Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
USB Audio Interface (Option 6FL)

The USB Audio Interface is only available as a factory-installed option and cannot be retrofitted. It allows the connection of compatible MP3 players, such as an Apple iPod Generation4 or higher, to the vehicle and operates it through the vehicle's audio controls.
In addition to MP3 players, audio files on USB sticks can also be played through the USB audio interface.Only audio files can be played and accessing other files such as videos is not possible. It is possible to access all stored audio data directly through a playlist, as well as searching for genre, artist, album or title. However, the sorting and displaying of audio files in the vehicle can only be carried out correctly, if all the data stored on the MP3 player (e.g. ID3 tags) contain Roman characters exclusively. Playlists need to contain absolute path indications if the audio file is not located in the same directory as the playlist itself.

Vehicles that may be equipped with Option 6FL
USB Audio Interface is only available as a factory-installed option and cannot be retrofitted
E90, E91, E92,and E93 produced 3/07 On
E60 and E61 also produced from 3/07 On
E63 and E64 also produced from 3/07 On
E70 produced from 4/07 On

The USB audio interface currently supports the following compressed formats:

MP3 (mp3)

AAC (aac, m4a, m4b)

WAV/PCM (wav) WAV files are not supported in playlists

WMA (wma, asf)

Playlists in M3U format

Storage of the device and first installation

Observe all operating and storage instructions for the device if the iPod, MP3 player or USB stick is stored in the vehicle. It is recommended to not store iPods, MP3 players or USB sticks in the vehicle for any length of time, since extreme environmental conditions (temperature, humidity) may cause damage to the device.

Upon initial connection of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick containing large amounts of data, audio files can be only accessed through the directory structure of the device. The search by genre, artist, album or title only becomes available after the corresponding file information has been transferred to the vehicle. The performance of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick in the vehicle such as duration of synchronization or operation speed depends on the storage capacity and technology of the device as well as the number and the format of stored audio files (e.g. the synchronization of a USB stick with 8 GB of flash storage can take up to 10 minutes; longer synchronization times could be due to device specific characteristics. During this period of time music titles can be selected through indexes and file names).

Should the interaction of an iPod, MP3 player or USB stick with the USB audio interface not function correctly, it may also be due to defective or unsupported encoding of audio files (e.g. bit rates bigger than 256kbit/s).

It is important to know that playing of audio files from mobile phones equipped with a USB interface through the USB audio interface is not recommended. The receiving or placing of phone calls cannot be guaranteed because some mobile phone models exclude Bluetooth functionality in parallel to USB connection.And charging the device through the cigar lighter should be avoided because of possible audio distortions caused by the cigar lighter.

Apple iPod devices must be connected to the vehicle through the provided adapter cable (Y cable from 30-pin-connector to USB and AUX-In).
It enables quick access to the iPod's audio files and also charges the iPod while connected to the vehicle via the USB connector. In addition, copy protected music files can also be played.If the adapter cable (P/N 61 12 0 422 099) for the Apple iPod is not used, iPod devices can only be used as "storage drive" with the FAT format and the operation of iPod devices under MacOS is also not possible.

iPod shuffle (with flash storage) can only be connected and used as "USB Mass Storage Class" devices along with a USB-cable, if the File Allocation Table (FAT) format is used.Details can be found at : docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61131

MP3 players can be connected to the vehicle through an aftermarket USB cable.These devices will then also be charged through the USB connection.Devices with "Media Transfer Protocol (MTB)" cannot be used with the USB audio interface.This applies especially for devices with the "PlaysForSure"-logo. To convert the device into the "USB Mass Storage Class" mode, refer to the owners manual of the MP3 player.The MP3 player needs to be formatted with the FAT file system. The files of the first partition will be displayed exclusively.

Copy protected music files are not supported for these devices

USB sticks can be connected directly to the USB audio interface.On 3 Series vehicles only, the provided adapter cable has to be used when connecting a USB stick to the USB audio interface to prevent damage to the USB stick when closing the arm rest.USB hard disks and USB hubs and/or card reader with several inputs cannot be used with the USB audio interface.USB sticks with integrated hard disk is not recommended since tests have shown that their audio quality may not be acceptable.USB sticks need to be formatted with the FAT format. The files of the first partition will be displayed exclusively.Due to the variety of USB sticks in the market and their technical differences, the flawless operation in the vehicle can only be assured through an operating test in the vehicle itself.Copy protected music files are not supported for these devices.

