Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Bad Debt's Avatar
Bad Debt Bad Debt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 367
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
BMWNA says you need a new tranny?
__________________

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
PoeticJustice72 PoeticJustice72 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2006 525i
SIGTERM, If I were you, I would have them reset the adaptation values and then try and trade the vehicle in at a different facility immediately. That is possibly your best bet. Although I have had my fair share of issues with my BMW, I wouldn't berate the entire brand. I am currently looking at leasing or purchasing an X5. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
sigterm sigterm is offline
Around the Bend
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoeticJustice72 View Post
SIGTERM, If I were you, I would have them reset the adaptation values and then try and trade the vehicle in at a different facility immediately. That is possibly your best bet. Although I have had my fair share of issues with my BMW, I wouldn't berate the entire brand. I am currently looking at leasing or purchasing an X5. Best of luck to you.
They tried that, it seemed to slightly help but only for a short time.
__________________
crap
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
sigterm sigterm is offline
Around the Bend
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Debt View Post
BMWNA says you need a new tranny?
An authorized BMW dealer did after inspecting the vehicle, another one said it was fine. Kinda hard to say.
__________________
crap
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
pentanna pentanna is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay area
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I drive a 2007 530i , I had the jerking or bump problem as well when starting from a stop , took it to the dealer last week and the tech submitted a ticket to replace the mecatronics module they (BMW NA) said to upgraded the software and said it should work fine, it did for a while ( 2 days) it came back took it back ,just got a word that they are replacing the whole transmission now , Lucky me ( took it in one day before the factory warranty expired , early Christmas gift I guess). Looks like there are lot of transmission issues with the 06-08 models.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 12-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Kayani_1 Kayani_1 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 973
Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
I have had a mechantronic sleeve replaced in my 545i 6 months back. But the transmission once in a blue moon would still act up with those hesitations. I took it in this time and they said it might have been due to a faulty oil pressure sensor as they found it leaking. They also found a oil leak around temp. sensor. They replaced both and while the car was in they took care of Brake booster line recall for me.

Anyways I just got the car back two days ago so far so good.....have my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 12-30-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 12-30-2010, 05:32 AM
sigterm sigterm is offline
Around the Bend
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
Seems like it's always something with these cars, sigh. By the way, for those keeping score, the dealer I got it from is now completely blowing me off and ignoring all attempts at contact. Thanks to BMW for muddying the waters so much by having completely conflicting diagnoses to allow them to do that while preventing me from having any legs to stand on. Kudos and happy effing holidays.
__________________
crap
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 12-30-2010, 06:28 AM
chuckecoleman chuckecoleman is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: BMW 545
35-45 mph surge

I have found the same with my 545i sport...
I went to manual shift and it still did it. It seems to be a problem with the engine cutting out. But it is not a major problem because it does not flag the O2 sensor to the misfire. If any one is near time for their spark plug replacement try running the car for about 10 miles at about 40 letting it surge. Then remove the plugs and read them. See if one is showing a rich mixture or a very lean mixture. (there are tons of websites showing how to read your plugs.)
I am a bit busy this month but if anyone is at that point this would be the most logical step to see what is going on.
Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 AM
laro1965 laro1965 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nube1kenobi View Post
As far as CPO coverage, you may have to "deal" with your dealership. Your car has the hardware to play MP3's but not the CCC software bec at the time it was not considered stable enough. => http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/cgi-bi...sion=381898657

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B652706g.htm

Along with the above SIBs, use the next one as your main claim base. => http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B010306g.htm

CCC = Car Communication Computer.
Question: I just noticed this series of problems. I just recently purchased an '05 545i with CD Changer in the glove box, Navigation and a single CD player in the dash. I notice that I have all sorts of issues playing the single CD. It says "Unknown" (although I can only read "Unkn.." I do not have an MP3/Aux connection. Is this service bulletin my issue or am I talking about something else? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 PM
tommyv tommyv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 232
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I'm just bumping up this thread since I see a lot of questions about the transmission surge problem. Anybody have any luck getting the dealer to replace the mechatronics unit? I have not and am still battling with the dealer...
__________________
2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 AM
pdanaher pdanaher is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 05 545i
Angry trans surge

I have had no luck with the dealer. Basicly pay 4,000.00 for a new transmission or put up with it. sounds like GM dealers I used to deal with. less then 100k miles on a car and needs new 4,000.00 transmission. what a joke.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Jtshtx Jtshtx is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
No luck with my dealer here in Houston. When they told me they were unwilling to assist with part of the $3400 charge to replace my mechatronics, they told me the reason was "your car had several repairs while under warranty.." I replied and told them that it was their fault for making a car that kept breaking.

