Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Damn hot in the desert

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 330Ci Coupe
VIN Sticker Location in Door Jam - Coupe

Could anyone post a picture of the location of the VIN sticker in the driver's door for E46 Coupe?

I recently purchased an '05 330Ci coupe and the VIN sticker is missing (the sticker with the tire pressure is there). Why would this sticker be missing?

I want to replace it in the original location. The dealer said they can special order a sticker with the correct VIN and mfg information.
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 323i
Ive never gone looking for a vin stick before.. Where exactly would it be? And why do you want to replace a missing sticker? Your vin # is in another 100 diffrent places on the car anywho...
Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Damn hot in the desert

When I took the car to the DMV to title and register it, they looked in the door jam for the VIN number (as well as at the base of the windshield). Since the inspector couldn't find 2 matching VINs, I had to go to a "special" inspection - which just means someone else who was qualified to lift the hood. Paid an extra $20 for the special inspection. No real beef - just time and money! But it highlighted to me that there should be a sticker there.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Im Not exactly sure were it goes. Think it belongs between the door seam though. Not on the outside panel, not on the inside panel, but that peace in between. Don't take my word for it though, Ill check tomorrow morning when I try and take my headlights off again..
Old 09-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
There *should* be three stickers on the driver`s side door Jamb....the top one is the tire pressure sticker, right under that is the "data plate" sticker, with the VIN, date of mfr., country of origin, etc., and on bottom is a warning sticker, saying that there might be mercury contained in the HID headlights.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
There *should* be three stickers on the driver`s side door Jamb....the top one is the tire pressure sticker, right under that is the "data plate" sticker, with the VIN, date of mfr., country of origin, etc., and on bottom is a warning sticker, saying that there might be mercury contained in the HID headlights.
Well, there you have it, Knew there was stickers there...
Old 09-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Damn hot in the desert

Right now I only have the tire pressure sticker. Pictures of the locations of the other stickers would be appreciated.

Why would the other stickers be missing?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Why would your VIN sticker be missing?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46eric View Post
Right now I only have the tire pressure sticker. Pictures of the locations of the other stickers would be appreciated.

Why would the other stickers be missing?
Why do you need a fU#*ing PICTURE ???? I just described it to you *in detail* Good God, man, try to use a little imagination !!!!

Maybe the PO was lying about the year of the car when he sold it....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 318i m-sport 5 spd!
Man this is reeally suspicious!! They couldnt find 2 matching VIN's? Are you saying your car had 2 different vin numbers on the windshield and under the hood? I hope for your sake that YOU are just making some kind of mistake!!! Unless ofcourse there is a good explanation to it!! hmm....
Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmataz View Post
Man this is reeally suspicious!! They couldnt find 2 matching VIN's? Are you saying your car had 2 different vin numbers on the windshield and under the hood? I hope for your sake that YOU are just making some kind of mistake!!! Unless ofcourse there is a good explanation to it!! hmm....
Nonsense ! The VIN is placed in a *bunch* of locations around the car (several of them known only to State Police and other authorities as a method of ID-ing stolen cars) One *very* obvious place is stamped into the shock tower in the engine compartment....

Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmataz View Post
What he said was that without a VIN on the door post, to find a number matching the one on the dash, he had to pay extra to have someone else pop the hood to read that VIN on the shock tower (it matched).
The one on the door post is just a crummy paper sticker. Maybe it got wet? It's the other 2 that 'have' to be there anyway.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Das rampen abwarten

Mein Auto: 04 330xi,Audi A6,AlfaSpid
Quote:
Nonsense ! The VIN is placed in a *bunch* of locations around the car (several of them known only to State Police and other authorities as a method of ID-ing stolen cars) One *very* obvious place is stamped into the shock tower in the engine compartment....

...and if you find a VIN sticker on the trunk lid, behind your rear license plate, then the BMW dealership will automatically knock 40% off of the sticker of any new vehicle.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Damn hot in the desert

Quote:
Why do you need a fU#*ing PICTURE ???? I just described it to you *in detail* Good God, man, try to use a little imagination !!!!

Maybe the PO was lying about the year of the car when he sold it....
Sorry, Fast Bob. Your description is good. I had posted my msg after reading Andrew.P's, which said "Not on the outside panel, not on the inside panel, but that peace in between". I wasn't sure which panel he was talking about.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Like djfitter realized, I have matching VINs, just not in the location the lady at DMV wanted to look for them.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Yeah, I couldn't think of the word at the time.. English isn't the best department in this Store.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Damn hot in the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.P View Post
Yeah, I couldn't think of the word at the time.. English isn't the best department in this Store.
Nothing personal - some things are hard to describe in words. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Back in Mexico, every external removable part in every new Bimmer sold has the last 10 digits from the VIN etched on it. Glass, mirrors, headlamps, tail lamps, you name it. And if you need to replace a part and purchase new from any dealer, they have the obligation to etch it for you, no extra charge.

Good to know, while you're doing the Fast Bob thumb and forefinger meditation exercise...

2006 325Ci
Old 09-27-2009, 07:33 AM

Now if only it stopped raining..
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.P View Post
Now if only it stopped raining..
We'd kinda like it to start out here.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
BTW, remembered this thread while driving this afternoon. In my Bimmer there's no VIN sticker in the B-pillar, only thing there are the "beware of the airbags" and the tire pressure stickers. However, the A-pillars on both sides each have a paper VIN sticker with the ID in human-readable and barcode formats. Right next to the upper hinge.

2006 325Ci
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 02-12-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
At one point, the quarter panel was changed on my coupe, and the right side strut tower was also changed at another time. I have not had any luck getting a sticker made, the dealer told me that I was SOL.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02