Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
If the blue paint is not there, I will put it (aligning with the cutout) on the springs before I remove them. Seems like a good idea.
Per the torquing of the strut top nut, here's what I have done. (I'm sure some of you will cringe) In the wheel well (or on the bench), I lifted the strut shaft protector accordian and grabbed the polished strut shaft with a huge channel lock plier. Before you flip, I wrapped the shaft with a 2" x 4" piece of roofing lead and then grabbed the lead with the plier. I then had my wife use an air impact wrench with a 60 ft lb max torque bar. Worked like a champ. No scratches on the shaft and tight.
1986 911 Coupe (track car)
Greater Boston, MA
Old 09-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Your write-ups rock!! You are so well detailed it is unbelievable.

Thanks!
Jared

Last edited by Jared@EAC; 09-22-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
Your right-ups rock!!
Hi Jared,
You can even take the PDFs and burn 'em to CD's to hand to your customers! (giving cn90 his due credit and royalty!).

I, for one, am putting cn90's writeup PDF on my DIY flashcard so that it's always handy in a pinch!

Bluebee

Last edited by bluebee; 09-22-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Bluebee,
The PDFing of this whole DIY is really helpful. Thanks for doing this.
CL
Greater Boston, MA
Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
That is some kick ass DIY write up. Words cannot explain...

EXCELLENT WORK
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Jesus, 30 pages? Screw Bentley, maybe if you worked for BMW you'd get something done. Take over the technical writing department…. Maybe then we'd be able to trust the stealer a bit more.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: Year 1997 E39 M52B25
Awesome write up!

Old 09-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lovell View Post
Bluebee,
The PDFing of this whole DIY is really helpful. Thanks for doing this.
You're welcome. I'm always trying to add value, even a little teeny bit like PDF'ing the DIY to fit on our DIY flash card for future use. I'm sorry I had to split it into 3 documents (to fit under the 1MB upload limit) but I did make all the links clickable and I tried to ensure all the pictures didn't span pages and I made it landscape so that all the text shows up in the color printout.

It's my opinion that cn90 did such an awesome job with this front suspension overhaul that the rest of us should pitch in where we can to make it even more awesome.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Hi bluebee,

Tried to send you a PM but your profile does not accept PM.
Unrelated question: I have standard Acrobat Reader, so I can read PDF but cannot write anything on PDF.
Just curious what PDF software you use (The real Acrobat PDF Full Version is more expensive than BMW E39 2 Thrust Arms LOL!!!).
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
Hi bluebee,

Tried to send you a PM but your profile does not accept PM.
Unrelated question: I have standard Acrobat Reader, so I can read PDF but cannot write anything on PDF.
Just curious what PDF software you use (The real Acrobat PDF Full Version is more expensive than BMW E39 2 Thrust Arms LOL!!!).
All you really need is something like Bullzip PDF printer, which I found with a quick google and didn't worry about potential for malware infection (running in a virtual machine so no issue).

Check out Foxit Reader for your daily PDF reading needs; it's a lot faster and lighter.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 09-23-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
All you really need is something like Bullzip PDF printer, which I found with a quick google and didn't worry about potential for malware infection (running in a virtual machine so no issue).

Check out Foxit Reader for your daily PDF reading needs; it's a lot faster and lighter.
Hi bmw_n00b13,

I want to know which PDF software needed to write (not to read) technical articles.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Hi bmw_n00b13,

I want to know which PDF software needed to write (not to read) technical articles.

Bluebee probably uses the Full Adobe Acrobat with Writer and Distiller. There is a free one called CutePDF that does what Distiller/Writer does. Works on most documents/webpages for basic things but doesn't do things like combining PDFs, create forms, edit PDFs. Think of it like a PDF printer only. Give it a try.

www.cutepdf.com

If you need the editing and combining, maybe, we the forum members can get together and buy you the pro version. It's the least we can do for the great work you do!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Hi bmw_n00b13,

First bit, not second bit . I use the built-in pdf printer on my mac for most stuff but I grabbed this Bullzip PDF reader.

