Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
E83 saved my bacon big-time

After the usual beating on call last night, I decided to take the backroads home. It was a nice starry night, and by midnight, I was almost home. The last stretch through this area of "sou' cen'rul" PA is mostly cornfield with some open highway. Anyway - I was kind of in my own world and listening to some Peter Murphy. Not falling asleep or anything, but relaxed.

...and then I noticed some brown thing coming into my field of view at 3:00 and I thought "huh, funny wonder what tha - OHFUUUUUUUUUUU - "

I hit the brakes, and before I could even disengage the clutch, I was nearly stopped (from about 55 or so) after a nice epinephrine-laced blast of ABS. Once I was breathing normally again, I looked back and realised I had driven in between two deer....of a family crossing the road.

Being an old E30 fan and used to that flyweight, I was astonished at how well the E83 can bleed off speed AND maintain handling.

There has some to be some good engineering in there for that fat whale to stop like that!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Yup, it's that time of year again- deer season. Drive with caution.

Good to hear the brakes were there for you. That's what German cars are about.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Yup, it's that time of year again- deer season. Drive with caution.

Good to hear the brakes were there for you. That's what German cars are about.
It is always deer (or, gulp, MOOSE) season here in the Great White North!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Good you are ok and were able to feel how great brakes our X3's have. They have amazed me several times too. BMW brakes are one of the best out there, 50/50 weight distribution, dynamic brake control, ABS, big discs, and the right composition in pad material, makes the best combination. And I gotta say.....thanks for brake dust! Every week when cleaning the wheels, I do it knowing that is there for a reason.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
And I gotta say.....thanks for brake dust! Every week when cleaning the wheels, I do it knowing that is there for a reason.
Agreed - I tried changing to another brand on my old Z3. Dust on the wheels was gone but I lost braking power. I was not happy about that. I am living with the dust on my X3.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
-- this is just the greatness of the 3 series architecture baked into the X3 that everyone likes to trash and look at other brands over -- Forester, Q5, GLK, Volvo? please. When you start with a 3 series bimmer and build your small suv on that DNA, youre gonna have a dynamically excellent vehicle. Warts and all, its just better.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
-- this is just the greatness of the 3 series architecture baked into the X3 that everyone likes to trash and look at other brands over -- Forester, Q5, GLK, Volvo? please. When you start with a 3 series bimmer and build your small suv on that DNA, youre gonna have a dynamically excellent vehicle. Warts and all, its just better.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 93 325is
To true

"I am the Stig"
Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
BMW have been backing its great performance with excellent brake systems for years (easy to get a car quickly to 60 - even more important to give that fast car great stopping power)

Ever since I can remember, BMWs were part of only a few brands out there to have not only disk brakes all around, but ventilated disks on all fours! Something only the selected top brands used to offer back when I had my 325i E36.

Quote:
+1
Don't know al the facts and figures, but my guess is the 3-Series have been BMWs most successful range for many years. And with the X3 (based on that architecture), even with all its glitches, the X3 has till recently (since 2004) been the leader in its class - fact! The rest only followed, later (including the Q5).

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Well said. I know that if I get anything other than an X3 for my next vehicle (except maybe an X5) I will always miss my X3. I noticed the BMW braking when I got my first X3 in '04 and have always known it was way above any other. Brake dust is just a cost of doing business.
I'm off to the dealer now to consider my end of lease options. Having looked at the CTS, RDX,TL,SRX,and some others, it always comes back to the X3.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
For an SUV, the X3 definitely has good brakes and handling. I went into a parkway exit at an ill-advised speed and had to pitch it into a sharp turn while hard on the brakes. Considerable understeer and body lean, but the car was stable and made it through the turn without activating the stability control. The guilty escape unpunished.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelahti View Post
For an SUV, the X3 definitely has good brakes and handling. I went into a parkway exit at an ill-advised speed and had to pitch it into a sharp turn while hard on the brakes. Considerable understeer and body lean, but the car was stable and made it through the turn without activating the stability control. The guilty escape unpunished.
Try not braking while turning. Reduces the load on the front wheels and is generally safer. It's one of the many things one learns at a performance driving school. Admittedly, the "don't brake while turning" is a hard habit to break.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 AM

Indeed... new to the X3 and feeling the power of the brakes. I have to get used to not stomping on the brakes like I did on my old car!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Not braking hard in a turn is good advice, but I would trade understeer for running off the road. Had to scrub off 40 mph fast before the entry of a dogleg, off camber turn. The choice was the brakes or the boondocks. Bonehead driving on my part, but many SUV's wold have overturned under those circumstances.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelahti View Post
Not braking hard in a turn is good advice, but I would trade understeer for running off the road. Had to scrub off 40 mph fast before the entry of a dogleg, off camber turn. The choice was the brakes or the boondocks. Bonehead driving on my part, but many SUV's wold have overturned under those circumstances.
Gotta thank EBV for brake balancing in that kind of situation
Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Try not braking while turning. Reduces the load on the front wheels and is generally safer. It's one of the many things one learns at a performance driving school. Admittedly, the "don't brake while turning" is a hard habit to break.
Brake before turning - at least one good habit I learnt from riding bike all these years. But I guess when you're in the turn and need to slow down more, then braking is the sensible thing to do . Well, at least our X3's have most of the goodies to correct our mistakes .

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
What a clever fellow.

Mein Auto: Autos & motos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post
Brake before turning - at least one good habit I learnt from riding bike all these years. But I guess when you're in the turn and need to slow down more, then braking is the sensible thing to do . Well, at least our X3's have most of the goodies to correct our mistakes .
You need to practice this at an autocross or HPDE-type event, but the proper technique (as LvdB and AzNMpower32 allude) is to brake HARD while in a straight line, then release. If you must brake more, trail brake into the turn, but you need to be getting on the power as soon as you're at the apex to rotate the car on through the turn. You don't want a lot of pushing/understeer going into the curve.

A driving school will teach you to react by allowing the ABS to work (if ABS isn't engaging, you're not using your maximum braking potential on the street; of course that's different on the track where you want to stay on the edge of locking up but not cross that threshold). I had never really felt ABS work until my first BMW Performance Driving School in Spartanburg. They focused a lot on accident avoidance there, and was well worth the experience.

Of course with animals, you must evaluate the potential risk between hitting the animal but staying straight in the road, versus swerving to miss, which may cause a much worse accident depending on road condtions & speed. Living in the rural southeast, I've had more than my share of deer encounters, and usually hitting them is better than trying to play dodgeball. They can only tear up so much, but you're much better off taking a frontal imapct with a flesh and bone animal than ending up in a roll-over or hitting a tree because you swerved and lost control.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

There is of course another evasive manoeuvre. Pop the hand brake, counter steer and floor the gas! But then again, that's the stunts we tried when we were younger (and too clever for words ) - thought we were drifting pros . Not quite what we have in mind for safe driving in our X3's...

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d