Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 745
Opening the bonnet / hood

I have a 745Li (2002).
I went to open the bonnet / hood recently. I pulled the lever inside the car, and the hood raised. I then went to the front of the car, to pull the latch through the grille, to fully release it. However, it appears that the lever in the grille is not attached to anything (not sure why), and the bonnet won't fully release.

Does anyone know how I can manually release the hood, or operate this release?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
The lever in the grille is just a safety catch. Did both sides raise, or just one? There is a way to pop the latches on each side by hand from underneath, but it really helps to have video or a picture -- I'll do that in a little while.

There is also what I'd expect to be a common point of failure -- where the cable for the nearest hood latch meets the cable that you're actually pulling when you pull the lever inside the car. Once you have the hood open, look for a plastic piece joining these two cables along the top of the driver's side edge of the engine compartment, about halfway to the front of the engine compartment. I'll take a picture or something later. This piece failed on my car about a year ago and I had to figure out how to open the hood manually -- the dealerships' advice were useless.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks for your reply.

If you could send details, and possibly pics of how to manually release the catches that would be absolutely fantastic.
Looks like only one side pops up when I release from in the car. But the front catch doesn't work either, as the lever doesn't appear connected to anything any longer.
So info on releasing the front catch would be great also.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: E65 745
sounds like they need ludricating when you do finaly get it open !
Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Master Tinkerer

My flickr set with a few pictures and videos on how to release the driver's side hood latch.

To release the driver's side latch with the hood closed / regular release handle not working, remove the plastic corner piece under the driver's side at the front of the car, reach up to the latch, and push the latch finger holding the cable toward the driver's side of the car. To release the passenger side latch, yank the cable at that same driver's side latch as hard as possible with a coat hanger or pliers -- pulling it slowly and hard will not do the trick usually; usually you have to really give it a good yank.

I'll take a picture tomorrow of the hood cable connector that broke on mine.

Hope this helps!

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 09-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
I have a 745Li (2002).
I went to open the bonnet / hood recently. I pulled the lever inside the car, and the hood raised. I then went to the front of the car, to pull the latch through the grille, to fully release it. However, it appears that the lever in the grille is not attached to anything (not sure why), and the bonnet won't fully release.

Does anyone know how I can manually release the hood, or operate this release?

Thanks
Forgive me if I misunderstand the problem, but I was finding it difficult to reach the safety catch until I realized that if you pull up a little on the hood the safety lever pokes out through the grill and is easy to grab. Hope that's it.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Forgive me if I misunderstand the problem, but I was finding it difficult to reach the safety catch until I realized that if you pull up a little on the hood the safety lever pokes out through the grill and is easy to grab. Hope that's it.
it should come out on its own though ! mine was a little stiff in the begining ! but some spray grease worked into the mechanism sorted it !
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 AM

This is very good info. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
However, with the hood closed, I cannot see the cables, and I don't have a ramp to get under the car. I may be able to see better later when it gets lighter.

Would it be possible to get a picture of the bit you refer to "To release the driver's side latch with the hood closed / regular release handle not working, remove the plastic corner piece under the driver's side at the front of the car, reach up to the latch, and push the latch finger holding the cable toward the driver's side of the car. "

I'm not sure where this is, so if you could send a pic of that, it would be most useful.

Also, I'm unsure about the front catch, as the release for that isn't working. If you have any tips on how to release that with the hood closed, that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
My flickr set with a few pictures and videos on how to release the driver's side hood latch.

To release the driver's side latch with the hood closed / regular release handle not working, remove the plastic corner piece under the driver's side at the front of the car, reach up to the latch, and push the latch finger holding the cable toward the driver's side of the car. To release the passenger side latch, yank the cable at that same driver's side latch as hard as possible with a coat hanger or pliers -- pulling it slowly and hard will not do the trick usually; usually you have to really give it a good yank.

I'll take a picture tomorrow of the hood cable connector that broke on mine.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 AM

i don't see how you will get to the cables with the hood down either !? i'd try getting someone else to pull the lever while you lift the hood ! it can't be the fast that it won't open with a little persausion surely !??
Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Master Tinkerer

Well, if you're lucky and can get enough tension on the cable to have someone pulling up on the hood to work, then you've definitely avoided a little headache.

The safety catch in the front only pops out once the hood latches are both released and the hood is sitting high enough to be pulled up (I wouldn't worry about the safety catch working/not working because as you've seen, it's a really simple little piece of hardware / there isn't much to fail; it's much, much more likely to be a cable problem).

You get to the driver's side catch (and the cable coming out of it toward the passenger side) from underneath the car. In the first video you can see roughly where the driver's side latch is located under the hood. If you go directly under the car from there, there will be a plastic covering type of corner piece about the side of a large dinner plate that you need to take off. Take it off and reach up from underneath to where the latch is, feel around till you find that finger in the videos and pictures and then push it toward the driver's side of the car. It will take some force to pop it, but you should feel it move pretty easily at first -- and to help identifying the latch finger to push, it's the piece that has the cable going toward the passenger side of the car. You will seriously have almost your whole arm reaching up into the car before you can touch the latch.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Last edited by Keif; 09-25-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks again for the reply.

Would it be possible to get pics of this "To release the driver's side latch with the hood closed / regular release handle not working, remove the plastic corner piece under the driver's side at the front of the car, reach up to the latch, and push the latch finger holding the cable toward the driver's side of the car. "

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
Well, if you're lucky and can get enough tension on the cable to have someone pulling up on the hood to work, then you've definitely avoided a little headache.

The safety catch in the front only pops out once the hood latches are both released and the hood is sitting high enough to be pulled up (I wouldn't worry about the safety catch working/not working because as you've seen, it's a really simple little piece of hardware / there isn't much to fail; it's much, much more likely to be a cable problem).

You get to the driver's side catch (and the cable coming out of it toward the passenger side) from underneath the car. In the first video you can see roughly where the driver's side latch is located under the hood. If you go directly under the car from there, there will be a plastic covering type of corner piece about the side of a large dinner plate that you need to take off. Take it off and reach up from underneath to where the latch is, feel around till you find that finger in the videos and pictures and then push it toward the driver's side of the car. It will take some force to pop it, but you should feel it move pretty easily at first -- and to help identifying the latch finger to push, it's the piece that has the cable going toward the passenger side of the car. You will seriously have almost your whole arm reaching up into the car before you can touch the latch.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Master Tinkerer

Yip, give me till this evening...it's only 2pm here and I'm at work till 5-ish. Boo.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Master Tinkerer

I posted a new video and a few new pictures here that will hopefully clarify. Make sure to watch all 3 videos. Please do give feedback.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7