CutePDF is the one I was trying to find when I got the Bullzip thing.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Bluebee probably uses the Full Adobe Acrobat with Writer and Distiller. There is a free one called CutePDF that does what Distiller/Writer does. Works on most documents/webpages for basic things but doesn't do things like combining PDFs, create forms, edit PDFs. Think of it like a PDF printer only. Give it a try.

www.cutepdf.com

If you need the editing and combining, maybe, we the forum members can get together and buy you the pro version. It's the least we can do for the great work you do!
Thanks,

I have cutepdf which is basically a PDF extractor, let' say you want to extract pages 5-10 of a 100-page document, sutepdf can do that but cutepdf cannot write a brand new article..
To WRITE a technical article from scratch, I think you need FULL Acrobat Version.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
1) Regarding the spring in the strut perch. I don't know if this was coincidence on my springs but I noticed on my OEM sport springs (original) there were dabs of blue paint on each turn of the spring all lined up in the same spot...
I think it is coincidence. At any car factory, when a component has been properly fastened, the factory workers typically paint something (like blue paint) as a QA (Quality Assurance) procedure to say that this component has been checked. They simply do a visual check, if they see blue paint ---> good.

Quote:
2) I didn't find the need to use the special tool that CN90 made (spark plug tool) to remove the top bolt. If I recall, you can simply use a 6mm hex key to hold the center spindle while removing the 21mm strut nut with a open end wrench AFTER the whole strut assembly is removed from the car and the spring compressors are put on...
You are correct re 6-mm Allen tool to hold the Strut Rod but the BMW E39 21-mm Nut is deeply recessed! No wrench will fit in there! Trust me.

In contrast, my 1998 Volvo V70 Strut Nut is exposed ---> a standard wrench will fit. See this pic of a 1998 Volvo V70 Strut Nut:

So for the records, BMW E39 Strut NUT requires a "Spark Plug" Type Socket.
(Or Air Tool, see my DIY again, all detail is in there).

Quote:
3) While my Wheel bearings seemed okay as well, I decided to replace them anyway since the strut assembly was out of the way...
Yes, if anyone decides to replace the FRONT bearing, this is the best time when the Strut is out.

Quote:
4) I noticed your Bilsteins had blue bellows. Are those the new versions H1 vs H0s? I had to reuse my old ones. Anyone else install HDs and have the bellows included?..
Bilstein HD Front Struts........VE3B406H1
Bellow included.

Quote:
5) any comment on the HB tool? My experience with a few of them is that the better ones have a longer reach as the prong tends to slide off as more torque is applied...
HF Tool: just take it easy and see my DIY, don't hurry, give the lubricant time to penetrate and time for the BJ to adjust to the pressure from the Ball Joint Remova Tool.

Quote:
...I think the point is less important on the Bilstein HDs as the bottom of the spring coil fit into the angled spring seat on the strut perch whereas the Boge/Sachs for whatever stupid design reason on the new ones does not sit in the seat...
Actually Stock Sachs-Boge and aftermarket Bilstein HD has same setup, same shape and design. Virtually indentical.

The bottom line is whatever factory setup is: copy it.

Last edited by cn90; 10-01-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i (white)
how is the ride quality with the solid bushings instead of the fluid ones? is there any difference or is it just the same (very stock feeling)?

how can you tell if your struts are worn (sorry if I missed that bit)? I know you said you can't judge by mileage...
Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeRay View Post
how is the ride quality with the solid bushings instead of the fluid ones? is there any difference or is it just the same (very stock feeling)?

how can you tell if your struts are worn (sorry if I missed that bit)? I know you said you can't judge by mileage...
It is a night-day difference. No more 50 mph shimmy.
I took the Stock Sachs strut out, press down on the rod and oil leaked out the top!

But in the car, you may have to do the classic test, bouncing the corners of the front.
Or drive slowly through the speed bumps.

Last edited by cn90; 10-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Bluebee probably uses the Full Adobe Acrobat with Writer and Distiller. There is a free one called CutePDF that does what Distiller/Writer does.
Oh my! This is scary. You guys are right on the money! You know exactly what software I'm using w/o me even telling you. I'd better be careful with the information I put out here ... I'm amazed ...

As was stated, I used the professional version of Adobe Acrobat 7 on cn90's DIY (I've had 4, 5, 6, and now 7 which are all just about the same actually.) This is because I wanted his links to be live inside the PDF and because cutePdf didn't preserve all the text that ran off the page for some reason. But Adobe Acrobat Pro converted the portrait pages to landscape (Adobe Acrobat will convert from portrait to landscape mode if it has to shrink the text more than some percentage, I've got that set at 70%).

I didn't need the Distiller which will convert a PostScript file to a PDF file (note any PC can print a PostScript file simply by selecting one of the default PostScript printer drivers and then checking the print-to-file box).

