Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Thumbs down '06 530i Noise in wheel area after much replaced.

Ok heres the scoop....

The tie rod on the passenger side was getting worn, replaced both at once with new.

Alignment done.

Shortly after, the passenger bearing was just grinding. How I troubleshoot it was Drive on highway, turn right grind is gone. Turn Left the grind is louder.

Got new f-a-g hub assembly (wheel bearing in hub) Installed.

Had to unbolt upper , lower control arm / unbolt tie rod / slide the hub assembly off the strut / then replaced with new f-a-g hub assembly. And reverse everything back onto the car.

NOW : The grind is gone almost, but a much tiny, smaller, high pitch grind (much quieter now than b4) with SAME characteristics as the bad bearing....turn right on highway grind is gone...turn left on highway gets much worse....

And i am getting really sick of this car its way passed the line @ 144k miles

replaced recently, all the above, including water pump and t-stat, new tires.

what can be possibly wrong now? when i put the tire back on, bolted the control arms, and tie rod back on, any way the tire is pushed inward a little ? the tie rod was done by a shop and alignment as well. i am running out of ideas
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Was that grinding noise present PRIOR to tie rods replacement?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
Was that grinding noise present PRIOR to tie rods replacement?

Grinding noise was prior to new outter tie rods. I put these in this order....

1) new outter tie rods (grind still there) was told a very bad wheel bearing its shot. 2) replaced new hub with new rotors and brakes at same time. Old Hub had grind when spin it by hand.

Hard crunching grind is gone but a high pitch whining noise. In the same area. Passenger wheel. It really feels like when a car is out of alignment and balance it rides on outter thread of wheel. But wheels seem fine.

New tie rods. Hub. New tires. ( grind was there with old tires anyway) I'm confused and no idea anymore.

I put the hub back how I disassembled it. Nothing changed.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i M Sport
That high pitch whine is most likely a defective new bearing. It happened to me about 6 months ago with my 07 530i. Replaced both front wheel bearings/hub and the driver side was creating this high pitch whine and was found to be defective. So another new one was installed and The high pitch whine was gone.

May I also suggest that anytime one replaces wheel bearings, should replace them by the pair instead of just one side.

Hope this helps.
2001 330i
Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10550i View Post
That high pitch whine is most likely a defective new bearing. It happened to me about 6 months ago with my 07 530i. Replaced both front wheel bearings/hub and the driver side was creating this high pitch whine and was found to be defective. So another new one was installed and The high pitch whine was gone.

May I also suggest that anytime one replaces wheel bearings, should replace them by the pair instead of just one side.

Hope this helps.
Ok thank you , I was wondering if it is defective, just my luck. You had the same characteristics of a bad wheel hub as well after replacing it (just quieter?) Any suggestions on steps taking off the wheel hub, my first time doing this was a nightmare especially sliding the hub assembly off the strut.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Sorry my friend, I had my Indy did the work. I believe I saw some DIY on this somewhere.

Yes, it was a similar characteric as yours. After the initial replacement of both front bearing/hub, seems to be great except for the really high pitch whine that only driver side exhibited on speeds above 30. The passenger side was perfect. Therefore the Indy returned the defective one and replaced with another new one. After it was all nice and quiet and smooth.

Seems like you only replaced the passenger side front wheel bearing/hub. If I were you, I would consider replacing both side front when you get your defective new bearing re-replaced.
2001 330i
Old 01-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10550i View Post
Sorry my friend, I had my Indy did the work. I believe I saw some DIY on this somewhere.

Yes, it was a similar characteric as yours. After the initial replacement of both front bearing/hub, seems to be great except for the really high pitch whine that only driver side exhibited on speeds above 30. The passenger side was perfect. Therefore the Indy returned the defective one and replaced with another new one. After it was all nice and quiet and smooth.

Seems like you only replaced the passenger side front wheel bearing/hub. If I were you, I would consider replacing both side front when you get your defective new bearing re-replaced.
Thank you, this helps. So these hubs CAN be defective from factory, there is nothing else that can cause that noise in that general area besides the wheel bearing at speeds 30+. And you are correct its when you pick up the speed it gets worse. So there is $125 well spent.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 PM

If you just bought the part, I believe every manufacturer has some kind of warranty on their parts. That is how mine was replaced under new parts warranty. I have always bought F.A.G. brand for replacement wheel bearings on my BMWs. This is the 3rd set of front wheel bearings. 1st was 01 330i - replaced at 150k miles, 2nd was 10 550i - 105k miles, and 3rd was 07 530i - 167k miles. My Indy told me that it does happen but very rare to get a defective new part. Unfortunately my Indy had to do the driver side labor free, but the part was replaced by his parts supplier who in turn claim the warranty with the parts manufacturer.

Majority of people most of the time don't pay much attention to our wheel bearings, including myself but I have since learned, that bearings are a slow degrading part and that it actually ruins (feathers) your tires really fast. You would hear people ask how come their new tires started to feather with only a few thousand miles use and it is making this god awful loud road noise. And some people would answer its most likely your suspension (shocks, control arms, bushings, etc.) problem. Well I have learned that when your tires starts to feather, most likely it is the bearings that is causing the tire damage. All 3 cars had feathering issue and all 3 cars had NO wiggle on the front when checking for play. Once your tires feather to a point of easy visual confirmation, they are actually ruined because they make the worst road noise you will hear.

Just thought I would share my experiences.
2001 330i