Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Semper Fi!!

Send a message via AIM to carlos916 Send a message via Yahoo to carlos916
Mein Auto: 2008 328i / 2005 R6 raven
Question does anyone have video of this problem? Im going to make one and hopefully someone can help me with my problem ( transmission kicks in and out of 3rd gear)

BMWCCA Sacramento Vally Chapter
Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to bryant
Mein Auto: 545i
I confirmed that I'll be getting a brand new unit, not a remanufactured one. It's coming in today. My mechanic explained it had to be programmed first. He said he got the new unit from the transmission manufacturer and that when he spoke to the agent, it is an upgraded unit.

MSAMMY - 2nd gear starts would be unacceptable to me. I would take it in right away and have that rectified. As for a loss of power, that better not be the case. My independent shop will not be messing around with the programming and I never had the 2-1 slam, so this should be a non-issue. But thanks for scaring me!

Carlos - I have a video of the problem I had. You can barely see the tachometer move and the miles per gallon guage move every time it "hiccuped."

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 AM

I came across this article on the installation of the mechatronics. It's pretty illustrative of what needs to be done. Except for the programming, it seems like it could be a DIY job.

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf

BMW 545i sport (active steering, sport suspension, dynamic drive) moonroof, adaptive headlights, CD changer, cold weather package, Logic 7 sound, Navigation, Park distance control, homelink, voice input system, hard wired V1
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Semper Fi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
I confirmed that I'll be getting a brand new unit, not a remanufactured one. It's coming in today. My mechanic explained it had to be programmed first. He said he got the new unit from the transmission manufacturer and that when he spoke to the agent, it is an upgraded unit.

MSAMMY - 2nd gear starts would be unacceptable to me. I would take it in right away and have that rectified. As for a loss of power, that better not be the case. My independent shop will not be messing around with the programming and I never had the 2-1 slam, so this should be a non-issue. But thanks for scaring me!

Carlos - I have a video of the problem I had. You can barely see the tachometer move and the miles per gallon guage move every time it "hiccuped."
u should post it!.. that way i can see if its acting the same as my tranny..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
u should post it!.. that way i can see if its acting the same as my tranny..
Here you are:
Watch the mpg meter, as every time it fluctuates, it is a result of the "hiccup" at that constant speed in 5th gear (DS). That happened to be at 60 mph, but it is perhaps even more noticeable at 10 - 15 mph less.

One thing I would like to note is that this "surge / hiccup" problem does not appear very discernable on this video, but from the seat of your pants, it is a very aggravating and abnormal frequent occurrence.

Last edited by bryant; 05-05-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Semper Fi!!

Quote:
Here you are:
Watch the mpg meter, as every time it fluctuates, it is a result of the "hiccup" at that consant speed in 5th gear (DS). That happened to be at 60 mph, but it is perhaps even more noticeable at 10 - 15 mph less.

hey thank you very much!.. appriciate the vid.. im going to take the car for a drive and see if i have that hickup on the mpg gauge.. i was told that it would be the rps that jump but ill try to get a vid and post and hopefully get some feed bak

Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Bryant - Are they charging you the same amount that you posted earlier even though they are now using a new mech. unit instead of a re-manufactured one? Let us know how the install goes and good luck!

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Tommy, yes they are. The mech unit has yet to come in, so it's still been waiting at the shop. Apparently it had to be programmed first and that contributed to the delay. I'll give you a report once I get the car back. Feeling a little anxiety.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Well I finally picked up my car with the brand new installed mechatronic unit today, directly from ZF. Again, according to my mechanic, he was told this is the latest version unit, which fixes the historic problems. He stated it came with the revised transmission pan, gaskets, etc. I only drove it about 10 miles to work and could tell that the shifting is perfect and precise. I'm not saying it was slushy before, I could just tell that the shifting is more crisp. I cruised at 40 - 50 mph and there was no evidence of the surging / hiccups. Final cost ended up being just over $3,500. It was quite a sting, but I would have been taken for that much if I traded it for something else and I wouldn't sell it to a private party without disclosing that issue. In the end, I believe it was worth it if I never have another issue with that unit again. After waiting a week and a half (thanks to the delay from ZF) it's great to be back in this car.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Well I finally picked up my car with the brand new installed mechatronic unit today, directly from ZF. Again, according to my mechanic, he was told this is the latest version unit, which fixes the historic problems. He stated it came with the revised transmission pan, gaskets, etc. I only drove it about 10 miles to work and could tell that the shifting is perfect and precise. I'm not saying it was slushy before, I could just tell that the shifting is more crisp. I cruised at 40 - 50 mph and there was no evidence of the surging / hiccups. Final cost ended up being just over $3,500. It was quite a sting, but I would have been taken for that much if I traded it for something else and I wouldn't sell it to a private party without disclosing that issue. In the end, I believe it was worth it if I never have another issue with that unit again. After waiting a week and a half (thanks to the delay from ZF) it's great to be back in this car.
That's great news that the problem is solved. Your rationale for spending the 3500 makes perfect sense too. that price is significantly less than others have reported here so i think you made out well.

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
That was money well spent. Tranny problems are a pain to live with but once fixed, you will love that car and probably keep it for a long time. Glad to hear things turned out well for you!