As stated, there are multiple PDF printer drivers that are free. CutePDF is one easiest to use but installation is slightly problematic (apparently my old version of CutePDF first prints to PostScript and then converts that to PDF automagically using a ps2pdf driver).

Other good freeware PDF printer drivers for the Windows platform are:
- PrimoPDF http://www.primopdf.com
- PDFCreator http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator
- FreePDF XP http://freepdfxp.de/fpx732.htm
- Go2PDF virtual PDF printer http://www.go2pdf.com/product.html

There are others like "PDF95" ( http://www.pdf995.com) and "EasyPDF" (http://www.pdfonline.com/easypdf) but they are onerous by having watermarks or adware annoyances so I wouldn't recommend them.

For Linux users, in addition to ps2pdf, there is:
- PDF TK & PDF TK GUI: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk & http://www.paehl.de/pdf/?GUI_for_PDFTK

Nowadays, lots of programs will save files as PDF, e.g., OpenOffice, I think, has an export as PDF option (http://www.openoffice.org).

The good news is there are many freeware applications out there to mess with PDF files.

For example, you can download a BMW document which might have restrictions on printing, selecting, page editing, deleting of pages - and, simply REMOVE ALL RESTRICTIONS with the freeware programs below:

GHOSTSCRIPT:
- INFO: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/GPL/gpl861.htm
- DOWNLOAD: http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirror...1/gs861w32.exe

GSVIEW:
- INFO: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get49.htm
- DOWNLOAD: http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirror...m/gsv49w32.exe

PS2EDIT (an additional conversion program):
- INFO http://www.fam-glunz.de/pstoedit/
- DOWNLOAD http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/p...5.exe?download

Oh oh. Now you REALLY know too much about what I'm doing! ...

PS: While the professional version of Adobe Acrobat has a text editing tool, nobody in their right mind would actually write native in PDF ... well ... if they'd put monroe shocks on their E39, then, maybe they'd write native in the Adobe Acrobat Pro editor ... but I wouldn't even think of it. The good thing about the Adobe Acrobat Editor is that it can convert an entire web site to a single linked PDF.

For example, if I pointed it at www.bimmerfest.com, I could tell it how deeply to go and what trees to follow (e.g., don't jump up and don't jump off the site and go down three levels, etc.), and the ENTIRE WEB SITE would turn into a giant clickable linked PDF file. I generally print web pages flat, i.e., only 1 or 2 levels deep. You can't imagine how huuuuuuge some of these web sites get when you try to archive them to PDF. Some are ten thousand pages long!

Last edited by bluebee; 09-23-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:16 AM

This is OT, but, I wonder if I should tell you about Recosoft PDF2OFFICE ... (it goes the other way, converting PDF to Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, but it's not freeware).

(this is what a program manager does all day, every day ... when not brooding over the next fix to my bimmer ... )
Old 09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Thanks for that Bluebee. As I said earlier, I thought it would be nice if we can help CN90 with some technical writing using PDF files. As he pointed out, Adobe Full Version is quite pricey. Perhaps, and this is only a suggestion, we (you) could send CN90 your copy of v6 since you are using v7 and they are all about the same.

Pardon me, if my suggestion is out of line, but the other thought I had was getting a "donation" together to buy CN90 a copy of some PDF software for him to use. Just some thoughts as how to help CN90 with all the helpful DIY write-ups that has provided us over the years. Again, I have no right to ask you to send someone something- just a thought....

Last edited by dvsgene; 09-23-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
As he pointed out, Adobe Full Version is quite pricey
My company owns my copy. They pay for it. And they pay the upgrade price which is lower than the full price. So it's not something I can do (plus Adobe started with Version 7 doing Internet licensing where it checks periodically. They didn't do that with version 6 so your idea would ONLY work with 6 and below ... but that's a technical aside).

Anyway, it's a moot point. I'll repeat. Nobody but nobody ever creates content in the Adobe Acrobat program. Sure, they call it an "editor" but it's just a fancy printer program (see some of the things I mentioned, for example, about converting web pages to PDF documents).

So, cn90 doesn't need Adobe Acrobat. All he needs is one of the freeware printer drivers. The beauty of PDF is that you can edit in any program you feel like editing in, and then just print that result, WYSIWYG, to PDF using any of the printer drivers mentioned.

