Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i
I did not get an alignment n I didn't go to the dealer for that. Now I know that I have an alignment.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay25 View Post
When I am driving sometimes, I got a the transmission malfunction that comes on the dash board then the vehicle lost power. I have to pull over, turn it off n turn it back on and everything is fine.
Mine was just the solenoids when it did that. Did they give you any info on what codes it gave?

Quote:
Both, front and rear. Uneven wear.
Probably bad alignment
Old 12-24-2012, 04:52 PM

76166 Transmission Faulty, Under EGS 4F85 ratio monitoring. They checked for leaks, no leaks.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 AM

Schpenxel,
I posted the code that was given to me by BMW. Any idea what to make of it? Thx
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
DIY'er

I'll look at it when I get home tomorrow--but I THINK mine gave the same ratio monitoring error prior to replacing the solenoids
Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoelax07 View Post
So for the past several months I have noticed that when my 5 gets between 35 and 40 mph it starts surging, like it starts loosing power but gains it back, and it only happens within 35-40 and just steady driving. I took it to the dealer, and there are no codes present, the service manager, tech's and the advisor all took a ride and felt it each time. They said they contacted BMW NA and that they wont do anything, unless it throws a code, but when I call them(BMWNA) to talk(complain) about it they tell me it has to have a code as well, and yet I still ask them why I am driving around their car that has issues that they wont fix, and all they can say is sorry until a code comes up. Has anyone had any issues like this with the surging transmission, or know how to talk to Customer Relations so that something does happen? It's just really annoying driving around a car that has issues, and they wont stand behind their product.
I had a small leak on my Tranny and after about 1/2 to 1 qt leaked out the surging stoped. Well it stopped until I had the trans serviced. My mechanic said that surging is caused because of a leak in one of the internal seals in the valve body. Not sure but it I would have to see a scematic to tell for sure if that makes sense or not. Good luck
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Schpenxel,
I posted the code that was given to me by BMW. Any idea what to make of it? Thx
Hey sorry, very late reply here. That was one of the same codes I got prior to changing out the solenoids. Can't say that will fix yours for sure, but it did on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckecoleman View Post
I had a small leak on my Tranny and after about 1/2 to 1 qt leaked out the surging stoped. Well it stopped until I had the trans serviced. My mechanic said that surging is caused because of a leak in one of the internal seals in the valve body. Not sure but it I would have to see a scematic to tell for sure if that makes sense or not. Good luck
Changing the mechatronics seems to nearly always fix that particular issue. I still haven't decided if it's an issue with the EDS solenoids or a seal somewhere as you suggested. Any way you could get your mechanic to tell you exactly what seal it is? I'd love to know.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM

I took my 530 in today to bmw of Manhattan dealership to have the trany replaced for $ 7,300. Anyone who has a trany surge, be prepared to put that cash. No BMW dealership will replace trany parts. It's what it is. Unless a good reputable Indy can do the job.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM
DIY'er

Funny, I fixed mine for $400.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 AM

Are u kidding me $400? Never buy another BMW, my first n my last.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Are u kidding me $400? Never buy another BMW, my first n my last.
Yup.

Solenoids are a common problem and can be replaced for that. Mine shifts like new now.

Worst case you could have replaced the mechatronics for 1500 + fluid/labor. It's pretty easy to do yourself though.

Really sucks that I (we) even have to do that though.. I had a civic that had like 250K miles on it and I haven't done anything to it except oil and timing belt once
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 AM

Yes it sucks. 7K is no pennies. I wonder why there is no action law suit against BMW. If BMW is taken to court, I am pretty sure, they will fix this issue. From what I learn, GM, Benz & BMW have the same transmissions. Is that correct?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Hey Guys,

Today for the first time I felt what everyone else has been talking about, around 34-40 mph the car seems like it doesn't know what gear to be in 4th or 5th. It gently switches back and forth between the two until I get to about 42 mph or step on the accelerator a bit harder then it goes away. There is also a slight delay when I put the car in reverse before it begins to move. The car has 60k miles on it; this allowed me to purchase a B2B New Car warranty from my credit union when I purchased the car this past December. It covers everything as if the car was new and seals are included!!!

I put the car up on a lift and saw no leaks at all coming from the tranny. I am dropping the car off this week to an Indy to get it checked out. Based on what I have read; it appears to be the valve body seal needs to be replaced. Is this the same as the mechatronics sleeve?

Also, for you guys that are doing this job yourself, how in the hell are you getting the oil back into the tranny?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
Hey Guys,

Today for the first time I felt what everyone else has been talking about, around 34-40 mph the car seems like it doesn't know what gear to be in 4th or 5th. It gently switches back and forth between the two until I get to about 42 mph or step on the accelerator a bit harder then it goes away. There is also a slight delay when I put the car in reverse before it begins to move. The car has 60k miles on it; this allowed me to purchase a B2B New Car warranty from my credit union when I purchased the car this past December. It covers everything as if the car was new and seals are included!!!

I put the car up on a lift and saw no leaks at all coming from the tranny. I am dropping the car off this week to an Indy to get it checked out. Based on what I have read; it appears to be the valve body seal needs to be replaced. Is this the same as the mechatronics sleeve?

