Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-05-2016, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E61 535D M Sport LCi
Key Fobs Stopped Working

Hello,

Car: BMW E61 535d M Sport LCI 2007

My key fobs wouldn't communicate to my car. This happened very suddenly and I always had good range before this happened.

I check with a local mechanic and he confirmed they were both transmitting strong signal.

Read up on here and realized it could be the diversity amplifier.

When I took off the spoiler, the black box was well sealed with butyl. The washer hose was not connected properly.

I opened it up, looked inside and could see some slight corrosion, really nothing major like I have seen on the forums. It was mostly on 2 pins near the main connector. I cleaned it with furniture polish and removed the corrosion. connected it back up and it still didn't work.

Started to reinstall the system and snapped one of the ribbon cables going towards the glass plastic molding, it was the one in the middle wit the purple/pink colour.

Face palmed.

The ribbon snapped very close to the corner and is almost impossible to access on the car side.

Tried the radio (which had perfect signal before) and it was now very weak signal.

Can someone please answer these questions please?!

What was the connector that I broke? (it looks like the FM aerial is in the side windows and there is only a heater in the rear)

Is it likely the amplifier was at fault? The unit was not seriously corroded and went overnight.

If I buy a 2nd hand tailgate, does it have to be a LCI part for the amp to be compatible? The part number for mine is 6985531 868.4 MHz)

Should I put my hand in my pocket and get a man to fix it? I have been quoted 95 just for a diagnostic. If things go how I expect them to, the cost could spiral out of hand! the misses would go ape s**t.

Can anyone help that is local to me with diagnostic for beer money? I'm in Berkshire UK.

I really need some support on this one!

Thanks,

John
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
If you've got that far on your own you should be okay.
There are two frequencies of antenna. They arent directly interchangable (car can be recoded to accept the other one, i think)

I don't believe the cable you snapped is a ribbon cable. Maybe the wagons are different. I think that purple connector is your coaxial antenna connection. Did you break the plastic connector or the wire? Can you solder? Worst case you can solder on a new connector or solder the wire right on to the board.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E61 535D M Sport LCi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
If you've got that far on your own you should be okay.
There are two frequencies of antenna. They arent directly interchangable (car can be recoded to accept the other one, i think)

I don't believe the cable you snapped is a ribbon cable. Maybe the wagons are different. I think that purple connector is your coaxial antenna connection. Did you break the plastic connector or the wire? Can you solder? Worst case you can solder on a new connector or solder the wire right on to the board.
I think the wagon could be different, after all they are in different locations.

Perhaps I was misleading. The coaxial type one is in the side of the unit. The cable I broke was one of the two ribbon ones in the centre of the unit. One is connected directly to the spoiler. The other is connected to the rear glass surround, this is the one I destroyed! Unfortunately, it looks beyond repair because of where it severed.

Would you say the original problem was with a faulty amplifier?

I'm trying to work out if buying a 2nd boot is worth a pop.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
6985531, diversity amplifier, fm signal, key fob

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search