Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nickertot
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i
Subwoofer opinions?

I have a 10" kicker comp that I am planning to put where the ski pole "hole" is. and then build a bracket to bump it into the trunk so the seat will fold up all the way. then a box, of course, behind it to make sure the sound enters and stays in the cabin of the car

do you think this is a good idea?
or do you think there are better ideas that I am not thinking of?
Ads by Google
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 540i 6sp '01 X5 4.4
My sub sits in the corner above the battery
Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to nickertot
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i
do you get much bass in the actual cabin of the car though. because I read somewhere where people say that they don't get much bass if they do that
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i
Ported or sealed box? Basically doing a forward firing sealed truck build.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

The best solution that blends performance, ease of build & with minimal trunk space loss, value for money and efficiency is indeed the 'fire through the ski hatch' method which uses a sealed design. The 'over the battery' design is less efficient but for some, it is acceptable. The main difference between the two methods is that the 'best' one potentially provides the best musical 'bass' output given the positives I mention above and the over battery method perhaps might provide more 'vibrational' bass depending on how much RMS power the chosen amplifier is. A side effect which potentially (most likely) will occur is rattling of the trunklid and number plate, this can be reduced with extra spend for panel damping / sound deadening material and fit.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 540i
I made a small box the size of the rear arm rest and put a polk 8" in it. Put the amp in place of the CD changer. Used the leather from the arm to cover the box with a little fluff for cushion.

Max volume gets past its limits of sounding good, but for most normal driving it does the job great and ads trunk space.

1997 BMW 540i
Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Hope this gives you some ideas. I got Blaupunkt XLf 200A 8" 300Watt Powered Subwoofer that fits perfectly in the rear armrest encloser- great sound right in the interior; it's amazing. I love it and its colors match the gray interior of my car. I very rarely have a third passenger in the rear seat and if I do, I just temporarily place the sub in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XLf200A_Birdview_Complete_reduced25_07.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	426397   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-16T14-05-15_79.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	426398  

Last edited by musa; 03-04-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Hi,

The powered 'slimline' subwoofers idea can work as shown by Musa above. The trick is to find one 'slim' enough to fit as they all vary. I think the particular blaupunkt there was discontinued quite some time ago !

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i
Finally just finish cutting the hole thru the back seat and let me tell you that the bass improvement is significant to before when the back was sealed.
Im a happy camper now

Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCooper! View Post
Hi,

The powered 'slimline' subwoofers idea can work as shown by Musa above. The trick is to find one 'slim' enough to fit as they all vary. I think the particular blaupunkt there was discontinued quite some time ago !

Cheers, Dennis!
Actually, it's very much in production. I bought mine July last year. Works great off my eonon head unit.

http://www.blaupunkt.com/us/nc/produ...s/single/4247/

Also available in Amazon for around $200.
http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-300-...ords=blaupunkt
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Hi Musa,

Apologies, yes it is a current model ! I was getting muddled with an older item also from Blaupunkt !

As an aside, here in the UK the price for the exact same model is the equivalent (currently) of $316 USD! - You guys in the USA always get the best pricing for everything and I'm always jealous/envious !!

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM

Something is weird i just dont know what it is.
I put two 8 inch on the back deck and when im parked in the garage it sounds amazing real good bass and sound.
But once i take it out for a drive the sound gets worst and the bass disappear
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528iBMW99 View Post
Something is weird i just dont know what it is.
I put two 8 inch on the back deck and when im parked in the garage it sounds amazing real good bass and sound.
But once i take it out for a drive the sound gets worst and the bass disappear

Hi,

Post a few good clear pictures of what you've done in terms of installing the subwoofers, and the amplifier etc you are using etc. If you can also describe things and also the rest of the audio setup that'll help in perhaps determining what's going wrong

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Post a few good clear pictures of what you've done in terms of installing the subwoofers, and the amplifier etc you are using etc. If you can also describe things and also the rest of the audio setup that'll help in perhaps determining what's going wrong

Cheers, Dennis!
Nothing Fancy really, just something simple.
Installed the Clarion NX602 which replaced a single din unit that previous owner had in there, no EQ, im using a SONY X 800W amp and the two 8 inch woofers which i had in a box but wouldn't do any justice, i open two holes in the back deck and placed the two 8inch there hook them up to the amp and vuala.
I hooked up to the existing harness in the back from the rear speakers to use the amp but with the new head unit i ran RC cables from unit to amp not using the harness from the back anymore.
Maybe i dont have the levels set up correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0105.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	429973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0118.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	429974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0132.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	429975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0137.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	429976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	429977  

Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Hi,

I've not heard of sycho sound as a brand before, and a quick search reveals they seem to be a budget brand. Also the subwoofers you are using are meant for sealed enclosures and not 'free air' as you are using them. So that's the first point which is incorrect. The Sony amplifier is not a unit giving Real 800W RMS output, it's likely to be perhaps around 200W or so RMS.

I'd say you need to choose better subwoofers and amplifier to power them. Getting free air subwoofers to work requires much more insight into volumes of the 'trunk' area they'll be playing in as well as sturdy mounting methods. Done well and properly, Free air subs can sound fantastic, but you can't just 'throw them in' as you've done here.

When you are parked in your garage, there's no extra noise and the garage itself acts like an enclosure, in which you are standing, so any bass produced is going to stay there - do you have your trunk open when you are in the garage? or is it shut? Once you go out for a drive, you aren't driving those subwoofers in the right way and you have all the extra noise you get when driving - road, drivetrain and wind etc.

For the level of sound upgrade you are looking for, then by far the best blend of performance, efficiency, value for money and a DIY'able solution is to have a sealed enclosure with the subwoofer firing into the cabin directly through the ski hatch as I mention in reply number 5 of this thread

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I've not heard of sycho sound as a brand before, and a quick search reveals they seem to be a budget brand. Also the subwoofers you are using are meant for sealed enclosures and not 'free air' as you are using them. So that's the first point which is incorrect. The Sony amplifier is not a unit giving Real 800W RMS output, it's likely to be perhaps around 200W or so RMS.

I'd say you need to choose better subwoofers and amplifier to power them. Getting free air subwoofers to work requires much more insight into volumes of the 'trunk' area they'll be playing in as well as sturdy mounting methods. Done well and properly, Free air subs can sound fantastic, but you can't just 'throw them in' as you've done here.

When you are parked in your garage, there's no extra noise and the garage itself acts like an enclosure, in which you are standing, so any bass produced is going to stay there - do you have your trunk open when you are in the garage? or is it shut? Once you go out for a drive, you aren't driving those subwoofers in the right way and you have all the extra noise you get when driving - road, drivetrain and wind etc.

For the level of sound upgrade you are looking for, then by far the best blend of performance, efficiency, value for money and a DIY'able solution is to have a sealed enclosure with the subwoofer firing into the cabin directly through the ski hatch as I mention in reply number 5 of this thread

Cheers, Dennis!
Totally understand.
These woofers came out a box that was given to me by my cousin same as the amp he had it in his hatchback and sounded nice, nothing extreme you know but nice.
In the Bimma trunk i could barely hear the box and that was after cutting the ski hatch so i decided to try the deck instead.
Makes perfect sense that it will sound good inside the garage because of the closed in environment.
I will do some research to see if i can find some decent Buffle woofers if not then ill just go get me a 10inch bandpass box and change amp as well.

Another question, does the factory set up comes with an amp for the door speakers and tweeters and rear deck?