Also, for you guys that are doing this job yourself, how in the hell are you getting the oil back into the tranny?
I would recommend you try to get them to just replace the whole mechatronics assembly with at least a rebuilt one from ZF (via thectsc.com) unless they're willing to just replace the whole transmission--that would be even better!! No, the mechatronics sleeve and valve body seals are not the same. If you did not see any fluid leaking, then the mechatronics sleeve is fine, although I would have it replaced as well if at all possible while they're working on it. It's relatively cheap and known to fail.

There are a couple of different terms people use regarding seals on these transmissions that are hard to distinguish between. The "mechatronics seal" is what people usually refer to the seal between the electronic connector between the mechatronics unit and the plug from the car. It is #2 in the drawing below. It is accessible and it is common before it to begin leaking. It basically keeps the oil in the transmission but lets the electrical connectors out.

As far as the "valve body" seal, that could be many different things, although technically I would think it is one of the seals actually inside the valve body. I have read about these transmission extensively and would recommend just replacing the whole mechatronics assembly if possible unless you have a transmission shop that really knows what they're doing on these. There are shops that will rebuild the valve body portion for under $1K, but since you're under warranty, hopefully they'll go the "easy" way and just replace it.

How much longer do you have on the warranty? It sounds like you have a while, so at least you won't be bad off if they put a patch on it this time then it fails again later and they have to change some expensive parts.

As far as getting fluid in, it depends on which model you have for the specifics, but on mine there was a plug on the passengers side of the transmission. I had to buy a hand pump and snake a hose up into that fill hole. You first fill it up until it overflows with the car off, then start the car and let it get to I believe it was 104* and add more until it overflows again. Yes, being under the car, right beside the hot exhaust pipes is not a very joyful experience. Once the fluid is slowly dribbling out and the temperature is in the recommended range (104 to 120 I believe it was), then you put the bolt back in and you're done

Also, for the record, I doubt that picture is of your actual transmission. It was just the first one I found googling that showed something similar, so don't take the picture too literally as far as how the layout goes

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-27-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks schpenxel,

I have 5 years (2018) or 39,000 miles left on the warranty or which ever comes first. I only put around 6,000 miles per year on my DD, I have a feeling I maybe upgrading in a few years anyway. I truly love this car and hope the newer models still keep that Ultimate Driving Machine feeling!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM
DIY'er

Cool, hopefully they take care of it then.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM

If the mechatronics sleeve was leaking, wouldn't I be able to see this leak externally?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
DIY'er

Yes. The purpose of that seal is to keep oil in the transmission while letting the electrical connectors pass through.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM

Got it, maybe the leak is just beginning and this may explain the sudden symptoms I am having. I will post an update later this week.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Guys, by the way i forgot to mention that I wrote to BMW customer relations headquarters in the northeast about my situation, they agreed to pay for half of the cost. The dealer still has my car. I am not sure when I am going to get it back. I will up date.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM

$3,500 for a new tranny?! It's better than having to foot the entire bill. I'd be curious if the solenoid change would have fixed your problem. Either way you are getting a new tranny and that is sweet.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapiano View Post
$3,500 for a new tranny?! It's better than having to foot the entire bill. I'd be curious if the solenoid change would have fixed your problem. Either way you are getting a new tranny and that is sweet.
Indeed. I wish there were enough cases out there where we could say for sure the solenoids actually help in most cases.. I hate telling people to go that route when I only know 2 or 3 people who have tried it (although it helped all of them so I guess the stats are pretty good lol)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 'X3M'
Hey guys, I have a stupid question. In relation to the trans, where exactly is the mechatronics unit located on the 535xi?

I need to grab one off a 535xi for my swap. I found a guy with a wrecked 535xi but I need to tell him where the computer is...

Thanks in advance.
Prototype E83 2007 Monaco 'X3M' | N54T Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | VRSF CP & DPs | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" Piping w/X-Pipe | E92 M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" 310M | Michelin PSS 275/305 | F10 M5 & F30 ///M Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Sways | BMW Performance Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom BMW ///M Body Treatment | CF Trim | BMW Performance Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Performance SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More
Old 02-05-2013, 04:48 PM
DIY'er

Watch my video... It shows the whole thing being taken out

I'm sure that model isn't bolt for bolt the same as mine since it's the x version but ultimately it's in the same place, i.e. the bottom of the transmission. With the pan off you'll be staring right at it.

FYI, the mechatronics is the combination of the transmission computer, solenoids, and valve body. It's not just a computer.

The computer does have to be programmed to your VIN # in order to work, so you can't just pop them over from one car to the other as far as I know.

Here's a good picture of the whole assembly still connected to the transmission. Note that this is NOT your car, just a picture I found for reference

Last edited by schpenxel; 02-05-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 'X3M'
Thanks very much. That's what I thought. I really appreciate the thoroughness of your reply.

Yea, the programming isn't an issue. Just looking at the parts diagrams confused me. I didn't know the trans computer and mechatronics assembly would be inside the Oil Pan, but it actually makes sense now.
Prototype E83 2007 Monaco 'X3M' | N54T Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | VRSF CP & DPs | ER Dual Oil Coolers | Dual 2.5" Piping w/X-Pipe | E92 M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" 310M | Michelin PSS 275/305 | F10 M5 & F30 ///M Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Sways | BMW Performance Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom BMW ///M Body Treatment | CF Trim | BMW Performance Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Performance SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More