Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
I typed half page of problem and than I wanted to upload some photos but unsuccesfuly. Lost all my text and I did not figure out how to upload. I had some errors CD99, CD9D 4F86 , cleared them , drived they went away and now is all nice they didnt come back.

Some times there is this message on Idrive that gearbox can change gears/positions without brake? Same as kskane member have it. Is this because of solenoids inside of gearbox or solenoid which is outside? Is there any fast diagnosis or I need to take apart half of interior to check this?

Last edited by grimma; 02-20-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 91 525i
Hey guy's good information I'm reading on this post, I have a cousin who has a 08 528i I'm not sure if you can call it a surge but he describes a short loss of torque then a jerk when the torque kicked in, he says it will only occur after driving a lot of miles at a time.
I myself own a e34 and sometimes experience the same but only from a standstill . I would like to get information on how to update cpu software and who does it ? Also I've heard similar about the valve body as well !
Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 91 525i
Your saying you had to get the valve body replaced ? How much does it cost on average ?
Old 03-01-2014, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYal View Post
Same thing here, does it for a while, then goes away.... like the OP, it happens at very low rpm's at the same speeds - seems like the car wants to shift down, but then just shift back up, with a little jerk or knock....... at first, I thought I had a misfire on one cylinder,... still do not know thoug...???

i have exact that problem for about 3 years, dunno whats wrong .
Please help. it only happens when the car is cold in the morning.
Car doesnt send any message or warning about this issue.
Thats bother me so much
I have changed the filter and the oil about 40.000km

is that automatic transmission or something else like O2 sensor?

Last edited by blasius; 03-12-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 AM

???
Old 03-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: e38
Okay so I got the front end fixed. Test drove it and found the following.

1,2,3 shift smooth as silk and downshifting is pretty non issue 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 it hangs and just goes failsafe.

Fluid level checked twice. Etc all is good there.

I think it's the solenoids. The 4 to 5 range is pretty consistent issue. The lower gears are VERY smooth now so fresh fluid and filter did help that much.

Solenoids?

4F89/17E8 this is the code that most commonly pops up like clockwork every single time.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I bought my '05 545i in 2008, and it has done the exact same thing. It had 22,000 miles on it...and now has 95,000 and has done this the whole time since buying it. It always happens when holding a steady speed between 35-40 miles per hour...almost like the engine is missing every 2-3 seconds, but like I said...it has done it since buying it. It doesn't happen when accelerating through that "mph band." Of course, the dealer says they don't notice it. I have always put up with it.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdave73 View Post
I bought my '05 545i in 2008, and it has done the exact same thing. It had 22,000 miles on it...and now has 95,000 and has done this the whole time since buying it. It always happens when holding a steady speed between 35-40 miles per hour...almost like the engine is missing every 2-3 seconds, but like I said...it has done it since buying it. It doesn't happen when accelerating through that "mph band." Of course, the dealer says they don't notice it. I have always put up with it.
It's a pretty particular situation required to make it happen.. I doubt I'd notice it test driving a car

Regardless, it's pretty well confirmed to be a mechatronics and/or solenoid issue. Wish I knew what the actual problem is, but I do not
Old 03-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasius View Post
i have exact that problem for about 3 years, dunno whats wrong .
Please help. it only happens when the car is cold in the morning.
Car doesnt send any message or warning about this issue.
Thats bother me so much
I have changed the filter and the oil about 40.000km

is that automatic transmission or something else like O2 sensor?

for my solution it may be the problem hydroblock in transmission.
Is there any other word for this part? hydroblock
Old 03-12-2014, 03:01 PM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasius View Post
for my solution it may be the problem hydroblock in transmission.
Is there any other word for this part? hydroblock
I assume you mean valve body?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i, 07 530xi
Did anyone find out more on why these trannies have these issues? I did some tune up work on an e90 (6hp19) that did not have this shifting problem but afterwards it seems that now it does... harsh downshift, slow shifting between gears etc. seemed fine before I swapped plugs, filters and cleaned the vanos solenoids... I feel bad because it seems like I infected it.. lol

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckecoleman View Post
My car used to do this 35-40 shift thing and I did 2 things that seems to have fixed it (People tell me that I am crazy but it seems to be fine now)
I changed my spark plugs to Nipon Dinzo and I gapped them to the low end (I forget the number, I think it was .032-.040, I gapped .032) . This helped considerably a but did not fix the problem 100% .
I also was developing a bit of a drip from the tranny pan (shortly after I changed the plugs). My filter was due a change and I waited because I did not want to spend the $$$. When I lost about 1/2 to 1 qt . The tranny totally stopped the hesitation/ shift thing. When they topped it off it started doing it just a bit. I think the plugs were the main contributor but I do believe the fluid level had an effect. I believe this enough that I asked them to let the overflow run about 1/2 qt out after servicing upon changing the pan/filter assy.
Why do I believe this works. Gapping the plugs on the low end of the spec will help the low end torque by increasing the intensity of the spark. (Something people do for detonation issues). I think when the transmission is up shifting the engine stammers causing the tranny to down shift it senses that it should be in the higher gear so it up shifts.... (It goes on)
This is why I say the plugs are a must and the tranny fluid seems to help.
Good luck with yours (like I said mine doesn't do it any more)
Chuck
I didn't know what to make of this solution at first but beginning to wonder.. I swapped plugs on an e90 that didn't have the shifting problems... now it does with brand new bosch plugs. Old ngk plugs were corroded...

Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Hello,
Bimmer Lovers,

I have the same problem. The transmission sounds like it fell out or like I have been hit from behind. I have not taken it to the dealer yet for fear of the cost. I have 147,000 miles on the 2007 530i.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kgmtech358
Mein Auto: 2004 745li
Has anyone with the transmission surge problem just tried replacing
the solenoid on the mechatronic unit that is causing the surge problem
rather than replace them all. I only ask because I can use the manual shift
and car will do this surge in 5th gear and 5th gear only at this steady light
throttle. Shift it down to 4th and maintain same speed and smooth, click it back
up to 5th and get transmission surge. 5th gear is where the surge problem
is happening, so I'm curious can you just replace solenoid that handles 5th
gear and fix surging problem or must you replace them all?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Transmission problem ( sudden surge) 2007 530i

It looks like the old girl is going to get traded. It happened again yesterday. And reading all of the stuff you guys put on here about the subject it doesn't look as if we can solve it here. So off to the Porsche dealer I go. Sad too, I really liked this car. never had the problem out of the other three Bimmers I have had.

Too much money to be dealing with a problem like this. After 147,000 miles it time for it to go.

Last edited by wat; 04-04-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmtech358 View Post
Has anyone with the transmission surge problem just tried replacing
the solenoid on the mechatronic unit that is causing the surge problem
rather than replace them all. I only ask because I can use the manual shift
and car will do this surge in 5th gear and 5th gear only at this steady light
throttle. Shift it down to 4th and maintain same speed and smooth, click it back
up to 5th and get transmission surge. 5th gear is where the surge problem
is happening, so I'm curious can you just replace solenoid that handles 5th
gear and fix surging problem or must you replace them all?
It's probably possible to replace just one or two that really need it, but I have no idea which ones that would be. You can find online some logic diagrams that show what solenoids are used for each gear--maybe you can figure it out with that

For me, the trouble of taking the pan off and removing the valve body made it just not worth only doing one or two.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 545i Sport
05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help!

I gotta say BMW really dropped the ball on this one! There should be no reason we all should be having the same issues with our trannies. I know BMW did not produce the tranny but their badging is on the car! It angers me to no end that they did not do a major recall on these trannies regardless of warranty. I love the cars but hate the dealership and the piecemeal and corner cutting done by such a prestigious car company. Bmw should really be ashamed on this but yet the sweep it under the rug and they're on to the next one. We should file a class action law suit! Thats my rant.

Last edited by Jaystyles; 04-08-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto:
I agree with you.I just bought my 545i 1 month ago and I want to drive it off a cliff I've got tranny proplems oil leeks active steering light keeps comming on my brakes all off a sudden don't work you name it it's happening.I even bought a warranty for it and they won't cover any of it am very unhappy I hate this car!!!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 545i Sport
Lwarence,

You should put the warranty company on blast. Start a tread and tell everyone why they should avoid that warranty co.
I had all of those issues with my 545i Lucky i found a couple of good indys around my way and all has been ok.
After buying my 545i i learned these cars were a nightmare to maintain. They are issues BMW never addressed and as owners we're left holding the bag.

My advise to you is to scour craiglist talk everyone with a german car see who's there mechanic and just negotiate your price until you find that indy that is skilled and reasonable in labor rate. Its the only reason i still own my 545i. After this Im sticking with the 6cyclinders. Although i hear 550 are better to own.
I know your pain.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
I agree with Jaystyles 100%. You should also check out all of the BMW forums, particularly the regional forums here and ask around for recommended indies specializing in BMW/German cars.

I've been a longtime BMW owner and I would have to say that the 545i is by far the worst one I've ever owned. When I bought mine I had it thoroughly checked out before I bought it and no issues were found whatsoever, which was not surprising since it was well maintained by the previous owner at a BMW dealer. However, in the last 8k miles I have replaced a transmission, timing cover gaskets, valley pan gasket, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and alternator gasket for a total cost of just under $10k in repairs. Lucky for me, I did my homework on warranty companies and chose Route66 through my credit union and they've been great to deal with. They've covered almost 100% of that.

I'm really curious to know what warranty company you have and why they refuse to cover anything? Out those f_ckers so others don't get screwed and pay for a useless warranty.

2003 540i M Sport, Titanium Silver For Sale
Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm sitting in my car waiting for a ****ing tow truck I just bought this car one month ago bmw. 545i everything is going wrong I would rather drive a ford tempo

Old 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto:
The belt for the altenater just came off and my car is overheating should I kill this engine ? Maybe the warranty will cover a new engine?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto:
The warranty company is called the northridge lubrico warranty protection policy.limited superior protection my ass!!!!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto:
The tow truck driver just told me that BMW cars are the most towed cars he tows just my luck.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwarence View Post
The warranty company is called the northridge lubrico warranty protection policy.limited superior protection my ass!!!!

How many miles when you bought it? Did the car have any service records? I spoke to an indy not long ago who said the it isn't that these cars are a lemons, it's more likely that the previous owners did not maintain the car properly. So when someone buys them used they walk right into a ****storm of deferred maintenance.. which was my same experience on my e39. I didn't have it inspected until after I bought it.. very expensive mistake on my part that I will never make again. After rebuilding the tranny among other repairs at home this winter without a lift.. trust me when I say an inspection would've saved me a few thousand. That's doing 95% of the work myself. Double that ballpark estimate, if I had taken it to an Indy. Triple that if I had gone to the dealer.
But I can say now that the car is running great and currently error code free. Lol!

Now my e60, on the other hand suffers from this common tranny issue discussed on this thread.. I've done all of the cheaper fixes with some measurable improvement. But next job is to change the solenoids as several have previously to finally nip this in the bud.

Hang in there. The car just needs a little wallet love..unfortunately. if you can diy and afford to invest, the car will work itself out and you'll eventually be very happy. There is a wealth of knowledge on this board and others that is available to you should you decide to stick it out.