Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Teledyol
Mein Auto: 98 540i 90 535i 84 528e
Best new tires for a 84 528e

Just picked up an 84 528e with only 300k miles on it runs great, but doesn't pass CA smog yet.

Anywayz, looking for what the sporty types think the best tires for this car might be.

The old recommendation of H - rated tires aren't around anymore with Michelin.

What they are recommending is the Harmony P195/70 14

whadoyathink?

RAW
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Are you running true 14 inch wheels or are they the old TRX metrics? If 14" your choices are going to be limited. For relatively cheap you can pick up a set of 15 or 16 inch wheels from an E34 5 series. You should be able to get more choices including speed rating. Although, that Eta isn't going to be going anywhere fast.

Wheels from the E32 7 and E39 5 will work. I probably wouldn't go with 17s. If you do decide to go this route and pick up a set that were formally mounted to an E39 keep in mind you will need hubcentric rings, the hubs are/were larger on the E39.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Teledyol
Mein Auto: 98 540i 90 535i 84 528e
Cool

Thanks Hugh,

I shopped around a bit on the question. Seems that it's hard to find these tires — H-rated 195/70 14in — and the best tire makers are trimming down their lines as well for cars older than 10 years.

I went to my Michelin supplier and told her that if I wanted H-rated that the recommended choices were Yokohama and Sumitomo, She called the Yokohama supplier and found some Toyo Proxies TPT that are no longer made, for a really good price.

She stated that with the H rating that the sidewall construction would work better than the best Michelins that I could get in that size, that would have to be T-rated

I put them on and hit the back roads in the Oakland hills. It's definitely a BMW ride again with a 300K car. It kinda like having cushy socks in a performance shoe.

I wonder what my carbon footprint is…
Old 10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teledyol View Post
Thanks Hugh,

I shopped around a bit on the question. Seems that it's hard to find these tires — H-rated 195/70 14in — and the best tire makers are trimming down their lines as well for cars older than 10 years.

I went to my Michelin supplier and told her that if I wanted H-rated that the recommended choices were Yokohama and Sumitomo, She called the Yokohama supplier and found some Toyo Proxies TPT that are no longer made, for a really good price.

She stated that with the H rating that the sidewall construction would work better than the best Michelins that I could get in that size, that would have to be T-rated

I put them on and hit the back roads in the Oakland hills. It's definitely a BMW ride again with a 300K car. It kinda like having cushy socks in a performance shoe.

I wonder what my carbon footprint is…
Who gives a damn? Just think of all the trees you are feeding!