Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
this is really good information to have!! thanks for taking the time to contact ZF and share with us. I wonder if anyone has already tried this and if so, what the results were?

2007 328xi coupe/Auto/sport/premium/black saph/saddle-turned in Aug. 2010

1983 Porsche 944/5sp/Gemini Gray

Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
I FEEL ya PAIN!! I just had to replace my transmission on an 05 530i with only 76k miles on it. I owned the car less than one month. I was heading to work and a transmission malfunction message come up. This is my first bmw.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745 li bmw
Transmission is slipping

My 745li jerks and hestitates when I hit the gas at times and the brakes. Im going to take my car to my mechanic so that he can test drive my car and put it on the machine. I hope and pray its not the tranny.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
2007 530i e60

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share my BMW ZF transmission problem. A little background. I have a 2007 530I E60 with the sport package. It just recently clocked 100K on the odometer. I've had trouble with hard shifts and transmission jerkiness since hitting about 50K. A few weeks ago while on highway going from 3rd to 4th my engined surged and slammed into gear. The transmission warning light came on and the car went into "safe transmission" mode. I took the car to dealer and was told I needed a new transmission $8800 total. Here was my input. I said the car is Blue Booked at about 18K. Why would I spend that much for a new tranny?
The dealer was not an option. I did a few internet searches and found a great transmission tech that has dealt with BMW transmission issues before (no reverse.org).
Went to him and what we found was a shocker. The transmission friction plates/splines were disintegrating. The transmission fluid was clear but there was a black residue on the oil pan and other components. The friction plates were out of tolerance by several mm. You can physically see the material wearing and falling off the actual rings. My tech said that the transmission was slipping by a few hundred rpm. Not noticeable to a driver but can cause havoc with the computer that is trying to up shift/down shift. Well he rebuilt the tranny and basically overhauled it. Total for repair was $5800. I saved 3K in repair but still wondering. Here is the question. Is this something we need to organize as a class action? Seems like BMW would know they are having problems with the ZF transmissions. Easy for the dealers just to swap out trannys. I would have never found out what the problem was if I had just swapped out my tranny. 100k miles and having a transmission go seems like terrible PR. BMW also pushes the "lifetime" moniker on the transmissions. I did let them know about my situation but have yet to hear back from them. Hope this helps with some of the questions and issues some of you may have. I know it's frustrating. Thanks
Eddie
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to motivemods Send a message via MSN to motivemods Send a message via Yahoo to motivemods Send a message via Skype™ to motivemods
Mein Auto: 645
i'm still hoping for a recall on this issue but from what the multiple dealers (one of them being a buddy of mine) have said that will never happen on an item like that so perhaps a class action suit is the only way to go
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathchamp View Post
I just bought a 2006 525i. Does anyone know of a good extended warranty that I could purchase?
Acesswarranty royal plan i have it
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I hadn't looked at this post in a while and then when driving the car today it slammed into gear, sending everything in the space above the shifter into the floor. So frustrating BMW won't admit there is a problem.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Here's the worst news. 5k miles on my brand new tranny and it sucks. Still surges and can't decide when and what gear to be in.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtshtx View Post
I hadn't looked at this post in a while and then when driving the car today it slammed into gear, sending everything in the space above the shifter into the floor. So frustrating BMW won't admit there is a problem.
Yeah, it is ridiculous. Mine surged today after putting it in drive, and if I had not of still had my foot still on the brake, while waiting on a car to pass, before I drove away, my car would have slammed into the car in front of me. This is a problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
I am awaking this sleeping thread. My 545i started doing this 5th gear hiccup problem. I will be replacing my mechatronic the end of the week. Here is where I purchased the unit.
http://www.thectsc.com/
They come preprogrammed and are plug and play. Will chime back in and give update when the job is done.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to motivemods Send a message via MSN to motivemods Send a message via Yahoo to motivemods Send a message via Skype™ to motivemods
may not be that easy. you have to also swap some fluids i believe.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 525i
Yeah, I am with Motivemods..... I don't think it is that simple. I know they will typically come without fluid because I think it takes like 12 quarts of AFT Fluid that is specific to BMW. So, please make sure that you have all of the steps and perform it properly. I am curious to see how this unfolds as I am almost ready to trade my 06' 525i in if it is going to cost an arm and a leg to have it corrected at the dealership.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Thanks guys, I'm a professional technician. I have a case of the proper fluid coming with it.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
I think all these problems came with mechatronic leaks. If you it could leak into wire harness, so you could drive for months and don't see any leak under the car, only difference could a tranny behavior. Then a lot places where owner had fixed a mechatronic issue and it could serviced with wrong tranny fluid. It's important to use ZF fluid because all valve are designed for specific viscosity, and also after fluid was replaced it should adaptive values are re-set.
Just my 2 cents on it.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Hey Mfrasca, when are you going to be putting the new part on your vehicle? I would love to hear about the update as I want to order a part of my vehicle and then have it installed if it works for you.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM

I own an auto repair shop in Natick Ma. The unit is suppose to be here Thursday. Will try an install Friday. Will let you know how I make out. Are you having the Same problem?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Yes, I have been dealing with the issue for 2 years now. I keep having the Tranny Adaptation values reset and that resolves the issue for about 6 months to a year and then it starts doing it again. I was thinking that I might have some bad spark plugs or coils, so I was going to attempt to change them as it really doesn't seem the transmission is bad, but who knows.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Past Sponsor

I've been having the issue but it seems to be worse/occur more often in warmer weather. The mechatronic also has to be coded to the vehicle as far as i know unless it comes pre-coded but i don't see how that is possible unless the company providing it has your VIN or the car there. even if they had the VIN i'm not sure it'd work bc the mechatronic has to be connected to the vehicle bus to communicate properly.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 545
Coded specifically to the vehicle? What a Cluster eff!! Not doubting you but why do this?

I would hope that they could get all the info necessary from build & date codes in the VIN but I am certainly no expert.

Last edited by Damon54; 06-01-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:43 AM

Installed the Mechatronic Thursday night. Pretty straight forward job. Took me about 4 hours. So far car seems to be fine, can tell it is still going through adaption period. No more 5 gear hiccup, delay going into reverse and hard 2-1 downshift. Time will tell.

And for any of you non believers it is plug and play. This thing comes direct from ZF the people that write the software for BMW. All they needed was the Vin.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Past Sponsor

ah ok so they do code the part in house to the VIN. that's what I figured they would have to do. thanks for letting us know about the verdict! guess this will be the next thing on the list
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM
Past Sponsor

you wouldn't happen to have a step by step DIY on this would you?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivemods View Post
you wouldn't happen to have a step by step DIY on this would you?
This is what I used.

http://www.zftranspart.com/images/custom/mecha.pdf
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Glad this worked for you. I think I might order the part as well. I've seen these instructions before, but was a skeptic about it, but glad that someone has had success with it. I really love the car, but can't stand the delayed 2-1 shift that I experience.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
That may be plausible - I live in Denver, and they use more ethanol in our gas here than is average. I don't think I can escape it though, if that's the case, unless I drive to Texas every time I want to fill up the tank...
you use your 545i as daily driver?