I will say, as long as I dont cruise along at 35 mph and as long as I accelerate rapidly when entering the freeway, I dont feel the mechatronics. I just wonder what else I am tearing up by driving the car.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 03-27-2011, 06:30 AM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 750
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
My problem is that I can't even get the dealership to diagnose the problem correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 03-27-2011, 05:34 PM
tommyv tommyv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 232
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
the last straw for me was when it started surging HARD after pulling out of a parking space in reverse. when I then put it in drive, it lurches forward forcefully and I almost nail the car I'm parked next to.
__________________
2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
aiwapro aiwapro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Michigan, United States
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 750
Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
the last straw for me was when it started surging HARD after pulling out of a parking space in reverse. when I then put it in drive, it lurches forward forcefully and I almost nail the car I'm parked next to.
That has happened two or three times to me as well. Ddi you get your fixed? Something has to be done about this, before they have a Toyota situation on there hands. Maybe I should have hit the car, and filed a suit. I had a witness in the car with me.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Alpine550 Alpine550 is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 06' 550i w/ iDrive
Ladies and Gents,

I wanted to post my trials with this issue and let you know where we stand as of now...
CPO 2006 550i with CPO Warranty and Extended Maintenance program. Purchased as second owner in Dec 2010 with Full coverage and certified until 3/12

Issue: transmission - sport mode, manual mode, 2-3 gear shift hits hard!

First resolution presented: SA mentioned transmission issue is a service bulletin as well and the cars software needs to be reprogrammed in order to resolve this issue. Local Dealer performed this with a bit of a battle and had the selling dealer pay for this.

Actual work done: Transmission sleeve replaced, car was reprogrammed.

Issue still existed immediately upon pickup of the car.

Took the car to the dealer on Tuesday 3/22/11. Dealer has still had the car for the last 5 days. Allegedly i get the car back tomorrow. Allegedly another SIB was being performed on the car and bearings are being replaced. Not sure what SIB is in play and not sure of which bearing the service manager was speaking of, but I will know as soon as I get the car back and will update.

Last edited by Alpine550; 03-27-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM
bmac71363 bmac71363 is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 535XI
I think you should read my post.

My post is "Should I have kept my Lexus ES350?" We may be expericing the same or similair issue you may benefit from what has been done to my car recently. Hope you find this helpful. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 PM
tommyv tommyv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 232
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
That has happened two or three times to me as well. Ddi you get your fixed? Something has to be done about this, before they have a Toyota situation on there hands. Maybe I should have hit the car, and filed a suit. I had a witness in the car with me.
No it's not fixed yet. I'm taking it to an indy on wed. so I'll report back then.
__________________
2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:46 PM
tommyv tommyv is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 232
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv View Post
No it's not fixed yet. I'm taking it to an indy on wed. so I'll report back then.
So the indy mechanic was able to replicate the problem on their test drive and they recommend replacing the mechatronics unit first. If that does not resolve the issue then they said the transmission will have to be replaced. My next step is to take the indy report to the dealer and see if that will convince them to fix the problem under CPO.
__________________
2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic - Sport/Premium/Cold Weather

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Alpine550 Alpine550 is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 06' 550i w/ iDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine550 View Post
Ladies and Gents,

I wanted to post my trials with this issue and let you know where we stand as of now...
CPO 2006 550i with CPO Warranty and Extended Maintenance program. Purchased as second owner in Dec 2010 with Full coverage and certified until 3/12

Issue: transmission - sport mode, manual mode, 2-3 gear shift hits hard!

First resolution presented: SA mentioned transmission issue is a service bulletin as well and the cars software needs to be reprogrammed in order to resolve this issue. Local Dealer performed this with a bit of a battle and had the selling dealer pay for this.

Actual work done: Transmission sleeve replaced, car was reprogrammed.

Issue still existed immediately upon pickup of the car.

Took the car to the dealer on Tuesday 3/22/11. Dealer has still had the car for the last 5 days. Allegedly i get the car back tomorrow. Allegedly another SIB was being performed on the car and bearings are being replaced. Not sure what SIB is in play and not sure of which bearing the service manager was speaking of, but I will know as soon as I get the car back and will update.
***Update***
So I still have not gotten my car back even though I was supposed to get it this past Monday. According to the service manager they have reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the bearings (wouldn't elaborate on which) and they have driven the car and are claiming the issue is gone. I am hoping a mechatronics unit was replaced during this, but i wont know until i get the official paperwork. The 328xi they gave me after the chevy hhr is much nicer, but i couldnt believe that they gave me a loaner with a cracked rear bumper, cracked windshield, mis-alligned head lights and scratches all over it. Lets hope my car comes back tomorrow and that its fixed
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Alpine550 Alpine550 is offline
Registered User
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 06' 550i w/ iDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine550 View Post
***Update***
So I still have not gotten my car back even though I was supposed to get it this past Monday. According to the service manager they have reprogrammed the transmission, replaced the bearings (wouldn't elaborate on which) and they have driven the car and are claiming the issue is gone. I am hoping a mechatronics unit was replaced during this, but i wont know until i get the official paperwork. The 328xi they gave me after the chevy hhr is much nicer, but i couldnt believe that they gave me a loaner with a cracked rear bumper, cracked windshield, mis-alligned head lights and scratches all over it. Lets hope my car comes back tomorrow and that its fixed

