Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI Wagon
help with a convertible top repair/replace

Hi, I am thinking of buying a vert. The top is in good shape, but the rear window is very bad. Do people have any suggestions of how to fix. I can't really sew, so that is out, and it doesn't have a zipper.

If I do have to replace the top, anyone have a suggestion of where to purchase one with a zippered window? I have read sites on how to install, and I don't think I want to tackle that. How much do you think to install.

It seems that this will be the deal breaker. If I have to replace the top, then paying 3200.00 for the car may be too much.

thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
hate to say it but the easiest thing to do is replace the whole top. there are a few kits out there to fix it, but i didnt have any luck with them (i didnt read instructions either)

but if you buy the car, just keep the top down. theres nothin like driving through a blizzard dressed in all top dollar ski gear available with the top down. but im also basing my opinion off snowmobiling. the car does have a heater so thats a plus
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM

Now, that is an image! Love the spirit. Are part of the polar bear club by any chance? Yeah, it seems with the research I have done, replacing the entire top is the way to go. I also realized last night, in my haste to want the car, that not all verts have heated seats. I thought they all did, but then when I was looking at pictures of some online, I realized that I guess it is an option like anything else.
Now I really am torn. I don't think this car has heated seats, and that I am very upset about. I had a vw cabrio that was old, and didn't have heated seats, and there were plenty of times when I wanted to put the top down, that I wished I could have had those heated seats.

Oh well, maybe I should just continue to look, and find something with a better top, as well as heated seats. The top is expensive but doable. The heated seats seems like a pain.
I did find a pair of front seats on ebay for a good prices that were already heated, but don't know what else is involved with installing the rest.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyred62 View Post
Now, that is an image! Love the spirit. Are part of the polar bear club by any chance? Yeah, it seems with the research I have done, replacing the entire top is the way to go. I also realized last night, in my haste to want the car, that not all verts have heated seats. I thought they all did, but then when I was looking at pictures of some online, I realized that I guess it is an option like anything else.
Now I really am torn. I don't think this car has heated seats, and that I am very upset about. I had a vw cabrio that was old, and didn't have heated seats, and there were plenty of times when I wanted to put the top down, that I wished I could have had those heated seats.

Oh well, maybe I should just continue to look, and find something with a better top, as well as heated seats. The top is expensive but doable. The heated seats seems like a pain.
I did find a pair of front seats on ebay for a good prices that were already heated, but don't know what else is involved with installing the rest.
when you fall inlove with a car that is exactly what you want, dont let your heart control your wallet. make sure you show the seller as little interest as possible. thats the number one rule when buying anything expencive, be it a car a house or a clothes dryer. the seats are fairly easy to do. if your comfortable doing the top then the seats wll be a breeze. if not then definately keep looking because both will be expensive

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
when you fall inlove with a car that is exactly what you want, dont let your heart control your wallet. make sure you show the seller as little interest as possible. thats the number one rule when buying anything expencive, be it a car a house or a clothes dryer. the seats are fairly easy to do. if your comfortable doing the top then the seats wll be a breeze. if not then definately keep looking because both will be expensive
Very well said. Well I went looking at another car today to compare. They are asking $5,000.00 for it vs. $3200.00, and said they would not budge on the price. They told me the car was perfect, and had only 78,000. I checked the carfax, and it seems ligit, so that has something in its favor vs. the one I originally looked at(with a ? mileage or possible rollback), and it had a new top, but no heated seats. I have to say the inside was perfect. a 9/10. The outside was not so perfect. The paint was very faded, the bumper was loose, and the rubber seals around all of the windows were cracked and falling off. I understand it is an old car, but don't then say that it is perfect. I think he is asking that much because it has such low mileage. Unfortunately, carfax isn't always perfect either.

