Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-05-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 525i
Angry 04 525i Shakes at high speeds...Any suggestions?

2 Months ago, I changed my factory wheels (17") to 19" M5 staggered replicas and new tires. Since then I changed the control arms on the front - both driver and passenger side (upper and lower). I noticed that when I get the car up to about 70-80 mph the whole car shakes...especially the seats. I then had it high speed balanced and it changed just a little. Took it to the shop and they told me everything looks good. I know it is not because it never felt like that before...something is just not right.

DO you think that I should just go ahead and change the control arms in the rear of the car?
I was told that if the seats are shaking then there must be something wrong in the back.

Appreciate your thoughts in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-24 13.41.40.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	400672  
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Joe B.

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
04 525i Shakes at high speeds...Any suggestions?

Usually when the seats are shaking it's a balancing issue is the rear tires.
I deal with it on ford Taurus x's( I'm a military mechanic and we use them to go out to the missile fields) and usually there is a lit of mud on the inside of the tires. We clean the tires and that usually fixes the problem

Another thought is that the steel bands in one or both tires in the back has snapped. It will make the tire look a bit out of round and make it ride like crap.

It happens every here and there with any tire company.

It could be any or all of the above. Hope I helped a little

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 BMW 535xi Monaco blue
Look for a bent rim, also. When I had mine in for balancing, the tire guy showed me a couple dents that
caused mine. Got it true'd and all is well.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
bro i have a 525i 05...the highest u should go without problems is 18 inch...im just saying its prob bc ur rims arent the recommended size for ur car...bigger rims= lower performance quality...being deadass thats why on cardid they have rims specially made to fit ur car and 4-10 525i 18 inch is the best size. its not safe either change rim sizes or bring it to a shop for maybe alignments bc when my car shook like that the wheels werent aligned...ur 525i is ment to have all the wheels same size not staggered
Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesching View Post
bro i have a 525i 05...the highest u should go without problems is 18 inch...im just saying its prob bc ur rims arent the recommended size for ur car...bigger rims= lower performance quality...being deadass thats why on cardid they have rims specially made to fit ur car and 4-10 525i 18 inch is the best size. its not safe either change rim sizes or bring it to a shop for maybe alignments bc when my car shook like that the wheels werent aligned...ur 525i is ment to have all the wheels same size not staggered
LOL, this is completely false. I have run 17,18, 19, and currently 20s on my E60s. I've never had a vibration issue that wasn't either a bent rim or an unbalanced wheel.

To the OP: When you said you did "high speed balance" did they do each wheel separately or did they do the whole car? What I mean is: Did they do Hunter RoadForce balancing?
If they did it could be the tires - depending on brand some have more vibration than others. I have heard several of the less expensive brands have vibration that won't go away. Or, it could be the wheels - this is te chance you take when you buy replica wheels, they are (obviously) not made to the same specs as the OEM wheels.
Good luck

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Mine was pretty rough prior to getting new tires in the front--but they were wore slam out, so that's probably not your problem here
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 PM

Smile Thanks! Got it fixed!

Hey Guys - thanks again for your help.

FYI - I redid the high speed balance, they did all 4 wheels on the car (the problem seemed to be a balancing issue)....and WALLLAH!!! Drives like before I changed the wheels and tires. I took it up to 110mph today...and OH MY!!! feels awesome! I don't get why they couldn't do what they did today the first time around!

Regarding the staggered set-up, I have some NITTO 555 Extreme ZR on the car- 245/35/19 on the front and 275/30/19 on the back (not the best but for ATL weather...works out well).

In regards to @Jamesching, myth busted....19' runs fine with the right balance and tires. I have a buddy of mine with a 530i and he's got some 20" replica's staggered with continental tires and it drives great also.

AGAIN....Appreciate all your opinions....it really did help me figure this out.....
Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 525i 2005 e60 sedan
I need help from u guys...I cant decide whether to get 18 or 19 in rims...I heard that 29 the ride quality will be terrible amd 18 i alot better. Im in jersey so the roads I drive on everyday arent exactly great..I dont want a bent rim and have to pay for another one with tires bc im basically emptying out my wallet for these rims and tires its my last mod...help me out here. Btw I got a 525i 05 lookin at avant garde m359 matte black rims
Old 11-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i
Sorry for jumping in your thread but I have been dealing with this myself for the longest time. My car starts to shake between 60-85 mph range.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTariq View Post
Sorry for jumping in your thread but I have been dealing with this myself for the longest time. My car starts to shake between 60-85 mph range.
First, you want to check your control arms and make sure its not busted/cracked
Second, check your balancing (take it to a shop that specializes in BMW etc)

If all that checks out.....get it "High Speed Balanced" by a specialty shop....

Hope it helps.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 PM
DIY'er

Mine had some shaking when the tires were about worn out--check the very inside edge. Mine looked fine except for the very inner edge was GONE. It was like a new car after having them replaced

The BMW alignment specs call for quite a bit of negative camber to improve handling, however, I would have it set as close to zero as is possible (probably won't be able to get it all the way there). This will drastically increase tire life on the rears especially, and handling impact is minimal/not noticeable for a normal person
Old Today, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: e39 changed to e60
Sorry for hijacking but I'm having similar shakes at 60mph through 75mph, then its on and off after that. I changed almost everything, front and back control arms and linkages, new tires, new RIMS (used it as an excuse to get the f10 19" M5 rims, sweet!) and yet still shakes. its been balanced in 3 different shops and it better, but still shakes. I'm at my wits end. Last shop said it would be the egine seats (engine suspension). this possible?
19" M5(f10) Rims 245/40 front and 275/35 rear
Old Today, 01:19 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaba View Post
Sorry for hijacking but I'm having similar shakes at 60mph through 75mph, then its on and off after that. I changed almost everything, front and back control arms and linkages, new tires, new RIMS (used it as an excuse to get the f10 19" M5 rims, sweet!) and yet still shakes. its been balanced in 3 different shops and it better, but still shakes. I'm at my wits end. Last shop said it would be the egine seats (engine suspension). this possible?
Have you looked at the Guibos and balancing of the driveshaft? Sounds more relate to that than the engine mounts to me.

Does it do it regardless of what gear it's in? If so, I doubt it's the engine mounts. Put it in manual mode when it's doing it and shift down a gear and see if it changes or not