Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-26-2014, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540i MSpor-06 X5 4.4i
2000 540i A/c stink. A NEW APPROACH I THINK

So i havent seen this approach yet, i hope it helps, its relatively easy,

it started with hunting down why my a/c doesnt cool as good as my x5s does...i replaced the condenser/compressor/dryer/expansion valve,...fanclutch, nothing worked well in the heat.. finally i got a kit that uses an 80C thermostat...that did the trick, the only i can guess is that the reduced heat of the radiator meant reduced heat soak for the condensor..once it started gettiong really cold, i noticed the smell getting worse..i noticed the drain lines were not realling putting anything out, so i cleaned them out and got lots of water out.. On a side note...my car has always made racket on th eright side of the motor and the front even though i replaced the sliders tensioners and chains .... for some reason, the racket has gone away after the install of the 80c thermostat..weird but awesome

then i cutu the hole in the box and used a friend endoscope and saw the problem, it was covered in green looking crap in there....after the folling procedure it fwas spotless...and it got even colder output from the vents on max, its just about as cold as the x5 now, althought the condensor fan seems to be working overtime, next im replacing the fan clutch with an electronic variable output fan control and fan..

next im going to do the procedure once more time with that klima stuff, i used it in the truck and it worked great.

i took about 1.5 hours taking my time... i was looking at for a ball joint seperator and ran accross something called an engine cleaner.. that uses air and has siphon feed for cleaning solution..and its almost long enough to reach the other side of the core..

1. removed the left side center kick panel to get to the evaporator core box...
2. made a hole as you see in the pics(nothing new here)
3. i used an engine cleaniner thingy i found at northerntool, about a 1 gallon of boiling water , 1 liter of rubbing alcohol, 2 capfuls of bleach. do not let this get on you..or drip anywhere in your car...not to mention boiling water
4. i just started from the close end and worked it in a fanning mottion to the top and bottom and slowly working in and repeating the fanning procedure each time i moved it iin about 5mm..it takes a while, then i justarted working it around the inside of the box, the top, the floor etc etc. .

Last edited by 1hander; 07-26-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540i MSpor-06 X5 4.4i
i forgot to mention, the grip part of the tool, gets super hot from the boiled water... LMAO, you can see the remnants of my drain cleaning adventure, when my arm touched the exhaust pipe

also to cover the hole in the box, i used a master cylinder cap gasket and sized the hole appropriately..it fits in with a little [pressure and does not come out....

soprry for the typos gys, i have only my right hand and when i get going i make mistakes

anyway thanks all of you for your input and guidance, without this place i would far more skiddish of working on my bimmers, with yalls help, i do all of my own maintenance, even the hard stuff.