Known issues

1) Intermittent inability to select/activate categories such as playlists, genres, artists, albums, tracks after starting the vehicle with the USB device already connected. This occurs if very few audio files (less than 70) are stored on the USB device:

Disconnect/reconnect the USB device or store more audio files.

2) During operation, the Entertainment source spontaneously switches from audio device (iPod, MP3 player) to FM radio:

Select the audio device as the Entertainment source manually. Disconnect/reconnect the device concerned if necessary.

3) Message "Reading data" is permanently displayed:

Make a new selection; disconnect/reconnect the device; change the Entertainment source and change back again; allow the vehicle to enter sleep mode.

4) Message "No supported audio files found" is displayed when a playlist is selected:

If playlists and audio files are stored in different folders, absolute paths must be used, e.g. /dir1/dir2/track.mp3.

5) Interference is heard instead of an audio track after a vehicle start with a USB stick connected:

Select a new track manually or skip forward/back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPOD.JPG
Views:	2922
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	133998  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Thanks for the information as always. Just one point: the iPod cable p/n listed is an old one. I know that 61 12 0 440 786 supercedes it (it's what I received with my 550i) but I've heard there is another p/n too. Something to do with properly charging iPods I believe.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Any idea if this will ever be available as a retrofit for my '05 545i (11/04 build)?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Pundit

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Another known problem....

When in USB Mode, the system does not remember where you left off. It restarts from the beginning after vehicle restart. Anyone figure out a way around this?

Note: I am using a usb 2gb flash drive
E46 330i - Sold
E39 530i - Sold
Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
Any idea if this will ever be available as a retrofit for my '05 545i (11/04 build)?
As posted above,this is not available as a RETROFIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Another known problem....

When in USB Mode, the system does not remember where you left off. It restarts from the beginning after vehicle restart. Anyone figure out a way around this?

Note: I am using a usb 2gb flash drive
Are there any problems in FM stored stations (when you shut the car off and vehicle sleeps,does it remain on the same station as you get back and turn the key on?) or in CD mode ?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Thanks for the informative post.

One question... The write-up mentions USB Sticks need to be formatted as FAT.

I assume that means FAT32, since FAT16 has a size limit of 2 Gigs.

Can someone confirm?

I plan to keep my music library on an 8 Gig USB stick with playlists and want to make sure that'll work OK.

I haven't gotten my car yet so I can't experiment.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_tech View Post
As posted above,this is not available as a RETROFIT.

Are there any problems in FM stored stations (when you shut the car off and vehicle sleeps,does it remain on the same station as you get back and turn the key on?) or in CD mode ?
Nope, CDs and FM are on same track/station when I start back up. Just seems to be a problem with usb.
E46 330i - Sold
E39 530i - Sold
Old 02-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Hi,

I have 3 questions for those who probably know more than me on this subject, I have 335i with idrive and aux only:,

1) Although I dont have 6fl, just out of curiosity, is there any risk of transferring viruses or other dodgy software to the BMW central system from either Ipod or other MP3 USB device, using the 6fl USB port? Or is there any prorection against this?

2) As I dont have 6fl what is the best way of connecting ipod to the aux in the armrest? What cable/charger will fit in the armrest and still be able to close the armrest?

3) If I leave the power cable plugged into the ipod and ligter socket will it still charge when the car is switched off? Or do I need to disconnect the power cable so I do not drain the car battery?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Nope, CDs and FM are on same track/station when I start back up. Just seems to be a problem with usb.
Okay,when you are listening to the iPOD via headset and allow it to power down on it's own similar to the vehicle "sleep mode" state.When you turn it back on it starts over at the MENU doesn't it ? Once plugged in it would display BMW or something (I have aftermarket radio so it displays the manufacturers name of the radio in my iPOD) and once you shut it off as you get to work,upon your return to the vehicle you notice it "resets" back.I do believe that this is a "normal" operation of the iPOD.It does not get charged when the ignition is off in order to prevent waking up the vehicle (MOST bus/fiber optic requiring a great amount of voltage to operate) OR become a sleep preventer that can lead to an exhaustive discharge of the power supply (battery).The iPOD,without a power supply connected would assume the same state of "rest" in order to prevent battery discharge (perhaps if no input is seen within a certain time frame it shuts down completely as if you pushed the OFF button) but the iPOD does not have a "sophisticated array of memory features" .It can simply be described as a "recorder" capable of playback.The only memory it keeps are the data stored,sometimes even that in itself fails and I find myself clearing the darn thing and start all over.If there is a problem with the USB you will hear about it,trust me.

