Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 AM
****ie

Mein Auto: 1996 Volvo 850
Diff is leaking

2010 535i x-drive 6mt

About 3 weeks ago noticed that theres a leak on the left side(drivers side) of the diff.

Not sure what could leak in there but assuming that theres some type of a seal between the diff itself and drivers side drive shaft, and thats probably where its leaking from.

So i just wanted to see if anyone can confirm that, maybe someone had the same problem and can tell me more about it, and whats involved in fixing this leak.

Also wondering if theres any special tools involved, and maybe theres a diy somewhere on how to do this, i tried searching but was not successful :/

And one last thing ... Should the diff fluid be changed at certain mileage as a preventive maintenance??

I plan to do this myself, and really need to get it done before i loose all the fluid, so your help is really appreciated because i dont even know where to start. I think i should really invest in a bentley repair manual

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E60 530XI
Yeah, there a seal on the differential on each axle and the driveshaft. You're going to need to do a fluid change if you replace the seal. Luckily it doesn't take much. Pretty sure its 75w-140 that's rated for limited slip applications.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
That seal can be replaced by removing that side half-shaft. Couple of hours of labor.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:43 AM

here are some pics when I replaced that seal...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02094_resized.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	508919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02100_resized.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	508920  
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM
****ie

THANKS GUYS,

WHATS INVOLVED THO ... DO I HAVE TO REMOVE THAT REAR CONTROL ARM, THE SHOCK, PROBABLY THAT BIG NUT THAT HOLDS THE AXLE TO THE HUB(ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT SIZE NUT)???

I HOPE I DONT NEED ANY SPECIAL TOOLS OR NEED TO PRESS ANYTHING IN WITH A PRESS OR REMOVE ANYTHING THAT WAS PRESSED IN WITH THE PRESS?!?!!

AND I GUESS NO DIY HUH??? WHAT A BUMMER

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE REPLIES YOU GUYS.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WethVento View Post
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE REPLIES YOU GUYS.
First of all, please turn off the CAPS lock. No one likes being yelled at.

The procedure is in the Bentley manual, section 311. Buy the book. It is worth the $110 that it will cost you. You'll save that amount of money in labor costs with this repair alone. Alternatively, try searching for the repair in a 3-series or X5 forum as the repair processes should be similar.

Yes, you are going to have to remove the wheel, brake rotor, wheel hub collar nut, control arm, tension strut and tie rod.

I've never done the repair myself, but it appears to be something that can be done at home without buying special tools. You might have to invest in a seal installation kit, but a section of PVC pipe might work as well. You'll also need a means of removing the axle nut from the drive shaft- it is torqued at 310 Ft-lbs. Get a long 3/4" breaker bar like the one sold at Harbor Freight.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 AM
****ie

hmmm ... an hour huh???

Thanks txag_530i ...

Sorry about the caps ... i was yelling at anyone, i just use it caps at work all the time and realized that it was on like half way through the reply so i just kept on going.

Some good info you provided there, along with the amount of time it should be done in. So if i go to the dealer or any indy shop, they would charge me hour, hour and a half for labor and thats it ... right??

In that case I think it makes more sense to bring it somewhere to get it done, because it will take me like half of day to take everything apart and then another half of day to put everything back together :/

Now i just need someone that can do this today because I think im really low on diff fluid :/

Thats the only thing i got to do to get my car back to normal ... i realy hope i can get that done today so i can drive to Worcester, MA tomorrow to get the walnut blasting done.

Thanks all for your input and pictures .... have a great weekend all, and dont forget to have fun cuse thats what its all about
Old 05-15-2015, 05:55 AM

Why don't you have that mechanic (whoever is doing the walnut blasting) replace that seal between the diff and half-shaft?
If you are concerned about the amount diff fluid in the diff, open the fill the plug and pour some and you can drive long distance.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:09 PM
****ie

thanks for a good idea ...

i was going to do the walnut blasting on saturday because its like a two hour ride and i cant really miss any work days .... but on saturday hes only open 830am-1230pm and the walnut blasting takes about 4hrs so theres no time to do anything else .... but thats a good idea, i could just keep refilling it until i get it done lol

I think im going to do it today .... hopefully i can figure everything out.

Also, i dont think i need to remove the axle itself, i just unbolt few bolts at the diff, pull out a stub thing, and change the seal.

Can anyone confirm that i dont need to loosen that big nut at the break disk and do all that txag_530i said??

"Yes, you are going to have to remove the wheel, brake rotor, wheel hub collar nut, control arm, tension strut and tie rod."

according to this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

Thanks all
Old 05-16-2015, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WethVento View Post
2010 535i x-drive 6mt

About 3 weeks ago noticed that theres a leak on the left side(drivers side) of the diff.

Not sure what could leak in there but assuming that theres some type of a seal between the diff itself and drivers side drive shaft, and thats probably where its leaking from.

So i just wanted to see if anyone can confirm that, maybe someone had the same problem and can tell me more about it, and whats involved in fixing this leak.

Also wondering if theres any special tools involved, and maybe theres a diy somewhere on how to do this, i tried searching but was not successful :/

And one last thing ... Should the diff fluid be changed at certain mileage as a preventive maintenance??

I plan to do this myself, and really need to get it done before i loose all the fluid, so your help is really appreciated because i dont even know where to start. I think i should really invest in a bentley repair manual

Thanks
Here are some PDF'S for you , hope it helps . You might think about replacing the bearings while your in there and have the axles apart ..
Old 05-19-2015, 10:13 AM
****ie

drivers side rear axle seal is done :)

This last weekend finally did my seal, removing the old seal was the toughest part of the job, it was all rusted on there, but PB Blaster did its job tho. When jamming the screw driver in between the old seal and the body of the diff, i nicked up the machined surface a little but did use some sandpaper and scotch brite to clean up any raised material. Then used a female to female 4" ABS piping adapter to hold the seal when i was putting it in and the to tap it in. Without that adapter it would have been a lot harder.

Overall ... it wasnt that bad, but it would have been a lot easier if i had a lift to do it on

But it had to be done so it got done ...

Thanks to all who replied and thanks to bimmerfest and Pelican parts, they got some good directions.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:43 AM

Glad you've fixed that leak without spending big $$ at the dealer. Removing the old seal took some time for me as well because I didn't want to scratch the surface.