Update: Got the car back today and I'm happy but p!$$3d!!! The transmission seems to be doing ok, but my bet is that the issue comes back. Also I hear some gear noise that I did not hear before however only at very low RPM say 500 and its almost knit picking.

They did the following: Diagnostic Reprogram of car as per BMW
Scan showed no faults, checked fluid level, good/per tc case informed to follow SIB 240309 and cleared adaptations. Courtesy inspection, courtesy car wash. It was raining so no wash, and the inside of the car was dirty with some interior stains that need cleaning. Overall Tranny feels better, but i dont know what the SIB was. Anyone have some info?

Now why I'm P!$$3d! They also had it so that they could repair a chip that they put into the car the last time they had it and now upon return I have a cracked windshield!!!! They scheduled me for something two weeks from now to have a loaner and to have the windshield replaced. Just my luck.... Your thoughts, all appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
hooch999 hooch999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145
Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine550 View Post
Update: Got the car back today and I'm happy but p!$$3d!!! The transmission seems to be doing ok, but my bet is that the issue comes back. Also I hear some gear noise that I did not hear before however only at very low RPM say 500 and its almost knit picking.

They did the following: Diagnostic Reprogram of car as per BMW
Scan showed no faults, checked fluid level, good/per tc case informed to follow SIB 240309 and cleared adaptations. Courtesy inspection, courtesy car wash. It was raining so no wash, and the inside of the car was dirty with some interior stains that need cleaning. Overall Tranny feels better, but i dont know what the SIB was. Anyone have some info?

Now why I'm P!$$3d! They also had it so that they could repair a chip that they put into the car the last time they had it and now upon return I have a cracked windshield!!!! They scheduled me for something two weeks from now to have a loaner and to have the windshield replaced. Just my luck.... Your thoughts, all appreciated.
SIB 240309 /550/650 - Intermittent
harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt)
when coming to a stop with light
brake application.
Jolts and/or jerks felt when
reaccelerating after coasting.
Judder when gently accelerating
(most noticeable at an engine speed
below 2,000 RPM). - It's a software update.

I think you need to change dealer. I got F10 528i last time as a loaner.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Sigma1 Sigma1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i Sport
I have a manual, does the exact same thing as everyone here. It's the engine, not transmission. Purely timing/electronic based. First few miles of driving are lurchy and surgy, part of owning this car I guess!
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Bad Debt's Avatar
Bad Debt Bad Debt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 367
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma1 View Post
I have a manual, does the exact same thing as everyone here. It's the engine, not transmission. Purely timing/electronic based. First few miles of driving are lurchy and surgy, part of owning this car I guess!
Really? cause I got my mechatronics replaced and it went away....
The 34,000 people who have viewed this thread are pretty sure it is their ZF transmission. It doesnt just happen when the car is warming up, it's much more regular than that.
__________________

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.

Last edited by Bad Debt; 04-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 PM
carlos916's Avatar
carlos916 carlos916 is offline
Semper Fi!!
Location: 916 Cali
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to carlos916 Send a message via Yahoo to carlos916
Mein Auto: 2008 328i / 2005 R6 raven
I noticed that this problem is for 06-08 and 545 and some 530's I've had this surge problem for about 3 months which was since I got the car and I have made a note to the dealer that I've been hang this problem only when taking off .. Recently I went back and explained what is still going on and my SA and he said try to reproduce the problem and even tho my cpo just expired they will be willing to work with me so I've been trying an no luck but just yesterday I decided to reproduce the problem while driving in manual and I finally got it to do the hard shift/suge and it's my 3rd gear.. Only when the trans shifts into and out of 3rd I have this problem .. So just curious if any body might know what I'm going to expect and what should keep in mind to trying to get this problem fixed.. Btw this jolt/hardshift/suge happens atleast 2-4 times a day .. Any imput will be appricitated thanks!
__________________
Semper Bimmer! oRah

BMWCCA Sacramento Vally Chapter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advice, bmw 5 series, issues, tranny problems


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms