Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
valve cover gaskets

I replaced my valve cover gaskets & both eccentric sensors...

put everything back together & started my 550 up & I have a little oil leak ( passenger side)
the valve cover gasket did not seat in 1 spot( about 1 inch long) this is where the oil leak is coming from..looks like the gasket came out of the cover in that spot...
Can I re-use this same gasket?
and do I have to take the complete cover off?
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2015, 05:58 AM

I doubt you can or should reuse the gasket. Did you use tvr seal on the edges and the half-moon areas on the gasket? Or you over torqued the bolts. Really sucks that you have do it again. I've just did mine with help from a friend. Took us 15 hours lol!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04' 545i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW10to6 View Post
I doubt you can or should reuse the gasket. Did you use tvr seal on the edges and the half-moon areas on the gasket? Or you over torqued the bolts. Really sucks that you have do it again. I've just did mine with help from a friend. Took us 15 hours lol!
15 HRS!!! are you serious? Im about to tackle this this weekend. Curious to know why he wouldnt be able to re-use the seal its brand new. Couldnt he put a little rtv in that spot?
04' 545/ 6 Spd Manual / Blk Lthr / Sport Pkg / Sport Sts / Logic 7 / Cold Wthr Pkg / Full L.E.D. Interior / Red Eng. Cvr / Mtech Front Bmpr / M5 Side Skirts / M5 Spoiler / Matte Blk Grill / Red Caps / Drilled Rotors / 20" Varrstoen ES1 / Mtec V3's / RPI Scoops / RPI Exhaust...Work In Progress $$$$$$$

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 E60 530XI
I just did mine on my n52. It looks like the gaskets were basically new, it must have been done already before I bought the car. However new, the seal was still leaking quite a bit on me. I say reuse the seal, and add a thin coat of rtv to both sides of the gasket. In my opinion it's just not that great of a gasket.

Fyi, it took me about 7 hours. I took it real slow though.

Last edited by Kurt_; 04-21-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarta2Six View Post
15 HRS!!! are you serious? Im about to tackle this this weekend. Curious to know why he wouldnt be able to re-use the seal its brand new. Couldnt he put a little rtv in that spot?
A lot of the time is removing all the wires and stuff to access vcg, putting everything back and making sure we didn't have extra bolts or screws. If I have to do it again it'll be half the time.
To OP's question: if your gasket was leaking, why would you want to reuse it?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW10to6 View Post
A lot of the time is removing all the wires and stuff to access vcg, putting everything back and making sure we didn't have extra bolts or screws. If I have to do it again it'll be half the time.
To OP's question: if your gasket was leaking, why would you want to reuse it?
hey guys, I did use the same gasket... it did have a little tear( on the corner) I put a little RTV ULTRA on the corner of the gasket...

put it back on the ( passenger side) and it is running perfect... no leaks....

At the moment..
And this gasket is new....but it did not seat, the first time and I tightened it down on a 'buckled piece that had came out of the cover itself'...
Old 04-21-2015, 03:58 PM

i put new eccentric sensors, spark plugs, spark plug tubes, timing chain gasket( passenger side) all new o-rings, vacuum pump o-ring, oil cooler o-rings in as well...

All of the above, since I had to do the 'alternator bracket gasket'...( had the alternator re-built too, while it was off)
perfect no leaks...

about 33 hours of work ( when I had all the parts in hand).. I did not have a shop or garage.. I had to work on my carport....so several days I could not work on it, because of the RAIN !!