seatbelt jamming issue and have advice for a fix? ...
Actually, I was talking about the online E39 Bentley manual in my prior post - and - I didn't want to say too much - except to hint where they could easily be found - so it's my fault for not being clear about what I was referring to. Sorry about that.

As for the seatbelt tensioner, a quick search for 'locked seatbelt' found this thread which seems similar in some ways:
- General BMW > Seatbelt wrapped around the headrest (need help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive View Post
I tried moving the seat forward, backward, tilted, headrest up, headrest down, but, I just can't unlock that seat belt. Each time, it just got tighter and tighter.
I pulled and tugged and relaxed and tugged and pulled and tugged and relaxed and tugged for at least 15 or 20 minutes. The seatbelt ratchet is locked so tightly that the belt can't be pulled forward more than 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch ... which isn't enough to release the tension lock.
One of the suggestions was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingalie View Post
remove star bolt at bottom belt on underside of seat and untangle
Another suggestion was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip View Post
Have you tried driving the car?

The seat belts are locked down as if they tensed sudden deceleration (you and the kids tugging on the belts). Perhaps driving the car in a normal fashion around the block will reset them. Or allow you to "gently" pull on it to release the tension.
Quote:
The online service manual doesn't explain what has to come off a wagon or even where the reel is and I dug through that site quite a bit....
I would have thought the Bentleys would have covered it; but, as we all know, the Bentleys stink at times:
- Do others feel the Bentley manuals are useless for some DIY tasks (1)

In fact, an E39-only search for "touring seat belt stuck" found this thread which echoed your same dismay at the Bentleys for the Touring model:
- e39 middle seat belt locked retracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06king View Post
The Bentley states only the standard sedan seat is covered, so no help there in that great big thick tech manual!!
And, I think, you've already been pointed to the online TIS but maybe this will help:
- Where to get the BMW TIS for technical service bulletins (1) (2)

A more generic E39-only search nets only a few similar threads, e.g.:
- Rear Seatbelt Retractor Stuck

I would think the realoem diagram might show how the seatbelts are connected to the vehicle though ...

Last edited by bluebee; 11-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM

Thanks for all that it's way past bedtime now but will do some more digging through those links tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
My drivers side rear seatbelt going into the pillar is out about 2" and won't go in or out... just stuck there. It looks to be quite a pain to get at the part that's probably at fault and I don't have a service manual to help with the job. I searched all the boards but can't find anyone with a similar issue. Anyone ever have a similar issue and have advice for a fix? If anyone can point me in the direction of a service manual download that would also be appreciated! I downloaded a free one for my e34 but haven't been able to locate for the e39 yet.
I assume that you're referring to #1 in the first diagram below (diagrams from realoem.com):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...88&hg=72&fg=05

(mounting parts diagram for rear seat belts)

And here's the diagram for the C-pillar trim (4,5,9,10,11,12) are the panel & fasteners that hold it to the car (encircled numbers are HARDWARE so see the inner index for illustration of hardware):

And below is a direct link to the online BMW TIS instructions for removing the C pillar trim. The links along the top of the page are "live"...so you can click on them to go back and find how I worked my way to these instructions (in case you need to come back later, or go back to look at other instructions you may need in the general vacinity):
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-21-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
And below is a direct link to the online BMW TIS instructions for removing the C pillar trim.
I wish I knew how to find stuff like QSilver does!

I'm constantly amazed at what you can find ... and that you, unlike me, don't ever seem to get upset that others don't find what you can.

Kudos to you!

EDIT: For my part, I added this thread to the bestlinks references so that others can find this information more easily.
- How to unlock a seat belt or to loosen a stuck seatbelt (1) (2)
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 530D touring
This thread has been very interesting (especially as a newcomer) but unfortunately it has not solved my problem. I lowered the seat back of my E39 Touring Wagon and the centre seat belt jammed such that I could not get the seat back to return to the upright position. I removed the complete belt mechanism by taking the back off the seat etc etc but with the belt mechanism in my hand and the Bowden cable (which attaches to the seat back lock and tells the seat belt that the seat back is upright and locked) connected, whatever I do (tilt, tug, loosen slow pull, fast pull, bowden cable in, out, I cannot release any belt from the spool. Is there some way of doing this? The car has already been into a BMW dealer a while ago and I got charged over $400 to get this sorted but they did manage to unspool the belt so it can be done. (unless they gave me a new one and charged me for it).

I think the problem arose because the belt retracted too far because I did not have the guide installed through which the belt passes at the top of the seat and the little button would have stopped the belt being wound further in. That theory is supported by the fact that a new belt comes with a clip that keeps quite a length of the belt unspooled.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Give this a try:
http://www.dot6.co.uk/a003-seatbelts.htm
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
E39 Touring / Wagon Stuck Jammed Twisted Seatbelt DIY

I had the same problem with my 2003 525iT. I found that it was simple to fix. In fact while fixing the left rear seatbelt, my 3yr old daughter thought she could help by "fixing" the right seatbelt. She jammed it and I had to fix that one as well

You can remove the C-Pillar cover by simply pulling the top towards the center of the car (pic 1). Then, you will have access to the reel (pic 2)where you can untwist the belt.

I hope this helps.
-T-Bass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CPILLAR COVER.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	336193   Click image for larger version

Name:	TWISTED SEATBELT.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	336194  
Old 05-19-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 540 Touring E39
Smile

Quote:
I was just about to tear my rear seat open (540i, 1999) when I thought I would check here first. Seat belt appear to be jammed and had been for over a year; I was going to transport 4 kids from school on Tuesday so needed all seats operational. Read many different quotes but one said seat needs to be closed hard (slammed). Now I'm always wary about slamming anything on my car as it normally breaks something but went out and just tried whacking the backrest into position really hard; 'hey presto' seat belt operates perfectly. Delighted. Mike
Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 540 Touring E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fman View Post
I was just about to tear my rear seat open (540i, 1999) when I thought I would check here first. Seat belt appear to be jammed and had been for over a year; I was going to transport 4 kids from school on Tuesday so needed all seats operational. Read many different quotes but one said seat needs to be closed hard (slammed). Now I'm always wary about slamming anything on my car as it normally breaks something but went out and just tried whacking the backrest into position really hard; 'hey presto' seat belt operates perfectly. Delighted. Mike
If you look on google for E39 manual there is normally a site indicated to get PDF copy of manual; I got one last year when Mass Air Flow sensor was playing up and saved a small fortune!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: FZ-1
Rear Seatbelt Problem on 2000 540i Wagon... Help Appreciated!

Tbass thank you!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 6
I sprayed a lil crisco in my reel no smell and got it turbo speed,and it was twisted. Me and my oilve oil.LOL
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Wish I was in Toronto

Send a message via AIM to ACS-B
Mein Auto: 325iX-M3-525iTa-M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass View Post
I had the same problem with my 2003 525iT. I found that it was simple to fix. In fact while fixing the left rear seatbelt, my 3yr old daughter thought she could help by "fixing" the right seatbelt. She jammed it and I had to fix that one as well

You can remove the C-Pillar cover by simply pulling the top towards the center of the car (pic 1). Then, you will have access to the reel (pic 2)where you can untwist the belt.

I hope this helps.
-T-Bass
this did the trick for me, thanks tbass!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ZD View Post
Tbass thank you!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ditto Thanks TB!