Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewils View Post
Wow, and I thought my dealer was copping out. It is not normal, it is a mechanical problem, not all 545's do it, and BMW has authorized repairs/replacement for others for whom no error codes showed up. Can you find another dealer? Or show your SA the guys posts on this thread that have gtten fixes authorized by BMW?
I'm going to have to do something. It surges consistently every 3-5 seconds between 35-40mph. These BMW dealerships are crooks, here are some entries from the previous owners service record:

Bavarian BMW Utica, MI

March 26th, 2010
Client states if cruise is set to 39mph the transmission slips.
Dealer: WORKING AS DESIGNED

January 20th, 2010
Customer states when driving there is a hesitation upon acceleration.
Dealer: UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN

January 11th, 2010
Customer states vehicle is jerking when attempting to accelerate.
Dealer: UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN

In the end the dealership told him this is normal, it is just how these cars are geared so when he told me about it I didn't think anything of it, but after I did this research I've realized that is not the case. I just don't understand why BMW would throw their customers under a bus and not own up to a defect in the vehicle, it is sickening to say the least.

Last edited by VJaguar; 07-19-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
another 2005 545i trans problem. I hade the tube replaced because of the tranny leak. Also, I have the hesitation and stutter at 35-40mph. And the downshift from 2-1 is very rough. 84k miles. Should this happen to a 65k $ BMW? They want to replace the Mechatronics.

84053 Mechatronics Internally Defective. Replace cost is $4,200.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 AM

Should of bought a Japenese car.

84k miles $4,200.00 trans. what a joke.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: Ex - '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdanaher View Post
another 2005 545i trans problem. I hade the tube replaced because of the tranny leak. Also, I have the hesitation and stutter at 35-40mph. And the downshift from 2-1 is very rough. 84k miles. Should this happen to a 65k $ BMW? They want to replace the Mechatronics.

84053 Mechatronics Internally Defective. Replace cost is $4,200.
Just curious, is your car CPO'd?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 AM

05 545i transmission issue

no, it is not cpo.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdanaher View Post
no, it is not cpo.
And that's why BMW is so quick to give the corect diagnosis. I am so pissed off that they are stonewalling those of us that have CPO, while immediately telling the non-CPO people that the mechatronics needs to be replaced. Such BS
Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Important question...

For the cars that surge, when you put it in sport mode (steptronic) does it still surge?

Mind doesn't.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 545i, 01 740il
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJaguar View Post
Important question...

For the cars that surge, when you put it in sport mode (steptronic) does it still surge?

Mind doesn't.
Mine didn't. When you put it in sport it changes the shift points in the tranny for higher RPM's so never really sync'd at the proper RPMs and speed to skip. I think the issue has to do with the mechanics wanting to be in either a higher or lower gear at the 35-40mph rpm range.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben's 545i View Post
Mine didn't. When you put it in sport it changes the shift points in the tranny for higher RPM's so never really sync'd at the proper RPMs and speed to skip. I think the issue has to do with the mechanics wanting to be in either a higher or lower gear at the 35-40mph rpm range.
My SA said if it doesn't 'surge' in sport mode than there probably isn't a physical issue with the transmission. He's having a tech check it out though...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 AM

545 trans

No, while in sport mode it is fine. Thanks, Pat
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Same for me, sport mode has no problems.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
My SA said if it doesn't 'surge' in sport mode than there probably isn't a physical issue with the transmission. He's having a tech check it out though...
That doesn't make sense. In sport mode, you are the one doing the shifting so there would be no surge. The car can't hunt for the right gear, because it isn't the one making the shifting decisions.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Agree Mike.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. In sport mode, you are the one doing the shifting so there would be no surge. The car can't hunt for the right gear, because it isn't the one making the shifting decisions.
Very good point.

Dealer just called back, all they did was a reset (which I could have done). Said the tech drove it and no more surge, then he drove it and the surge came back, but not as harsh. But since there isn't a code nothing can be done...

I guess I'm going to have to call BMWNA myself.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Very good point.

Dealer just called back, all they did was a reset (which I could have done). Said the tech drove it and no more surge, then he drove it and the surge came back, but not as harsh. But since there isn't a code nothing can be done...

I guess I'm going to have to call BMWNA myself.
This is the point I am stuck at, called BMWNA, and they stated without a code they could not proceed. If I wanted to have the mechtronics replaced I could pay for it myself, and if this fixes the surging they would look into the possibility of good willing a portion of the total, even though it was under factory warranty when this started. Let us know if you make it anywhere with BMWNA.

2006 750i Black Sapphire, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Comfort Access, Comfort Seating, Cooled seats, Heated Rear Seats, MTEC Angel Eyes.
2005 545i Titanium Grey, Sport Package, PDC, Navigation, Active Steering, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, K40 Caliber Built in Radar System
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Timing is everything

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Mine surged when coming to a stop and when accelerating in either normal or sport mode. Since the mechatronics replacement the problem has ceased. I feel for everyone getting the run around, it is a shame to see how BMW is handling those under CPO and those out.

Has anyone tried to file a complaint with the BBB, it usually get's peoples attention. At this point what do you have to lose?