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Semper Fi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAMMY View Post
That was money well spent. Tranny problems are a pain to live with but once fixed, you will love that car and probably keep it for a long time. Glad to hear things turned out well for you!
+1 million.. thats my only issue with my car.. the tranny!.. but yeah glad to see it all worked out for u!.. im dropping my car off next week at the stealership and having a bmwna rep look at it.. hoping for the best but will see what happens

Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks for your confirmations. After driving a couple hundred miles now, I continue to be pleased. Not only is the problem fixed, I can really tell the car is more responsive. I wonder if it has to do with the programming on the new unit versus the programming on my old unit or perhaps that the new unit is well, new, lol. I recall when I first got my 545, that I told the dealership that it felt it was too "jolty" when I accelerated from 0. They changed the programming and fixed that, but I always thought I was robbed of a little power. After the install of the new unit, that power feels like it has returned. Keep in mind this is all theory. The main thing is is that those annoying hiccups are gone.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Semper Fi!!

good stuff.. im taking my car in here in about a couple of hours and dropping it off .. tomorrow morning it will get checked out by a bmwna rep and hopefully i can get something fixed... im getting fed up with this kick and at times its almost feels like when u tap on the brakes and everyone in the car lunges forward a bit =/ so yeah ill get some word on it by tomorrow afternoon

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Keep us updated with what they say. Good luck to you.

It was infrequent, but before the fix, I would experience those "kicks" once in awhile (the hiccups I've explained earlier were much more prevalent). If that ever occurred when I was on Ice, the results could have been terrible.

Last edited by bryant; 06-08-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005, 545
Thanks Bryant

Hey man,
I am sitting the UAE and have been reviewing this forum for a few months while battling with BMW ME - A$$-Clowns!!

Your updates have motivated me to get a decent indy BMW mech to have a crack at my mech unit.
I love my 545, have done a fair few miles in it, looked after it - but this hiccup in the low klm will drive you to drink!!!

Will keep a post on the progress

Oh - and all the BM SA that read this - complain to your tight ass management that the customers are on to you!

I am not a mechanic/car-freak but i am not an idiot either.

BMW you have a real, live, known fault on your hands here and you are using the ostrich method of problem solving!!! Not good enough
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Semper Fi!!

hey guys sorry for the late reply so i rescheduled and i just got my car back yesterday.. so the bmwna rep that came to look at my car said that he couldn't find nothing wrong with the car (they couldn't replicate the problem .. kick in and out of 3rd gear) .. my SA said that they took the car for a road test and drove it for about 30 miles and nothing happened and nothing was found abnormal, they checked the fluids, ran a computer diagnostic on the EGS and there were no faults.

im not happy with the results and when i went to pick up the car it was late so i wasn't able to talk to my SA because they were all gone.. I'm going back on Monday and going to have a talk with him and the service manager. also on my way home the car did the kick again.. its just one of those things that happens when it happens .. I'm getting to the point that were i want to let go of the car and just get something else .. BMW of course lol.. but yeah since its one of the major components its just an issue i cant ignore.

so now I'm either thinking of getting something else maybe an 08' E60 or lease a E9x coupe .. but yeah those are my last resort options of i cant get no were with this transmission issue..

Last edited by carlos916; 06-04-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: E60 550i sport
^ You will probably experience the same issue if you get a 08 E60, as my 550 kick from time to time.

And off course BMW's definite answer to all our issue "WE CAN'T REPLICATE THE PROBLEM"
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Semper Fi!!

^yeah that sucks.. well hope i get something sorted out tomorrow

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: E60 545i B/B, Manual
Is this problem present only cars with auto transmissions or both?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Semper Fi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margal View Post
Is this problem present only cars with auto transmissions or both?
from what ive read in the E60's its all been automatics with the problems.. not all but some... more of an 545 issue than the 530 like me..

but ill be on my way to the dealership to talk about my results here in a bit so hopefully something good comes out of that..

Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 AM

05 545i transmission surging

My 05 545i had the same issue as you described. I tried to get it diagnosed throughout the last one and one half years but it never did it at the dealership. It finally did it and it turned out to be the valve control body in the trans. They replaced the part and it fixed the problem. The car is a CPO car so it cost me only 50 dollars but the bill has over four thousand dollars. I hope the helps everyone having the same problem.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 2005 545
I am new to bmw I got a 05 545i and I having the same issue i thought it was normal till I found this. I also have very bad jerk starting off when the engine is cold from 1st to 2nd it does it a couple of times. I just printed this out and will take it to the dealer next week.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD731 View Post
My 05 545i had the same issue as you described. I tried to get it diagnosed throughout the last one and one half years but it never did it at the dealership. It finally did it and it turned out to be the valve control body in the trans. They replaced the part and it fixed the problem. The car is a CPO car so it cost me only 50 dollars but the bill has over four thousand dollars. I hope the helps everyone having the same problem.

The valve body is the Mechatronics. BMW just calls it mechatronics.

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 AM

PLEASE GIVE ME UR OPINOIN
I have an '05 545i. I have These same issues. I have thought about replacing the mech. But don't know if it is worth it. The car has 106,000 miles and still owe about $9k on it. Apart from the mech. Issue I absolutely love the car. Would it be worth it to get the mech replaced for $4000 since out of warranty or trade the car in? Have really had only a few minor repairs on the car. I would like to keep the car as long as I could. Should I just go ahead and replace the unit? Could not doing this repair cause any future issues?
Thanx - srry so long