Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm View Post
I had that exact same issue several weeks ago, but it's still kinda surgy in the 30-40mph range and has a rough idle. Resetting the adaptive transmission helped a bit, for awhile, but eh. I may just have to learn to live with it since no one has a tried and true solution that I've heard (and which actually completely works).
you're right, it did come back... i tried to trade the car, and they say they'll give me 16k for it, almost a 10 grand negative equity!!!

Last edited by shorttough; 09-14-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
So the surging came back a couple weeks ago!

I called my SA and demanded them to open a PUMA case...and BMW just authorized to replace the mechatronics! Should be done late tomorrow or Thursday afternoon.

I'll report back!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
I bet you have no more problems after that mechatronics is replaced, mine is still shifting as smooth as a baby's ass!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Debt View Post
I bet you have no more problems after that mechatronics is replaced, mine is still shifting as smooth as a baby's ass!
Just got a call that my car is ready to be picked up, SA said the mechanic test drove and it no longer surges. I'm going to pick it up this evening and will verify results...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: mcoupe
I am a bit curious if turning off the dsc and then trying to replicate this issue has any effect on the outcome, could someone please try this?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM

didn't make a diff on mine.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM

As promised, here is a recap.

-purchased a CPO 545i a few months ago, noticed that there was a surge/stutter/slip in transmission when driving steady anywhere between 30-40mph. Would happen approx. every 5 seconds or so.

-previous owner showed me two service records where the vehicle was taken into his BMW dealership for issue. They claimed there was no issue and the car was geared that way.

-started doing my own research and found this thread. Took car into my BMW dealership and was told the driving adaptations needed to be cleared. After being cleared the surge/stutter/slip was less noticeable, but still there. A week later the issue went away. Two weeks later the issue was back.

-went back to dealership with print outs of this topic, showing that others have this issue and it's not normal. Was told that since there is no code, they couldn't do anything for me.

-went back yet again to dealership with new knowledge of PUMA case and demanded they open one. PUMA case was opened and BMW authorized replacement of mechatronics.

-car no longer has issue with surge/stutter/slip and it no longer hesitates when engaging in reverse gear. Also, transmission seems to shift smoother as well.

Here is my invoice, I hope this helps anyone else dealing with this frustrating issue.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJaguar View Post
As promised, here is a recap.

-purchased a CPO 545i a few months ago, noticed that there was a surge/stutter/slip in transmission when driving steady anywhere between 30-40mph. Would happen approx. every 5 seconds or so.

-previous owner showed me two service records where the vehicle was taken into his BMW dealership for issue. They claimed there was no issue and the car was geared that way.

-started doing my own research and found this thread. Took car into my BMW dealership and was told the driving adaptations needed to be cleared. After being cleared the surge/stutter/slip was less noticeable, but still there. A week later the issue went away. Two weeks later the issue was back.

-went back to dealership with print outs of this topic, showing that others have this issue and it's not normal. Was told that since there is no code, they couldn't do anything for me.

-went back yet again to dealership with new knowledge of PUMA case and demanded they open one. PUMA case was opened and BMW authorized replacement of mechatronics.

-car no longer has issue with surge/stutter/slip and it no longer hesitates when engaging in reverse gear. Also, transmission seems to shift smoother as well.

Here is my invoice, I hope this helps anyone else dealing with this frustrating issue.

congrats, best $50 you ever spent
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 AM

no surprise there. THe mechatronics is a major issue in the 545i. People talk about reseting the tranny, or new software. It's doesn't fix the problem.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Around the Bend

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
Well the dealership says I can't get mine fixed through a puma case since it's past the normal 4 year warranty and like a dummy (I guess) I didn't buy CPO. Still, you would hope that BMW would be willing to fix a known problem that's nearly at a recall level at this point. Looking at $2-4k+ to replace it myself, which effing sucks. This is my second and now probably last BMW. You'd think you could expect more from a car that costs nearly $60k new, but apparently not. I am extremely disappointed.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:04 PM

It's been a couple weeks now and the transmission is still 100% issue free.

Sorry to hear about that sigterm, I started feeling the same way until my car finally got fixed.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM

I agree, they know they have major design flaw on their hands.

My new mechatronics is still super smooth.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Around the Bend

I've tried contact BMWNA about this but so far have been met with silence. This is complete BS if they ignore customers with potential safety issues. Not only that but the constant gear hunting and surging/slamming is going to further shorten the life of the transmission. Extremely frustrated and I can only hope that someone at BMW will give a damn.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 AM
BMW 545i

Mein Auto: bmw 545i
i have the same problem in my car ...
btw ... some one told me that i can buy the valve body from zf manufacturer !

did any one heard that before ???
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoub89 View Post

I don't know if you can buy a mechatronics direct from ZF but you won't be able to install it yourself if you did. It's not a simple "plug & play" application. They have to program the new electronics to work with the engine electronics, etc at the dealer.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
BMW 545i

yeah i know that ... and i know where i can do it :P !! In Saudi Arabia ..NO need for the dealer :P HAHa we can do it outside :P they have every thing u want ! :P
BUT Im looking for the ZF mechatronics !! I need phone number or website !
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Disengage DSC

Wow, I simply cannot believe there are so many cases out there. I have an 04 530i, and (of course) have the same issue as everyone else. I'm starting to think every e60 ever made suffers or will suffer from this. Can't think of a better reason for a recall.

