Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Split I am in the sames position as you, only the 2-1 downshift as I am stopping gives me problems. I have an appointment this Friday. I want a new mechatronics. Anything less than that is bull$hit, and I will raise hell. I will update next week.

Last edited by Bad Debt; 06-29-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to GPFboyJS
Mein Auto: 2004 E60
So just got the car back from the dealership. $140 to reprogram.

So far so good. Not going to try and see if the shifting is happening. Going to drive normal and notice if and when it does happen again.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sports Package
Update -
Took the car back to the dealer this morning, went for a ride with a tech and demonstrated the issue. They just called me back and stated that they sent up the service codes for which there were no errors in to BMW and told them what was happening. They responded back later in the afternoon and told the dealer to replace the mechatronics. They have it in stock and are installing it. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togles View Post
The Software upgrade DID NOT work.
It would appear that now at 30-35 mph that this problem occurs. I dont recall it ever happening at this speed before. I have tried to get it to happen at the 4-50 and 50-60 mph range but it doesnt seem to happen there anymore.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
Update: After a few software 'tweaks', BMW authorized a transmission replacement under my CPO warranty. I should have it back sometime Friday.

Kudos to the dealer and BMW for stepping up and taking care of the customer (hopefully).
Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Timing is everything

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I wonder why some of us are getting our mechatronics units switched out while others are getting new transmissions? I'm not too gear savvy but I don't think they are one in the same? What are the chances that the actual gears fail this early?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM

^^ Sir I wonder the same thing. With 39,000 miles on my 05. I wonder if I am only experiencing minor tranny issues that will manifest into bigger ones once the CPO warranty is up in 14 months.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Timing is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Debt View Post
^^ Sir I wonder the same thing. With 39,000 miles on my 05. I wonder if I am only experiencing minor tranny issues that will manifest into bigger ones once the CPO warranty is up in 14 months.
Since the mechatronic replacement my car is driving great. I even notice it goes into gear faster (ie putting it into reverse would take a minuet to engage before the mechatronics swap)

If you have any issues, I would take it in as their are TSB from BMW on this and numerous goodwill repairs being offered. Like you I am under CPO so I only paid the $50 deductible.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:56 AM

^^ my appointment is this Friday.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
I wonder if some people are saying tranny in general terms but the dealer actually only did a mechatronics swap? Maybe they are getting whole rebuilt units because the dealer doesn't want to deal with the hassle of tearing into the tranny case and instead just drop it and put whole rebuild in?

My tech told me that having an actually gear issue is an extreme rarity. The mech unit does most of the work changing the gears. There's a bunch of valves and a whole lot of electronics that are always working. They usually don't do anything to the gears on rebuilds anyway. They usually rebuild the valve bodies and seals and that's what the mechatronics is.

I'm glad more and more people are getting good results with complaining about this and getting the right fix. I hope they are all logged in and BMW starts to take notice of the problem. It's got to be something with this ZF tranny because a number of us all have the same issue.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLoins View Post
I wonder why some of us are getting our mechatronics units switched out while others are getting new transmissions? I'm not too gear savvy but I don't think they are one in the same? What are the chances that the actual gears fail this early?
I'm wondering why some people are getting relatively little pushback from the dealers (or at least the dealers have a good plan of attack in mind) while others are getting nowhere. My dealer put in some fuel injector cleaner and while I've noticed a slight acceleration improvement, the shifting hiccups are still present. Next step is to go back in and have the regional rep go for a drive with me.

I know SirLoins posted his dealer info, would everyone else that has gotten their mechatronics or tranny replaced be willing to post their dealer and SA info? That might be helpful for those of us that haven't gotten resolution yet.

Last edited by mikewils; 06-30-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Well, Day 3 after Re-Program of the Transmission and it happened. The hiccups from 35-40.

Next is the Transmission Fluid.

Here is a question for everyone, I have already done my 100,000 mile service (currently 132K) and no where in the 100,000 mile service was the transmission fluid replaced. I have found through the Service & Warranty manual on the '04 E60 that the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is to be replaced every 100,000 miles.

So there is no question that I will get the transmission fluid replaced for free or for the $50 for the Ext. Main. of the CPO, but the real question is do you think I can say that becuase they did not replace the transmission fluid @ 100,000 miles that the mechatronics has failed and have them eat the cost or most of it on replacing the mechatronics? Does that seem like a reasonable argument?

