Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: E39 523i M52 Cosmoshwartz
E39 - V8 Conversion

My M52 is starting to smoke like there is no tomorrow. Oil was going into intake manifold even with a new CCV, intake manifold gasket, cleaned ICV etc. I installed a catch can between the valve cover breather and CCV and now the smoke has just gotten even worse. The compression was at 180psi with smallest reading like 175psi on only two cylinders.

Car blows a massive puff of smoke on startup and then keeps blowing it. Before the intake manifold was coated in oil. Then after the catch can install there is no oil getting into the catch can! I am thinking this increased crankcase pressure slightly enough to make the rings blowby more.

Engine has done 130k miles and the steptronic ZF 5HP19 is screwed also. All indicators pointing to worn clutches and sounds like something is broken in there. I have bought another car to drive around for now so downtime isn't much of a problem, even if it is 1 year from now.

My options:

1. Rebuild the M52... what's my options with the Nikasil bores? is it worth it? Even with a replacement low mileage block I still have 170hp (523i) Then I need to spend another $3k on rebuilding the transmission because this will have to be exchange from ZF australia or done in the shop.

2. E36V8.com style 302 windsor conversion. (170kw/228hp | 185kW/248hp in the 1997 versions) In Australia we have these motors Everywhere! I can basically sell the screwed M52 and box and buy a complete 302 EFI engine/box/loom w/ all accessories. Is there much difference between the E36 and E39 mounts? I am thinking of buying their mounts if they fit or modify them if they are slightly off. Otherwise mounts and box xmember aren't that difficult.
+ bonus with this mod is that I can get the M5 kit and have myself a bit of M5 faker goodness that no one would even tell if they didn't know bimmers.

I'd say with the swap motor for motor and parts needed... fabrication parts and modded shaft would cost me about $2-3k... or less.

I know it's downgrading somewhat going from silky smooth BMW to ford, however I am sick of BMW engines and their cost of maintenance and parts are virtually nowhere. I paid $15 for a transmission pan gasket and filter for the ford... paid $86 for the filter for the bimmer and $25 for the gasket from the cheapest place (-30% on the stealership for everything) in my city. Parts are just everywhere for the Fords here in Australia.

Also the other option would be a 6 cylinder ford 4L engine. The AU (1999-2003) falcons made 172 kW (231 hp) from their VCT 4L and I can get the engine and boxes all day long for about $200 each with very low mileage. (Same motor as in our taxis lol) These things respond well to boost btw, 400rwhp+ on under 15psi of a solid build motor.
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i 6 Speed
Ls1.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 AM

Too expensive... I just want the car to work without blowing smoke everywhere. I don't have enough money or time to start conversions like that.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Boost addict

Mein Auto: M54 turbo Hi-5
There is alot you could do here. But converting from one make to another is tricky. I have done it before and there are more surprises than they tell you about. The bmw engine is a better quality engine, unless you are comparing a high-end crate ford engine, but then the price will be alot of $$$ too.

1) Slap in a m54 engine (235 hp) and tranny, if you don't want a beast, just alittle more power. Before the engine goes in, put some headers on it, port the exhaust head ports for more power, and you have a reasonable solution. These engines can be had for $1,500 in great shape.

2) Get the BMW V-8 (282 hp version) engine and throw a couple mods on it before installing. Price? Dunno.

3) Alot more pricey, but a M3 S54 engine $3500, or M5 engine $6,000 ---could go in there as well. All are gently used prices with warranty.

Then if someday you need to bring it to a mechanic, they wont cringe every time you show up.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
You have two reasonable choices. Replace the engine and transmission, or buy another car.
Do NOT attempt an engine swap...those a more headaches and dollars than they are worth...I have seen the threads on many forums for various brands of cars...you just switch from spending money on repairs to spending money on dianosis trying to get your swap to work correctly...gauges not working, engine management issues....AC/heater issues... etc., etc.
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikemusic View Post
Too expensive... I just want the car to work without blowing smoke everywhere. I don't have enough money or time to start conversions like that.
Stay with the same type engine or look for another car, engine swap a scary proposition....
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
I would just find another m52. The 30-40 HP gain is not enough to warrant putting a ford product under the hood. The 302 automatic mustangs were slow.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 AM

Well I paid $9900aud ($8217usd) for the car 12 months ago now, and I could probably sell it for about $5500aud ($4565usd)... that's a $4400 loss in a year ($3652usd)

I am starting a business at the moment which is proving to be relatively successful, and was considering selling the engine for some more funds for a trailer and other things I need right now.... however maybe a better proposition selling the car. Just the loss amount is getting to me. It's the best car I have ever owned, and I am still in my mid 20's. Bit of a hard thing to get rid of a black E39 =(
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EACTuning View Post
I would just find another m52. The 30-40 HP gain is not enough to warrant putting a ford product under the hood. The 302 automatic mustangs were slow.
Cost me $1650 for a bottom end, $1700 for replacement box. Where I live these engines are expensive maybe looking at $4-5k supply and fit for replacement engine ... not even a low km's one. The USA seems alot better place to be a bmw owner!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 97 540I6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren928 View Post
There is alot you could do here. But converting from one make to another is tricky. I have done it before and there are more surprises than they tell you about. The bmw engine is a better quality engine, unless you are comparing a high-end crate ford engine, but then the price will be alot of $$$ too.

1) Slap in a m54 engine (235 hp) and tranny, if you don't want a beast, just alittle more power. Before the engine goes in, put some headers on it, port the exhaust head ports for more power, and you have a reasonable solution. These engines can be had for $1,500 in great shape.

2) Get the BMW V-8 (282 hp version) engine and throw a couple mods on it before installing. Price? Dunno.

3) Alot more pricey, but a M3 S54 engine $3500, or M5 engine $6,000 ---could go in there as well. All are gently used prices with warranty.
1) It should fit, but you'd need some custom software, methinks

2) You would need to change out the front subframe, and the steering system, not to mention the big differences in the electronics. Buy a new car instead of doing this -- the labour would cost more than simply buying a 540I.

3) M3 engine -- this should fit, but would need some software done up to get it to work well. As for the M5 engine, see #2, and add many thousands of dollars.

Practical solution? Replace like with like.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikemusic View Post
Well I paid $9900aud ($8217usd) for the car 12 months ago now, and I could probably sell it for about $5500aud ($4565usd)... that's a $4400 loss in a year ($3652usd)(
I might research this.... work out what is acceptable depreciation and cut my losses. Otherwise remove the motor and start on an E30 M3 replica. My car before this was an E30 and I fell in love. Was a 325e euro spec, no diving boards 5 spd. Guy is selling my old car with manual box for $500 and blown head...