Anyway, maybe we should take this over to another thread specifically on what software to use to publish documents. That's what I do every day all day when I'm not fretting over my bimmer!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post

Anyway, maybe we should take this over to another thread specifically on what software to use to publish documents. That's what I do every day all day when I'm not fretting over my bimmer!

Good Idea. I know there are many programs that do what Acrobat does but CN90 specifically mentioned writing in PDF. Maybe he just mean annotating existing PDFs...not sure.

Maybe you guys can take it offline and figure out if there is something that will do what he would like in the open source domain since this is your area of expertise.

For me, CutePDf and Nitro PDF does all I need to do. Of cos, my needs and his are different or so it seems.

Last edited by dvsgene; 09-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 AM

Jason, CN90, Jared, others,
I am preparing to replace the front end suspension: both control arms, shocks, and bearings. The DIYs are great. but I would like to know the sequence of removal and replacement. There are a few comments eluding to removal or installing in the wrong sequence and the need to redo.
I suspect this is obvious but something like in this order: sway bar link, tie rod ball joint, thrust arm ball joint, control arm ball joint, strut assembly, thrust arm bearing bolt, etc.... would be even better for me.
Thanks all.
CL
Greater Boston, MA
Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lovell View Post
Jason, CN90, Jared, others,
I am preparing to replace the front end suspension: both control arms, shocks, and bearings. The DIYs are great. but I would like to know the sequence of removal and replacement. There are a few comments eluding to removal or installing in the wrong sequence and the need to redo.
I suspect this is obvious but something like in this order: sway bar link, tie rod ball joint, thrust arm ball joint, control arm ball joint, strut assembly, thrust arm bearing bolt, etc.... would be even better for me.
Thanks all.
CL
I detailed everything in my DIY, but basically:
1. Loosen all bolts and nuts and stop when the nuts are flushed with the bolts.

2. Loosen the Strut PINCH BOLT, lift the Strut up a few inches to expose the bearing bolts.
- Do not completely remove the Strut from the car yet.
- You need the strut partially in place to keep the Steering Knuckle from turning when you undo the Bearing Four (4) 18-mm Bolts.

3. Replace the Bearing and tighten the new bolts to spec.

4. To remove the Strut, disconnect ONLY Swaybar Endlinks and Tierods Outer BJ to allow the Steering Knuckle to drop so the Strut can come out.

5. Now remove the Strut, Compress the Spring, replace the Strut, Guide, Rubber Pads. Hand-Tighten the 22-mm Nut (final torquing in the car). Release the Compressor and leave the Strut Assembly alone outside of the car for now because once it is in, you cannot replace the Thrust Arm or Bearing.

6. Replace Thrust Arms, Control Arms and Hand-Tighten the Subframe 18-mm nuts (when done, you should be able to turn these 18-mm nuts with your fingers, i.e. tight enough to hold the Arms but still allow the Bushing to move when you lower the car) and BJ 22-mm Nut (final torquing in the car).

7. Replace Tierods, again hand-tighten the nuts and bolts.

8. New Swaybar Endlinks.

9. New Swaybar Bushings (the pass side will make you swear!!! Read the DIY!). You can tighten these 13-mm nuts to spec when doing this part.

8. Once all components are replaced and verified to be in place:
- Jack the Steering Knuckle slowly while watching the Strut bottom in and correctly lined up R vs L.
- Tighten the Pinch Bolt/Nut to spec. Now the Strut holds the Steering Knuckle tight.
- Go around the car and tighten ALL bolts to spec EXCEPT for 18-mm nuts on the subframe side of the Thrust Arms and Control Arms.
- Lower the car and drive up slowly on ramps, apply parking brake and chock the wheels.
- Now Tighten the 18-mm nuts on the subframe side of the Thrust Arms and Control Arms to spec. For this step: some people placed 150 lbs each front seats and center rear seat, full gas tank. This is kind of an@l-paranoid procedure from BMW engineers. My 1998 Volvo V70 requires car on ground but no extra weights needed.

What I did: full gas tank, my 16-yr old and 11-yr old on the front seats and that is good enough for me. I am not as an@l-paranoid as BMW engineers.

Then Alignment comes in:
- Do it at alignment shop ($70-80)
- Or DIY as in my write-up. My car now tracks straight and tight at 60-80 mph, no shimmy!

Last edited by cn90; 09-24-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Just PERFECT! I know this was in the DIY writeup but this summary really helps.
Many thanks from me and the 50,000 others who are interested.
CL
Greater Boston, MA