If your dealer is telling you you need to throw a code in order for them to do anything, do this: Come to a stop, disengage DSC, accelerate gradually until you feel the pulsing (for me this is around 35mph or so), then push down the accelerate to engage a drop to the passing gear. Not sure how this is all related but it has "worked" for me twice now. The car will rev up without engaging the transmission, I believe it shifts to neutral as a safety. It then throws the code you need to get them to do something for you.....ridiculous.

Hope this helps. Mine is at 70k and way beyond warranty. Not sure what I am going to do.

The "Ultimate" Driving Machine
Old 10-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Around the Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btapp78 View Post
Wow, I simply cannot believe there are so many cases out there. I have an 04 530i, and (of course) have the same issue as everyone else. I'm starting to think every e60 ever made suffers or will suffer from this. Can't think of a better reason for a recall.

If your dealer is telling you you need to throw a code in order for them to do anything, do this: Come to a stop, disengage DSC, accelerate gradually until you feel the pulsing (for me this is around 35mph or so), then push down the accelerate to engage a drop to the passing gear. Not sure how this is all related but it has "worked" for me twice now. The car will rev up without engaging the transmission, I believe it shifts to neutral as a safety. It then throws the code you need to get them to do something for you.....ridiculous.

Hope this helps. Mine is at 70k and way beyond warranty. Not sure what I am going to do.

The "Ultimate" Driving Machine
I got in touch with BMWNA but so far they have been very unhelpful. I'm trying to work my way past the low level form mail response people and talk to an actual supervisor or manager. Last I heard they said they would call me but they never did. So far it's not encouraging at all. I can only hope no one else is foolish enough to buy an e60.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 PM
:)

Mein Auto: 05' 545i
I was having all 4 issues with my transmission:
-2-1 hard shift
-35mph (5th to 6th hesitation)
-5-6 hard shift (Sport mode going 45-55 mph)
-slow to engage reverse

Dealer's replacing the mechatronic.
Hopefully it'll be done soon. It's coming up from Florida or something..

Meanwhile, the 528xi loaner I got shifts really nice and is much easier to drive at slow speeds.. Gas and braking..

Someone reported the car being easier to stop after changing the mechatronics.. Can other confirm? That would be a bonus!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Yes, the car stops much easier now and doesn't have that learch at the end.

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.

Last edited by Bad Debt; 10-22-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 PM
BMW 545i

I'm looking for mechatronic !! and im looking for ZF !!
how can i get it ..!!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
:)

Mein Auto: 05' 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck View Post
I was having all 4 issues with my transmission:
-2-1 hard shift
-35mph (5th to 6th hesitation)
-5-6 hard shift (Sport mode going 45-55 mph)
-slow to engage reverse

Got the car back and all 4 issues seem to be fixed.
The car is also easier to stop!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoub89 View Post

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...id=47&parent=0
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Around the Bend

Update: I spoke with BMWNA finally and while they wouldn't admit that this issue was a known problem, they said I should start by having my local dealership pull all the codes and give it a general once-over, at which point depending on what they find I may qualify for some good faith coverage of repairs. So yesterday I took mine to the nearest BMW dealership and along with explaining the full issue to my SA (including a link to that invoice above, thanks!) they're also doing a regular service check on it. I pick the car up today and will discuss the findings with my SA. So keep your fingers crossed, I really hope BMW decides to do right by their customers and fix a common (and terrible) issue. I got a loaner 328i while they're servicing it and although it has way less power than my 545i, it still drives really nice and reminds me why I love Bimmers so much.. I just wish I could recapture that in my 5. I'll reply again later when I know more.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Around the Bend

Update: Ugh so apparently the mechatronic unit checked out fine but the transmission is wrecked due to overheating. It gets worse though, the used dealership I got it from had brought the car to the same bmw dealership I went to and it threw 22 faults for the transmission. BMW's recommendation was to replace the transmission, which the used dealership DID NOT DO. They declined the recommendation and clearly did not put a new transmission in before selling it. So they knowingly sold a car with a bunk transmission without disclosing that to the buyer (me). So I wrote up a brief covering all the various points, facts, timelines etc and tomorrow I will be returning to the used dealership I got it from demanding compensation, trade or something as they breached faith (and possibly the contract, I'm still reviewing that). Completely pissed off though, and disappointed. Such a wonderful car in every other way.

I'll update more as I find it out. Wish me luck!