Also, should I deal with the Dealership at that point or should I escalate to regional people?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Timing is everything

@GPFboysJR

I wouldn't pay for the transmission fluid flush, or even have the dealership do it. Start your argument with the proper TSB's and other examples of PUMA cases on this thread that have had the mechatronics units switched out. I was under CPO and a PUMA case was opened on the matter for me. I know others out of warranty who have had goodwill repairs, only having to pay for the labor for the repair.

The fact is that BMW is aware of this issue, so you'll just need to get the dealership on board with opening a PUMA case in your honor.

I see your also from Atlanta. Where are you getting serviced at? Mine was done at United BMW in Roswell.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
I wonder if some people are saying tranny in general terms but the dealer actually only did a mechatronics swap? Maybe they are getting whole rebuilt units because the dealer doesn't want to deal with the hassle of tearing into the tranny case and instead just drop it and put whole rebuild in?

My tech told me that having an actually gear issue is an extreme rarity. The mech unit does most of the work changing the gears. There's a bunch of valves and a whole lot of electronics that are always working. They usually don't do anything to the gears on rebuilds anyway. They usually rebuild the valve bodies and seals and that's what the mechatronics is.

I'm glad more and more people are getting good results with complaining about this and getting the right fix. I hope they are all logged in and BMW starts to take notice of the problem. It's got to be something with this ZF tranny because a number of us all have the same issue.
Good question, I wonder if it's because there's really two different issues? I have never experienced the 30-40 mph jolt, my problem was strictly the 2-1 downshift at low speeds coming to a stop.
The problem was repeatable every time you came to a stop. Even after programming changes, the problem was repeatable. Fortunately, this makes it easier for the dealer to resolve...

Most automakers are replacing transmissions instead of risking repairs that might not fix the problem due to bad diagnosis, IMO.

I guess getting a list together with the specific issue and resulting repairs from board members might shed some light on what's really happening.

I'll post the details after I pick-up the car either later today or Friday.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLoins View Post
I see your also from Atlanta. Where are you getting serviced at? Mine was done at United BMW in Roswell.
I have been using Global Imports here in Atlanta, but I am not opposed to going to United or BMW of South Atlanta. Not sure I care who fixes the car, I would just like it fixed.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 PM

OK so on the way out of town, the car hid a minor snag. Driving down I-85 S and all of a sudden Dynamic Drive malfunction, mind you I am doing 70+MPH. Then no more than 1 second later Active Steering Failure, ABS Failure, CBC Failure (Sealt Belt System), Electrical Malfunction. Still shocked by what is being displayed, nothing says stop driving or pull over. Then I look back at the instrument cluster and the tachometer is showing RPM's but the speedometer shows nothing. 0 MPH yet still doing I would guess 70 MPH or so, could not tell since there was no speed. Then another 30 seconds passed and everything electrical stops working and the car starts loosing power, iDrive is blank, instrument cluster is all off. Nothing!!! Then out of nowhere power is restored all systems back up still with all the same errors except I had a new one now, "Transmission Failure" Woohooo!!! Not what I needed to say while heading out on a long vacation.

So I managed to pull over and turn the car off to see if a system reboot will help. It kind of did. Only half the errors were gone, but Dynamic Drive, Steering, and ABS were all still there and maybe some others but did not pay attention. We looked up in the BMW book for the closest dealership and fond one in Columbus GA only 30 miles. We made it there and had to have them give us a loaner while and leave the problem child with them.

I will say that when we stopped and went inside the key reader did say that there was a Dynamic Drive malfunction but nothing else, and when the SA went outside to start the car up there were no faults showing. Go figure! At this point if they cannot find anything with the car thenit is out of here. This is finally the last straw.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
I called my Service Advisor today for an update, and he informed me that the sleeve thing was causing the leak, and that he was going to contact my extended warranty company, Vehicle One, to open a claim.

Regarding the 35-40 shifting issue, he said there was a software update, that has resolved the issue for many. It seems a couple of people have had success with that on the forums and/or this thread, so maybe it'll work. It doesn't matter to me much, either way, as long as it is fixed, and along with the issue being resolved when you get the hard shift when decelerating to 0.
I got the car back a few days later, after they had it in for service, and the SA said that they performed a software upgrade, but when looking at the invoice, the notes from the Tech., say that the software was already up to date, and that they re-initialized the adaptive values, or something.