Also, if you live near Atlanta you could drive down and have the car looked at by me local dealership as my car was fixed almost no questions asked...almost.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwapro View Post
I got the car back a few days later, after they had it in for service, and the SA said that they performed a software upgrade, but when looking at the invoice, the notes from the Tech., say that the software was already up to date, and that they re-initialized the adaptive values, or something.

Anyways, the car did not seem to have the issue, of course, because of the adaptive values being reset. About a couple of weeks later here, the issues have returned. So, I called my SA and setup a new appointment. He said that they will have me go for a test drive with the shop foreman.

Why can't the dealerships just contact whoever at BMWNA or whereever and research the issue, and find that the issue is occurring to multiple vehicles, and the solution is to replace the Mechatronics unit. It's at least a bit irritating to the customer to have to take the vehicle back in for service, for the same issue.
Took the car back again, and this time, went for a ride with the shop foreman. I replicated the issue, of the hesitation in the transmission shifting, between the 35 - 40 mph point. I'm thinking of calling another dealer, or maybe getting a lawyer. BMW is not being consistent in this. They need to release a new bulletin to all of the dealerships, and get this resolved.

Who should I contact regarding this: NTSB, or are they just for safety; BBB, but I don't want to open an issue with the BBB on just the local dealer. I want to do it on BMW as a whole.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Well, I opened a complaint to the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
Old 07-27-2010, 11:02 AM

My car is in for the 5th time (yes, really) to fix this. If they don't replace the mechatronics this time, I'm filing complaints with the BBB and NHTSA on BMW NA. Its obvious they know there is a problem and what the proper fix is, but won't step up if the car is still under warranty.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
This is a topic that a true class action suit could work on. This is significant enough and effects nearly every owner.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Update - My SA called yesterday evening and said that BMW had finally authorized them to replace the mechatronics. The part should be in tomorrow. The SA said that it seems like BMW is slowly realizing they do have a problem. So, although we should not have to persist on the dealers and BMW to this extent, it seems persistence will pay off. But I am realizing that getting resolution can be an SA problem as much as a BMW NA problem. If your SA wonít do anything because there isnít a code, get a different SA or go to a different dealer (if you can). I had to switch SAs at my dealer because the first one said the issue was all in my head. And its obvious that BMW isnít making this problem known to its entire network so I suspect fixes will have to be pursued on an ICB for the near future at least.

After the engine issues on the early E46 M3 and the HPFP issues on the N54-engined cars, and now this (granted, not as catastrophic as those), BMW may have some Toyota-size problems pretty soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Update - My SA called yesterday evening and said that BMW had finally authorized them to replace the mechatronics. The part should be in tomorrow. The SA said that it seems like BMW is slowly realizing they do have a problem. So, although we should not have to persist on the dealers and BMW to this extent, it seems persistence will pay off. But I am realizing that getting resolution can be an SA problem as much as a BMW NA problem. If your SA wonít do anything because there isnít a code, get a different SA or go to a different dealer (if you can). I had to switch SAs at my dealer because the first one said the issue was all in my head. And its obvious that BMW isnít making this problem known to its entire network so I suspect fixes will have to be pursued on an ICB for the near future at least.

After the engine issues on the early E46 M3 and the HPFP issues on the N54-engined cars, and now this (granted, not as catastrophic as those), BMW may have some Toyota-size problems pretty soon.
Good points Mike and glad they are finally helping you out!

It all depends on how hard your SA and the Tech fight for you with BMW on the PUMA case. BMW has got to know by now that something is going on since a bunch of us have had replacements. Just think of all the others that have the same issue that aren't on forums. The 6HP26 is also used in the E65's and E53's - I wonder if they are complaining of the same symtoms?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Had my car 2004 545i (78,250 miles) serviced at BMW dealership in Long Island for a defective transmission pan leaking AT fluid. Dealership replaced and test drove before I picked it up but also denoted that there was an oil leak attributed to vaccum pump/vanos seals which needed to be replaced soon.

As I was driving it back to NJ from Long Island delaership I noticed a 'kick/jerk/slip' as car decelerated several times. Drove the car to the market on Sunday and on the way back warning engine malfunction stating 'engine operating at reduced output'.

Emailed the SA in Long Island that replaced defective transmission pan/AT fluid and he felt it may be attributed to oil leak and bad vaccum pump/seals and have it looked at ASAP. Someone on this thread denoted that there transmission slip was attributed to the vanos seals and had it replaced.

My local SA in NJ just emailed me stating:

"Looks like the trans is bad waiting for BMWNA to get back to us we sent them all the faults sorry for the bad news"

From this thread it seems like program updates and or mechatronic replacement is the 'common' approach in dealing with this issue. No CPO but can I fight for a PUMA/Good Will Case given the 9 pages worth of blogs/owners going through this same problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a Benz owner and never had a problem until getting into this 545i (and only on my 4th week).
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheezee View Post

From this thread it seems like program updates and or mechatronic replacement is the 'common' approach in dealing with this issue. No CPO but can I fight for a PUMA/Good Will Case given the 9 pages worth of blogs/owners going through this same problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a Benz owner and never had a problem until getting into this 545i (and only on my 4th week).
I too was out of warranty and after a few trips to dealer they opened a PUMA and authorized mechatronics replacement. As I said in my last post I think the replacement has to do with your relationship with the SA and how hard they are willing to fight for you.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Lets All of Us do a complain at NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), this will definitely grab BMWNA's attention.