Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335xi
Noise coming from Right Front Wheel/Axle area

I have a 2008 BMW 335xi. There is a loud noise (clunk sound) that comes from the right front wheel/axle area when I first start driving. The noise doesn't happen all the time, but it especially happens when the car had been sitting around for a while or when the weather is cold. It's a loud noise and you can almost feel the clunk. And it happens when I first start driving.

Also, when I go over a speed bump, I get a noise from the same area (right front wheel/axle) although it's not as loud (more of a clicking sound instead of a clunk sound).

I can't replicate this noise at the BMW dealer because by the time I drive the car to the dealer, the car has been driven for a while and the car has warmed up.

Any ideas on what's causing the noise? What part should I have the dealer look at? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions.
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Ahh! Summer Weather!!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Welcome!

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Gooble Goobledygoook

Mein Auto: 08 335xi E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycenarches View Post
I have a 2008 BMW 335xi. There is a loud noise (clunk sound) that comes from the right front wheel/axle area when I first start driving.
Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about

Could it be that some moving parts seized? Did you feel some resistance before the car started moving, i.e. you have to step on the gas more and suddenly the car jerks into movement? Can't be rust, can it? Did you try leaving it at the dealership for a couple of days, then let them drive it and see if the problem still exists?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 328i
It could be a bad bearing. Try to load the bearning when it's warm, by driving hard into a left turn and see if the noise increases in the area of the right wheel. I test drove a BMW couple of years ago and I noticed when I turned left, the car had a noticeably louder noise in the right wheel area. Even the salesman noticed it. He took into the shop and they said the bearing was worn. It doesn't happen often on modern cars, but that could be your problem.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
I have a 2008 BMW 335xi. There is a loud noise (clunk sound) that comes from the right front wheel/axle area when I first start driving. The noise doesn't happen all the time, but it especially happens when the car had been sitting around for a while or when the weather is cold. It's a loud noise and you can almost feel the clunk. And it happens when I first start driving.
Does the noise happen when you apply the brakes when you first start driving? If so, you are probably hearing the pads shift in the calipers when you apply the brakes.

Quote:
Also, when I go over a speed bump, I get a noise from the same area (right front wheel/axle) although it's not as loud (more of a clicking sound instead of a clunk sound).
This could be shock absorber or strut bearing noise.

Quote:
I can't replicate this noise at the BMW dealer because by the time I drive the car to the dealer, the car has been driven for a while and the car has warmed up.

Any ideas on what's causing the noise? What part should I have the dealer look at? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions.
The Magic 8 Ball says a visit to the dealer is in your near future and you will have to leave the car at the dealer overnight so they can try to replicate the problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335xi
thanks

Thanks to all for replying. I am going to take my car to the BMW dealer and ask them to look at the components that you mentioned. I really appreciate you all.