Anyways, the car did not seem to have the issue, of course, because of the adaptive values being reset. About a couple of weeks later here, the issues have returned. So, I called my SA and setup a new appointment. He said that they will have me go for a test drive with the shop foreman.

Why can't the dealerships just contact whoever at BMWNA or whereever and research the issue, and find that the issue is occurring to multiple vehicles, and the solution is to replace the Mechatronics unit. It's at least a bit irritating to the customer to have to take the vehicle back in for service, for the same issue.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Talked to BMWNA again today, and still unwilling to help out until there are fault codes, why cant they just accept that, there are issues with their product and just fix it!

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Old 07-06-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoelax07 View Post
Talked to BMWNA again today, and still unwilling to help out until there are fault codes, why cant they just accept that, there are issues with their product and just fix it!
That was the tack my first SA took, it wasn't giving a code so there must not be anything wrong with it. If that's the litmus test, a monkey could do the same diagnostic job as a BMW mechanic.

Update - it took a week after getting the car back from the dealer putting a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in, but the hiccups returned. Usually mild, but today at one point they were more violent. And two days ago I had two violent downshifts at separate times in the 30-35 mph range. Not as bad as before I had the sleeve replaced, but haven't had anything like that lately. Calling the dealer again tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Timing is everything

Took my car to put some new tires on yesterday. When it was on the lift I thought I would walk over and have a look. To my surprise, the skid plate was barely hanging on. Seems UNITED BMW IN ROSWELL GEORGIA doesn't have competent technicians capable of finishing a job properly.

I'm starting to wonder what else cut corners on during my mechatronics install?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:12 AM

At first the SA tried to tell me the whole no fault codes thing. He knew I wasn't having it.

They ended up doing the 2-1 tip procedure and the new software. It is shifting great. My concern is how long will this last and is there already damage to my mechatronics?

Any more issues and I am going to demand a new tranny.

Last edited by Bad Debt; 07-08-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Update: Tranny replaced and while it's 95% improved, it still does the same thing to a much lesser degree. Something I can live with...

Now I get a "double bump" when it shifts into third gear.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sports Package
Update -

Had the car back for a couple weeks now. Issue resolved with the mechatronics replacement. Also, I used to have to wait several seconds for reverse to engage. The mechatronics fixed that as well. Reverse engages as you would expect. $50 deductable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togles View Post
Update -
Took the car back to the dealer this morning, went for a ride with a tech and demonstrated the issue. They just called me back and stated that they sent up the service codes for which there were no errors in to BMW and told them what was happening. They responded back later in the afternoon and told the dealer to replace the mechatronics. They have it in stock and are installing it. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
My car was doing that as well jerking in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear shifts around 30-50 mph. However, my car was also overheating and they found that it was the fan that would stop working of and on again. They replaced the the fan and fan housing as well as coolant expansion tank because it had also busted due to over heating. So since then the car has been not jerking I wonder if the fan was shutting off and that was the cause of the jerking.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
I purchased a CPO 545i last week. I am also having surging at 35-40mph. I have the previous owners service records and he reported the same issue. All they did for him was a software upgrade and told him it was geared that way and all 545i's do it. I called my SA and he said if there is no code they won't do anything. They also said if the tech test drove it and felt the surge they would submit the issue to BMW, but they probably won't do anything since there is no code showing. So basically I would be out the $95 diagnostic fee for nothing. WTF???
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJaguar View Post
I purchased a CPO 545i last week. I am also having surging at 35-40mph. I have the previous owners service records and he reported the same issue. All they did for him was a software upgrade and told him it was geared that way and all 545i's do it. I called my SA and he said if there is no code they won't do anything. They also said if the tech test drove it and felt the surge they would submit the issue to BMW, but they probably won't do anything since there is no code showing. So basically I would be out the $95 diagnostic fee for nothing. WTF???
Wow, and I thought my dealer was copping out. It is not normal, it is a mechanical problem, not all 545's do it, and BMW has authorized repairs/replacement for others for whom no error codes showed up. Can you find another dealer? Or show your SA the guys posts on this thread that have gtten fixes authorized by BMW?