Oh well, I then went back to the one I was looking at originally, and fell in love again. I don't know why really. They are both red on the exterior, but the one I like has black interior, and the more expensive one has tan. It is a person preference, but I prefer a black interior. Even on the Mini Cooper, I love the chilly red with the black top, vs the white, even though I know the white is more vintage.
I was looking at the car again, and the top is in good shape, it is just the rear plastic, but I guess I could live with it like that until it would need a new top. The rest of the top is fine. No leaks, and works well etc. I was thinking of getting a hardtop for the winter anyway, and hopefully, when I use it in the summer, it will mostly be with the top down.

In answer to your question, I don't think I would have tried to do the top, but the seats, maybe. I found a set of front seats that have the heating component, and found a set of buttons also. Someone on this forum told me all I needed then was some a harness, and to cut out the spot where the buttons go. Sounds easier said then done. These are the links from ebay. Do you think this is a good price etc, and are they what I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-O...=p4506.c0.m245,
and the buttons: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...=p4506.c0.m245.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Very well said. Well I went looking at another car today to compare. They are asking $5,000.00 for it vs. $3200.00, and said they would not budge on the price. They told me the car was perfect, and had only 78,000. I checked the carfax, and it seems ligit, so that has something in its favor vs. the one I originally looked at(with a ? mileage or possible rollback), and it had a new top, but no heated seats. I have to say the inside was perfect. a 9/10. The outside was not so perfect. The paint was very faded, the bumper was loose, and the rubber seals around all of the windows were cracked and falling off. I understand it is an old car, but don't then say that it is perfect. I think he is asking that much because it has such low mileage. Unfortunately, carfax isn't always perfect either.

Oh well, I then went back to the one I was looking at originally, and fell in love again. I don't know why really. They are both red on the exterior, but the one I like has black interior, and the more expensive one has tan. It is a person preference, but I prefer a black interior. Even on the Mini Cooper, I love the chilly red with the black top, vs the white, even though I know the white is more vintage.
I was looking at the car again, and the top is in good shape, it is just the rear plastic, but I guess I could live with it like that until it would need a new top. The rest of the top is fine. No leaks, and works well etc. I was thinking of getting a hardtop for the winter anyway, and hopefully, when I use it in the summer, it will mostly be with the top down.

In answer to your question, I don't think I would have tried to do the top, but the seats, maybe. I found a set of front seats that have the heating component, and found a set of buttons also. Someone on this forum told me all I needed then was some a harness, and to cut out the spot where the buttons go. Sounds easier said then done. These are the links from ebay. Do you think this is a good price etc, and are they what I need.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-O...=p4506.c0.m245,
and the buttons: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...=p4506.c0.m245.
Thanks
i dont think thats perfect. you should point out all these faults, and then tell him it is going to cost you about 1500 to fix the car up so it is perfect and see what he says.

i am not a fan of the tan interior either. but it is rarer from what i have heard, so hes got that card to play if he knows he has it

i didnt check those links, but the heated seats cant be hard to do. you do need the loom which you can get from the wreckers yard. and the holes cut in the console is fine.. the perforated (-sp?) lines are there, you just need to punch out the hole for it. they go in the bit of console that is next to the handbrake. you might be able to pick up the whole seat of seats, buttons and wiring harness from the yard, but youll have to be quick because those go fast.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Now, that is an image! Love the spirit. Are part of the polar bear club by any chance?
the southern colorado chapter (youngest member) and soon the iowa chapter when it gets cold enough. once a year is good enough for me.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 325ic convertibl
When I redid my seats, I was able to replace the heating pad that goes inside. I already had heated seats though which meant just splicing a couple wires together and using the original switches. AS I recall however it was a real simple setup. I had the seats out already which made it easy. I also had the leather off, since I was recovering all the seats. I just had to splice two wires together and I was able to use my original switches. The kit came with a push button switch. I would have had to drill into my console to install it. Here is the link with some installastion instructions: http://www.heated-seats.com/installation.html

If you do decide to just replace the pad you will need to purchase a outward clinch stapler. The only place I was able to find one was Grainger.
good luck!