1)It may appear as screeching/popping noise.
2)Speakers may not work at times and often either all front or all rear.
3)Your vehicle may not recognize you because your chest is right up against the steering wheel,mirrors are pointing up,your "presets" are reset,and your comfort access just gave you an uncomfort access requiring the remote key to be inserted in order to start.

There are multiple possibilities and perhaps endless.Killing a battery these days require interrogation under warranty procedures.I would never keep my iPOD plugged in (since it is a product only supported but not manufactured by the company that made the "interface" module) and I would keep it locked up.And before I resume my journey as I wait to warm up the engine,I would then take a few seconds by selecting the track (perhaps check Bluetooth connectivity and set NAV if neccessary) and begin my journey.Isn't it truly the "Ultimate Driving Machine" if you can do all that and there are no problems or warning lights that stay on ??? Rule of thumb people : If something appears to operate abnormally,investigate by removing a factor (by process of elimination) in order to come up with a conclusion to prove your theory of an "uknown" situation/condition/operation.

P.S. It's hard to get rid of this cold so I'm on Nyquil.A few more posts and Im off to bed. How bout them Giants beating the "undefeated" for the one that really counts ??? Definately make you go "Hmmmm" and something to remind us that no matter how good you think you are,there is always someone better.I just hope I never meet that guy,I don't like him already.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbmwuk View Post
Hi,

I have 3 questions for those who probably know more than me on this subject, I have 335i with idrive and aux only:,

1) Although I dont have 6fl, just out of curiosity, is there any risk of transferring viruses or other dodgy software to the BMW central system from either Ipod or other MP3 USB device, using the 6fl USB port? Or is there any prorection against this?

2) As I dont have 6fl what is the best way of connecting ipod to the aux in the armrest? What cable/charger will fit in the armrest and still be able to close the armrest?

3) If I leave the power cable plugged into the ipod and ligter socket will it still charge when the car is switched off? Or do I need to disconnect the power cable so I do not drain the car battery?

Thanks
  1. No, only the audio signal enters the aux port.
  2. Trial and error. Or you can connect the cables through the inside of the console. (Some soldering required.)
  3. Turn off the car and see if the cigar lighter works in that power socket.

I seem to hit
every light red.

'08 535i, Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Nav, Rear Folding Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Comfort Access.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Pundit

Thanks for the detailed write up tech, but I'm not using an iPod. I have a USB flash drive. The system will only go back to the where I left off before I shutoff the car if I switch sources from USB to something else and back to USB. Then it starts up where it left off....very strange
E46 330i - Sold
E39 530i - Sold
Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 3-series
Question Always Alphabetical?

A question about the USB audio... I have several music files on my USB key and they are all showing up & playing fine. I can browse the list by genre, album, artist, or directory. However in every case the song titles are listed in ALPHABETICAL order instead of in order of Track Number. Anyone else have this problem? Do you know if it is using the File Name or the Title name to sort?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi Coupé (E92) 2007-12
Just found this:

Nachrüstsatz USB-/Audio Schnittstelle Nur für E9x mit... 65 41 0 443 678 01 29 0 443 679 eba

If my german is correct, it should now be possible to retrofit USB (6FL) in E9x cars ?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 AM

A quick visit to my local service center confirmed that the iPod adapter can be retrofitted to an '08 535i and other models as well.
They have the parts in stock.

Code:
The quote I received -

Part #

BM65-11-0-036-448    iPod Kit w/o Harness    $419.94  
BM51-16-7-063-515    Insert                     5.30

2 hours labor                                 210.00

Plus shop supplies & sales tax

I seem to hit
every light red.

'08 535i, Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Nav, Rear Folding Seats, Rear Side Airbags, Comfort Access.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
A quick visit to my local service center confirmed that the iPod adapter can be retrofitted to an '08 535i and other models as well.
They have the parts in stock.

Code:
The quote I received -

Part #

BM65-11-0-036-448    iPod Kit w/o Harness    $419.94  
BM51-16-7-063-515    Insert                     5.30

2 hours labor                                 210.00

Plus shop supplies & sales tax
Nothing new - the old iPod adapter has been available since 2006.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01 PM

The service advisor said that was the 6FL option. So why the posts that it is not available as a retrofit?

I seem to hit
every light red.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
The service advisor said that was the 6FL option. So why the posts that it is not available as a retrofit?
As far as I know and this is going on what BMW has told me, the USB/iPod 6FL option is not available as a retrofit. I don´t have a list of part numbers but it´s easy to find out by cross referencing if someone does have access. Also, based on the name, it´s probably not the 6FL option.

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM

What is the difference between retro kit and 6FL option?
Will the retro kit have all the functionality of the 6FL option to completely control an iPod from the iDrive audio system?

I seem to hit
every light red.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
What is the difference between retro kit and 6FL option?
Will the retro kit have all the functionality of the 6FL option to completely control an iPod from the iDrive audio system?
Not all, but it's close.

The 6FL offers far more functionality (except for Podcasts, mysteriously, which are neglected) but you can still do a decent job of controlling the iPod via the retrofit (I had this in my 2006 car and I was happy with it).

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM

USB/Audio Interface Retrofit
BMW 3 series (E 90, E 91, E 92, E 93) vehicles with OPTION SA 640 Preparation for universal telephone installation OR SA 644 Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth

Retrofit kit No. 65 41 0 443 678 USB/audio interface retrofit kit

The High charger/hands-free electronic control unit (MULF2) is not included in the retrofit kit and must be ordered separately.

USB/iPod Interface Retrofit
BMW 1 Series (E 81, E 87)
BMW 3 Series (E 90, E 91, E 92, E 93)
vehicles with SA 662 (Business radio) OR SA 667 (Audio radio).

Retrofit kit No. 65 41 0 427 467 USB/iPod interface retrofit kit
Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
USB/Audio Interface Retrofit
BMW 3 series (E 90, E 91, E 92, E 93) vehicles with OPTION SA 640 Preparation for universal telephone installation OR SA 644 Mobile phone preparation with Bluetooth

Retrofit kit No. 65 41 0 443 678 USB/audio interface retrofit kit

The High charger/hands-free electronic control unit (MULF2) is not included in the retrofit kit and must be ordered separately.

USB/iPod Interface Retrofit
BMW 1 Series (E 81, E 87)
BMW 3 Series (E 90, E 91, E 92, E 93) vehicles with SA 662 (Business radio) OR SA 667 (Audio radio).

Retrofit kit No. 65 41 0 427 467 USB/iPod interface retrofit kit
So when you and I were both posting that this is available only from the factory, I guess BMW was busy building a retrofit kit?

MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi Coupé (E92) 2007-12
Quote:
Could that be: 84 10 9 178 898 ?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:04 AM

I believe 84 10 9 149 843 Hands-Free Charging Electronics (MULF2-High) is the latest part number.That may change next week .
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 PM

According to BMW UK there is currently no retrofit option for 6fl but they said try again in another couple of months.

However, as the US tends ti be ahead of the UK is there anyone on this board with inside ifo forexample who can state whether 6fl can and will be available as a retrofit for post March 2007 E92?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Also I would add that I although I dont have 6fl I do haveaux in the armrest. I use a Griffin Autopilot which both charges the ipod and allows a connection to the aux through a dock adaptor.

The Autopilot has play/forward button on the top of the charger stick so if the charger is put into the cigarette lighter where the smokers kit is you can press the top of it to stop/start/forward the ipod without touching the ipod. This way the ipod can stay in the centre console.

Main disadvantage is that you have 2 wires running from the smokers kit cigarette lighter is to the centre console. But you dont need to look at the ipod and might be more safe than being tempted to browse songs through the idrive with the 6fl option.